[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Truckerfag Thread - Otaku Trucker Redux Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45
File: 20160307_182501.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160307_182501.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
https://youtu.be/i3s9RgZFmEk

I've seen one class 8 truck in the last week, and it was snowed in. I'll grab a picture next time I head out to the reindeer farm. Sleeping all day then going to town and dropping $80 a night at the bars is making me fond of the NEETlyfe.

(Current Iditatod standings - http://iditarod.com/race/2016/standings/ - I've met 2/3 Seaveys so far)
>Obtaining a CDL: How does one do?
Where: Community College, Vocation Specific School (i.e. Trucker School)
How: Savings motherfucker, or financing - some schools finance, there's financial aid if you can go to a comm. college, banks hand out loans for CDL training all the time because lots of companies will pay it for you once you're hired.

>How can I into avoidings shit companies?
Here are some decent/good companies:
http://pastebin.com/Sv0cyWyH
If you don't see the company you're looking at included on this list, it's probably a coin toss between good or bad.

>I could totally go to school but I'd rather be a trucker.
Worked for me, but listen to the greentext below
>You're literally retarded. Go to school. Anyone can get a CDL in less than a month of training. You can't do that with schooling. AFTER you get that degree/cert., if you don't like the field/career you're in, THEN get a CDL.

>Hurr trucks will be automated in <10yrs/Hurr how many hookers do you kill/Hurr enjoy your CPM cucks/Hurr do you all do meth/Hurr why are you all cucks
See: trains, airplanes; a lot; we do; no. Except maybe Ef, how the fuck does he drive that much?

PREVIOUSLY, ON KAGE NO TRUKKU
>>14617514
>>
File: 20160316_183939.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160316_183939.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Shit nigger what are you doing
>>
>>14657594
Just being a regular lumber hauler. At least he remembered most of his straps.
>>
Pump truck fag here got my ass chewed out for getting out out of service last week by dot guess I finally have to start doing pre trip kek
>>
>>14657791
Tanker yankers. When will they learn?
>>
>>14657594
Whoa! That guy used WAY too many straps!!
>>
>>14657791

>He doesn't drive around inspection stations

top kek
>>
>>14657594

>lumber in lengths of more than 8'

Lol this can't be 'murrica
>>
File: Rhino truck 4.jpg (82 KB, 800x478) Image search: [Google]
Rhino truck 4.jpg
82 KB, 800x478
I'll soon have a cdl and today got to talking to the driver that does propane exchange deliveries to grocery stores and gas stations. He said they needed someone quick and gave me his name and number, told me to call him as soon as I get my license and hazmat. It sounds like a good job, it's local so I get to go home every night. I can't remember all the details but I remember him saying there is a 1000 dollar sign on bonus and for every two weeks I work I'll get 5 hours paid time off, he said I'd make 50-60k a year. He says it's hard work with lots of lifting but he thinks it's worth it because he gets to spend a lot of time at home and has enough off time to do other stuff. He tried doing otr when he was younger and couldn't cope with living out of a cuck box.

Thoughts on this kind of work? Does it sound like a good gig?
>>
>>14657915
16's are pretty common. I've pulled a few loads of nothing but.

>>14657980
It's fine if you don't have the constitution to do OTR. You'll blow your body out in under 10 years, so keep that in mind.
>>
>Dropped phone today
>tfw no case
At least the damage is cosmetic.
>>
What kind of job is recommended out of CDL school? In school currently. Talking to instructors and the owner, over the road sounds kinda interesting to me but I'm in a relationship and being gone for so long would be very trying.
>>
>>14657999
>10 years
>>14657980
Better get to it son

Fat ass detected
>>
>>14657999
I was worried about blowing myself out, I wasn't sure if it was a myth or not.

>>14658029
I have gotten pretty fat but do a lot of lifting already at my job. Maybe I'll lose some weight if I work there.
>>
Just got in with a trainer at werner, literally the hardest part of this job is shitposting while bouncing around in the sleeper.
>>
so i checked out getting a cdl through a local community college yesterday. Their program is 30 credit hours($250/credit hour = $7500) and takes 20 weeks.
>>
>>14659031
That seems egregiously expensive.

>Successfully blindsided into a parking space that at least three other trucks passed on
It's an angled spot so it wasn't a 90° maneuver but I'm still proud of myself.
>>
>>14659031
They'd better be teaching you how to build your own truck from scratch as well as how to drive it for that much time and money. Is it at least mostly driving?

>>14658832
Finding wifi to shitpost with when you're stuck at a truck stop in the middle of no where without cell service is actually the hardest part of the job imo
>>
>>14658832
Actually sleeping while bouncing around in the sleeper isn't easy either. I eventually perfected sleeping on my stomach in a pseudo Captain Morgan pose so I wouldn't roll around during hard braking. Now I sleep like that all the time. Hope you didn't let him punk you into sleeping on the top bunk, that shit's only for when the truck is stopped, switching bedrolls takes like 30 seconds.
>>
File: imagegd_big_inside.php.jpg (21 KB, 466x350) Image search: [Google]
imagegd_big_inside.php.jpg
21 KB, 466x350
>>14659308
>Is it at least mostly driving?
about half and half, classroom in the mornings and drive time in the afternoon

>>14659309
im missing something here, youre with a trainer but your not driving? i thought the point of being with a trainer was for them to oversee your driving. is it more like a team driving thing?
>>
>>14659308
I did one of the 20 week courses, and it was pretty nice overall since I could fit 30 hours of class in with 40 hours of work. I went in knowing nothing and came out into a job and 30cpm on a sweet account run back 9 years ago.

We had 4 trucks to choose from to drive, each with different transmissions. For trailers, there was a couple of 53' dry vans, a skateboard, a double 28 set, and a ratty smoothbore tank that we'd fill with water and play with in the lot. Everything but the tank was allowed to be driven on the road. Since there was always 1 or 2 instructors around, you could show up anytime during the day and run over cones in the lot or practice inspections. After week 4, or when you proved yourself, driving time was a minimum of 10 hours a week 400 miles or more. Driving time got bumped to 15 hours minimum after week 10 with 1 day a week being driven at night. Hours were very flexible, so there was no excuse for not getting your time in. Class time covered pretty much everything, from repairs to fitness, just all kinds of shit.

After week 16, companies approved by our head instructor were brought it to introduce themselves. By week 18 I had a job before I had my license, a short list of trainers with runs, a pay package with tuition reimbursement, and a bus ticket ready to go.
>>
>>14659524
>youre with a trainer but your not driving? i thought the point of being with a trainer was for them to oversee your driving. is it more like a team driving thing?

When I trained, once the trainer felt safe with me it became team driving. The downside was I didn't get as much money as I could have. However, the dispatcher liked how hard we ran and had me put in a premium spot on her account once I had my truck. Minimal downtime, 3500 miles a week average.
>>
>>14659203
>That seems egregiously expensive.
Most of the CDL programs at public community colleges are, but they are also programs that literally no one pays sticker price for, unless they never even set foot in the financial aid office. The school will usually will pay half of it with their own budgeted financial aid money, and take care of the other half with government grants. Although that sticker price is high even for a CC.

20 weeks is a long time, but most community colleges are set up that way so you can school part time and flip burgers part time. If you want a CDL fast you go through a private school that works you full-time hours.

