[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTTDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

If it can be answered in a post or two, go ahead and ask it here. If you're lurking, try and scroll the thread, and find some unanswered questions, and see if you can't help another anon out.
>>
>>13855282
Given the same displacement, cam, compression, ignition and injection timing, bearing sizes, oiling, valve configuration, rod:sroke ratio, which engine is more fuel efficient in terms of mpg: oversquare(big bore) or undersquare(long stroke)?

Advantages of oversquare:
>less piston ring frictional losses
>less sidewall thrust
>less windage losses
>smaller valvetrain with less friction losses

Advantages of undersquare engines:
>more torque thanks to longer crank arm leverage
>less heat transfer into piston = more energy transfer into crankshaft
>less crankshaft bearing friction

There's arguments for either side. Which one would be best?
Also, less heat transfer into the piston would mean you could possible bump up compression ratio up a fraction of a point on an undersquare engine. Would this change anything?
>>
>>13855314
The most efficient engine in the world right now, a marine Wartsila r96-whatever, is ridiculously undersquare, with the bore being almost ten times lower than stroke. If efficiency was the only consideration, and it was, then there is a reason it's so jesuschrist undersquare
>>
File: 1dautox.jpg (54 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1dautox.jpg
54 KB, 640x480
whats a great car for autox?
something that doesn't need a huge huge list of mods to do well. decent out of the box, can be had for less than 14 grand, and seriously competitive.
>>
>>13855528
Miata? Mr2? Gixxer?
>>
>>13855314
the torque will be the same, maybe a bit more for oversqaure because of the advantages you mentioned.
the advantages for undersquare are mostly thermodynamic but don't apply in your example because of the caveats you gave.
the undersquare advantages you mentioned are mostly nonsense. was it a trick question?

>>13855528
>wanting to be competitive in no name car park cone skids
>>
File: chevy cobalt ss turbo.jpg (3 MB, 4368x2912) Image search: [Google]
chevy cobalt ss turbo.jpg
3 MB, 4368x2912
>>13855528
>>
File: grass.jpg (40 KB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
grass.jpg
40 KB, 320x213
>>13855554
cone fags polluting my search results
reeeeeeeee
>>
>>13855554
why would someone not want to be a competitive person?
>>
>>13855676
The point of auto cross is to improve your driving skills, not decimate camry drivers with your brabham bt52
>>
File: peoria autox.jpg (117 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
peoria autox.jpg
117 KB, 720x540
>>13855686
we have different eyes on what the point is.
i just want a car thats competitive. do i want to compete at a national level? maybe if it works out.
>>
>>13855698
autocross is not a real motorsport
>>
got a toyota V8 (1UZ)

what should I put it in
>>
>>13855818
MG GT
>>
So when you press on the accelerator, the throttle body opens up and the engine naturally sucks in more air via the induction phase and that makes the pistons move faster which in turn boost the RPM of the engine?

Second question, when the car accelerates in first gear, the engine for example revs to 4000 RPM then it changes to second gear and it revs up to 4000 RPM and so on. The engine RPM is always the same and the only thing that changes is the gearing? So 4000 RPM in first gear is the same as 4000 RPM in third?

Sorry if I'm retarded.
>>
>>13855825
more air, mean more fuel
more fuel, bigger explosion
that makes more speed.
your second question is nonsensical so ill ignore it
>>
Would converting a bus to electric/hybrid gasoline be feasible?
I want to drive around 'Murica.
>>
>>13855840
why not just use a car?
>>
>>13855840
Anything is doable.
Not on the cash you have though.
>>
>>13855845
Where does 25 grand get me?
>>
>>13855868
A bus, probably.

With the 25k, I'd just buy a nice van and spend the rest on gasoline for the trip. If you could find an engine suitably sized for your bus, you'd still need a fuck ton of fabrication done to get it in and hooked up.
>>
>>13855818
An R1
>>
>>13856054
v8 yamaha r1?
>>
>>13856076
Probably won't fit. A cruiser frame would be better suited for this madness
>>
>>13856096
okay. but I want a car, and FR layout. and cheap
>>
>>13856108
Miata it is then
>>
>>13856112
Rather have a MG than a Miata desu.
Gimme something less feminine.
Also it will use either a 350Z or BMW gearbox.
>>
>>13856124
>MG is not feminine
Since when?
>>
>>13856162
compared to a miata it's about as feminine as serena williams
>>
>>13855840
Only if you buy a trolley bus and stick a generator in it.
>>
File: beemer.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
beemer.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Can I be Takumi if I only have a 316?
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (49 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
49 KB, 1280x720
1UZ in 70 series Supra or 70 series Landcruiser
>>
File: 1969MGBGT_02_700.jpg (68 KB, 700x465) Image search: [Google]
1969MGBGT_02_700.jpg
68 KB, 700x465
>>13856162
at least the GT has an ass
>>
>>13857338
316? god i thought the 318 was disgusting.
>>
I want to buy like a 30's chevy, 33' 34 for example, as a slight restomod project

