[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Car tech and phones
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7
Why the fuck are car manufacturers being so retardidly slow to incorporate cell phones into cars?

No I don't give a flying shit about your 'infotaintment' horse shit system with XM satellite. Never mind your abortionist attempt at gps or voice control.

Just give me a slot with the required plugins and then I can go to Amazon and buy a chink adaptor that slides into the slot and fits my exact phone. Then my iOScar or Android Auto can take over.

If I get a new phone which I will after 6 months because I'm American, I just buy a new adaptor piece to slide into the slot to fit my new phone.

It seems like they are wasting far too much resources building their own little system that nobody wants but we use because there is no other options.

Granted manufacturers are getting on board, it's too slow of a process. I want a dedicated place in my car to store my phone that will protect it and charge it while my phone drives the onboard display/audio.
>>
>well this model comes with satellite radio, navigation, hands-free, back-up camera and it plays DVDs.
>what about this one?
>it's android or iOS car compatible
>android.. like a robot?
>no a phone?
>a car phone?
>....no, not exactly
>....
>...we'll take the fully loaded one son
>>
Cars are for driving. Why would you want more electronics that can fail. Unplug for awhile, life is more enjoyable
>>
why not install a branch off your cigarette lighter and a voltage adapter/regulator and created a powered charging mount for your phone? you could even crack open the dashboard and incorporate a charging mat to the underside of your dashboard.
>>
>>14725029
what, you don't want the laggy touchscreen technology from a 1997 PalmPilot embedded in your dashboard?
>>
Are you really complaining about having to buy a phone mount and charging cable for your car?
>>
>>14724836
Just think how this is a way to make money. Sell a car now with the shittly little infotainment system now and 4 years later they give you the adapter privlage so u can use your 2015 smart phone. They always want to be a bit behind so you have reason to upgrade when the new system comes out. they realize that this shit sells cars now more than anything else and they are going to capitalize on it the same way apple does when they release a "ground breaking revoulutionary" IPhone ever single year... and they know people are stupid enough to buy the shit
>>
>>14724836

>that dogshit VW touchscreen interface

The worst part of my commute.
>>
>>14724836

1997 Miata

Bluetooth OBD2 bridge
Cheapest Pioneer digital media only head unit
Nexus 6P

AAAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
>>
You have to remember, OP, that cars are built for mass america. And mass america is dumb as shit. They see "features" like that and ooh and aah over how high tech and awesome it is.
>>
>>14726637
fucking this
>>
File: 280ZX-BlackGold.jpg (11 KB, 150x112) Image search: [Google]
280ZX-BlackGold.jpg
11 KB, 150x112
>>14726637
>my Elantra has leather seats
>like a Mercedes and BMW
>>
Just get a car with a double din and put in one of the Android Auto/iPhone compatible head units
>>
>>14724836
I'd guess it's somewhat tied into the fact using your phone while driving is illegal in a lot of places. It's hard to justify R&D costs for something that can't be used in parts of the market.
>>
>>14724836

>Wanting to use a phone in your car

Kill yourself, my car is the one place I know I can go to not answer the phone.
>>
>>14727031
they are referring to using the phone for music/GPS you dumb autist
>>
>>14724836
Software engineer here. The reason they're so far behind is because they have to make sure their systems have real-time guarantees and shit. That means much more additional planning, development, and testing than "regular" technology.
>>
>>14724836