>>14659524
>im missing something here, youre with a trainer but your not driving?
From what I've seen just in these threads, half of the companies that put you with a "trainer" just do it on paper; in reality it is team driving.
>>
Are you suppose to put hazards on when you're stuck in traffic or something and also going slow up a hill? Is it a law? I see a lot of people do it
>>
>>14660960
I only put on hazards if I'm moving slow uphill but traffic behind me isn't, so that (hopefully) folks behind me notice and either move around or slow down, so that they don't run into me. I also put on hazards if traffic ahead is at a stop and I have to quickly come to a stop, for the same reason.
>>
>>14660960
Not a law, just a custom.

I turn 'em on whenever I'm more than 15 mph below the speed limit on a hillclimb.
>>
Thread theme
https://youtu.be/_2hSlcWrUKs
Because reasons
>>
File: 1455038180570.jpg (294 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1455038180570.jpg
294 KB, 1280x960
I have my CDL and want to do OTR. But I have no driving experience. How long before a company let's me drive by myself? I really don't want to do team driving at all. Also will company's let me bring my Chihuahua with me?
>>
>>14657524
You missed something tfag:
>44 TONNES

I went and got dat DOT physical today. I fucking hate that place. Nurse does everything needed for it and then doc comes in, reviews it, and signs it. The damn nurse could just sigh it and it would be fine.

At least I got the cool Jamaican doc I remember from when I got hit by the car.
>Have you ever failed a drug test?
You know Jamaican doc brought that one up.
>>
>>14661442
Training is anywhere from 4wks to 8wks for the most part.

And a lot of companies will let you bring your little shit dog with. Some companies might want you to pay a lil for it. Not sure about during training.

I feel ya on all that though. Another reason I didn't do OTR. Wasn't trying to live in a truck with some random dude for 2 months. It is just temporary but still.
>>
>>14661249
It is, in fact, the law for all vehicles to use hazard lights when traveling slower than should be expected.

You make me sick.
>>
Do truckerbros get angry at really aggressive truck drivers?

There was a truck I saw yesterday that kept changing lanes and tailing the fuck out of people and another truck drove up and threw his drink in his window.
>>
File: Flashers.jpg (583 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Flashers.jpg
583 KB, 1600x1200
>>14661249
>brake lights are just a custom
>turn signals are just a custom
>reverse lights are just a custom
>>
>>14661727
Truckers acting like fucktards pisses me off more than 4wheelers acting like 4wheelers.
>>
>>14661574
Damn is there any way around this? 2 months is way to long to be stuck with someone in a box.
>>
>>14661727
Definitely. Aggressive truck drivers are the reason the general public hates trucks. Sometimes I'm tempted to keep spark plug shards just so I can break windows when someone is driving like an ass.
>>
>>14661727
I get mad when I see shitty and aggressive truck drivers because it's dangerous as fuck and just going to make car drivers act even worse. I love when those dudes try to pass me on the right or some shit on I-95 or knowingly merge at the last second and I will block em off a bit. Same shit I do to cars when they want to drive like dicks.

>>14661752
Idk, as around at different companies and see who gets you on the road faster. You will definitely ride along with somebody for a couple weeks. Even experienced drivers probably have to go through it when they start at one of those bigger companies.

I remember the TransAm recruiter telling me that they get people on the road pretty quick. Like 4-5 weeks average instead of 7-9 weeks.
>>
>tfw hot boxing the cab

Feels good man
>>
>>14661831
Hopefully you mean with your farts right?
>>
>>14661855
Pussy
>>
>>14661781
Shits going to suck, I have a feeling I'm going to get stuck with some hamplanet with a dirty cab
>>
>>14661868
You can always switch trainers though. I think it's totally normal for people to go through a couple trainers until they find somebody they like. The companies understand that you have to live in the truck with your trainer.
>>
>>14661442
i heard some companies only allow teams to do otr
>>
>>14661929
Fuck that.

You can make money doing it. Companies will pay some fat sign-on fees for team drivers but I would never do it.
>>
>>14661941
Yeah there's no way I'd OTR with someone.
>>
Do you guys like iceroad truckers?

I work at a restoration/custom shop and enjoy a few of those shows. Mostly Fast n' Loud and the one where they work at "The Guild."
>>
>>14661947
When I was in school for my CDL, the driving instructor basically said never to do it. He said little shit will become big fights like when you want to stop at the TA but other dude wants to stop at Love's.

He also told me the story about dude he knows who was in the sleeper while the other guy was driving. Dude driving fell asleep at the wheel, crashed the truck, and guy in the sleeper got fucked up and is in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.
>>
>>14661831
I was always too much of a pussy to do that, blew the smoke out the window instead. But border patrol checkpoints make me paranoid.
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 300x300
>>14661955
Fast N' Loud would be good it Richard was only on the show for like 15sec each episode. Every show Discovery does like that ends up the same way. The first season or so is all about the projects and can be decent. But after that, they start trying to turn it into a drama. Same thing happened with all the motorcycle shows.

That "The Guild" show is funny because Canadians. Wheeler Dealers is easily the best. Chasing Classic Cars with Wayne Carini is probably second. Bitchin Rides is ok, they do some cool work on that show. Graveyard Cars, the one with all the Mopars, that show isn't going to last. Owner is a spaz and none of the shop guys are exciting at all. I think the milf is gone now too.

There's that other show with the classic bike museum and that one is kinda cool.
>>
>>14661964
>little shit will become big fights like when you want to stop at the TA but other dude wants to stop at Love's.
Oh my fucking god THIS. It sucks because for team driving all you need to do is:
>Drive 10 hours without fucking up
>Shut the fuck up and go to sleep
>Repeat
I only ever met one other driver who could do that.
>>
>>14661984
>Drive 10 hours without fucking up
>Shut the fuck up and go to sleep
>Repeat

I think that's easier said than done. Maybe all it takes is just two really anti-social people who don't talk at all.
>>
File: 20160316_123447.jpg (760 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160316_123447.jpg
760 KB, 2048x1152
>>14661929
Those would be companies with only a team driving setup then.
>>14661752
Short of buying your own truck and staring your own company? No. Just get it over with and hope he's a good teacher and not the poor schmuck who has to to just break even.
>>14661727
All the time. But I've never been angry enough to throw stuff. Being governed at 60 everyone gets mad at you.
>>14660960
Any time my speed drops below 20 of the speed limit.
>abs light problem returns
>dispatcher rage quit yesterday
>the good dispatcher
>Kellogg loads errywhere
>just company cuck things
Of course none of this matters
Because this guy is hauling bees.
>BEEEEEES
>>
>>14661992
That's pretty much what it was, we'd talk when we felt like it but pretty much we each did our own thing and it worked out pretty well. What I hate is when people have to sit up in the front seat and talk your fuckin ear off instead of going to sleep then when it's their turn to drive they end up pulling off and sleeping for an hour or two, or worse driving all retarded cause they're tired. Dumb fucks. So glad to be my myself now. But that one codriver was pretty cool.
>>
>>14661442
What company will let me drive OTR with no experience?
>Roehl will
What company will force me to drive team?
>Roehl won't
What company will let me take my dog?
>Roehl will
>>
>>14662077
How long do they train you before letting you go on your own?
>>
Anybody play Euro truck simulator here?
>>
>>14662207
Occasionally
>>
>>14659627
>>14660048
thanks farn
>>
File: ets2_00868.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ets2_00868.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>14662207
yeah
>>
>>14662268
>Whiney-kun.gif
>>
>>14662207

Over 200 hours on ETS2, fucking love it.

