[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Brakes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: brembo.jpg (12 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
brembo.jpg
12 KB, 225x225
Does anyone know anything about sporting/high performance brakes?

If not could you provide some websites? i'm doing a research project and am struggling to find what I am looking for.

I need to find some materials used, identify the differences between normal and high performance systems, what causes them to become insufficient/ fail.

All I need is some sites that don't make me want to smash my head off the walls.I don't want it done for me as it beats the point.

Many thanks~
>>
>>13880788
https://www.google.com.au
>>
File: FordGT.jpg (2 MB, 2896x1944) Image search: [Google]
FordGT.jpg
2 MB, 2896x1944
>>13880788
>between normal and high performance systems
well for one, most high performance brake rotors have holes in them to dissipate heat quicker
the calipers and pads are a lot bigger than a normal brake system for more gripping power against the rotor to stop the car
most of the time when people upgrade your brakes they also upgrade the lines to braided brake lines because they do not expand under pressure, which gives the pedal a firmer feel
you can even go as far as upgrading the master cylinder which i dont see done a lot but its an option
i know you wanted links and not a list but too bad
>>
Pretty good article about brakes if I remember correctly
http://www.zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm
>>
bump for this
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78wbht355R8
>>
>>13881335
>not linking the far superior /drive video
at least those guys performed tests before making bold statements
>>
>>13880847
>most high performance brake rotors have holes in them to dissipate heat quicker
No.

OP you need an engineering book, there are plenty.
www.sae.org/students/presentations/brakes.ppt
Here's something to get you started.
>>
>>13881335
This guy is shitty. He literally just googles things and spews it out later. He's right most of the time, sure, but I don't see the point to taking his word for it. Plus he's a god damned shill.
>>
>>13881346
>/drive
>superior ever
>>
>>13881361
>He literally just googles things and spews it out later.
He's an engineer. He knows stuff, he's shit at explaining it properly.
>>
>>13881377
that's not saying much, EE is shit tier
>>
>>13881390
Oh. I just assumed since I find him to be insufferable. I couldn't get more than a few seconds through any of his car reviews, also.
I avoid him like the plague.
>>
File: KPMRearBrakeKitByHarrop-2[1].jpg (68 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
KPMRearBrakeKitByHarrop-2[1].jpg
68 KB, 768x576
I have a hard on for HARROP brakes.
What they use in v8 supercar racing.
>>
>>13881403
It is pretty incredible how /drive can be worse than some guy shitting in front of a camera, I just don't know how they do it.
>>
>>13881462
you've not seen the /drive video i'm talking about?
there's a series on their channel, some really good videos.
would link but
>>
>>13880788
Mist factory brakes have rotors made of steel or iron alloys and pads with metallic or ceramic friction material. The calipers are usually limited to one or two pistons.

With performance brakes, forged rotors or ones made from a mixture of carbon and ceramic are used (usually these disks are 2 piece with a center hub and a friction disc). Pads are carboceramic or ceramic depending on the situation. Piston count for performance brakes are usually 2-6 on the front and 1-4 on the rears. At the same time, performance brakes utilize SS braided brake lines for abrasion resistance and life.

Another note: Performance brake upgrades. Most rotor and pad kits rely more on pad to increase performance. The only significant upgrade are 'big brake' kits which include both new calipers in performance spec (see Para 2) and have much larger discs. This requires larger wheels and lower profile tires which can, with correct suspension settings, provide both superior handling and stopping characteristics in wet and dry conditions.

