[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which road legal enduro type bike?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7
File: 12_450_Enduro_Shootout-14.jpg (604 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
12_450_Enduro_Shootout-14.jpg
604 KB, 1280x960
I need some input from those of you with experience in the field...

I own and ride sports bikes generally, but I want an enduro for a bit of green laning and general dicking about. Nothing hardcore, just a bit of trail riding and perhaps riding around on farm land. I'd also like to be able to ride it on the road, but only probably a maximum of 20 miles on any given trip, so comfort not really an issue.

I've ridden off road bikes when I was younger (CR250 mostly), but I'm not up to date with it all these days, can you help?

Some of my thoughts so far....

I was brought up on 2 strokes, but in my scenario is a 4 stroke a better option? I do my on maintenance, if that helps.

I'm torn between exciting but more hassle, or dull and easier to live with. I have looked at a wide variety of bikes so far.....DRZ400, WR450, CRF450, KLX450, FE450, XCF450, or even a KTM 2 stroke.

Guide me bros....
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (850 KB, 2000x1124) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
850 KB, 2000x1124
Just for puttering around, maybe a DRZ if you can find a nice used one. Cheap, reliable, ok power, but dated and heavy (compared to real enduros).

Out of the Japs, a WR450F is probaly the best. Reliable for a race bike, I hear.

The Katoom EXCs are best race enduros for the road, thanks to 6 gears and a bigger oil capacity. A 350 might suit you.

Or just pic related, TW200.
>>
>>14825331
Thanks, mate.

If I'm honest, the two that keep coming to mind after I've spent hours trying to research them all are the DRZ and the WR.
>>
>>14825276
DRZ-400s
>>
>>14825595
Thanks, how much quicker is the WR in real world experience, any idea?
>>
>>14825728
Much faster and more nimble
>>
File: wr250x TURBO.jpg (210 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
wr250x TURBO.jpg
210 KB, 1024x768
>>14825728
I did an EXTENSIVE (yeah, capslock - extensive) research into the subject with autistic piety and came to the conclusion that:
1: DRZ - fix with a hammer, cheap, fun to ride but no power (rode it many times myself) and that nopower gets under your skin in time
2: KTM690 - what I ended up getting -reliable(do not listen to /o/ on this matter, these have some lemons but are ridden around the world constantly, I have done 10000km without any hassles, did 4000km in one week once without maintenance other than before and after trip. Also, highway riding is very tolerable, vibrations are only bad for 60-year-olds)
3: WR450 - what I tried to get but it was sold from under my nose :( , reliable, powerful, lightest of the bunch, requires a crapload more maintenance to the 690 though as it isn't a road bike to begin with. The engine is reliable I hear.

4:I also seriously considered the KTM530 as it has been ridden around the world and is still an enduro bike... Been reliable according to most owners except some cases here and there. But more maint' than the 690.

It requires mention that I live in Finland and KTM dealers are in every city block over here. Within 20km there are 2 official service / dealership shops and a load of enthusiasts so getting parts etc. is not a prob here.

I've had the 690 for 4 years already, next bike will be another 690, 450/530 or a hypermotard.
Also Honda has started to sell the CRF450 as a road legal model! Very interesting!

pic not very related but nice
>>
File: whatbiekisgud.jpg (81 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
whatbiekisgud.jpg
81 KB, 450x600
>>14826463
here,
this anon speaks wisdom>>14825331
and has a good taste in pictures as well
>>
>>14826463
I have a 530. No issues ever. Except needs a re-ring ever 10,000 miles.
Bout 40,000 miles in of hard off road and lots of on road and still on the original fork seals too.
>>
File: 690smc view.jpg (371 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
690smc view.jpg
371 KB, 1024x683
>>14826489
nice to hear.
KTM the shit
>>
>>14826463
Thanks man, and yes, I am in the UK, so I do have the option of a road legal CRF450
>>
File: Untitled_22j.png (972 KB, 841x774) Image search: [Google]
Untitled_22j.png
972 KB, 841x774
Touge king say stay Thr fuck off my touge ty ty
>>
>>14826489
Thanks, that sounds ideal, maintenance wise
>>
I bought a CRF250L a couple years ago, and it's awesome for my uses, which sounds similar to yours. I take it on extended road rides with 650's sometimes, no issues keeping up. I ride the hell out of it on trails, and it does real good there. Gas mileage is incredible, around 70. I geared it down one and up two, as the stock gearing is all street. 1st was terrible, now it's right where it should be. Power wise it's alright, pipe and tune like I did makes the difference. Also can't be shy about letting it beat off the rev limiter for hillclimbs. If you think you should upshift or start in a higher gear, rule of thumb is don't do it. It also requires almost no maintenance compared to other bikes due to the shimmed valves and such. The platform was designed to be durable and able to survive as a third world country shitbike.

If you want to do power wheelies and go above 80mph, don't consider this bike. If not, it's a really good choice - if you want to mod a bike. Stock they are geared too tall, the tires suck balls, and they feel really anemic. Once you have the basics done, it's a great bike and retain the incredible reliability.
>>
File: SHNF.jpg (548 KB, 1080x1845) Image search: [Google]
SHNF.jpg
548 KB, 1080x1845
DR650 here, all other enduro bikes are fucking shit

especially the newer DRZ's. Every single person I know who owns one has had the electrics shit out catastrophically on them.
>>
>>14826875
>heavy
>low power for such a huge engine
No thanks
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.