[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Turboshaft vehicles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9
File: mtt-420r-turbine-bike.jpg (118 KB, 1000x522) Image search: [Google]
mtt-420r-turbine-bike.jpg
118 KB, 1000x522
Litteraly name one reason why every super car/bike doesn't have a turboshaft engine.

>insane reliability, can run for tens of thousands of hours on 3/4th throttle

>insane power to weight and volume ratio

>fairly cheap to mass produce, easy to repair

>modern ones can run on diesel
>>
>people tend to value there lives
>>
>>14439340
Their
>>
Fuel economy, heat/exhaust management, cost of manufacturing, and the fact that when they go wrong they tend to grenade and take out everything within 50' next to them.
>>
>800 degree EGTs
>only usable at or near 100% rpm
>ridiculously expensive components
>50,000 RPM turbine and compressor potentially very close to you
>>
>>14439379
>Fuel economy
We are talking about super cars not mom wagons.
>heat
When has this been I problem in turboshaft engines? The m1 abrams is a 70 ton block of ceramic (which is shit at radiating heat) powered by a 1500 hp gas turbine, and it can operate in 120 degree dusty (which means air choking filters) deserts all fuckin day. The exhaust can actually destroy cars and people behind it though so I'll give you that one.
>>
>>14439386
>>14439379
Eh, the explode part is nothing an inch or two of steel plate below the floorboard couldn't fix, or just use the weight you saved from switching to a turbine to make a thin aluminum tub around the driver a10 warthog style
>>
File: 1440973016117.png (70 KB, 247x200) Image search: [Google]
1440973016117.png
70 KB, 247x200
>420hp

>bike
>>
This shit is stupid and already dead.

Even now you can get similar power numbers by using electric motors with way less dangerous and over complicated parts.
>>
>>14439520
>Electric motors

What are you doing up this late? You have a long day of suckING off Elon musk tommorow.

Also there's no way electric engines can compete with turbo shafts in anything larger than about a ton, as election engines don't scale up well.

Like, good like making 30000 shp election engines to power a tu95. Also batteries are heavy as fuark.
>>
>>14439447
Fuel economy matters because you don't want to have to load your supercar down with 100 gallons of gas to make it 200 miles.

The Abrams has pretty monster radiators and fans to deal with heat, but yeah, I was more concerned about the exhaust.

>>14439467
I'm more concerned about other cars and pedestrians than the drivers, since when they blow up they tend to throw fan blades out to the side.

I also forgot about noise levels, I'm not sure how effectively you can muffle a turbine and still have it run decently.

You also need a pretty crazy transmission to gear a turbine down to speeds that make sense for wheel-driven vehicles, and they're not great when it comes to torque either.

I do think, though, that a turbine-electric drive might be a reasonable idea. It's already pretty common in trains and ships and stuff, and a small turbine that just generated power could be lighter than a gas engine of similar power, so it might make sense for a hybrid supercar.
>>
>>14439592
I have no idea what kind of mpg one could expect from a turboshaft but the isp for aircraft engines is about half as effecient. So 10 mpg is a reasonable goal.

Noise is no problem, most well designed turbines are actually quieter. Those pedestrians might be fucked, but I honostly believe they could develop some kind of engine case or something built into the cars frame that could catch most of the fragments.

I don't know shit aboUT transmissions but the millitary has made it work for 45 mph tanks, and I'd assume you could get enough torque as a Blackhawk engine Litteraly has like 2600 shp, and only weighs 400 pounds dry.
>>
Turbines have shitty ass throttle response. Turbines are quite common in the race boat world though but boats usually run flat out at full throttle.
>>
How are emissions? Not that I care, but the government does.
>>
that engine is an Allison 250 by the looks of it, and at 450 horsepower that's about 25-30 gallons per hour.
>>
>>14439316
Does anybody know what the most powerful turboshaft that could fit in a car is.
>>
>>14440150
yeah
>>
File: niggabusa.jpg (82 KB, 500x664) Image search: [Google]
niggabusa.jpg
82 KB, 500x664
>>14439316
Not a retarded nigger from America that thinks going fast down a highway on a 200+hp bike is cool.

Why are Americans unaware of corners?
>>
>>14440150
They do pt6 conversions for vettes.
>>
>>14440227
Because of Australia.
lol Australia
>>
>>14440172
Would you please tell me what it is.
>>
>>14440270
Holy shit really, that's awsome!
>>
>>14440227
>Sheeeiittttt
I never understood the upstanding African Gentleman's obsession with Nip hairdryers.
>>
>>14439316
>>fairly cheap to mass produce, easy to repair
a quick search yeilds prices well into to $100k range, not sure how much they'll be able to bring that price down desu
>>
>>14439487
>Have little hand spasm
>Bike just fucks off to space
IF you could control that it would be insane. Imagine the sound of that flying by at 300kmh
>>
>>14440279
I dont get it?
>>
>like 7% efficiency
>retardedly small usable rpm range
>plus retardedly high engine rpms (lolgearboxratios)
>160 decibels
>NOx
>>
>>14439316
>reliability
nope. i have no idea who youve been talking to but turbine engines are far less reliable than the current iteration of 2 or 4 stroke engines.

>insane power to weight/volume
yeah thats true.

>cheap easy to repair
Cheap? hah no, a NA 2 cylinder air cooled would be LEAGUES cheaper than a turbine engine, BHP/$ the turbine engines are far behind. They are less complex though and ill give you that they may be easier to repair

>running on diesel
Think bigger, turbine engines will run on damn near anything flammable, oil, diesel, kerosene. Theres an ancient story of the old chrysler turbine engine car being powered by tequila

Turbine engines have a few large drawbacks though.