where would be the best, cheapest place to look online?

craigslist doesnt have anything suitable and the only real bargain on there, they want the equivalent of late sixties mopar which is WAY out of my price range
>>
Can I have some advice please?

I'm currently looking at a Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo, I will lease for 2 years which will cost around £7k and then return the car.

It's mainly for work, I drive 60 miles a day so I am interested in the mpg which is supposedly around 80 for this one.

What do you reckon? Are Skoda's good?
>>
File: Dandy-Tanaka-JZA70-Supra[1].jpg (293 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
Dandy-Tanaka-JZA70-Supra[1].jpg
293 KB, 2048x1365
>>13857349
>1UZ in 70 series Supra or 70 series Landcruiser
well, which one /o/?
>>
>>13857808
you can get a vw up or skoda citigo for half that
>>
File: 00.png (265 KB, 503x671) Image search: [Google]
00.png
265 KB, 503x671
So my sister has a 2004 dodge neon that is broken.

It is in Utah, I live in Seattle. 1000miles

the shop she took it to said that it needs a new head gasket and no compression on cylinder 4.

the interior and body are in excellent condition and has 145,000miles

a salvage yard here has offered $175

Should I pay her the $175 and drive it back to Seattle and fix it myself? I can do the work myself, have tools and have rebuilt a Prius and a Jeep, just not sure if you can drive that far in that condition.

>pic related, what the shop said was wrong when she first brought it in

it now also needs a new battery because she let it sit with a dead battery for the last three months because she just thought it died, but once I put jumper cables on it magically it came back to life OMG.jpg

>once cables are removed it insta dies

also needs a new IAC because it idles fine when cold but just dies once warmed up
>>
>>13858666
Seriously put that thing in the junk yard.
>>
Aren't manuals only justified if you live in a place with little traffic?
>>
>>13858971
Manuals are justified whenever the person who owns the cars wants a manual. Its a personal preference ultimately. Like different brands for touchscreen phones. They are all a little different but in the end they all do the same damn thing
>>
>>13859000
but aren't they an even bigger bitch to drive in traffic?
>>
>>13858666
>>13858672

so just send it off to be parted out? not worth fixin?
>>
File: 1392432721451.jpg (46 KB, 737x758) Image search: [Google]
1392432721451.jpg
46 KB, 737x758
How difficult is it to replace a valve cover gasket?

I've changed my own oil and spark plugs before. Is that adequate technical experience?
>>
>>13859475
can you undo some bolts? because thats literally all you do, probably the simplest thing ever, dont even need to follow torque specs
>>
>>13859493

Isn't there some other shit you have to take off? Like the solenoid and some wiring?
>>
>>13858666
How much free time do you have or how much do you think your time is worth? No compression in a cylinder means pulling a piston to replace rings at the very least. Much more work if you have to hone or mill the block/head because of overheating. This isn't a quick fix it job.
>>
>>13859493

watch a youtube video for an idea of whats involved

>bonus points if you watch one for your car
>>
>>13857659
Junkyard
>>13859475
Depends how much shit is in the way. Other than that is easy as fuck
> (remove shit in the way)
> remove bolts
> replace gasket
> bolt back up in a criss-cross pattern
> (Put shit back)
>>
>>13859520

would it make the drive?

>currently am a NEET so my time is cheap
>>
>>13859539
probably not, and in the meantime while you're killing it it'll be a pig and it'll begin to drive even shittier because the engine is becoming more fucked as you drive. Its not worth it
>>
>>13859539
I wouldn't want to drive from Utah to Seattle in a leaky/bad headgasket, 3 cylinder, bad battery and maybe alternator Dodge Neon.