Check out Promods 2.01, they recently integrated Poland Rebuilding so the map size is effectively doubled.
>>
File: 04172015-Bee-truck_06-1560x906.jpg (513 KB, 1560x906) Image search: [Google]
04172015-Bee-truck_06-1560x906.jpg
513 KB, 1560x906
>>14661995
>BEEEEEES

A bee truck tipped over coming around a ramp from 405 onto I-5 last year. Cutting across like 4 lanes of highway from a right-side onramp before flipping and dumping the load on the left shoulder, a few trucklengths from an overpass pillar. Driver said he had a steer go flat and that's what sent him out of control, police speculated that he came through too fast to make the turn and flattened the tire during the wreck. It will remain a mystery forever. http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/rolled-semi-spills-load-of-bees-at-the-i-5-and-i-405-interchange/

Those bees were mad as fuck.
>>
>>14662197
14-20 days, depending on how much of a fuckup you are.
>>
File: ats_00005.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ats_00005.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>14662207
>>14662268
i picked up ats a while back as well
>>
Guys, I'm torn between being a regional trucker and signing up for a Power lineman apprenticeship.

Being an apprentice means being stuck here for 5 years. And I always wanted to see other cities than my shitty city of Louisville.
>>
>>14660960
>>14660977
>>14661249
I find that to be stupid. If idiots driving cannot look ahead thats their problem not mine.

It is way to easy to get a car/motorbike license in America.
>>
>>14661992
So two assbergered autists from here would make bank then.
>>
>Wake up
>Check phone
>Load for 18th now leaving today
>Have to get a random drug test
>Go back to sleep for an hour
>Get call from dispatch
>”If you're not there soon it will be a refusal!"
>Drive to Concentra while having an existential crisis
>Forgot I took a piss when I woke up
>Sample too small
>"You have to wait in the lobby until you can produce an adequate specimen"
>Start applying for jobs while I build a reservoir of pee

I just might quit my job today.
>>
What do u think about Russians who drive truck in US? They have a lot of channels on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SMVQ86hEMM
and one nice channel from Canada
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmckagODxZE
>>
>>14662563

>not in english
>i have no idea whats going on
>that cam is Fukt
>suitcase full of caterpillar parts
>vice grips holding radiator onto cherry picker
this is gold
>>
File: IMG_20150921_061007.jpg (67 KB, 589x383) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150921_061007.jpg
67 KB, 589x383
>>14662416
Thanks senpai. I'm pretty straight, I'll look into roehl.

>tfw ceo's name is Rick roehl
>>
So what's the living situation for OTR drivers? Isn't it stupid to pay monthly rent on an apartment when your out 5 day out of the week
>>
>>14662563

Is Sergei an O/O?
>>
>>14662615
You could always view the truck as a small, mobile apartment that makes you money.
>>
>>14662615
I still ''live'' with my dad, he just holds my stuff.
>>
Bernie Sanders says he will get rid of trucking with trains.
>>
File: 1458249311060.jpg (908 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
1458249311060.jpg
908 KB, 2048x1152
>>14662810
Did he now? My aren't you an astute listener.
Have a cookie.

Now go play with the kids who think trucking will be fully automated in ten years. They live down the street. They're good kids.

>was given free wash by shop manager wile abs is being worked out
>first wash gordo has ever given me
>2 hours later still waiting on wash.
>trailer still not out of shop.
All the mechanics are pissed too since they are pulling all the equipment and just telling them to "send it to freightliner"
>>
Does roehl have driver cams? If no, any talk of getting them?
>>
>>14662563
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuYXmmaD19I
>>
>>14661752
See if some shit company will let you drive a dump truck for them and just do that for a while. The shit company also hauled garbage, after a while I did that in a regular tractor trailer. I rode with someone but it was a day job hourly and we were bros. I drive LTL now
>>
>>14662858
DESU, trucking will be 80% automated within a decade. You'll just be sat there supervising the computer most of the time, and taking over when traffic builds up, or for parking it.
And the unions won't say shit, because the only difference with what you do now will be that you're not pushing the pedal all the time.

Of course, the veteran truckers will hate it because their tendons have stretched to their usual cruise speed being a default position for their foot. But then, they hate everything anyway.

Trucks will be the last things on the road to be fully autonomous, though. Cars will go first, because they're the danger. So, your job will get incredibly safe with computerised responses causing the cars to flow out of your way when you turn.
Then some enterprising fucker will figure out how to network everything together, so you can order streets cleared of traffic and parked cars, and it'll happen automatically.
>>
>>14662949
Fucking forgot about the word filter, didn't I.
>>
>>14662615
>only out 5 days a week
Does that even count as OTR?

>>14662788
This. It's pretty much storage/a mailing address for the moment. My parents like that I visit somewhat regularly, and I like not wasting money on an apartment that I'd be worrying about getting broken into while I'm gone.

>>14662810
Bernie promises a lot of things that would be impossible even if he wasn't on the verge of ending his campaign.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 400x400
>tfw your 23:59 delivery time that you thought meant drop and hook any time before midnight turns out to be an actual midnight live unload

Well I've got a bit of time to kill now
>>
>>14662403
That's just stupidity. I don't doubt the driver legit fucked up and lucked out on being able to use that tire blowout as a scapegoat.
>>14662508
Tempted, but shit man that's my day job. At least in ETS I'm driving cabovers on windy European landscapes.
>>14662509
Tough call. You could go lineman and get a legit good job, then save up and travel later. RVs are still a thing.
>>14662516
I don't disagree, but I still want to avoid getting rear-ended.
>>14662562
I'm rooting for you, Whiney.
>>14662593
It's pronounced "rail."
>>14662615
>mfw I'm paying for a house
>And no one's paying me their goddamn rent
Told mom I'm changing the locks and if sis wants a key it'll be $1000.
>>14662810
>Bernie Sanders will make America trains again!
I have no faith in any of this year's candidates, but he strikes me as the least of three evils, Hillary being the worst. Trump is an asshat but I'd rather have him than Hillary. She's a fucking snake.
>>14662949
I can see this happening, and it's fine by me. Personally I'd like to see full electric vehicles take over.
>>14663113
Ayy that happened to me two nights ago.
>>
>Arrive at shipper last night
>Trailer still isn't loaded
>Get loaded, drive, stop for the night
>Get up, actually manage to leave as soon as my 10 is up
>Appointment is at 14:00
>Lol Atlanta
>Arrive at 18:00
>Last guy is walking to his car, literally laughs at me and leaves
Welp, I still got three stops in Miami tomorrow. Guess I won't be home til Sunday.
>>
What's your guys favorite state to drive in?
>>
>>14663287
I like my home state of Tennessee. Mostly straight, occasional hills.
>>
>>14662615
This is why truckers buy/rent places way the fuck out in the sticks.

Paying for a home you're never in doesn't sting so much when it's a trailer on a quarter-acre and the rent/mortgage is only $200/mo.
>>
File: download.jpg (4 KB, 234x171) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4 KB, 234x171
>>14662593
Tell them I referred you, truck 4022. I get money.

>tfw this is his face

>>14662905
They aren't standard. If you fuck up real bad, you get one. If the previous driver fucked up real bad, your truck will have one and you'll have to beg really hard to get it out, but they will do it. They only reason they drag their feet on this is because the subscriptions are expensive af and they don't transfer between trucks. Less than 5% of our trucks have driver facing cameras.

Our new trucks do have outward facing cameras that double as lane alert bollocks and I haven't had the privilege of dealing with one.
>>
>>14662562

do you smoke the kush?
>>
>>14663547
Only reason I don't like a driver facing cam is cause I like shitposting, but I'm okay with one. I know I should be focused on driving. Don't have one in my truck yet, but it should be happening this year.

