[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I paid my mechanic in cash for a rack replacement, and apparently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8
File: carmechanicpic1.jpg (2 MB, 1698x1131) Image search: [Google]
carmechanicpic1.jpg
2 MB, 1698x1131
I paid my mechanic in cash for a rack replacement, and apparently he had lost the money and found it again. He wants me to come in tomorrow and give him an empty envelope.

Is there any way he is trying to pull something shady that could affect me? I've been using him for several years and I generally trust him.
>>
File: 1375188427483.jpg (47 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1375188427483.jpg
47 KB, 300x300
>he's actually falling for the old empty envelope
>>
>>14827749
Good ol' tradesman trick... I thought these slime balls had came up with something new by now.
>>
File: 322.gif (3 MB, 250x255) Image search: [Google]
322.gif
3 MB, 250x255
>>14827749
>Asking for an empty envelope
>Falling this hard for such OBVIOUS, blatant trickery
OP you are literally retarded and should have your license pulled.
>>
do it OP, what could possibly go wrong
>>
Take the envelope
Use it to burn the shop down
>>
File: look at this dog.jpg (839 KB, 2167x2890) Image search: [Google]
look at this dog.jpg
839 KB, 2167x2890
>>14827749
kek, the ol' empty envelope. I haven't heard of that one in a while.
>>
maybe he wants you to be seen on camera paying him so his boss won't fire him?
>>
I've never heard of this scam before, somebody please explain it to me.
>>
File: 1371421683047.gif (1 MB, 266x268) Image search: [Google]
1371421683047.gif
1 MB, 266x268
>>14827839
>>14827850
Can you guys honestly not put together how the empty envelope trick works? Think about it for 10 seconds.
>>
>>14827850
You pay the mechanic under the table so he gets all the money and doesn't have to split it with the shop. You come back when the work is done and hand him an empty envelope so it looks like he got paid legally. Don't know how they fake the books on it though.
>>
>>14827749
>not changing your rack yourself

what a cuck bitch
>>
File: c'mon son.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
c'mon son.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>14827839
>>14827850
>>
>>14827860
I understand. OP, you have to shit in the envelope before the mechanic does so you get your money back.
>>
>>14827883
>not using anthrax
>>
all jokes aside OP you should contact local law enforcement, getting empty enveloped is nasty, happened to another poster about a year ago IIRC might want to check the archive, he ended up losing over $15k
>>
>>14827873
I get that he's skimming off the shop, but I don't understand why he needs you to give him an envelope to do it?
>>
>>14827953
To make it look like he got paid legally with witnesses around or a camera.
>>
>>14827963
but how would this affect OP?
>>
File: r u retarded.gif (313 KB, 245x180) Image search: [Google]
r u retarded.gif
313 KB, 245x180
>>14827971

>(You)
>>
>>14827971
It won't. He just plays dumb and gives him the envelope. If the shop calls and asks all he has to say is he paid the mechanic and he doesn't know what the mechanic did with the money. Or the mechanic might try to charge OP again since there is no proof of payment. No receipt=no proof
>>
>>14827749
If you have the receipt showing you paid the full amount I don't think there would be any problem
>>
>>14827952
>he ended up losing over $15k
How?
>>
just switch mechanics
>>
>>14827985
there is a receipt. Paid 3/4 in cash, the rest in debt
>>
This happened to me, I had to go to court and pay for legal fees just to prove I was actually a victim. OP don't do it
>>
>>14828194
Get the law involved like the other anon said. The mechanic is either gonna screw you over or the shop. Probably the shop since you've been a customer for so long. Then again you never know.
>>
>>14828235
how would the mechanic even screw him over?
Legit curious.

If he's caught on camera handing the guy an empty envelope but has all the proof that he paid in full, what is the deal?
>>
force feed him the envelope and then plow his wife its the only way out
>>
>>14828278
He only paid 3/4 of it. Unless that amount left to be paid is on the receipt then it is his word against the mechanics on how much is left to pay. Also the OP said he only wants am empty envelope and not the rest of the payment. Hard to tell the motive of the mechanic so idk who he is trying to screw over.
>>
>>14828278
Wondering this too. I will send thinking MAYBE the mechanic just wanted some sort of proof OP paid, even if the evidence was fraudulent. But if he has a receipt, what's the point?
>>
>>14828310
Also forgot to mention that may not be a legit receipt. If it's signed by the OP then he agreed to that amount and to pay off the rest. Whatever it may be if it's not specified on the receipt.
>>
>>14828323
Sorry I misread OPS post. If he put it on a credit card then ya it's paid in full.
>>
>drive newer (after 2001) car
>have dexterity of crippled ape
>read this
>still extremely nervous about taking car anywhere for service short of state bullshit (inspections)
>>
>>14828323
>>14828313
>>14828310

OP here

I paid the full invoice, 3/4 cash and the rest in debt. It is 100% paid off on paper. It says amount paid in full.
>>
>>14828345
Then maybe he pocketed the cash and just wants the envelope to have eyewitness proof that you paid the rest. Like I said idk who he is trying to scam here. I think maybe he took the money, spent it, then replaced it with his own and trying to make it look legit with the envelope.
>>
>>14828368
would it be best to just tell him I'm too busy and that if there are any problems, he or his boss can call me?

I am trying to think how he could claim that I didn't pay the remaining amount that was paid in cash or something.

The total is displayed on the invoice, but my debt card maxed out and I payed the rest in cash, so the bank statement only shows the max debt withdrawal, and then the about I withdrew separately to pay in cash.
>>
>>14827938
Thiss

You don't see old timers like this anymore round these places
>>
>>14828368
so is he just trying to save face? IDK if this is something OP should be worried about
>>
File: envelope.jpg (57 KB, 341x499) Image search: [Google]
envelope.jpg
57 KB, 341x499
Is this a troll thread or are OP and a bunch of posters that clueless? How do you not know about the Tallahassee Empty E?
>>
>>14828613
Baffling, isn't it?
>>
>>14828400
Just call his boss and ask what the deal is. It is the best way to protect yourself. If what he's doing is legit, the boss will be able to tell you why, if it's not legit then atleast the boss hears your own side of the story before his employee can bullshit him that you are trying to get out of payment. If he wants an empty envelope tell him to go to the stationery shop and buy one himself
>>
I really don't get it, what the hell is the empty envelope scam you all seem to know about?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.