[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck do I mod my car if I'm moving to California?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: 1443114742589.jpg (57 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
1443114742589.jpg
57 KB, 620x387
How the fuck do I mod my car if I'm moving to California?

Apparently I can't do anything that involves air which means no exhaust, headers, intake or any kind of FI. The fuck is this trash? I have to move to Cali for the military soon so I have no other option.
>>
>>14766345
You buy CARB certified mods. If there aren't any for your car or they aren't what you are looking for, too bad, so sad.

Should have thought twice about exposing your ass to being forced into CA.
>>
>>14766355
I drive a 2008 Mustang GT.

How do I know what is CARB certified? Are there any loopholes?
>>
I live in Cali. Own a car with aftermarket exhaust and engine tune. All you need to do is re install stock parts and tune it back to stock every 2 years.
>>
Be that guy who has a pre 1975 daily driver.
>>
>>14766345
I pay my local smog guy 20 bucks extra to pass my car. You can be lucky and do that, or do what >>14766371 says
>>
>>14766371
Ain't no one got time to change out long tubes every two years fuck that shit.
>>
>>14766361
Parts will be advertised as CARB certified or 50 state legal, or CA legal.

There aren't many. The CARB charges huge extortion fees to certify parts, and most manufactures do not want to pay it.

As others have said you can do illegal stuff. They will probably want to smog your car when you bring it in then you should be good for two years. Be warned though cops do ask to look under your hood and they do operate road side smog machines. If they bust you, you end up having to go to a smog ref for a through inspection.

Also if you have any personal firearms look up the California laws, those can totally fuck you too.
>>
Just do whatever the fuck you want, then give the emissions guy 20 bucks to pass.
>>
>>14766381
some guys will report you for trying to bribe them, if OP is really in the military he doesn't need that kind of trouble.
>>
>>14766361
It has a CARB EO Number, vendors will usually have information on what is certified and what isn't.

For Mustangs, almost all Ford Racing kits and many aftermarket catbacks have #s. For FI, certain kits have #s, even Hellions and lots of SC kits.

Loopholes?
Do this >>14766371, or just don't register your car in CA.
The gist of intake/exhaust mods is you can fuck with anything before the MAF and after the cat.

>>14766381
After '12 all the shops I knew that would 'help' stopped helping on OBD2 cars, STAR is too important for their business and it requires them to be super up front with the state.
>>
>>14766383
>takes 2 day
>good for 2 years
Lazy ass. Fine enjoy your stock car.
>>
>>14766397
>The gist of intake/exhaust mods is you can fuck with anything before the MAF and after the cat.
Only if it is a certified intake. Post cat doesn't need an EO
>>
File: 1446098940245.png (236 KB, 586x476) Image search: [Google]
1446098940245.png
236 KB, 586x476
See, I was just going to say to get your car tuned down to more a more conservative number and keep good cats on it, but then I realized they do a visual inspection.

God California has turned into a nuts state. Used to be great in the 80s, or so my parents tell me. I'd love to more back there after college (moved out after I was born), but between taxes, gun laws, car laws, traffic, shitheads, I'm starting to wonder if being able to surf is worth it.

Are there any signs of pushback in the state for these things? Anything?
>>
>>14766412
Pushback from where?
Citizens? Everyone dislikes the car shit, along with the captive gas market operating charging whatever they feel like.
Voters can't really fight Air Research Board decisions. Thankfully, most of their idiocy gets eaten up by the monster of bureaucracy in the SS.

Before you move here, realize that there's already close to 50 million people here when you paint a broad brush on a place with that many people, negatives always show.
>>
>>14766458
>Everyone dislikes the car shit
Let me clarify this. The car people hate the car shit. Everybody else is fidgeting around waiting for the green hydrogen or electric future to actually come true. They think gasoline cars are terrible and need to be eliminated as quickly as possible. Emissions testing needs to be stricter, I mean for fucks sake anon take a bus or carpool.

CARB is appointed not elected. Even if the car people could unify they couldn't do anything.