>Parked for the night
>In a run-down lot in Atlanta
Welp, been nice knowing you lads.
>>
>>14663116
Out of the three I'd like Bernie in office. Followed by trump. I'm 100% with you on hilary though she seems like a snake she's just to good at the political bs.
>>
>>14663574
I won't drive without one.

The week before they said they were going to take mine out, some airhead pulled out less than a trucklength in front of me from the shoulder. They reviewed the footage and I was back on the road the next week.

That little camera saved me a whole lot of headache and probably my job as well.
>>
File: kek (2016_01_05 00_50_19 UTC).webm (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
kek (2016_01_05 00_50_19 UTC).webm
3 MB, 800x450
>>14662403
>Those bees were mad as fuck.
>>
>>14663691

Kek, you guys have 3 cartoon characters running for president.
>>
>>14663756
Kek,our decision will effectively screw up the world regardless who we choose.
>>
>>14663691
Yeah, Bernie has his heart in the right place, but he won't be able to do nearly as much as he wants to do. Hillary will just line her pockets with tax dollars, and Trump will embarrass us worldwide, but he might do one or two nice things. He's said in the past he supports nixing our current healthcare system and implementing a modern, progressive system, which may mean single-payer. Bottom line I just don't want Hillary.
>>14663699
Yeah I desperately want a forward facing camera, but I was talking about the driver facing camera specifically.
>>14663756
Basically.
>>
lowesfag here
This is the beauty in its entirety.
I still haven't gotten to drive it yet because the HR guy is dragging his feet to make sure I'm legal first.
I already turned in my dot physical and drug test to DMV so I dunno what else it could be.
I just been tagging along the other driver for the time being. He's teaching me how to use the Moffett. It's trippy as hell. I better git gud and learn all the power equipment because sometimes we pick product and load our own truck.

>>14662562
Ya hear anything back from Lowe's?
>>
File: tandem.jpg (618 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
tandem.jpg
618 KB, 1920x1080
>>14663793
>Australia
>mfw it's registered as 26 for DMV
>>
>>14663793

[[obligatory 'straya post]]

Looks like a cozy gig though. I think you made the right choice.
>>
>>14662562
I hate Concentra so fucking much.

I'm just glad I got there early today and there was barely anybody waiting. Only took 2 hours for a simple physical. Try and do that shit in the afternoon after a route and it will take 4 hours just to piss in the damn cup.
>>
File: 1457664178795.gif (283 KB, 375x159) Image search: [Google]
1457664178795.gif
283 KB, 375x159
>>14663840
Yeah kinda. The guy that's training me says sometimes he used to have 5 hour of OT days when he used to pick all the loads in the morning and then load 'em up and then drive to the locations. Told me I lucked out because they recently hired a guy to specifically pick and stage things overnight so we just get there, load and we're on our way. Today we had three stops and the way he sees it as long as they're done on time in the first half of the day he considers himself "on stand by" and chills until he clocks out.
He just laughed when I told him I was considering going to Pepsi over this.
>>
>>14663894
Damn that sounds like a cushy gig. Don't think Home Depot has that same gig though, and the nearest Lowe's is a way away from home. Plus if I just up and quit here, then I'll have another $200/mo bill to worry about.
>>
>>14664014
Coworker of mine did something similar for Home Depot a few years back but it was a tractor trailer instead of a straight truck. He said it was a really good job.

But they eventually outsourced it to an independent company and everything got fucked up. Pay went to hell and he quit.

>>14663894
Prolly a good idea you went there instead of Pepsi. Although it hasn't been too bad for me lately since I got on this new route. But summer is coming and we have a ton of new guys so we'll see how it goes. Like 3-4 more people quit in the past month or two and I didn't even notice. I'm gonna be top 5 in seniority soon enough.
>>
>>14663541
>This is why truckers buy/rent places way the fuck out in the sticks

no. The reason why they get places out in the sticks, is so no one hears the screams of the lot lizards/little kids/suspect zeros they're butchering out back...and because they can usually get away with parking their truck on their property.
>>
>>14663565
The only dank things I participate in are memes.

>>14663793
Not yet, I hope they call back, I already know how their system works for deliveries so they'd hardly need to train me.

>>14663855
It only took 3 hours because I couldn't piss enough. Ended up drinking two cups of coffee and three small bottles of water before I could produce enough "specimen"

But yeah this place blows during peak hours.
>>
>>14659031
damn son, the one near me is split into two courses, 6cr and 7cr for 13 cr which comes up to 287$ per hour or 3731$
>>
>>14659031
Not only is $7500 stupid expensive, but 20 weeks? Wtf? A Class A CDL is a month long course if you devote your time to it. And even if you only go 2 or 3 days a week, it should take a couple of months.

My school was pretty much go at your own pace but it is a 4 week minumum and most people take 2-3 months.
>>
>>14664220
I made sure I had to piss when I went over there today. Didn't have a drug test but they still test for blood or proteins in the urine or whatever.

Worst was when I pissed dirty back in the day and had to take all those classes and subsequent tests. They stand there and watch you piss if you fail a test. It is so hard to take a piss when somebody is staring at your junk.
>>
File: human transportation.jpg (69 KB, 985x554) Image search: [Google]
human transportation.jpg
69 KB, 985x554
who here human transport?
i hate it when they die !
>>
File: 1437769470010.jpg (17 KB, 342x311) Image search: [Google]
1437769470010.jpg
17 KB, 342x311
>>14664220

Why were you late to it? Did you fuck up or was it them? I don't understand.
>>
>>14661561
The 44Tonnes is legit trucking gross weight in 1st world countries tho.
>>
>>14661709
>traveling slower than should be expected.

So americans are too dumb to expect a truck to be slow going up or down a range?
>>
>>14663287
high
>>
>>14665468
>durrdurrdurr amerifags are stoopid better pray to ronald mcdonald that you don't get shot up in Walmart lol Europe is so great just ask the refugees
>>
How hard is it for felons to get a CDL?
>>
>>14664205
>slaughter hogs every 3 months or so
>neighbor comes by to bullshit
>"man I tell you what the sound of them hogs getting stuck gives me the willies. Gimme a heads up next time you're sellin' 'em, I'll go out shootin or somethin"
>"heh heh, sure thing bud"
>"that one last week sounded just like a little girl bawling her eyes out"
>"last week....? .....OH! Yeah, heh...they can uh....be uh..sound pretty disturbing. Heh...heh..."
Do I have to kill my neighbor? He lets me borrow all his tools and shit
>>
>>1466427
That's why I don't do drugs, it makes getting and keeping a job more difficult.

>>14665370
All they told me was that I needed to get a drug test today, but apparently it must be done within a certain amount of hours before it's an automatic refusal.

I wasn't technically late but I was nearing an automatic refusal.
>>
>>14665717
Well yes. You just proved it.
>>
>>14665209
That's just part of the job. Just sucks dealing with the smell and mess.

