[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think airless tires will replace regular tires completely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
Do you think airless tires will replace regular tires completely any time soon?

What are you going to do with the extra space suddenly available to you once you no longer a spare tire in your car?
>>
>airless tyre
>literally surrounded by air
>>
>>14558629
>What are you going to do with the extra space suddenly available to you once you no longer a spare tire in your car?
Hide my subwoofer and amp in the well so it doesn't cut up trunk space.
Maybe make some storage space for stuff like my jumper box/air compressor down there too.
>>
>>14558664
I just realized I don't need an air compressor at all if Im running airless tires.
Damn.
I want these things to become commercially viable now.
>>
Didn't that design get debunked back in the 90s for being not only extremely noisey but also unstable at high speed?
>>
>>14558629
>local teens decide to shove rocks and glass shards into the pockets while you're not around
>>
>>14558754
What if it just had a very thin rubber cover over the gaps?
>>
File: roads.jpg (36 KB, 240x263) Image search: [Google]
roads.jpg
36 KB, 240x263
>>14558629
They will never be popular mate.

What fuckin material are they going to be made out of to handle high speeds, weight, heat and still flex? My current tyres are two years and counting.

Also have you ever seen where those re-treaded truck tyres let loose and fling across the road at 60mpg? That's going to be happening on every car with these shitty tyres with the rubber glued to the tweel bullshit.

What happens if you get mud or rocks or a stick or some cunt glues some shit in there
>>
>>14558769
then it won't be able to compress as air won't escape
make holes for the air to escape through and they'll get clogged with mud and shit to easily.
>>
>>14558792
What if only the outside is covered so the inboard side is open? (arguing for the sake of arguing, I don't actually think these are a good idea)
>>
>>14558629

Try braking with those on, idiot.
>>
>>14558802
then the inboard side will fill with mud and shit, stuff will collect in the now oartially closed crevice, etc.
also much more open to damage since you won't notice as much if people fuck with it.
>>
File: dsl-g46.gif (7 KB, 517x351) Image search: [Google]
dsl-g46.gif
7 KB, 517x351
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airless_tire#Disadvantages
>>
>>14558629

airless tyres are way more complex than traditional tyres, and they will still break regularly but you wont be able to repair them - they are just another run-flat tyre but more expensive, they might have some military application but they are never going to be on civilian cars
>>
>>14558629
>2016, carrying a spare.
>>
>>14558629
>implying spares are still a thing on new vehicles
>implying they didn't already get replaced by that shitty spray-repair thing
>>
>>14558792
Because current tire don't compress because the air can't escape huh? Air is compressible, newfriend.
>>
>>14559395
Current pneumatic tires are made to hold air to support the vehicle. Those non pneumatic tires are meant to support the vehicle without the assistance of air pressure so any added air pressure will make the wheel unstable especially because the air can't fluidly move through the tire. You'll get cells that have higher pressure than the rest of the tire and at speed that will be a shit show.
>>
>>14558770
>automatic cars are never going to popular, they just don't offer enough over a manual, people will never buy them
>>
>>14558770
Stop being a fag, if these tires get the TPMS sensors removed from normie's cars, it's a good thing.

Most people don't give a fuck about tire pressure unless there's some sensor blinking or making annoying noises.
>>
>>14558754
Just like how they just love to slash them all the time these days
>>
>>14558803
Que? Why wouldn't it brake?
>>
What happens with high horsepower cars? Or cornering? I can't see these drifting well.
>>
>>14558629
Hope not
It looks like shit
>>
These look like they have no fucking sidewall rigidity at all
>>
>>14558629
>turn at speeds exceeding 5mph
>tire tears off
>rim snaps in half
>>
>>14559172

Hate that shit. I just installed a spare on my 500 because I don't trust that my tire isn't going to get shredded at some point and leave me stranded.
>>
>>14558803
>>14558946
>>14561115
>>14561191
>>14561227
>a technology in it's early stages of development hasn't had all the kinks worked out yet, that means it will never ever be good
>>
>>14561652
>Do you think airless tires will replace regular tires completely any time soon?
>any time soon?
>soon
>>
>>14561652
>flaws inherent to the concept can be fixed by improving the design
>>
>>14561661
Considering that pneumatic tires have been used on cars for 120 years, even 50 years from now would be sooner than later.
>>
>>14561694
>inherent to the concept
Material engineering would like a word with you, you simple minded idiot.
>>
>>14561661
>implying it won't take only a few years of refinement to perfect these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXdWRLbmrEs
>>
>>14561705
What's your degree in?
>>
>>14558629
Considering the fact that they have been around for over a decade and have never made it to anything other than construction equipment and forklifts, no. They will never see widespread use.
>>
>>14561711
>>implying it won't take only a few years of refinement to perfect these
>implying you tweelfags haven't been saying this since 2002
>>
>>14561711
>polaris looks to put these into production next year
>video published 2013
>2013+3
>next year
>next
>>>>>>
>>
>>14558770
>Also have you ever seen where those re-treaded truck tyres let loose and fling across the road at 60mpg?

I'd say they're pretty efficient.
>>
>>14561652
No I was legitimately asking about how drifting and high HP cars work. I've never driven on them or seen them irl so idk how they work.
>>
>>14558644
you're surrounded by air
>>
>>14562421
They are in production though. Just for ATVs.
>>
I already moved the doughnut to a spare parts rack and put a full size spare on the roof because jeep
I'm planning on putting a few computers onboard for wardriving and such
>>
>>14558629
Can't race on airless tires. No stability, very loose, vibrations fuck you up, etc. Won't replace what I have on my car.
>>
Actual tire expert here, and fuck no

Neat concept, but far too many drawbacks, and tires as we know them haven't even come close to their limits of technology yet.

Most of the drawback is rigidity. The car in the left picture would be pretty much undrivable. No ability to hold any lateral grip, and no means to control twist during acceleration or deceleration. The closest we will come to these tires is mainstream runflat tires, which is already starting to be a thing with Bridgestone Driveguard tires.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.