[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im getting a newish car tomorrow and dont really have a clue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10
File: lancer.jpg (201 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
lancer.jpg
201 KB, 1920x1080
Im getting a newish car tomorrow and dont really have a clue as to what I want. I have never had a car that wasnt at least a decade old. I cant find a manual anywhere. It is suffering.
Im looking at the Lancer ES right now. fiarly cheap, looks alright. should be fun to drive.
Any advice /o/?
>>
>>14841125
Get SE you faggot.
>>
>>14841125
>>14841138
Also, DO NOT GET THE CVT AUTOMATIC, SAFE YOUR MONEY AND GET MANUAL YOU FAGGOT.
>>
>>14841138
>>14841167
I would if I can find one. Ive only looked online so far and will start trolling the dealershits tomorrow.
I do agree that a manual SE would be perfect. Just wondering if a lancer was a quick path to fucking up.
>>
>>14841125
I drive a 09 Lancer GTS, ask me anything

BUT DONT GET THE FUCKING CVT

Seriously. This isn't "muh manual feels" or anything. The 5spd is an objectively better transmission that doesn't make the car unreliable and gutless.
>>
>>14841125
>Im getting a newish car tomorrow
>dont really have a clue as to what I want

Not the greatest combination there...
>>
>>14841335
I know not to get a CVT. The idea is used for mopeds, not cars. I really want a mantran. I havent driven an autotragic since i was 16 and dont plan on going back. shit is just borring.

>>14841336
I know what i want in terms of a car. Dont know what make an model to look for. I usualy hunt craigslist for beaters but Ive taken a credit hit and cant into a personal loan or Id be getting a 944.
So long story short, just not really sure what isnt shit in the new car maket and dont want to go vanilla.
>>
>>14841368
Yeah, just don't rush it. Take your time to assess all your options before pulling the trigger.
>>
>>14841125
It's an A to B car, about as fun as any other FWD commuter in manual. The paint and interior are shit but that's Mitsubishi for you.

It's not going to break down or explode on you, and the 5spd manual is bombproof. It looks alright, at least different to the clown shoes and formless blobs offered by everyone else trying to look more upmarket. Just don't rice it out.
>>
File: 1454818084599.jpg (247 KB, 500x507) Image search: [Google]
1454818084599.jpg
247 KB, 500x507
>>14841602
These are all good points and why Ive settles on the lancer. For me it has to have at least a little bit of character. I just really wish the base model had more toys.
I also havent seen aything from 2011 and up for sale so far telling me that people who buy them dont let go often, or they explode. good to know its the former.
>>
File: Mazda3(1).jpg (807 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Mazda3(1).jpg
807 KB, 2560x1440
>>14841125
Where are you?

People only buy the Lancer because it can be found cheap. It's an older design by now, because Mitsubishi hasn't had the money to redesign it on the usual schedule (5-6 years). The current model is almost a decade old! In short - it's not very competitive anymore. Price can make up for that, but you might as well buy used because you'd be getting the same damn car.

The good compacts are the USDM Civic (all-rounder), Mazda3 (fun but more road noise), and VW Golf (nicer but less reliable). The Civic has very spacious back seats. The Golf's are pretty good but the trunk is woefully short. The Mazda3 has tigher back seats but a good trunk. I'd say the Mazda3 has the best manual transmission of the bunch. Not by a ton, though. It's no Miata - which you should drive just to feel how different it is from normal cars. No, really. Or a BRZ/GT86 if you need a roof, it's similar enough in feel.
>>
>>14841125
I CANNOT BELIEVE THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE WILLING TO SPEND THIS KIND OF MONEY AND THEY DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY WANT TO BUY WITH IT BUT THEY WILL BUY WHATEVER THE SALESMAN SAYS
>>
File: daria.jpg (148 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
daria.jpg
148 KB, 960x720
>>14841684
Good advice, I was looking into the mazdas but im not really into hot hatches. Does the rotery engine feel diffrent with a manual then a 4cyl would? Would the rev range be a diffrent?

>>14841696
>I dont know know how credit works.

ps: my current ride.
>>
>>14841741
The Mazda3 doesn't have a rotary engine
>>
>>14841962
You are right. my bad. I should google more before i post.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 517x231) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 517x231
>>14841125
I own the 2 Mitsubishi in the pic, black lancer is a 2015 SE model.