>>14665760
Not any different than a non-felon. Getting a job might be a little more difficult. But as long as you don't have a bunch of recent DUIs, it shouldn't be a big deal.
>>
>>14659031
Kek I got mine when I worked for the city

>automatic dump truck
>bobcat trailer
>spent 2 weeks backing it getting $15.38 hr
>took it and got my class a
>city paid everything
>4 months later quit and find better job
>>
>>14665760
You'll never be able to get your hazmat but it doesn't matter for your CDL
>>
>>14662403
>It will remain a mystery forever.
Nah, I'm pretty sure it's a foregone conclusion that it was because he was going too fast, given the number of truck crashes we've seen caused by that vs the huge number of truckers we've seen who have been fine during a steer-flat scenario.
>>
File: DSC_0100.jpg (4 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0100.jpg
4 MB, 3840x2160
A mile long military display.
>>
>>14665817
>Used to live next to a sausage plant
>Heard the pigs being slaughtered late one night
>Legit sounds like a crowd of little girls being murdered
Shit was creepy as fuck dude.
>>
File: YT0460_1[1].jpg (87 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
YT0460_1[1].jpg
87 KB, 640x480
Why aren't their trucks like this in NAmerica?

cargo box nearly as big as cargo container.

box opens from the sides as well as back.

all one piece instead of trailer and tractor set up.
>>
File: straighttruck_2012.jpg (36 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
straighttruck_2012.jpg
36 KB, 620x350
>>14667384
we have straight trucks in America. They're also available with flatbed.
>>
>>14667071
something big is happening.

I live next to an airport and heard NOTHING but military aircraft all day.

And when i went to the DMV i seen military trucks everywhere
>>
turbine electric hybrids

https://www.wrightspeed.com/
>>
>>14667581
mite b cool
>>
>>14667384
Because most roads in the rest of the world can take a proper truck, and most places can't house one of those things and it's turning circle and overhangs.

>>14667564
Maybe they're going into Syria now the Russians are out, or it's a big exercise.
>>
>>14667564
Which state? I think in CA they're having war games.
>>
File: cool s.jpg (5 KB, 236x285) Image search: [Google]
cool s.jpg
5 KB, 236x285
Newfriend considering trucking here.
How long will I be with other truckerfags?
I crave the solitude but I understand I will have to drive with instructors for a time.
Will I regularly be with other truckers throughout my career or will it be basically solo?

Is this secretly the perfect job for NEETs?
>>
>>14668031
>Is this secretly the perfect job for NEETs?
Only if you lack any and all bathroom anxiety and are fine with using a different public shitter every single day.
>>
>>14668031
About to start the process myself.
Most companies will have you driving with a trainer for 4 to 8 weeks. Assuming your not an idiot, they'll put you in your own truck after that.
Depending on the company, you may get "persuaded" to train other drivers but it's usually solo running.

You could probably live like a NEET. You'll just have to wait for home time to get your anime figurines, though.
>>
>>14668067
>>14668084
Bathroom anxiety is practically nonexistent.
I live about 40mi north of Houston. Are there any good CDL Training Schools in Texas? I have looked into Steven's Transport, but it's not on OP's list so I'm assuming it sucks? I don't know, I just don't want to get shafted.
Any suggestions?
>>
>>14668067
>not saving up your shower points and planning your trip so you can shit exclusively at Pilot/Flying J locations
Sometimes I wonder if they know when I come out of the shower with dry hair...
>>
>>14668094
I'm in SoCal so I can't help you there.

You may want to ask them what companies usually send recruiters. I've heard you can use that as an indication on how well it's viewed by companies.
>>
just telling slower than 5% of ot dat do drug test for what company way some hamplanes and gas start applying to talk when he want a cucks/hurr truck driving the good job, it's pretty college, banks senpai. i'm 100% with me it because reason the weeks i would be expensive system, which stores and aggressive system works your 23:59 deliveries so the fuck up and lucked up pulling would never i'm changing love it.

any suggestions?
>>
>>14668116
Someone's not passing their next drug test.
>>
>>14668116
I think you're having a stroke.
That or I'm having a stroke.
>>
File: Z4cPv7r.png (66 KB, 700x678) Image search: [Google]
Z4cPv7r.png
66 KB, 700x678
>>14668125
>>14668176
It's a work in progress.

So far, I've written a bot that can learn from a thread and sound familiar, yet completely intoxicated and foreign.

I lurk this thread because you people seem nice and I've always like the idea of being a trucker.
>>
>>14668192
Pfft, this is excellent, 10/10
>>
File: 1444468100434.jpg (37 KB, 500x903) Image search: [Google]
1444468100434.jpg
37 KB, 500x903
>>14668192
>it knows how to use meme arrows
>>
>>14668192
Well, it already passed the turing test here. I wrote it off as an idiot teenager and nearly reported it for underage.
>>
>>14668116
Jesus H Christ Roberto is that you?
>>
>>14668094
Huntsville or Conroe?
>>
Is it better to get a CDL through a community college or sign on with one of the beginner companies like Steven's, CR England, and Swift?
>>
>>14668644
The former is what the OP says. I suggest you avoid going the whiney-kun route.
>>
>>14668644
Wut?

You're probably going to work for one of those companies anyway. I assume you're talking about signing a contract with them where they pay for your CDL course? Be very careful if you do. That should be the last option though.

>>14668700
Whiney didn't sign a contract. He got his license on his own. But he's like me and too lazy to quit that shitty job and look for something better.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1458336711986.jpg (66 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1458336711986.jpg
66 KB, 720x960
Ayy lmao
>>
>>14669592
>Award-Winning Drivers
Ayy, but for real dafuq?
>>
File: Trailer%20tail%201[1].jpg (23 KB, 594x355) Image search: [Google]
Trailer%20tail%201[1].jpg
23 KB, 594x355
Trailer Tails, gimmick or what?
>>
>>14669618
They do have some minor effect, the bean counters at larger companies would notice. If you're an owner-op hauling a van trailer, I wouldn't bother.
>>
>>14669618
Our Fleet Operations Manager was down in the driver's lounge yakking with some drivers while I was there and the subject of trailer mileage aids came up. He said the skirts made a noticeable difference in fleet fuel economy but the trailer tails didn't do anything. On top of that they added a not-insignificant number of repairs and so none of our newer trailers come with them. Of course corporate policy is that they must be deployed on those trailers that already have them.
>>
>>14668644
>If you sign for a company to help get you a CDL they have you by the balls.
>>
Do you truckers ever draft behind other trucks to save fuel?
>>
>>14669871
No, that's dangerous as fuck. Convoying has been made illegal if I'm not mistaken, and I've already seen exactly what happens when you try that shit with my own eyes.
>>
>>14669889
What happens?
>>
>>14669896
One truck gets crushed between two trucks when the one in front has to suddenly stop, and then you have to shut down the interstate to allow a helicopter to land and fly a truck driver sandwich to the ER.
>>
>>14668700

If you do go the company sponsored route, READ THE FUCKING CONTRACT BEFORE YOU SIGN IT.

I went the out of pocket private driving school route. CR England also had contracted with that school to train a small local group. It was funny in a really dark way watching those guys find out a new detail about the slave contract they had signed every few days of school. My favorite was the day they realized they had signed up to run teams and were over 6 months away from getting into their own trucks
>>
Why do you truckers seem to forget your turn signals are on? Do they not make a clicking sound like regular cars?
>>
>>14670123
In some trucks yes, they don't make sound, and they don't snap back by turning the wheel. Some drivers also listen to loud music and don't hear the click.
>>
>>14669871
>>14669889
>>14669980
>>14669896

This is where the automated-car technology is going to eventually trickle into trucking and make a big difference. The holy grail of trucking automation (in my opinion) is vehicle-to-vehicle communications allowing convoys to operate with synchronized cruise and braking, all the trucks sharing sensor data with each other, the last truck in the convoy knowing what the first is seeing. I'd love to see it in my lifetime.
>>
>>14670169
What I've never figured out is how they think other vehicles are going to enter/exit the freeway when there's twenty trucks nose-to-tail. Hell, they already can't get on when there's just ONE truck.
>>
>>14670123
We also run our 4-ways a lot. It got me used to that clicking sound to the point where it doesn't even register anymore
>>
>>14670123

Most trucks don't auto shut off because the signal would cancel itself before the trailer even begins to turn with the truck.
>>
File: IMG_20160318_225755.jpg (2 MB, 3979x2952) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160318_225755.jpg
2 MB, 3979x2952
I'm not saying I want to seek out deer now. But I'm slightly curious.
Fender and headlight fixed finally as well.
>>
>>14670142
The clicking in my Kenworth is really, really quiet. Even with no radio, you can barely hear it over the noise of the engine. Also because of how the dash is layed out, it's hard to see the signals during the day. Plus those lights are fairly dim.

