[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PSA: You take a risk as a good samaritan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: carskill.jpg (63 KB, 604x452) Image search: [Google]
carskill.jpg
63 KB, 604x452
I'm posting this as a follow up from >>15288703

> A chain reaction crash in Miami sent one Good Samaritan to the hospital after he was injured while helping the crash victims.

> According to officials, the man was helping people in one accident along Northeast 10th Court and 79th Street, when he was hit and pinned under another car.

> Other Good Samaritans jumped into action while they waited for rescue crews to arrive, using a jack to keep the vehicle from crushing the man.

> Miami Fire Rescue freed the victim and transported him to the hospital for further evaluation. He is said to be alert and conscious.

http://wsvn.com/news/local/good-samaritan-hit-by-car-while-helping-crash-victims/

TL;DR wanting to help people is normal, but people get distracted following a car crash and you are putting yourself at risk when you stop to help.

First, call 911 to report it (be very accurate when you report where you are, such as "northbound" or "right hand shoulder" etc)

If you do stop, leave injured people in their car unless it is on fire. They're safer inside and restrained than standing in the roadway. Put their car in park and turn it off.

I do this for a living (Fire-Fighter/Paramedic)
>>
>Good Samaritans this
>Good Samaritans that

Fuck's sake, get a thesaurus.
>>
How do you like paramedic work? I'm a senior in uni and thinking about getting my paramedic cert before I apply to med school. Looking to do my residency in emergency medicine anyway so I figure it's probably worth it to learn the ins and outs of pre-hospital care.
>>
>>15307321

I do not recommend paramedic work without having another plan in mind, now having said that, I highly recommend it, its perfect for medical students. The type of work you do will vary on your local jurisdiction (where I work, you need to be certified fire fighter to handle the 911 calls, the people who aren't dual certified either work for a private ambulance that does the bullshit inter facility transfers or you go work for an emergency room). Even if you end up doing inter facility, I still recommend doing it because paramedic school will teach you a lot about acute prehospital care, and inter facility transport will teach you a lot about geriatrics and chronic conditions.

if you don't already know, bear in mind the following:

> EMS is not a career
> EMS is low paying
> EMTs and Paramedics who don't plan on doing anything else (like fire fighting or becoming a doctor) tend to be underachievers and weirdos
> EMS "managers" and "supervisors" typically got their promotions through nepotism instead of competency. These people are insufferable because they've hit a dead end in life and want to take it out on you.
> it is easy to get fat because you'll probably stuck in your ambulance all day and have to eat fast food or bring lunch from home
>>
>>15306960
Shut the fuck up you autistic EMT-B.
>>
>>15307451

EMT-P

get it right
>>
>>15307456
You're still exactly like every EMT in training still though.

>le i save lives listen to me
>here's some generic information that everyone already knows except braindead normies

There's a reason a manager at mcdonalds makes as much as EMTs. I'll stop to help someone if I fucking feel like it.
>>
File: 1464309806757.jpg (92 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1464309806757.jpg
92 KB, 720x960
>>15307461

> You're still exactly like every EMT in training still though.

Did you read the archived thread? did you read the article I posted?

> There's a reason a manager at mcdonalds makes as much as EMTs. I'll stop to help someone if I fucking feel like it.

(You) do you, boo!
>>
>>15306960
I know someone who's going into paramedic work. I think he just wants to drive the big ambulances with the lights and the sirens at ridiculous speeds.
He can't stand the sight of blood.
I don't think he's gonna make it very long.

On the other hand, my uncle is a fireman, and the smell of bacon triggers him.
And one time he attended a family bbq, and couldn't stand being anywhere near the bbq itself, and made everyone promise not to take a bath with tealight candles in a plastic bath, because he'd seen what happens when you do. They apparently catch fire, and someone has to separate the molten, burning plastic from the molten, burning subcutaneous fat of the bather.
>>
>>15307608
>I know someone who's going into paramedic work. I think he just wants to drive the big ambulances with the lights and the sirens at ridiculous speeds.
>He can't stand the sight of blood.
>I don't think he's gonna make it very long.

No, he isn't. There's a lot more to it than just driving. The driving is actually a huge liability as well, if he's got a lot of tickets he may not be able to get a job (and if he does get one they may not allow him to drive because they consider it a liability and and to keep their insurance premiums low)

> On the other hand, my uncle is a fireman, and the smell of bacon triggers him.
And one time he attended a family bbq, and couldn't stand being anywhere near the bbq itself, and made everyone promise not to take a bath with tealight candles in a plastic bath, because he'd seen what happens when you do. They apparently catch fire, and someone has to separate the molten, burning plastic from the molten, burning subcutaneous fat of the bather.

Sounds horrible and I'll keep that in mind but I've never ran into that (yet). I get triggered by bathroom vent fans. If you leave them on for hours, they can generate enough friction/heat to start a fire which will go straight up and into your attic. TL;DR Don't buy cheap vent fans and don't forget to turn them off when you leave your bathroom.
>>
>>15306960
Stoping and helping is required by law where I live. Unless there are already enough people helping and you'd just get in the way.
>>
I'm just going to say this.

If you don't stop for accidents, no matter what kind of excuse you make up, even if it sounds good to you, you are just an selfish asshole and a waste of space. Hell in my country the law says you have to help and not just by calling emergency number, but by actually doing whatever you can.
>>
>>15307724

> If you don't stop for accidents, no matter what kind of excuse you make up, even if it sounds good to you, you are just an selfish asshole and a waste of space. Hell in my country the law says you have to help and not just by calling emergency number, but by actually doing whatever you can.

Then do everyone a favor and sign up for first aid training and purchase some medical equipment to carry in your car OR just call, move along, and let professionals handle it. If you do anything else, you literally get in my way.
>>
>>15307430
>EMS "managers" and "supervisors" typically got their promotions through nepotism instead of competency. These people are insufferable because they've hit a dead end in life and want to take it out on you.
I know exactly what you're talking about and we're not even on the same continent
>>
File: 1465376505561.jpg (290 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1465376505561.jpg
290 KB, 1920x1080
>>15307787

kekerinos
>>
>>15307430
Thanks m80, I'll definitely be going for paramedic, sound like itll be really good for medical school especially since I want to be an ER doc.
>>
>>15307724
In america you can get sued.
In most of the civilised world, you're going to risk a bigger accident.

Unless it happens right in front of me at low speed and someone obviously needs help ASAP, there's not a lot I can do. Not without any medical or fire training beyond badges earned as a scout 15-20 years ago, and no equipment beyond a tiny-ass first aid kit and a high-vis vest that shouldn't be within a mile of an open wound.
>>
File: 0975 - YOUNFyz.jpg (48 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
0975 - YOUNFyz.jpg
48 KB, 499x499
>>15307964

Good and as an ER doc with an exposure to EMS you'll be able to better manage your local EMS system (if you decide that you want to be a medical director). I've had good medical directors who are highly involved with the system they manage, known on a first name basis, and even beg us to go out and do training with us when we practice vehicle extrication, and I've had medical directors who were only a name on a protocol book.

The physicians that I've met who have worked in other medical fields prior to being a doctor have always been more down to earth and also had a lot more respect than those who haven't,

Take everything I've said with a grain of salt, but I have worked in emergency rooms, clinics, ambulances, and fire trucks (I'm not the best paramedic out there, but I've been around).
>>
>>15308114
Appreciate the posts dude, you've definitely reinforced my decision to go all the way and get paramedic certified.
>>
First; secure your own safety, then secure the site of the accident, then secure the injured
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.