[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SUV recommendation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: 2015-Jeep-Renegade-Trailhawk-1.jpg (350 KB, 1280x899) Image search: [Google]
2015-Jeep-Renegade-Trailhawk-1.jpg
350 KB, 1280x899
Don't usually post on /o/ so pardon me if this If I'm not asking this properly.

I'm looking for

>2010 or newer
>no preference for new or pre-owned at the point.
>$24000 max (assuming decent financing)
>decent MPGs (greater than 18/23)
>true four wheel drive

Basically, I have a new job that is 20mi from home (I live in NY) and I don't know if my little 06' Focus can survive a winter season with that much travel. I definitely don't want to be stuck at work if a storm hits either. I'd like to be able to just cruise right through it.

I had looked at a 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk that a dealer was gonna sell me for $21,824 but the deal kinda fell through.

I'm thinking maybe a Nissan Xterra, Subaru Outback, or older Jeep Grand Cherokee?
>>
Xterra, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser
>>
>>13988257
BTW i have an Xterra love it. MPGs arent great but its useful and hasnt gotten me stuck. Also it has been extremely reliable.
>>
>>13988257
based fj cruiser
>>
have u considered a subaru?
>>
File: subie.png (86 KB, 1075x588) Image search: [Google]
subie.png
86 KB, 1075x588
>true 4WD
>any crossover, ever

Crossovers have AWD, but none have true part- or full-time 4WD. It sounds like you don't actually need an "offroad vehicle" or even true 4WD. Look up videos of any AWD crossover in the snow/ice and make a decision based on that. With a crossover, you'll get better mileage and on-road comfort.

Just read this and then tell me you want something "tougher":
http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/how-i-turned-my-subaru-outback-into-a-real-adventuremob-1716068985

Even 90% of "true" off-road vehicle owners never take their vehicles through anything tougher than snow or forest service roads anyhow.
>>
File: 01.jpg (99 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
99 KB, 640x480
>>13988508
after reading responses from this thread and a sister /k/ thread I made, I'm definitely going to be looking at Subaru's as an option.

what does /o/ think about the VW Tiguan?
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/647606853/overview/

seems kinda like what I'm looking for. just dont know much about it.
>>
>>13988228
>tfw daily a 98 XJ
Maximum comfy
>>
>>13988228
You don't need 4WD.
>>
>>13988508
>Crossovers have AWD, but none have true part- or full-time 4WD.
AWD and 4WD mean the same thing. Part and full time systems are the only distinction.
>>
>>13989736
Tiguans prior to 2012 were reliability clusterfucks, stay with the newer models and you should be fine.
>>
>>13991949
This is a neverending debate for which there is no conclusive answer. Car companies have used the terms 4x4, 4wd, and AWD interchangeably and inconsistently for at least 50 years.

By the purists definition, "true" 4wd must be able to lock at least the center differential (like old 4x4's in which the front axle could either freewheel or could be locked to the always-driven rear axle).

This is as opposed to the now more common full time system which has an open or limited-slip center differential, which MAY not be capable of fully locking.
>>
Yo faggot just throw a set of snows on the focus. 195/60/15 is a cheap size and used wheels are everywhere on CL and at the junk yard by now.
>>
>>13992005
>This is a neverending debate for which there is no conclusive answer.
No, there is a conclusive answer.
>Car companies have used the terms 4x4, 4wd, and AWD interchangeably
Because they are.
>By the purists definition
Their 'definition' is irrelevant because it's nonsense. A center locking differential is just that. 4WD doesn't have anything to do with differential locks or, like some people believe for some reason, transfer case speeds.
>>
>>13992014
I actually agree more with this guy.

Buy a nice set of snow tires and mount them on some nice rims. Go hog wild, spend $1000 on it. You'll have a better payoff that way.

Unless your '06 focus has no ABS/TC. Which is possible.
>>
>>13992052
Abs/tc is pretty bad on that Gen focus. I had one with abs and one without, the abs car got weird on snow and the one without was easy to slide and control. Both were almost unstopable with snows though
>>
>>13992052
ABS wouldn't matter much in the snow, anyway. Neither would traction control. I do fine without that.
>>
>>13992116
Good TC in the snow means you can just mat the gas pedal and give no fucks. Bad TC in the snow means you go literally nowhere. I do fine without it, too, but there's times when I miss my old Saturn that had it.
>>
File: 2010 RX 350.jpg (147 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
2010 RX 350.jpg
147 KB, 1024x682
>>13989736
I don't actually know shit about the Tiguan, other than Volkswagen doesn't manage to sell very many.

I do know that it's about the same size as a Lexus RX-series, and that you can get a 4 or 5 year old RX 350 for around your budget. It might be boring, but it's not a bad vehicle, they're breddy comfy, and reliable as fuck.

If you want something fun and interesting, the Mazda CX-5 is supposed to be pretty decent. C&D had one for a long-term 40k mile test and loved it, but said it sucked in deep Montana snow. Their Montana editor DID like the previous long-term Kia Sportage in the snow, but everyone else was unimpressed with it on dry pavement.
>>
Gonna stop and take a look at this tomorrow.

What does /o/ think?

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium
~15, 000 miles
$18,000

http://m.cars.com/vehicledetail/#!vdp?listingId=648705781&year=2014&stkTyp=U&mkNm=Subaru&mdNm=XV%20Crosstrek&zc=&partyId=undefined
>>
File: Capture.png (33 KB, 489x361) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
33 KB, 489x361
>>13993157
shit. well, there goes that idea.
>>
90s jeep cherokee 4.0 4x4 for less than 2000
>>
>>13992116
This. My '01 Civic LX has zero nanny features and does just fine in the snow. Never got stuck.
>>
What's wrong with Jeep?
I'm seriously considering Cherokee. My VW is costing too much money to maintain
>>
>>13994053
Jeep is trash for build quality, reliability, and toughness.
>>
>>13988228
if you live downstate you're a stupid motherfucker

just get snow tires you idiot you don't even know what snow is, it snows 2 weeks out of the whole fucking year
>>
>>13994053
The only things Jeep is making right now that have moderately decent reliability are the Wrangler and the Patriot, neither of which are particularly well appointed or modern. They manage to at least hit "average" more often than not in CR's used car roundup.

Build quality is generally garbage and materials are obviously and blatantly cheap.

But the Patriot is one hell of a value proposition right now - there's so many rebates dumped on it right now that it's pretty close to being the cheapest new car in america
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.