>>14669592
>>14669614
I should be getting my little 2-year "Safe Driver Award" coin for my trophie deal. Woot! Sucks they don't give me anything else good for that besides the coin. You can get some cool prizes with some of the other awards but I don't work hard enough to get those very often.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>14670589
Deer are small enough, you got dis.
>>
File: IMG_20160318_230208.jpg (3 MB, 4537x2952) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160318_230208.jpg
3 MB, 4537x2952
>>14670589
I'm losing that classic factory flow I had going on. I can tell by this pic I need a drop visor, 7x48 inch mitres and possibly horn removal. But I won't go that far cause I love then horns lol. But definitely more of a drop in the visor cause it looks unbalanced now
>>
>>14669592
Swift.
>abs problem solved.
>it took 2 weeks 6 shops and them replacing every god damned component in the trailer and every fuse in the truck.
It was the pigtails.
GG
>but we tested that it WAS fine!
Mechanic reaches over gives cable a yank cord falls out. Supervisor with testing rig falls silent quietly wheels his machine back inside
>>
>Truck normally starts before you can finish turning the key
>Today it doesn't want to start, just keeps coughing smoke but nothing else
>Its not cold out, there's fuel in the tanks, and its has a battery charger on it
>Try every 10 minutes for an hour
>Finally get so angry that I hit the panel with all the fuses behind it
>Decide to give it one last go
>Fires up

Hooray, now I have to figure out what wire I shook to get it started.
>>
>>14670717
Probably the one that goes to the fuel pump.
>>
Do truckstops usually offer wifi?

I'm seriously considering becoming a trucker, but I don't think I can do it if I can't download my animus every week.
>>
>>14668636
Conroe
>>
>>14670717
Man I was delivering to the airport a month or two ago and the truck I was in decided not to start. I was freaking the fuck out because last thing I wanted to do was wait for a giant wrecker to come tow me from the fucking tarmac at the airport. I would've been there for like 6 hours.

I just kept playing with the shifter and key until finally it cranked. I think it was something electrical like a neutral safety switch.

>>14671026
From what I hear, yes. But it is normally slower than steam coming off a cold turd and 4chan will be b& for violating Rule 1.
>>
>>14671182
Lone Star College has a pretty good CDL class from what I hear. I'm thinking about signing up for it next month.
>>
>>14671271
I've considered it, but I don't think I can afford the up-front fees, which I've why I'm thinking about just going to Steven's and getting the paid apprenticeship + 1 year contract.
>>
>>14657980
>truck full of propane
>20lb extinguisher
What could go wrong
>>
>>14671288
>1 year contract
Pucker up, good buddy.
>>
>>14671311
Checked.
Please tell me more. I don't want to get screwed desu
>>
How many of you actually do your DVIRs?
Guy that's training me doesn't do 'em every day, he just checks everything off. He says once in a while he'll do it for real. He just checks the lights too once or twice a week.
>>
>>14671288
They give out loans for CDLs like candy since unlike art degrees, a CDL is guaranteed to get you a good paying job.

There are a lot of financial incentives that cut down a lot of the cost, and a lot of noob companies have tuition reimbursement.
>>
>>14671326
Do you inspect your personal car on a daily basis?
>>
>>14671316
Anywhere that has a contract is a trap. They can't keep turnover under 200% without it in most cases. If it takes them 3 warm bodies a year to keep one seat filled what do you figure your odds of having a good time are?

>>14671326
You're legally required to do the DVIR daily. The DVI is where you can play fast and loose. I check lights, tires, and air leaks daily, and at mid trip during cargo checks. Get under the rig with a hammer and flashlight once a week and under the hood when I fuel.
>>
>>14668031
>perfect job for NEET
>NEET
>job
NEET =/= anti-social autismlord
>>
>>14671337
I usually drive 20-50 year old cars, so yes. Never know what's about to fall off if you aren't looking for it. Based on how many thousands of cars I've seen with no tail lights it's pretty clear most never inspect their vehicles.

>>14671364
It's an option for a NEET, not a NEET option.
>>
>>14657980
Really? Only $50k-$60k? I thought they would do better than that considering it's hazmat. I make that at Pepsi.

>>14671326
I try and check my lights and kick the tires pretty much daily. Also look for any huge puddles under the truck. Aside frim that, I will feel anything major before I get out of the yard.

Plus we do them in out handheld computers and can't check out of the gate until after it's done. And it will get flagged if we go to fast. So I will smoke a cig and walk around the truck once or twice while clicking "No" a million times.
>>
>>14661249
No, you're actually wrong. It is a law, if you're driving significantly slower than the speed limit you must turn your hazards on. This is doubly so for a trucker, because you don't want to get a moving violation for being fucking dumb, do you?

>tfw I was pulled over and cited for not signaling a lane change

I was coming up, full speed, on a truck that was stopped at a light and just started moving again (slowly) and changed lanes and went around it without thinking since traffic wasn't too bad, I didn't really think I had to signal since the car behind me was an ice age away. Turns out, that fucking car behind me was a goddamn police officer and wanted to shit on my day. Said I made an unsafe maneuver and could have caused an accident. What, by my fucking self you dumb motherfucker? Pretty sure I can lane change on a nearly empty road without killing myself you goddamn idiot. I signal if there's fucking someone there to signal to but not if I am by my self, fuck.
>>
>>14671743
You have a gorillion blindspots and are slow as shit. Why would you ever not signal?
>>
File: 7635836485.jpg (508 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
7635836485.jpg
508 KB, 1024x768
>>14672041
you still contemplating a farm or you moving west
>>
>>14668762
I have no idea why people think I'm under contract here. I'm actually seriously looking into getting back in school though, I realize that a degree is an absolute necessity for me in the long run.

Also saw a truck jack knifed on the I-20 in Mississippi tonight, and at least 10 other cars sprawled around it all with damage. I can't even begin to figure out what happened, it's drizzling outsider but not enough for this to happen.
>>
>>14672084
Someone cut off the truck, obviously.
>>
>>14670169
some euro truck maker has already got that shit figured out but its not on the road
>>
>>14671326
My trainer would only check the brakes tires and lights he only once cracked open the hood and said if something happens in here you're fucked anyways,since it's a company truck.
I out of fear check it once a day. After the guy next to me pulped a cat,and then caught fire.
>>
>>14671326
>>14671352
lmao the DVIR rule was recinded for freight haulers in December 2014.

Still have to do pretrips tho
>>
>>14669889
fucking hated convoys when I was OTR. I'd seem them anytime there was snow or ice present...the absolute worst time IMO to be a foot away from the guy in front of you. Had to pass a convoy on the I70 that was over two miles long (because only one lane was clear, and a decent drift in the other).

>>14670115
England was famous for never showing paperwork until you signed to get a truck. I'm sure that's changed now after the lawsuit, but I imagine they're still scuzzy as all get-out.

>>14670123
Eh, engine noise and music tend to make them very quiet by comparison, but I see far more civvies with their blinkers permanently on than I've ever seen a truckers'.

