[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (427 KB, 1014x585) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
427 KB, 1014x585
What should I do?
>99 C5
>93k Miles
>8k-10k engine budget

I figure I can super charge it
Do a GMP LS3 525hp Swap into it
Or do heads and cam and call it a day

Original plan was to get the engine built, but with an unknown service history pre-76k miles, I don't know what issues I'm going to start running into, when I actually start getting into it. And If I do a swap, I can probably throw the old block up on CL and mitigate some of the cost of the new engine.

Assuming the engine is fine, I can supercharge it to sub 500 HP on a stock bottom end. But that's still a budget of 7-8k to cover unforeseen costs & installation.

I can cam/heads it for 430-450, and it would probably be the cheapest route and give me enough joy on a spirited drive (I would hope).

I don't plan on getting rid of the car anytime soon, but I also don't know which direction to take it in. The closet jew in me is telling me to go with the cheapest route, the gear head side of me is saying swap. What say you?

Also post questions if you got em, lets see how many lives we can fuck up.
>>
I'm in a similar boat as you OP, but mine is a 2000 with 63k miles. I'm in CA too so heads and cams is not an option

Bump for interest
>>
Ecs blower
>>
>>15354548
in CA too so heads and cams is not an option

oh god this

we can remove it before its smogged but it would be a pain in the ass, not to mention the gestapo roadside sniffers or inspection if their suspected

in retrospect our gun laws aren't that bad

yet

could change in the next few days again sadly for the worse

>>15354537
best bet would be to keep it stock man if you plan to sell it

happened to me with a 72 charger project and an ex i was close to marrying

fuck that bitch
>>
>>15354598
>>15354548

OP here, I'm in NY

God, CA sounds like automotive hell
>>
>>15354598
Yep. Now is the time to stock up on ammo. If I weren't such an autistic sperg that could make friends outside my usual circle I'd move.

That and the weather of course
>>
>>15354598
>if you plan to sell it

Nah, I would have done that already. Making decent money and I came the conclusion that spending 10-20k on my C5 is cheaper and more fun that dropping a 10-15k downpayment on a brand new Benz (CLS550 at least) and being in debt for 5-6 years.
>>
>>15354537
What's the lowest price for a used functional car before it goes into the too shady region?
>>
>>15354921
For like a 96 camry driven by a middle aged woman

Below that I'd be skeptical
>>
CA C5 fag here. You budget 8-10k, but do you want to blow it all? The ls1 block should be in decent shape unless it was beat all to hell. Is it your weekend warrior or more of a daily? You can easily reach 450+whp with heads/cam and supporting mods. But if you get cash, fuck it drop a new motor in. Newer should be the most reliable too. Being here in CA I am most likely gonna just take it to A&A when I can afford it and call it a day. The ls1/ls6 is by no means terrible for boost, but I've been hearing 550-600 whp is the safe point for them. A new ls3 block will allow you to safely boost later down the line if you want. If it were me and money/emissions weren't an issue, I'd go ls3 block.
>>
What's the closest I can get to a Miata in Germany that has four seats?
> cheap
> small and light
> around 100 hp (maybe a bit more if the car is heavier due to more room)
> can do most maintenance / repairs yourself if you have a car lift or repair pit
Bonus points for similar styling.
>>
>>15355334
I guess I'll get a compression test and see where I'm at. I'm gonna have to get rid of the car eventually, might be years, but eventually it will happen. I don't think I wanna begin dropping so much money into it, it'd be a poorer return on investment than British based stocks. I'll probably get a nice cam and heads, already have long tubes.
>>
I only driven an SUV for a total 30 minutes and I'm going to a dealership tomorrow with my brother to look at a car that might or might not be able to buy. If they do consider financing me this what do for checking the car. Would they have me test drive or my brother?
>>
>>15354537
You can sell an LS1 for about 1500.

I'd put an ls3 in and then see about registering it in another state.
>>
File: 2016-04-22 12.22.24.jpg (670 KB, 1013x807) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-22 12.22.24.jpg
670 KB, 1013x807
>>15354537
Ls3 525 swap.
It'll have far more power then your ls1
It'll be more reliable
It'll respond better to modifications due to having better heads and more cubic inches

If in the future that isn't enough power, now that you have an ls3, you have the option to use a factory blower for an ls9.

It's not to awful hard to do, I put an ls3 top end on the 6.0 in my ls1 Trans am, the ls3 bottom end is pretty much the same externally as your ls1. Knock sensors have to be relocated and you'll need a lingenfelter converter box to let your computer read the 58x reluctor on the ls3, couple extension harnesses for the top end, but easy overall.

You have a nice platform, and can do whatever you want to it, have fun!
>>
>>15357446
You can't go wrong with a nice heads/cam package. Slap a fast on there too. With a h/c/i, you can reach 475whp and still have decent drivability. Don't forget to budget in a new clutch and master slave cylinder for stick or a tranny cooler and recommended stall of 3600 if auto.
>>
>>15354537
fix the tailight
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.