[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quick Detailing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (192 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
192 KB, 1920x1080
I get an awful lot of dust on my daily driver, and I don't really trust a QD solution to get it all off without scratching the paint, even if I do it a couple times per week between washes.

Would this be a decent solution? I would ideally do this once per week and wash it once per week:
- rinse the car very thoroughly with low and then moderate pressure
- allow it to air dry or blow dry it (so I don't have to touch it and risk swirling)
- hit it with the QD to remove water spots and give it the finishing touch

Or for the trouble, would I be better off sucking it up and fully washing the thing twice per week?
>>
>>15400784
Seems like a good plan.
If it's just dust you could do a pre soak with a foam gun, let it dwell for 5 minutes.
Rinse and dry with a leaf blower. Use the QD to get anything left over.

I've also had good luck with Optimum no rinse car washes.
>swirl marks are inevitable.
>>
>>15400784
>risk swirling
Swirl Marks are from dealer detailing. They use orbital buffers to get the job done fast. The fresh coat of wax hides the swirl marks. Since you already bought the car, it is no longer their problem. The only problem is speed in getting the car detailed and out the door so they can make room for another.

That's why the swirl marks are so perfectly circular. It's not like your own hands make such perfect circular marks with such small radius. Those small radius swirls are obviously from orbital buffers.

I use a hand duster to remove pollen and dust on the car. It works well and no scratch marks. It also lets the wax shine again because the touch of the duster is very light. And no, I am not using one of those heavy "california dusters" which suck on exteriors or interiors for that matter. Those things are from an old long gone era and should be forgotten.
>>
>>15400846
I actually meant "risk scratching." My bad. Thanks for the info though.

My dad has always used a Cali Duster with good results, but again I'm super nervous about scratches. What duster do you use?
>>
>>15400841
I've been hearing good things about ONR. Maybe I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

I just don't want to pay for a car wash or take the time to do a two-bucket job twice per week.
>>
what can i do about dust from storage and how can i stop animals from walking on my car
>>
>>15400784
autism
>>
File: baboons.jpg (52 KB, 450x293) Image search: [Google]
baboons.jpg
52 KB, 450x293
>>15400871
>What duster do you use?
I wax with a reasonably durable wax. Then the dusting approach works well between washes. If something heavy gets on like sap or bird poop, then I use the detailing spray. The best duster to use is not microfiber duster. It is the static dust brush type of duster. Lots of fine synthetic strips generate a lot of static and hold the dust. But importantly, the touch is light as a feather. You can search walmart.com for static dust brush or check theur duster section. It is blue colored. It is not microfiber which sucks for this purpose as those are hard to clean.

After you get some dust on the statis dust brush, go some distance away from the car and twirl the brush handle between your hands. The spinning brush will generate an equalized static charge and all the charged dust flies off the brush. Thus it is relatively self cleaning in that way and it never really greases up because the dust flying off also carries off some of the grime too. Once twirled clean, dust some more of the car body until done. It does not scratch because there is hardly any weight on the car's surface. You are not pressing the brush down so hard that the brush handle touches the car.

Also check out the various archived detailing threads. I learned of the static brush from someone's post in a past /o/ thread. The thread URL below is not where I learned of it, but it does have some nice /o/ comments and strangely enough the trolls are not too numerous with their one line attacks.

https://archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15054456

>>15400913
>how can i stop animals from walking on my car
You can't stop a cat, but raccoons may jump from a nearby object. In my area, the really dangerous animals don't walk on the car. They carry bolt cutters or a crowbar or one of window breaking punches. They come in the stealth of the dark night, their dark sillhouettes masked by the darkness as their dark spirited bodies skulk closer and closer....
>>
>>15401098
You can tell those baboons hated that white lady. Most of the severe claw marks down to primer and metal are near her face. It's good these baboons have not learned to throw rocks at cars. Once one of them does it, the others all emulate throwing rocks.

However, if you buy XXXX brand wax, it is guaranteed to protect your car! Buy it today! Even rocks slide right off its hard carnaouba waxx finish!
>>
>>15401098
Awesome. I went full retard and didn't think to check for archived threads.

Thanks everyone.
>>
Good
>>
>>15401850
The wax I use is one of the new all polymer waxes. Not the old school carnauba wax. Carnauba is what is in the 1990's Meguiar's Gold Class. Carnauba is soft and comes off fast in daily driving. As you drive, dust, pollen, dirt, grime hits the surface and bounce off carrying off a little bit of the wax. That's why after 2 weeks of driving, a lot of the wax on the nose is gone while you still have some gold class left on your door.

The advantage of gold class is that the wax layers on deep and thus you get that visually deep shine that many people find more appealing than the bright surface shine of Zaino, Meguiar's Ultimate, or Turtle Wax ICE.

However, I use Turtle Wax ICE because its all polymer wax formula goes on very easy and comes off very easy. Same with Meguiar's Ultimate Wax. Those polymer waxes need time to "cure" onto the surface as their carrier slowly evaporates. So that is both their strength (easy to remove excess when it is not cured) and weakness (long cure time). After you wax it, leave it out in the sun and it cures very fast. Inside the garage it can be up to 3 days. Yes, I experimented since I have 2 cars and could leave one in there. Once cured, it sticks far better than carnauba and shines right back up when you use a static duster on it.

Whoever recommended that static dust brush in the old /o/ thread was great. But if you skim fast, you would have missed his comment. I remember someone who read it carelessly and interpreted that non-microfiber meant it was microfiber. USA high schools are just too watered down now and let anything graduate as long as they weren't kicked out for crimes. So it's just an endurance game now for middle and low quality high schools that keep teachers employed and wealthy with those pensions and benefits. Over half of my property taxes pay for education/teacher pensions. Thus less than half pays for everything else like police,fire,roads,gov't employees, buildings, utilities, etc.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.