>>14671326
I honestly rarely do a DVIR as I'm supposed to. I usually check my oil when I'm fueling, and every other friday I check my coolant. When I D&H, I make sure to check the tires and lights. Was driving another employees truck because he had a laundry list of things written up he claimed were wrong. They put me on it because my loads take me to our shop, so I could point out problems and get them fixed. They did a little work on it on day one. Day two, I was driving into the one spot with no cell service, and I heard what sounded like a good back fire. Power went to shit up the small hill I was climbing, and when I got to the top I found my turbo line connector had blown off because the mechanic didn't tighten it back down after working on it. Easy fix, just had fart noises going full blast till I got to the shop. A DVIR woulda never found it though.
>>
Check tires, slider pins, lights, air lines, fluid puddles, 5th wheel.
Check gauges and fire extinguisher
That's all I do before driving.
I open the hood and look for leaks and check fluids at fuel stop.
>>
>>14670241
I'm not the guy with all the answers. Maybe they'll just have to sit and wait for the convoy to pass. Sux to be them but oh well, merging traffic must yield LOL.

Metered onramps could automatically hold merging traffic until the convoy passes, and pretty much every busy urban onramp with a nasty merge is already metered.

Maybe only certain lanes of the freeway would allow or be designated for convoying in problem areas?

In the overall, even though individual convoys might be inconvenient to maneuver around, it might actually be easier for cars to deal with one giant, constistent & predictable roadtrain than a dozen trucks scattered all over the highway doing their own thing.

Plus, if V2V communications takes off (which is necessary for this to happen), new cars will also be traffic-aware, probably have their own computerized merging and convoying/platooning systems. It'd only be people with older cars that would have to deal with the hassle manually.

>>14672399
Yeah there's a few outfits demoing the tech on test tracks in the US too, but we're a long way from seeing it on the road. One big problem to solve is radio interference - right now all the demo stuff is using the same congested, noisy, public frequencies as wi-fi and other shit. In the real world, somebody with a broken wifi hotspot in their car could drive past a convoy, fucking up the airwaves, and everything goes to hell. You CB folks know how easy it is to fuck up someone else's transmissions if decide you really want to.

Step 1 in solving that is getting the FCC to allocate some dedicated frequencies for this type of stuff. Some of the old analog TV spectrum, maybe.
>>
>>14668192
gibe download
>>
>>14673985
Hello /pol/
>>
>>14672041
I was in a car, I don't drive a truck. I was just re-iterating the fact that not using your signals properly is a moving violation since a lot of people (even here) seem to think that it's just a courtesy.
>>
>>14668192
>I did our own truckers the cdl and had 4 truckerfags?
>I crave to do to sleep
>repeat

This some prison gay shit, next modern brokeback mountain will be about otr trucker teams
>>
>>14674120
There's nothing dramatic or romantic about shit encrusted truck stop glory holes
>>
>>14674542
...for you

;-)
>>
>>14674542
>to you
>>
>>14671352
>what do you figure your odds of having a good time are?
I don't understand what you mean.
>>
>>14675945
He's saying turnover is super high because they're a shit company, you're gonna have a bad time.
>>
>>14675999
I wish I was not autistic.
Thanks for clarifying.

What do I do if I don't have the money to pay for the license and training, but want to do it?
>>
>>14676008
Bank loan. They hand out loans for CDLs like candy because many companies repay you up to $X (usually about $5000) for it, which means the bank is practically guaranteed to get paid.
>>
>>14676021
Excellent. I believe someone said this earlier in the thread, but it's been a long night. Thanks, Trucker Gundam.
>>
>>14676067
Pretty sure I put it in the OP last I updated it. Yeh, it's been a long day here. Time for sleep and then getting home tomorrow.
>>
>>14674036

It depends on the state. In Michigan, it's grey area:

Question: When are turn signals required to be used and does this include changing lanes?

Answer: MCL 257.648states in part. "The driver...before stopping or turning from a direct line, shall first see that the stopping or turning can be made in safety and shall give a signal as required...". Common sense and state law agree that whenever you are turning, a signal is required, however, much debate has occurred over whether that language required the use of turn signals when simply changing lanes.

The Michigan Court of Appeals has finally clarified the language in MCL 257.648 requiring the use of a signal when changing lanes, or "turning from a direct line." Their decision--published, and therefore binding on lower courts--states in summary "...a reasonable person of ordinary intelligence is not required to speculate about the phrase's meaning, and MCL 257.648 provides fair notice of what conduct is proscribed. We hold that MCL 257.648 requires drivers to use a turn signal when changing lanes on a highway and is not unconstitutionally vague."
>>
>>14670589

Mah nigga. Bull bars are so worthwhile; clipped a deer a few months ago, down low on the driver side corner of the bar, and the only evidence that it even happened was a liberal dusting of fur down the side of the tractor. Would've needed a new fender and light at a minimum without it.
>>
Where are the best trucking schools in California? I live near Santa Barbara and there are literally no jobs here unless you're a woman. I hear there's a school in Fontana for Schneider, any other anons recommend this school?
>>
>>14678951
You could always just move out and find another job.
It's not like bus tickets are expensive.
>>
>>14678951
Did you read the OP?
>>
>>14678951
How far are you willing to travel?
The one I got my cdl through is pretty good. I passed on my first try.
The only thing it's in Stockton
>>
>>14679021
>tfw NEET
Why would I move when mommy pays for me to be alive?
>>14679118
By travel, you mean commute? Hell no, I would be willing to move to Sac Town tho. My sister has an apartment there, she goes to Sacramento State. Where is the trucking school and what company are you currently riding with?
>>
Any truckers here with back problems? I got a herniated disk from lifting a year ago. It doesn't hurt much now, it's just a bit uncomfortable and sometimes painful when my posture isn't at it's best.

Thinking of getting a cdl now, would my bad back hurt me in any way as much as getting hired goes? I can lift up to 50 lbs but bending over would really misalign my back and give me problems again.

>TLDR Would I pass the physical even though I have a bad back?
>>
>>14679544
I would imagine that you would be limited to doing reefer or container, since flatbedding would be out of the question. Even then it would be difficult, since you would have to raise and lower the landing gear. You would probably be fine with the driving, though the truck does rock around quite a bit.
>>
>>14670609

Swift pay is trash. Those rewards for safe driving are fodder for them to avoid having to pay drivers a few extra cents. If you have two years safe driving with swift and know what you're doing, I would promptly seek another company.
>>
>>14679681
Friend of mine has severe back problems, partial fusion, he trucks just fine.
>>
>>14679850
Can I have his phone number? Is he cute?
>>
>>14679544
Might be tough getting on with a company. The reefer company I work for, and many others now, do an ergonomic evaluation looking for restricted movement/injuries first. Once you get past that you have to do a physical test regimen where you have to do things like carry 100lbs so many feet, lift 30, 60, and 90 lbs from the floor to waist height, then again from waist height to shoulder height. All while checking blood pressure and respiration rates. Once you pass that then you go to the drug test where they do an on-the-spot test strip (followed by a lab test). Pass all that and THEN you get to the DOT physical. Failure anywhere along the way gets you a bus ticket (or $150, your choice) home.