All the new Hyundais and kia starting this year comes with Apple carplay and Android Auto.
>>
>>14726851
>tfw when some mercedes don't even have leather seats
it's mbtex
>>
>>14726997
These count as handsfree devices, so are legal literally everywhere.
>>
>>14727261
>soccer mom is too busy playing a facebook game on her phone and smashes into someone
>tries to say muh handsfree
>sues the car company for not making it clear enough to her
>>
>>14727329
Are you literally fucking retarded or have you never seen Android Auto or Carplay or even a fucking windshield mount for that matter?
>>
>>14727347
Do you think things like that don't happen? There are a lot of fucking stupid people out there. No need to make it easier for them to be retarded on the road.
>>
>>14727378
You're bringing up a non-issue that is already available. It's not like the accident rate is steadily increasing as people buy touchscreen equipped cars (some of which already HAVE apps). Auto/Carplay don't even support games or facebook for that matter.
>>
>>14727347
There is a reason RV's have a sticker that say something along the lines or cruise control does not drive your car, you must remained seated even when using cruise control. I remember someone telling me about a guy who put his rv on cruise, got up from the seat, it went into the ditch and he tried to sue the company.
>>
>>14727394
Ok and those can have a warning in the manual just every other carputer. and see >>14727391
>>
>>14727394
There was one not too long ago where a guy turned cruise control on and went to make a coffee and crashed.
>>
>>14727121
>they have to make sure their systems have real-time guarantees and shit
Please explain further.

At the end of the day the cellphone is an integral part of most people. Aside from the major functions of communicating it has replaced allot of other parts of our lives. Most people bank online from their phone, in allot of cases the phone can completely replace a wallet except for our drivers ID. It carries our entire music library and sometimes tv shows. And it is easily your primary link to work.

The point is it's so integrated everywhere else I don't understand why it can't be that way for our cars.

I want my phone to replace my key fob, have a dedicated slot in the car where it will charge and be completely secure, not the bullshit they have now where you have wires and the phone just lays in what was once a change tray. I want the phone linked into the car, my dash cam video gets recorded to my phone along with OBD read outs and errors. I want to talk to OK Google or Siri to do any of the million things you can do with your phone, many of which are pretty fucking impressive.

I don't see how this can't be a huge leap in driver safety. Many states have made it illegal to text while you drive, however in many states it's perfectly legal to hold your phone to your ear and chat away while driving. Ever try unlocking your phone to answer a call on the road? How is that less distracting than texting?
>>
>>14727484
>unlocking your phone to answer a call
what the fuck kind of piece of shit phone requires unlocking to answer
>>
>>14724836
Not sure but i'd rather it stays at what it is now then have your car literally tied into your phone as it creates alot of security risks

>Android phone gets virus/hijacked
>car shuts off
>???
>crash
My old pioneer headunit with a basic monocrome screen is more then enough has android connectivity.
>>
>>14727507
Bad example. Meant unlock to change track but typed answer call.
>>
>>14724836

Because using your phone like that is illegal in most places, distracted driving. Even using handsfree is illegal in some places. Truckers here can get their license pulled if they're caught using bluetooth. Also you better not ever get in a accident with a phone mount in your car. Their lawyers will try to fuck you in the ass.
>>
>>14727535
Forcing 16yo girls to look down at their phones to text and change music tracks is also a risk of safety.

There is no reason manufacturers don't have voice dictation, voice commands, etc. as standard already.
>>
>>14727640
>doesnt have music controls on his lockscreen
C'mon, it's 2016
>>
>>14727844
That's probably why it's illegal to text and drive
>>
>>14727895
Mmmm. Yes.

Everyone follows the law. Always.
>>
Have you considered that phones can change much faster and are easier to replace than a vehicle? Phones can easily get different software, and there's phones of many sizes. Any kind of integration into a car can quickly become obsolete.
>>
>>14727930
The car literally only needs a display to mirror the phone display.

A fucking Hyundai is properly-equipped already. It's just the OEMs fearing losing control of their products. They know Apple and Google best everyone at whatever market they think about entering.
>>
Maybe because retards can't handle having dials on the dash showing speed and engine RPM, let alone putting an actual tablet into the dash
>>
>>14727961
Honda puts not one, but two tablets on the dash already.
>>
>>14727885
Nigga I'm running a LG G4 using power amp, half the time my double tap doesn't wake the screen so I have to teach around the phone to the back power button. The swipe left/right to change tracks and up/down to change albums stops working after two swipes.

Frustrating as fuck and distracting.

