[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MIATA TOP THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: Screenshot_2015-12-28-19-22-46.png (4 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-28-19-22-46.png
4 MB, 2560x1440
Hey /o/ I just bought this meme machine with a "Racing top" that basically has no gasket and leaks like a bitch. Where can I find a hard top that is actually reliable and more OEM styled that isnt going to destroy my wallet? Is it possible to order one from Mazda?
>>
>>14130772
Either seal it up or drop a grand on an OEM top off Craigslist. Or, you know, put the ragtop up.
>>
>>14130822
my ragtop is shreded and has a huge rip in it.
>>
>>14130772
Sell racetop and use that money plus some of your own to buy on OEM top
>>
File: 20151220_131640-01.jpg (1 MB, 2183x1454) Image search: [Google]
20151220_131640-01.jpg
1 MB, 2183x1454
>>14131264
this. OEM is pretty much the only way to go. I got mine for 900, paint isn't great but the fitment is spot on. Prepare to spend about 700 if you get a new soft top with zipper and replace all the seals. the seals are stupid expensive.

imo it's not worth it to buy a soft top, just remove the frame and all, save an extra 200 for the hard top, and be done with it. that's what I did with my last miata.
>>
>>14131309
>silver hardtop on blue miats
Ayyy I'm rocking the same. Paid $830 for mine only because it was the cheapest on market at the time. Going to paint it black though, it'll look better and be easier to sell.
>>
File: 20151224_084849-1.jpg (2 MB, 1995x1547) Image search: [Google]
20151224_084849-1.jpg
2 MB, 1995x1547
Mine came with the oem hardtop and it's the same color.
Just find a good one on Craigslist
>>
File: DSC_6243_25x25.jpg (128 KB, 1072x712) Image search: [Google]
DSC_6243_25x25.jpg
128 KB, 1072x712
>>14131327
I was thinking the same thing, paint it black or maybe dip it. also considering dipping the A pillars/windshield frame to match a la pic related
>>
File: IMG_2865a.jpg (499 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2865a.jpg
499 KB, 800x600
>>14131339
>tfw somebody has a sunburst yellow and red Miata with matching OEM hardtops just a block from me
I drive by every day just hoping to see the yellow one for sale. I want to have the two greatest colors, mariner blue and sunburst yellow.
>>
>>14131371
that's the turbo miata from Toms turbo garage isn't it?
>>
>>14131377
yes it is lol
>>
>>14130772
Dude!
just get ssome RTP gasket maker in a tube, read the labels and get the right kind its wicked inexpensive and will not leak. that or cauking in a tube. simplist solution.
>>
I'd buy that top off of you if you're around the Lehigh Valley.
>>
If you want to try to seal what you already have look at a McMaster Carr catalog, they have various adhesive back rubberized foam strips, I used a D shape one for my camper shell and it worked pretty well
>>
>>14131386

Seriously. With the disclaimer that Ive never owned a miat, I see all these threads concerning leaks and wonder two things:

Can you motherfuckers not sow? People sow leather, why cant one sow a torn top and then sow a patch over the rip like you do a rubber roof?

Or juat seal on install, there are silicones, expensive as fuck, but they exist where you can go out in a rainstorm and seal a skylight. Why not lay a bead of some good shit, place hardtop on, torque down 4 hours later and never touch it again?

Dont get it
>>
>>14131494
it's usually the plastic windows that rip/crack. not really repairable.

and if you just gob sealer all over the place like you said, you can't remove the top without breaking the seal.
>>
Meh hard tops make the mediocre look even worse.

Only decent hardtop ive seen is the coupe conversion
>>
>>14131514

Except for yeah, you totally could repair a plastic window. At the most tard simple level, one could just make a paper template of the window, cut the same size piece of plexiglass, seal it on the inside making a rigid window and call it a day.

Or you could probably find a waaay cleaner more simple way of doing it actually knowing what they feel like.

I mean, why would goopy silicone and a teeny mesh piece if needed not seal a window? Its nearly 2016, we've got some gnarly shit at the hardware store.
>>
>>14131494

I bought a Miata with a tear in the roof that really lowered the price down because no one wanted to touch it. Bought a $10 roll of marine canvas that was a close match. Used $3 adhesive alone to hold it on for over a year. Top still went up and down fine no leaks. Eventually sewed the edge to give it a cleaner look. The tops are too terribly expensive but they're a huge pain in the ass to replace. It takes a pro shop like 4-6 hours.
>>
>>14131514
Not the last guy, but I've wondered the same.

They make relatively inexpensive rubber stick on seals (similar to what goes around your house's outside doors). Why can't you trace the top with that, then set it on the car? Should be air and water tight, especially when you lock everything in place. Wouldn't cost more than 50 bucks for a few feet of good quality rubber seal stuff.
>>
>>14131551

meant the tops are NOT not too terribly expensive
>>
>>14131551

That sounds like exactly what should be a sensible approach.
>>
Miatas look rather silly with hardtops.

Stop that.
>>
>>14131514

Also, i said "lay a bead"

You said "gob all over the place"

You sound like you do good work.
>>
>>14131587

>Confirmed for shit taste.
>>
Where do I start looking for hardtop? Local craiglist is empty, checked forums, but not really interested in paying for shipping, my soft top is almost done
>>
>>14131608
I bought mine off of a miata club page on facebook
>>
>>14131608

Do you have a local SCCA club? Guys in my region are always selling tops on their forum. Spec Miata racers are always trading around tops too. They're the reason why the prices are so high.
>>
>>14131623
Wow, haven't though about it, thanks, will check my local SCCA club and spec miata racers
>>
>>14131339
another miata with the tires on backwards?
it's like you guys are retarded or something
>>
>>14131688
Wut
These are water shedding tires the pattern goes the opposite direction on the side you can't see. There is no wrong way to put these tires on
>>
File: DFyT75u[1].jpg (594 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
DFyT75u[1].jpg
594 KB, 2448x3264
>tfw no hard top yet

soon..
>>
is there an up to date database that records prices for year and condition of miatas in countries/regions?
>>
>>14132355
no. Why would somebody spend such time creating a database for that?
>>
File: image.jpg (195 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
195 KB, 750x1334
Is there any other top in the market like this?
>>
>>14132610
Nope.

There are other hardtops though.

1. Autokonexion fastback, expect a steep price and a far out delivery date. Few pop up for sale through forums, or even Craigslist and they will charge a premium as well because of how few exist.

2. Tyrant Fabrication double bubble hardtop. Will cost $750 but they're currently at prototype stage, so I'd be a little skeptical on fitment and if it will come with windows, mounting hardware, or even weather seals.

Like others have said ITT though, OEM is best overall and it is worth the time to find one in good condition at a fair price.
>>
>>14132788

Thanks, if i have the money i might go with autos or rev9 hardtops, and tyrants price isnt that bad but I'll probably go with the oem
>>
>>14130772
I bought an oem hard top for 1200, they are expensive as fuck.
>>
>>14132894
>>
>>14132049

Why? The car looks awesome.
>>
>>14130822
It has these hige wrinkles in the back windshield and would take a lot of shit to seal it up
>>
OP here. I guess it wouldnt hurt to try to seal it back up but it has some massive wrinkles because i think the back windshield is a bit too large so id have to cake that shit onto it. If that doesnt work ill just buy an oem top but i cant quite find one on craigslist. I offered to one dude but he said that he didnt want to sell it off of his r package.
>>
>>14133162
They're between 350€ (~$385) in summer and 600€ (~$655) in winter here. Used, of course. Why buy new.
>>
>>14133391
Whawawa, that's dirt cheap! In California you can expect to pay $800-$1200
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.