[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did Top Gear really drive to the North Pole? I'm having
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
Did Top Gear really drive to the North Pole? I'm having a hard time believing it.

"On the morning of 2 May 2007 the GPS system confirmed that the team had reached the 1996 location of the magnetic north pole at 78°35.7′N 104°11.9′W (or at least at 78°35′7″N 104°11′9″W, the reading showing on the GPS in the program, which is 0.7 miles SSE of it), making them the first people to reach within a mile of the magnetic north pole location of any year in a motor vehicle. From there, the Top Gear presenters were evacuated by plane, while the team drove on to the disused Isachsen weather station, where they made camp and checked the vehicles to make sure they were in good enough condition to make the return trip to Resolute."

I realize it's usually frozen over with ice that is 9 feet thick but it still seems so dangerous especially for someone as big of a twat as Jeremy Clarkson that could fuck it up at any moment by slamming his foot down on the throttle and going WOT.

Given the opportunity would /o/ drive to the North Pole?
>>
>>14837842
>Given the opportunity would /o/ drive to the North Pole?
if i had the team that old 2007 topgear had absolutely.

But i am not clarkson, may or hammond or the crew so no.

Also those old hiluxes where unkillable unlike the new horrible things.
>>
>>14837842
Yes they did.

>>14837871
>Also those old hiluxes where unkillable unlike the new horrible things.
wait what? Toyotas can't break.
>>
>mfw
>>
>>14837871

>Also those old hiluxes where unkillable
Honestly you can kill anything if you really want to.

You wouldn't feel uncomfortable in a 2 ton truck with 2 fully sized adults plus supplies driving around on ice that could only be a few inches thick?

If it breaks through the ice, you are falling straight down faster then an anchor.

I know they made it but they had various scouts doing all the work for them. I doubt you'd have the same :/
>>
File: 333.png (357 KB, 1297x594) Image search: [Google]
333.png
357 KB, 1297x594
So they drove to Canada?
Must be really hard
>Muricans not knowing difference between Geographic and Magnetic North Poles
>>
>>14837912
>If it breaks through the ice, you are falling straight down faster then an anchor.
didnt they have like 2 scouts?

i'd do it would be the trip of a lifetime.

its definetly one of the best tv episodes nay entertainment i have ever seen.
>>
seems believable enough
also: there's this russian dude who regularly crosses from russia to canada with specially made vehicles and in some interview he more or less said that he believes it.
the russians website: pretty interresting vehicles he has
http://yemelya-yemelya.blogspot.com.au/

would absolutely do it given the chance
modifying a regular car, so that it survives in the arctic or antarctic would be one of my dreams
>>
I did a lot stupider quests when I lived in Alaska with my '97 exploder. I am amazed this hasn't been done before.
>>
File: Okay.png (383 KB, 680x875) Image search: [Google]
Okay.png
383 KB, 680x875
>>14838048

Damn

Damn

I wasn't expecting the magnetic north pole to be that far away from the geographic north pole. I remember them showing a map and it looked like it was pretty far north.

Damn
>>
>>14837912
>If it breaks through the ice, you are falling straight down faster then an anchor.
cars sink pretty slowly compared to an anchor. If the cabin is sealed, it actually sinks pretty slowly period.
>>
>>14838217

TG had an episode where they sunk Richard Hammon in car. It was nearly impossible to open the door unless water had filled the cabin and even then it was still pretty hard. Breaking the windows wasn't easy either.

Plus there was all this weight in the back of the truck.
>>
>>14837842
>someone as big of a twat as Jeremy Clarkson that could fuck it up at any moment by slamming his foot down on the throttle and going WOT.

But he kinda did, he busted one of the two gas tanks after getting impatient with the slow going of the rough areas.

Also I thought it was actual geographic north and not magnetic north.
>>
>>14838341
Kek i misread that too

Still thin ice is thin ice
>>14838233
This fuck going into water EVER in a car.
>>
>>14837842

It's not really hard to achieve these days when you're in a convoy people do it quite often, it's a little sketchy if you're soloing it, if your engine stops you're pretty much dead.

People can make it to the pole by pedal bike or dog sled, sitting in a warm truck for 2000 miles is pretty easy compared to that.

It's too flat and boring for me.
>>
>>14837842

Hell no, it's COLD up there.
>>
>>14838849

It's not just sitting in a truck. You could fall through the ice at any time.

Gotta sleep outside.

Gotta shit in 30 seconds or else no more kids.

Probs gotta help digging too.

All for a photo opportunity and a good story to tell to people.
>>
>>14839052
Or you could just build a proper coldproof RV with hugeass tires or tracks like a tank and keep that shit inside, traveling like the biggest couch potato of all time like you oughta.
>>
>>14837912
>straight down faster than an anchor
All objects fall at the same speed, regardless of mass
>>
>>14839177
In vacuum maybe you half-knowledge douche, try dropping a feather and a bowling ball.
>>
>>14839177
not when a fluid is involved
>>
>>14839184
>confusing air resistance with gravity

oh boy
>>
>>14839208
I referred specifically to air resistance
>>
>>14837871
>Also those old hiluxes where unkillable
lolno.
>built in thailand and argentina
>cracks exhaust manifolds all day
>>
File: ShinjiKazama_TW200.jpg (98 KB, 1000x545) Image search: [Google]
ShinjiKazama_TW200.jpg
98 KB, 1000x545
>>14837842

Fuck no, i'd ride there on a farm bike like a real man.

And then i'd ride to the South Pole because why the fuck not.
>>
File: 1460551983140.png (516 KB, 1297x594) Image search: [Google]
1460551983140.png
516 KB, 1297x594
>>14838048
So basically they did pic related.
>>
>>14839269
so like 450 kms
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.