Source: I raced late model asphalt and NHRA Pro Street for a decade and do stealth restomods now. Have restored about a dozen vehicles over the years from simple interior refreshes to rotisserie restorations.
>>
>>13881538
All of that experience is completely irrelevant to designing automotive braking systems. Too bad.
>>
>>13881359
are you dumb or trolling
you could have found out that literally almost performance rotor has holes or slots in them by simply googling "performance brake rotor"
and no im not talking F1 car rotors if thats your comeback
>>
>>13881667
Lol everyone knows drilled and slotted discs cool down faster.
>>
>>13881800
/o/ will tell you otherwise according to recent threads
>>
File: IMG_3221.jpg (203 KB, 900x672) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3221.jpg
203 KB, 900x672
>>13881830
I wonder if those people realise what the brakes on race cars actually look like lol?
Pic related is the Jack danials V8 supercars brakes.
>>
>>13880847
>dotted
slotted > dotted
>>
>>13880788
it makes a great diference.

that said, a brembo brake kit costs more than my shitbox. and for the price, i could just buy another shitbox exactly like mine and replace all the worn parts.
>>
>>13881800
Slotted won't cool down faster. They aren't "cooling slots".
>>
>>13884458
Slotted brakes do indeed cool faster. I think you are referring to drilled discs. Without the slots they are essentially a big lump of steel. No better than drums really.
>>
you dont need to know the things you're wondering to upgrade your brakes.

if you want lighter 2 piece rotors = more $
if you want lighter aluminum calipers = more $
if you want slotted or drilled = more $
if you want vented = more $

figuring out which rotors will fit on your hubs, or what hubs will fit on your car, fabricating or finding out which caliper mounts will work on your hubs is all on you. no website is gonna be able to tell you that except one specifically for your car.
>>
>>13884494
Naw. They allow gas to escape from between the pad surface and the rotor surface. Slots do nothing for cooling.
>>
>>13880788
its not something to worry about unless your car is from the 1970s
>>
>>13884507
there are less gassy pad compounds now
>>
Good pads, good vented rotor. You don't need more in 99% of situations. Solid rotor all the way, because cheaper.
Slotted for LOTS of track use, just for that little bit more fade-stability. LOTS of track use.
Drilled is pointless. Might consider investing in carbon pads and rotors with LOTS of track use.
>>
The harder the pad compound the stronger the stopping power of the brake, however upgraded pads can be weak when cold
For example, your everyday standard street pads work well when cold and warm, but degrade under heat
Semi metallic/sintered pads are weak in the cold but warm up after a few stops. They squeal a little bit and dust a little as well but provide great stopping power when hot and don't fade as fast
Full metallic/sintered pads do not work when cold, only when they've warmed up. They provide awesome power when warm but squeal extremely loudly and dust up a lot. They also wear grooves into the rotor and this can mean everytime you swap your pads you'll have to machine the rotor to reface it, however over time the rotor will be too thin and have to be replaced. As well as this they squeal very loudly.
Ceramic pads work better than full metallic in the cold I THINK, I could be wrong. Also don't wear as hard on rotors as full metallic as they contain 15% metal still, however it's copper. Extreme stopping power and the squeal is actually so high its out of human hearing range.
In order, these pads also wear longer and longer, so the street level wears out in say 1 year (I don't actually know how long it is, just for an example) whereas ceramic pads would last sat 3 years
>>
>>13884562
Now on to rotors
Solid rotors are just average, good performance and nothing special
Drilled rotors give more bite power because the surface is essentially perforated, as well as allowing less dust build up from the pads and dissipating heat/gas through the dimples
Slotted rotors are pretty much the same except for the looks really
Slotted and drilled rotors do boh of these things as well as effectively creating a vortex that sucks out heat/gas/dust
The bigger the rotor the more surface area there is to grab
As well as the caliper - the more pistons in the caliper the more stopping power and it actually evens out the wear
Hope this all helped!
>>
File: dsl-c16b.gif (18 KB, 569x474) Image search: [Google]
dsl-c16b.gif
18 KB, 569x474
>>13880788
beware some brakes only push from one side
this bends the disk slightly
>>
>>13881596
He didn't ask about designing a brake system but the differences between them the only thing I didn't answer is how they fail.
>>
>>13880788
Drum brakes are best for performance applications and touge
>>
>>13884617
What? Floating calipers have been a thing for decades and there's been no correlation to fixed vs floating calipers and warped or bent diaca.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.