Firstly they require more precision engineering/machining than a piston engine, not so bad in a first world nation, but no good for cheap third worlds.

theyre fucking loud as all hell. most are operating north of 25,000rpm we simply cant make bearings capable of supporting that quietly,

>>14439386
>>14439447
modern turbine engines actually recycle the exhaust into heat exchangers which dramatically lowers exhaust temp (and increasing power output), its still warm/hot but its not like the old Y2K bike or early turbine engine powered tanks that had a reputation for melting bumpers and headlights.

>>14439592
the noise that needs to be muffled is not the exhaust, thats actually fairly quiet, the killer is bearing/shaft noise.

Now if you wanted to go all out you could aways try something silly with magnetic suspension.
>>
also id like to add this nugget

Due to their piss all torque, one guy in the UK decided to replace the exhaust side of his turbo with one. Constant 40psi of boost from idle to redline no lag. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGYUUBkPG74
>>
>>14439316

Because engines are designed to fulfill the needs of the vehicles they power. A plane takes advantadge of the benefits a jet engine provides, but sticking it on a bike or a car requires immensely complex engineering to even get it on par with ICE or even electric. It's not worth it because it would make the vehicle plain worse. And that's not even considering all the safety hazards, acoustic contamination, and maintenance costs.

I mean, what a fucking stupid question. Why don't we put a nuclear reactor in a bike? Submarines have them, so it can work. Imagine 3 million hp woohooo
>>
>>14439316
>can run for tens of thousands of hours on 3/4th throttle
This sounds helpful to you?
>>
>>14439316
>500 ft lbs of torque
>420 shp

>on a hayabusa sized bike
>>
>>14441638
>nuclear reactor
>not being propelled by casaba howitzers project orion style
>not having 200 mega newtons of thrust on demand
>>
>420bhp on a superbike
>Go over small bump
>Throttle hand vibrates slightly
>Go from 20-70mph in a school zone in 1 second.
Sure showed em boss.
>>
>>14440227

what is it with basketball americans and Hayabusas?

I swear I see at least 3-4 of them daily when it's riding weather.
>>
>>14441813
Hayabusas are a memebike, like beats are a memeheadphone.
>>
>>14439316
>two whole speeds
W O W
O
W
>>
>>14439316
Fuel consumption, exhaust heat, and they're not actually that light if you include the armour for in case a turbine blade lets go.
>>
>>14439316

*Throttle*
*wwwwwwwwrrrrrrrrrRrrrRRRRrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR*
*Wait patiently*
>>
>>14439316

YO BRUV DATS A SICK BIKE WOW MAN YOU MUST GET MAD PUSSY HOLY SHIT DUDE SO SWEET LET ME DRIVE IT DAWG AWW MAN SUCH A NICE BIKE DUDE YEAH

>two weeks later

Mike will be missed. He leaves behind his 3 children, 2 of which belong to his current wife Amanda. Funeral processions will be held at the Lazy Dogs trailer park off I98, next to the building they were planning on turning into a hooters. Thanks everyone for coming out.
>>
File: Jaaaag.png (318 KB, 800x617) Image search: [Google]
Jaaaag.png
318 KB, 800x617
>>14439316

Major reason is >>14442356, gas turbines just aren't very responsive to changes in engine speed and have a poor torque distribution i.e. all at the top end.

They do however show some promise as range extenders (see pic) running at a fixed RPM for a long time. I'd love to see them in high end motorsports, perhaps coupled to a CVT.
>>
>>14442639
that was my original thought. i don't think a direct drive would be feasible due to the massive difference in RPM between the turbine and road wheels. Also the throttle response would be extremely poor.

A turbine powering a generator / small battery with an electric motor at each corner would be a better idea.
>>
>>14439592
Do you know of any documentaries or videos or something about the Abrams you'd recommend?
>>
Hey faggots I just remembered something that will fix like half of the problems with this bike.

We Add a big precooler to the intake skylon style. Using math from the sabre and j58 turbojets this will give us:

>A 30 percent increase in fuel effecient

>anywhere from 2-4 times the thrust, which I'll translate into a 100 percent increase to 4 times as much in terms of horsepower.
>>
>>14443859
1680 hp, 2000 ft lb torque super bikes when?
>>
>>14443875
>>14443859

W-what would happen if we could put an engine like this in a bike? The bike has to be atleast 6 feet longer than a normal hayabusa thanks to the long ass turboshaft and precooler so I think we can manage not to wheel over.
>>
File: 420R_BLACK_WITH_BLUE_SEAT.jpg (176 KB, 1592x826) Image search: [Google]
420R_BLACK_WITH_BLUE_SEAT.jpg
176 KB, 1592x826
emergency bump
>>
>>14439316
kind of bulky
super hot exhaust
>>
File: 16836_large_turbines_1.jpg (333 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
16836_large_turbines_1.jpg
333 KB, 1600x1066
>>14439316
A sexy new 200mph Jaguar supercar that blends sporting looks and performance with the latest ‘green’ technology is set to rock the prestigious Paris Motor Show when it is officially unveiled today.

The new two-seater Jaguar C-X75 is a £200,000 electric hybrid vehicle uses hi-tech jet-turbine know-how from the aviation industry to sprint from rest to 62 mph in just 3.5 seconds and up to 100mph in just 5.5 seconds.

It was already being dubbed last night ‘The E-Type for the 21st Century’ and is set to be pored over by a Government minister on a trade mission to the Paris show today.
>>
File: 327.jpg (42 KB, 500x589) Image search: [Google]
327.jpg
42 KB, 500x589
>>14439316
>tfw no 52,000 rpm tachometer
As with all issues relating to these types of engines, why not scale it down smaller and add a turbo or two for some torques?

I really want this to become a new meme engine
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.