Pretty good car, nice simple interior. Doesn't have any extra shit you don't need, and everything is laid out well. Good visibility, mpg is decent. Timing chain so that's a nonissue.

If you want lcd displays, screens everywhere, digital gauges, etc this isn't the car for you. If you want a car that is just a normal car that doesn't pretend to be anything different, then I think you'd be pretty happy.

If you want the fluff of digital displays and all that other crap, you'd need to look into some of the competitors.
>>
>>14841125
It doesn't matter, your dad is going to buy what he wants you to drive, your input means literally zero.
>>
>>14841368
The CVT is inspired by the progressive clutches on top fuel dragsters, much more than mopeds.

It's still shit tho.
>>
>>14842040
Thats what ive seen so far. I like it I just wish It had a little more like an AUX for my phone in the stock stero and maybe satnavi. But I guess i can add those in later for the price that they are going for. Hows the eclipse?

>>14842068
dad died 5 years ago bro. cancer is no joke. that means you.

>>14842085
>inspired
doesnt mean its good. The CVT (in theory) would be decent for a mid torque low rpm engine but it would be useless in traffic I feel considering where I live everyone is in NASCAR training on their commute.

>>14841684
forgot to mention, SC
>>
>>14842113
My post definitely said it's shit, was just correcting you.
>>
>>14842113

If you want a cheap commuter, Fiats come in manual, they're pretty no frills, inexpensive, good on gas and don't feel quite as gutless as a lot of the smaller cars.
>>
>>14841684
Mazda shill shilling hard.
>>
File: 1446180060001.jpg (324 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
1446180060001.jpg
324 KB, 900x1200
>>14842127
Yeah, on my way to drunk. Reading is not quite working well.
Should of had a V8
>>
>>14841741
you are for a fact a massive loser
>>
>>14842137
It is something i have considered. Hows the storage space?
they are in my price range and I do like driving on 3 wheels...
>>
>>14841317
>I do agree that a manual SE would be perfect
the se only came in CVT. so avoid like plague.

If you plan to do anything other than suspension dress-up modifications then look else where. the 4b11 and 4b12 stay under 200whp with the full compliment of mods and tuning (na). the same amount of money and effort put on something else will net better gains. Sticking a turbo on it does break the 200hp barrier but also decreases reliability on a motor that tends to be a wild card stock.

also know how the warranty works. Being a pretty basic car the dealer will be looking for every selling point. If the dealer tries to sell the idea that the lancer is warrantied by mitsu till 100k, tell him he's full of shit. 100k warranty is for the 1st owner only. second owner is covered till the odo shows 60k and any owner afterwards gets no coverage. So if the car has had more than 2 owners and/or has more the 60k miles, then you're on your own.
>>
>>14842166

Storage is minimal. I use mine for weekly grocery shopping and shit like that. Today I bought a 6' rug and it was probably 6 inches too short so it was between the front seats. I store most stuff under the front seats, like the jack/air compressor, jumper cables, socket set, etc. It also has an AUX and USB port, bluetooth, stereo control in the steering wheel and all that shit. Mine's been pretty solid after 2 years and almost 40k miles.
>>
File: alotofbait.gif (571 KB, 199x199) Image search: [Google]
alotofbait.gif
571 KB, 199x199
>>14842163
>

>>14842178
>SE only comes in CVT. If that includes the earlier models, I want to cry. Destruction of a perfectly good car.

>>14842181
Sounds alright. I like some toys and being in manual is appealing. I would love another Saab 900s but alas, that dream is long dead. Im more or less looking for a commuter/ rare road trip car for just me so passanger room is not even on the list. How is the maintance?
>>
>>14842166
Not him, and no idea about fiat, but the fiesta is pretty OK if you're in that market. It feels pretty gutless in normal mode, but in sport mode is not a slug if you give it some throttle. And I'm only speaking to the base model, not the ST. And the interior is surprisingly UN shit.

