[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is it cheaper to pay Canadians to assemble pickup trucks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: 1434014690280.jpg (24 KB, 401x372) Image search: [Google]
1434014690280.jpg
24 KB, 401x372
How is it cheaper to pay Canadians to assemble pickup trucks and ship it to the US than to just pay US workers to assemble the same thing?

Unions?
Less pay?
I can understand Mexico but come on.
>>
canadians work for thanks and maple syrup
>>
>>13907327
actually chuckled
>>
There are a lot of factors that go into factory placement. It is entirely possible that it's cheaper for a car to be produced in Canada and shipped to the US than the other way around (for example, Canada's corporate tax rate is extremely low). The factory might have been purchased cheaply in a location which allows raw materials to be transported there at a lower price than taking them into the US. It might also be related to some sort of economic agreement, but I don't know which one.

Faggot NAFTA doesn't help either. But for the record the Canadian minimum wage is higher than the American one (probably closer now that the CAD is in the gutter) and there is a strong union presence as well, so idk
>>
>>13907316
Incentives.
Countries love having foreign business in them.
>>
>>13907338
Never even thought about all that shit homie.
>>
I don't think it's cheaper, since Canadian wages are typically higher than US wages.

Canadian automobile manufacturing has long been an arrangement between both countries. Auto-Pact was one, but it is long since gone. What autopact was, was that for every US car sold here, one had to be built here. Those days are done, but some manufacturing still remains. Perhaps other factors come into play, like efficiency and quality control.
>>
Basically, trade agreements have historically forced things to be made in Canada.

Zippo is a good example. They had a Canadian plant for decades, until it was no longer required under NAFTA.

I am sure that eventually we will see less and less auto assembly in both countries, until it may no longer exist at all.
>>
>>13907343
sounds like you didnt think. Period.
>>
>>13907316
Liberals thinking more regulations are a good thing.

Be disgusted not at the companies, but ourselves for allowing it to become cheaper for them to move labor out of the US.

Its cheaper for them to build things in china, pay chinese workers, build said factory in china, ship said thing out of china, and then sell it here too.
>>
>>13907378
Canadian and US manufacturing partnerships have existed long before any of us were born. It's not quite the same thing as off-shoring to China.
>>
>>13907371
That's the only way i can get through my 60 hour work week.
>>
For instance, a 1970 Chevelle sold in the US may have been assembled in Canada. There is about a 1 in 10 chance that it was. This is nothing new...
>>
Some Canadian plants have won awards for quality control, if that gives you any sense of relief...
>>
>>13907419
Right?
I'm working 60 hours a week. I now only care about 3 things
> Food
> Sleep
> My jobs
Everything else is on the back burner. But at least I get Christmas off.
>>
>>13907316
Canadian dollar is currently worthless and since Canadians already have free healthcare they also don't require a lot of benefits
>>
>>13907453
>But at least I get Christmas off.
Lucky bitch
>>
>>13907362
I think the future will be fully automated assembly, as its getting to the point where labor is too expensive and having them shipped from overseas in countries with cheaper labor, is getting more expensive as well.
>>
>>13907507
i agree but when that happens where will all those workers go? an automated future means either everyone is supported by the state or everyone is just fucked
>>
>>13907507
Then it gets outsourced to an even cheaper country. If China gets too expensive, Bangledesh it will be!

The trade pact between the US and Canada worked very well for decades. Now, with global free trade, both of our manufacturing will eventually get flushed down the toilet. Shit is global now.
>>
>>13907545
is really is sad that we can make shit on the other side of the fucking planet and ship it home cheaper then just making it here. unions have really fucked things up for the workers they are supposed to protect which comes down to greed and there's plenty of that on all sides
>>
>20 posts
>2 0
>Not a single person mentioning single payer healthcare which allows the UAW and GM/Ford/Chrysler to not have to pay the extra costs of paying for health/dental/vision for that American worker on top of legacy costs for current/future retirees in the form of lifetime healthcare and pensions.

It's why Canada and Western European countries still have a competitive manufacturing basis despite paying higher wages.
>>
>>13907527

No point in having robots make everything if no one can afford to buy it.
>>
>>13907596
We can blame the unions all we want, but even if we worked for minimum wage, we could not compete with third world labour costs...
>>
>>13907639

Someone mentioned it, dummy. >>13907461
>>
>>13907658
labour costs wouldn't compete no but unions making outrageous demands all the time is what causes a lot of factories to close in the first place
>>
>>13907545
My point was that outsourcing jobs only works when the cost of shipping those cars back home is low.

When fuel prices go up then whatever costs you saved by cheap labor there are wasted when you have pay more to ship it back.

>>13907527
When companies outsource jobs overseas they're doing the same thing though.
>>
A strong dollar.
>>
The fact of the matter is, Canada and the US have had a very close partnership. We are each others largest trading partner in $$$, believe it or not.

This has always worked for us, even though many may be unaware.

I am here to aware you.

Our quality control is good, and our wages are on par.

For every american job that is lost, we will lose some of that also. Trust me. It is well "intertwined."
>>
>>13907316
It's still better than having local industries get supported through government legislation causing prices of cars to skyrocket since they're far more expensive to build than import, but muh jobs.
>>
>>13907327
Canadians will work for beer, poutine and hockey tickets.

Meanwhile, privilaged Americans demand to work not only for beer and hamburgers, but also for football, baseball and hockey tickets.
>>
>>13907545
>Now, with global free trade, both of our manufacturing will eventually get flushed down the toilet.

that already happened, fuckhead, now a lot of manufacturing is on its way back
>>
>>13907316
Canadians get free healthcare.
GM avoids all sorts of taxes thanks to NAFTA.

It isn't about it being cheaper in Canada alone, Mexico plays a part too. It is simply GM busting unions and keeping wages stifled in USA.
>>
>>13907639
This.
But my fellow Americans are illiterate Republican morons.
>>
>>13907672
Yeah, sure buddy boy.
It had nothing to do with the CEO and executives making $4k an hour, or their salaries adding up to be a higher overhead cost than the entire production workforce...

...all while the profiteering white collar buffoons designed shit tier vehicles with abysmal reliability and fuel economy that were more expensive and utter trash compared to Japanese cars.

Greed killed the US auto industry, and that greed was entirely on the corporate side.
>>
>>13908245

Right. Sure feels great to be threatened to be locked in a cage if I don't pay for people with colds canker sores to pack waiting rooms.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.