[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a car more reliable and durable than a Corolla?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: corolla.jpg (93 KB, 1059x421) Image search: [Google]
corolla.jpg
93 KB, 1059x421
Is there a car more reliable and durable than a Corolla?
>>
A Mercedes W123 300(T)D.
>>
As the owner of a 2012 Civic with 120000 miles and zero issues, I'll gladly challenge any Corolla to a durability contest.
>>
>>14673131

Serious question: how does Honda and Toyota make cars so reliable whilst it seems almost every other car, truck, van, and SUV has issues?
>>
>>14673141
They use old technology and parts because they've been refined over time. Which is why for the longest time Corollas still had 4 speeds, because those Toyota 4 speed transmissions were decades refined and bulletproof.
>>
>>14673146
Also much less finicky electric bullshit. Japs know their wiring.
>>
>>14673141

because the cars are simple. my car has 4 cylinders, one camshaft, 5 usable gears, two driven wheels, and not very many unnecessary amenities. It's the same recipe they've had since the early 80s. Really the only weird thing about the car is that the LCD screen has frozen twice at start-up, and needs to be turned off and on again to work, and that is really the most modern piece of tech on the car.
>>
>>14673146
Combined with the fact that Toyota always allows engine parts to have bigger tolerances even though their tolerance specs are a lot higher. Combined with Toyota having high standards for their entire supply chain.
>>
File: altis.jpg (46 KB, 520x390) Image search: [Google]
altis.jpg
46 KB, 520x390
>>14673131
Toyota > honda
>>
>>14673122
A Yaris/Echo because they're also cheap to fix ... today Corollas are too expensive and overrated
>>
>>14673141
Most other cars' problems are a result of failure of maintenance. I'd assume the Toyota and Honda crowd are much more likely to diligently take their car to regular maintenance intervals, whereas other manufacturers HAD once had the reputation of reliability and owners just assume shit runs without having to do anything.
>>
>>14673159
>Corollas
>expensive
The fuck
>>
>>14673160
This could also be why Hyundai and Kia's are having better reliability (?) because their 100,000 mile powertrain warranty is only valid if you take the car in for maintenance during certain intervals; otherwise the warranty is voided down to a standard 36,000 mile, 3 year warranty.
>>
>>14673164
outside USA they are, in latin america for example, a new one cost around 17K USD and you can't find a less than 10 years old for less than 5k
>>
>>14673166
This.

And in the countries where Kia offers 7 years of warranty, it's only for the bodyshell and if you have it maintained at incredibly high prices.
>>
>>14673126

Thats still being produced

>>14673131
fair competition
>>
>>14673131
>2012 civic

You actually bought the model that was so shitty it forced Honda to redo it after 1 year? wew lad
>>
>>14673131
Had a 220k camry before a box truck destroyed it
>>
yes
>>
>>14674076
>VR6

Weren't they rather bad in one aspect? Or am I mistaking them with the modern ones?
>>
>>14673164
poorfag detected
>>
>>14673122
By what measure? Do you mean something which go on for longer without major costs just from being well looked after, or do you mean something more likely to turn over after being left in a muddy ditch for 6 months? Or some combination of the two?
>>
>>14674109
VR6 maybe, not <2.0l ones tho. im not sure, but old passats tend to run like horse over 1million kilometres
>>
>>14673122
no its the best selling car in history
>>
>>14673141
The larger cars are partially assembled/manufactured in North America per trade agreements, right? Might have something to do with it.
>>
>>14673141
Any Honda's J series motor is a US thing, its been shit and still using a timing belt instead of chain.
>>
>>14673151
You mean if you run a wire behind the upholstery without any conduit or tubing that it'll get wet and corrode?????
>>
>>14673126
I was gonna post in this thread earlier, but you already said what I was going to say, the original VW beetle is very durable too, many are still around over half a century later. Reliability and durability are different things really, japanese cars have really good reliability but old mercs are the kings of durability.
>>
>>14674472
lets wait another 20 years and see
>>
File: p71lel.jpg (284 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
p71lel.jpg
284 KB, 1200x900
pic related, also muh v8
>>
>>14674221
incorrect, american engineering in cars is awful, they have made some durable engines though, but they are shit, ford stands for Found On Roadside Dead, literally all the cars I see broken down are american, mostly fords or french, of any kind. japanese cars a precisely engineered, german cars used to be overly engineered (not anymore), british cars are under engineered because sometimes overly ambitious, american cars are just fucking shite, all of the best american cars aren't even american but instead modified cars from other nations... that being said america is getting better at making cars recently, but they are still not quite right.
>>
Anyone have any maintenance tips for an idle Corolla? Just bought a 2001 corolla with 59k miles for 3.5k USD. I won't be able to drive it until I get my license in July. I'm hoping that it will last a long time.
>>
I have a 00 Toyota Celica Gts 294k miles still running great
>>
>>14674523
do all the fluid changes before you start driving it so you have a base line on your maintenance schedule and watch your oil like a hawk those are known for oil consumption because of the vvti system.
>>
>>14674500
I thought he was talking about Toyota vans and trucks, but I guess not.

American cars are awful, yes. GM and Ford need to be replaced. They've grown lame and fat.
>>
>>14674575
I feel I was a little harsh calling american cars shite, they aren't shit that is too severe, they just aren't very good, that being said there are some good american cars and american engineering has been quite decent in military applications, I just wish american car companies addressed the issues which everyone has been pointing out, I guess handling isn't really something that the american people car for that much, and america tends to look after its own and not anyone else... its a very disconnected self sustaining country, this is why its people have developed an ignorance, its also a country that promoted patriotism and pride of country, its good to be proud of your country but not the extreme extent of some americans, especially when it is undeservingly so in many cases.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.