Though I will say, after 6,000 miles in two months, red lining every single take off until I'm at speed, the engine is making a LOT of valve train noise, and it was over a quart low on oil.
>>
>>14842222

Maintenance so far has been pretty much what you'd expect from any new car. Oil changes are every 8k miles. I've been doing full synthetic but I also got a deal with free oil changes so I end up paying about $30 each time out of pocket. If you're going to road trip it, I would suggest getting a spare tire kit installed. It only comes with a compressor and some of that glue stuff for fixing a flat which might work for a nail but if your tire gets torn up you're going to be shit out of luck. I'm 6'2 and it's relatively comfortable for long drives and my knees aren't cramped nor is my head. Might be different if you have a sunroof or the convertible. I've also had mine up to about 110mph and it felt pretty solid.
>>
>>14842222
>If that includes the earlier models, I want to cry.
Yes, that includes the earlier models. the se trim came out in 2012 w/cvt only and has never had a manual option in the US.

srry m8
>>
File: 1451866765876-3.jpg (346 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1451866765876-3.jpg
346 KB, 800x800
>>14842232
This is why im not a big fan of american makes. I have had a few and they are ok but there is just something hollow about them. A lot of them have power but never seem to put it to good use.

>>14842255
sounds intresting. I will put one on my list of things to test drive tomorrow. Thanks anon.

>>14842321
Why, God...why...
>>
>>14842328
they didn't want the possibility of it stepping on the heels of the EVO. They want clear concise levels of performance meaning everything is gimpped except for the evo gsr
>>
>>14842328
It's not American, bro, that fiesta is nothing but Mazda. And for the record, that car has had a very hard life. My described behavior is the worst possible way to treat a vehicle. And it always started off each day dead cold to redline within seconds. If anything it's amazing it's still running. Forgot earlier, storage is pretty good too, regularly hold big ass stacks of car parts including hundreds of pounds of brake rotors, radiators for big ass trucks, solid rear axles, and 40 bags of oil absorbent on one trip.
>>
File: margret_hamelton.gif (262 KB, 566x719) Image search: [Google]
margret_hamelton.gif
262 KB, 566x719
>>14842361
Makes since. that being said. I would really like the EVO and hate that there is an almost 10k -20k price jump for it compared with the base model.

>>14842374
that may be true, but everytime i see one i think of the Aspire(to be car). So, I have some bias. sue me...
>>
>>14842113
Stock radio should have USB input, it's hidden up inside the glove box.
>>
>>14842412
noice!
>>
>>14841741
>not really into hot hatches
When did he mention any hot hatches?
>>
>>14842412
what

I don't have shit in my glovebox.
>>
>>14842549
>if lancer
depending on what year, there should be a 3.5mm jack, a red & white component input, or both in the center cubby near the ash tray.
>>
>>14842549
Same gen?

It's hard to see, left side tucked up under inside the glove box is a USB input.
>>
>>14842615
I can take a pic tomorrow.

My sister has a 2013 lancer and owned it for over a month and didn't realize it was there either.
>>
>>14842627
But does she do anal?
>>
>>14842615
Inside the glovebox or behind it?
>>
>>14842667
Maybe I don't know.

>>14842676
Inside. You open it up and it's tucked up inside to the left.
>>
>>14842691

My Fiat is like that. USB and AUX port are in the upper left side of the glovebox. In the new models they're down by the cupholders.
>>
>>14842744
Yeah I guess it would be a pain in the ass if you were accessing it all the time but I tend to just dump a bunch of music on it and keep like that for a few weeks.
>>
>>14842615
Owner of a 2015 lancer Es cvt and yes there's a usb there. I have the fuse hands free Bluetooth thing so I just connect my phone with that and play music
>>
>>14842691
Nope, nothing in mine. It's a 2010 Ralliart.
>>
File: porayy.gif (2 MB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
porayy.gif
2 MB, 750x750
Not OP but also don't know shit about cars
by next year I want to buy a nissan altima or honda civic/accord or maybe even a toyota if the price is good
Which of these or even others are worth getting friends? anything over 2011 is pref
I saw the nissan altima 2.5 s on the street like the way it looked and such

Thanks in advance for the help :)
>>
>>14843511
Maybe it's only 2012 and up or something.

If you google image "lancer USB location" there's multiple locations. Some are in the glovebox, some in the centre console, etc. Its strange they would have all these different locations in the same generation lol.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.