Maybe it's my app, I dunno, I just want it integrated and seamless. I have tried a car app before but found it very lacking.
>>
>>14727973
There's an Xposed mod that lets you change tracks by holding the volume buttons down for a brief second....

....but with you having a retarded LG phone with all the buttons on the back that would probably remain difficult for you.

Get a Nexus.
>>
>>14727973
Just keep the app open, power amp has an option to keep the screen awake when the app is open
>>
>>14727947
Get a mount to fit into a CD slot? Works fine for me
>>
Why don't manufacturers just use google maps for gps instead of whatever bullshit they use?
>>
>>14728007
Because their shit-tier displays were too low-resolution to support it until now.

Mercedes, Audi, and BMW all do have Google as an option.
>>
>>14728017
Even shitty chinese tablets have had HD screens forever now.

That is sad
>>
Modern car radios do a big more than just play music also. The radio in some cars actually downloads software updates whenever it gets wifi. After a whole once the whole update is downloaded it will ask if you'd like to install the update through the radio interface, it'll read something like "...would like to update software- car will be unavailable from 3am-4am yes/no"
>>
>>14727998
Currently using one of these. It sits so loose it's scary. My phone already fell out once.
>>
>>14728068
Mines been fine so far, even though I'm skeptical of magnetic mounts. It's still the stock radio and I'm planning on replacing it, so I hope it works just as well in whatever I buy
>>
>>14728007
One of the few positive things I can say about Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge is they partnered with Garmin to have them back the Nav system in all their vehicles. No shitty in-house developed Nav system

>>14724836
To OP's point, carmakers are too scared by the pace of technology, and having to hand over a large part of the user experience to something not directly under their control.

You're just seeing them get comfortable enough with iOS and Android to allow real levels of integration, but even then, a surprisingly few number of people actually bother using it, and car makers are still twitchy about relegating the infotainment system to a phone hookup, given the absurd turn time on technology in that market

Since most people only care about navigation and hands free calling, it was better throw in a low-res screen, and a cheap in-house solution for navigation and and hands free control
>>
File: IMG_4087.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4087.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1500
They already do that, it's call Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

My stereo can do both, but never used Android Auto.

Every since I had CarPlay I never had the need to keep using my actual phone to choose music/ text people back/ etc
>>
>>14728189
>aftermarket
>>
File: 43424.jpg (38 KB, 750x422) Image search: [Google]
43424.jpg
38 KB, 750x422
>>14728200
Shit ton of car manufacturers are adopting both CarPlay and Android Auto.
>>
>>14728210
For new cars, yes.

My 2010 C300 is fucked though since there's no aftermarket unit that supports either of those that fits the car without gluing a tablet to the dash.
>>
>>14724997
>DVDs

That's the one that pisses me off.
>>
>>14728240
That's not quite what OP was bitching about though. You'll just have to deal with it faggot
>>
>>14728333

>>14724836
>Granted manufacturers are getting on board, it's too slow of a process.

It's exactly what OP was bitching about. Aftermarket head units aren't an answer for everyone, and it sucks.
>>
>>14728433
Maybe you should get a better car
>>
File: 1178652620b1249192.jpg (86 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1178652620b1249192.jpg
86 KB, 1024x768
>>14727970
> 20 buttons on the steering wheel
jesus fucking christ

pic related, when honda knew how to make good cars
>>
>>14724836

>wanting google and apple to have a monopoly on your car's technology

Don't try and speed up the botnet buddy.
>>
I wanted to put an iPad mini in an e90, but I realized no one gets in my car
>>
>you will never buy a new car without a bunch of useless electronic bullshit your don't want or need
>>
File: 20150711_090609.jpg (54 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
20150711_090609.jpg
54 KB, 640x360
Install nexus 7 in car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcEibvCr71Q
http://www.mp3car.com/forum/general/show-off-your-project
http://pccar.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=129 translate this. Good forum.
>>
>>14728640
Pretty slick. Would be a great diy project to do to my wife's Altima.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.