That said, once out in the fleet I only touched a load one time when my trainer wanted to show me how it was done. Oh and that one time I chose to walk a 90lb box in a couple hundred feet rather than back in a pita door for one box. After being the equivalent to a chicken in a cage producing eggs for somebody else for a couple years I was definitely regretting the choice by the time I got to a cart in the building.
>>
>>14679892
Oh, I forgot to mention for those interested in how these orientation things work that if you fail the drug test you're literally kicked out onto the street with zero help from the company about getting home.
>>
>>14679892
>Failure anywhere along the way gets you a bus ticket (or $150, your choice) home
Wait, so they're allowed to discriminate based on disability? Where is this?
>>
File: double nigger.jpg (24 KB, 591x534) Image search: [Google]
double nigger.jpg
24 KB, 591x534
>Nurse didn't want to do my DOT card unless I had proof that I won't have a heart attack because I'm on blood pressure medicine.
BITCH JUST SIGN THE FUCKING PAPER YOU DUMB WHORE. THIS IS WHY EVERYONE LAUGHS AT YOU FOR THINKING YOU ARE ON THE SAME LEVEL AS A DOCTOR
>>
>>14679978
Yes and no. Some of the rules are based off federal guidelines and requirements. You are better taking the government to court than the individual companies.

Heard the story about the one arm man who was allowed to pilot a plane but not a truck?
>>
>>14679978
As for physical disabilities what you're told is to go home and get it fixed, then come back. If you can't complete the physical tests then go home and train then come back

In my case it was glucose in the urine and another guys case it was dangerously high blood pressure. In both of our cases we went and got medication and were back in two weeks. One guy failed the ergonomics eval due to a torn rotator cuff and was told he could come back when it was fixed but he was in his mid sixties and said he wasn't going to bother with that. As for the more permanent disabilities I'm sure the DOT requirements let them off the hook for those.
>>
>>14679681
>>14679892
>>14680038
So should I even bother getting a cdl? My back doesn't hurt anymore, but I am always on guard trying to make sure it's as straight as it can be.
>>
>>14680168
Unless you've got a cush job already lined up and waiting I probably wouldn't bother.
>>
>>14680168
You have to stoop over the landing gear to crank it, you'll have to crouch to get to the 5th wheel and slider pins.

If you don't think you could do each of those things 1-2 times daily, I'd say don't bother.
>>
>>14680166
diabetic?
>>
>>14680201
Yes
>>
>>14679978
They tried to send me packing when they found out I was colorblind. I argued with the doctor for about an hour, and he finally concluded that my vision was 'too annoying to keep fighting about' and passed me. I've been driving a decent while, but I'm always worried that someday I might lose my CDL if someone looks too far into it.

>>14679544
I wouldn't recommend it if you have an injury you're super aware of. I injured my shoulder a few years back, and now whenever I'm doing something that might cause the old injury to flare up, I compensate with my neck. I go home after driving every day with a jacked up neck, because the angle of grabbing the steering wheel is enough to make my subconscious freak out and exert my neck muscles. Psychosomatic shit is difficult to correct.
>>
I live in the middle of ass fucking nowhere in West Virginia and it's several hours in any direction to get to anything. I don't give a fuck who I drive for but I want to know who has the closest terminal. How do I do that in a timely manner?
>>
File: 20160317_142423.jpg (564 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160317_142423.jpg
564 KB, 2048x1152
>>14681332
The same way you would search for any job. You'd go to a job website punch in your zip and see what pops up. Try truckers report dot com and see what happens.

>abs light returns
Eh. I knew it was too good to be true. It was a wondrous 48 hours tho.. gonna need to climb under the truck and wiggle wires I guess or live with it..
>>14680615
There was one in lathrop off of the exit to the gordo yard there. They might have been caught by immigration tho.
>>14679922
Cr England is famous for this. 300+applicants
250 people now trapped in fontana with no way home.
>waiting in line for my free truck wash
>only took a year to get it approved
>see pic
The idea of being pulled on a flatbed is oddly entertaining..just make it look like I'm backing the entire time
>range banned again
Yall better quit it. This is getting silly
>>
>>14681332
Terminals don't matter.
And OTR driving very quickly alters your definitions of "nearby" and "close".
The closest loads my company ever gets me to go home leave me 90 miles away.
I don't get paid to drive home but I DO get paid from home to the next pickup.
>>
>>14681390
You work for Combined?
>>
>>14681820
No. Truck wash was in the lot with them
>>
>>14681881
Oh, pardon me. It looks like a yard in that pic.
>>
I think truckers are now my favorite people on the road.

I just managed 40.299 mpg in my NA6 for the 202 miles from Pueblo, CO to Cheyenne, WY by drafting behind a truck at 63mph the entire way from Denver to the state line.

Almost no wind noise either.

Incidentally, I've driven from Huntsville, TX to Cheyenne, WY in 23 hours including a two hour nap in Des Moines, NM, at a near constant 65mph. Does this mean I'm suited for OTR driving?
>>
>>14682167
You're gonna wind up dead.
>>
>>14681332
As previously noted, terminals are largely irrelevant to hometime since you take the truck home. Or at least as close as you can find parking.

In fact you kinda don't want to leave your truck at a terminal because if another driver's truck goes down dispatch has a really hard time ignoring that perfectly good truck just sitting there and will tell them to use yours. You may get back to the terminal and find that you moved trucks, or yours is just filthy now.

And terminals are where corporate bullshit tends to happen like drug tests, safety reviews, paperwork updates, camera installs, HR meetings, etc. They're best avoided unless for a drop and hook in the middle of the night on a weekend.
>>
>>14657524
Anybody effected by the Volvo steering shaft recall? Literally changed 30 of them last week in a row
Good ol Volvo
>>
>>14682233
Only because I've drank around 7 monsters today.

Drafting behind trucks isn't really that dangerous considering that my 2200lb car can stop a fuckton faster than a 40,000lb truck.
>>
>>14682428
>>14682167
Ahhh I see you changed your tactics. Seeing how the robots taking over our jurbs isn't likely for another 50 years you switched to the most annoying thing for truckers. Tailgaters.

You should do brake checkers next, and call it break checkers.
>>
>>14682493
What's so annoying about a Miata sitting 40' back from your bumper?

Even if a miracle happened and the Miata somehow managed to hit your trailer, it wouldn't even damage it since you're getting nothing but windshield.
>>
>>14682795
Piece of metal in the road.
One of my 100 psi trailer tires explodes.
The tread blows off.
30 pounds of rubber and steel come through your miata's windshield.
Your neck is broken.
Your miata rolls through three lanes of traffic and kills 3 other people.

We're on the road more in one year than you'll ever be in your entire life. We see this shit happen.
We do not want shitbrained 4 wheelers hanging around us. Period.
You tailgate me, I won't brake check you. I'll just back down to the minimum legal speed for the road.
If that doesn't work, I hit the 4ways and hit the shoulder.
You would be absolutely astounded how slow I have to go before braindead 4wheelers get the picture and get the fuck away from me.
I don't care how goid a driver you think you.
I don't know you. You look exactly like the fucktard who thought it was a great idea to try to turn inside my turn.
Stay the fuck away from me.
>>
>>14682859
>You tailgate me, I won't brake check you. I'll just back down to the minimum legal speed for the road.
The joke's on you. That only makes my gas mileage go up.

The NA6 can cruise at surprisingly low speeds in 5th gear.
>>
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 259x195
>>14682859
>I don't care how goid a driver you think you.
>>
>>14682859
>tailgater gets killed
And the species gets stronger. Yeah, the paperwork would suck, but worth it imo
>>
>>14657524
Truckerfag.

You've been posting here for years. I remember some choice words you said to me back in 2010 in that awful winter when I drove a truck for my own company.

Have you not been burnt out on driving trucks yet? How many audiobooks are there in the world for you to listen to? How are you still a truckerfag?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.