Also one other thing to note is when they killed the rolling exemption for old cars in 05. The volume of outcry shocked regulators (they thought EVERYBODY would be for it) but it still wasn't enough and hasn't been enough for them to reverse it.

>Before you move here, realize that there's already close to 50 million people here when you paint a broad brush on a place with that many people, negatives always show.
Most people in CA live in the SF Bay Area or LA. Besides NYC, these are the hipster eco faggot capitals of the world. Most of those 50 million people moved to CA in the 60s because it was the progressive hippy center, or in the 00s because it was the progressive, LGBT eco faggot capital. They are all true believers.

t. former californian
>>
>>14766495
Addendum to
>CARB is appointed
It's also appointed in the most insular, protective, and retarded way.
It truly is the embodiment of the '60s eco-boomer hippies'

However, most of these 50 million people are technological gold-rushers and sub-blue collar laborers who've made their way in since the 90s.
>>
reinstall stock shit every 2 years.
knew a guy with a 700rwhp CTS-V that removed his headers and re-installed his OEM manifolds and Cats just for a smog test.

runs on a SMOG e85 tune and passes with flying colors.

not sure what they do now that the sniffer isn't used anymore.
>>
>>14767087
They put a thing in the gas fill hole instead and check your oem smog equipment.
>>
>>14766345

carb certified mods for anything that can be seen in the engine bay

as for exhaust you don't really need to get certified as long as it passes the sniffer test.
>>
>>14767087
>>14770087
It's through your ECU. Cars after 04 or so have monitors that check all the emissions equipment. They don't dyno or sniff the cars, just plug into the scanner and verify everything is functioning (evap, air injection, after cat 02 are the things you would be concerned about).
>>
>>14766387
Yes, they do have roadside smog checks, but you are not required to participate.
They may(will) signal you to pull in, then a officer will inform you what is going on, at which point you can refuse to take the test and go about your business.

It's happened to me while in my Maro, it's not a big deal.
>>
>>14766495
Plenty of car enthusiasts who happened to grow up around here actually, we're just surrounded by hordes of ecofags
>>
>>14766345
i imagine a worked head and intake, cams and flashed ecu would be hard to detect without a dyno
>>
>>14770165
What about cars before that computer shit nigga? EEC-IV here.
>>
>>14770241
just sniff test and visual. Anything obvious you need the CARB EO sticker visible.
>>
>>14770241
You really only have to worry about the sniffer for 75 through the 80s, no shitty test only shop is going to know what the car looked like stock anyway nor do they care. The hardest cars to fudge smogs on are 90s cars, but there's always a way.
>>
>>14770130
/thread
>>
>>14766375
yup this is the best way to do it. just drive an old car and enjoy doing whatever the fuck you want.
>>
>>14766345
I'm assuming you have family in whatever state you're in right? Leave the car registered there and you dont have to worry about it. Lots of people in my state will register their cars outside of the emissions required area and do all the mods they want.
>>
>>14766371

I do something similar. Running precat deletes, illegal tails, illegal headlights (which are technically legal but dealer is an asshole) and am lowered. I just reset it back to stock every year before I get inspected.... PASS. Go home and throw everything back on.
>>
If you're really military, just keep your car registered in your home state. California can't touch it.
>>
I live in Cali too and I just bought a stainless steel full exhaust for my car. If I keep the stock catalytic converter on, won't I still pass the smog? Or will brand-spankin' new, shiny headers make me fail visually?
>>
File: pacha.jpg (43 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
pacha.jpg
43 KB, 500x500
>>14766375
beautiful, must be fun.
>>
>moving to California
>not being allowed to own guns
>not being allowed to mod your car
>living in a state where half the population will be deported if Cruz or Trump win the election
There is literally no reason to move to California
>>
>>14771068
If the headers are not CARB legal then you'll fail inspection. Plain and simple.
Anything after the cat they'll normally give zero fucks about. I put all my old equipment back on, but i still smog without my muffler. Whenever i go to a new shop i ask if they care about my muffler missing and they never have. But asking before hand doesn't hurt.
>>
>>14772147
>complaining about kicking spics out
spic detected
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.