[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chevy and GMC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Chevrolet GMC.jpg (20 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Chevrolet GMC.jpg
20 KB, 400x400
Someone please explain what's the point of having these two brands co-exist side by side? I'm kind of aware that GMC brand only produces SUV and trucks, but they're all based on Chevy.

Shouldnt one of these 2 brands be killed during the bailout?
>>
>>14066051
No one knows

>Chebby: The every man's car and truck
>GMC: Used to be trucks and vans and shit but now is more of a luxury trucks and SUV brand but still sells work trucks and vans
>Cadillac: Luxury cars and SUV
>Buick: What's a Buick?

I like GM, but their brands confuse me.
>>
>>14066087
Buick does the imports, a lot of them are now rebadged Opels.
They even did rebadged Opels back in the day too, so really it's not that out of character.
>>
File: 5.jpg (477 KB, 1280x782) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
477 KB, 1280x782
Can;t thank GMC enough for making this though

Pickup truck on cocaine.
>>
>>14066087
Buick is supposed to be mid-level luxury, like mercury

Which is kinda stupid and pointless IMO
>>
>>14066321
Premium is the word you're after. Premium covers Buicks and Mercuries like you said, I like to include lower end BMW and Mercedes in this genre.

I get pissy when people slap the luxury label on Audi and the premium label on Oldsmobile. Those are technological brands. Quattro, Hydramatic, first American diesel car, etc.

But to note, the Chevrolet and GMC deal is an exercise in brand identity and loyalty, dealer shit, and awaiting the next massive trend like SUVs. 50 MPG 500 HP I4 standard in Denali trim when?
>>
GMC is the trucks on the Buick/Cadillac lots that don't carry Chevy cars and trucks for brand image reasons.
>>14066087
Still sore over Pontiac getting the axe over Buick, but China loves Buicks. I want to believe in some Berenstein alternate universe Pontiac turned into a performance brand sharing Holden platforms/models, Saturn kept its independence and stayed a plucky import fighter, and Buick died in favor of Oldsmobile.
I guess with Buick they can keep teasing us that a GNX could come out, maybe, somday.
>>
>>14066321
>Buick is supposed to be mid-level luxury, like mercury
Guess what? Ford realized Mercury was pointless and axed it.
>>
>>14066132
>>14066321
>>14066389
I know what a Buick is, lads. I was making fun of their ad campaign from a few months ago where they pride themselves in having reinvented their brand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTyrm-pVWt8
>>
>>14066087
Don't forget:

>Pontiac: We make cool shit! But it's better than Chebby's so GM killed us cold.
>Oldsmobile: We make cool shit! But it's better than Chebby's so GM took away our Rocket V8, gave us a bunch of rebadged garbage and then left us dead in a ditch.
>>
One is Chevrolet
The other is a Grown Man's Chevrolet
>>
>>14066051
Simple, GMC wasn't killed in the bailouts because they were the only branch of Chevy turning in profits.

As always, the money is the deciding factor. Want more? check Stolen Recaro's posts on why Chevy is such a shit brand here: http://archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/13967457/
>>
>>14066051
It dates back to the days when GM had 5 different car divisions.

Dealerships that sold Chevrolet cars also sold Chevrolet trucks.

Dealerships that sold Buick/Oldsmobile/Pontiac/Cadillac cars sold GMC trucks. That way they wouldn't have the Chevrolet name shitting up the dealership's marketing.
>>
>>14066051
It's a sales channel things.

Really no down-side since all they need to do it stick a different grill on it.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.