But it's up to you. Take a camera and make a shitty youtube series about it or something. Just remember to take I-5 back into Washington because that car would be absolute death if you take it through the mountain pass via I-90 during this winter.
>>
>>13859539
Rent something like this you nigger.
> inb4 I'm a kek with no truck access
>>
File: th.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>>13859567
Fucking shit senpai desu baka
>>
I just traded my 06 manual Ford Fusion for a 07 automatic Honda Accord with the v6. Did I fuck up?
>>
>>13859581
Hahahahahahahhahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>13859565

plan was to get to Ellensburg and have AAA tow me the last 90 miles. I was worried about Snoqualmie Pass too.

>>13859567

I have a Jeep that could easily tow it but it is in Seattle and I am in Utah right now... would have to drive home, then back, and fuck that...
>>
I have a 2002 Ford Focus with manual transmission, when I shift into second gear sometimes it shakes pretty intensely, it's especially noticeable when turning and shifting into 2nd. I'm going to get it looked at, but what should I expect so if I know the mechanic knows their stuff?
>>
>>13859014
>to drive manual you need to put your right hand and left leg to work
>it sucks because you need to use your right hand and left foot

>>13859895
Stop slamshifting
>>
>>13860342
I'm assuming that means I'm shifting with too much force on the stick? So I should be more gentle when I shift? I've never really thought about it but I guess I do shift quick and hard. I tried typing this without it sounding like a sexual innuendo but I failed.
>>
>>13860390
Revmatch/double clutch, also does this only happen when your car is cold?
>>
>>13860398
The 2002 Focus doesn't have an RPM gauge, I'd imagine that would make revmatching pretty difficult. And no, it mainly happens a few minutes after the car has been going around, temperature doesn't seem to affect it.
>>
>>13860422
Why does everyone say revmatching is difficult? It really isn't....and so it makes that noise after you've reached operating temprature? It could mean your tranny is fucked, your diff is acting up, or i don't know desu baka senpai im sorry I'm tired
>>
>>13860430
It might not be, I'm just scared to try new things. Is revmatching better for the car in the long run? Yeah based on what I've read it looks like the tranny might just be done, which is unfortunate but I'm a poor fucker who can't afford even a used car so I'll just have to bite the bullet and replace it. Thanks for throwing ideas out there though, I appreciate it.
>>
>>13860441
It's because you no describe good, it shakes ONLY in gear? At a certain speed? Or at a certain RPM?
Certain gear means gear is fucked. Certain speed means CV/Ujoints are fucked (i know this one first hand, car would shake violently at 30 to 40MPH and woudl die down before and after that range, just ended up being a u joint.) Or does it shake at certain RPMs? Certain RPMS can be motor mounts, and or fucked flywheel.
>>
>>13860460
Right it won't shake in neutral or in any gear after 2. I don't think it's a certain speed because I can slow down in 2nd gear to between 5-10mph and it won't shake, it only shakes getting into gear. A certain RPM is an interesting thought, I wouldn't know since I don't have a gauge but I tend to lay on the gas somewhat hard until the gear catches, so maybe that's a possibility. So when I go in I'll ask them to check out the CV/Ujoints just to be sure as well as let them know it might be related to the RPM in second gear, maybe they can drive it around and have an idea of what the issue might be. Thanks for the suggestions, it's given me a lot of food for thought.
>>
>>13860490
If it never shakes in neutral your joints should be alright. If it shakes at certain RPMs its motor related, certain gears, its drive train related.most likely the tranny, and oh Revmatching saves your synchros, synchros are what lets the gears go in smoothly and at different speeds, without them you'd HAVE to revmatch to get it in gear. I usually revmatch, ESPECIALLY in lower gears (also stops/reduces that sputter a bit [that jerk/jolt when you down shift and let go of the clutch quickly] doible clutching also saves your poor little synchros that work really hard)
>>
what wheels are fitted to this MR2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1996-TOYOTA-MR2-2-0L-Turbo-GT-S-/161882281494
>>
>>13860511
Good to know, I'll have them check out the drive train too. Ah that makes sense, I usually find myself double clutching pretty frequently, I like going from neutral to whichever gear is best for what speed I'm going, so I'll definitely keep that up. Maybe once I get my car checked out I'll look into revmatching.
>>
>>13855282
>bought a new globe for headlights
>socket takes a globe with 2 prongs, there is a wire connected to each input.
>the one i bought only has one prong, the dead one has two.
>what will happen if i plug in the new one prong globe
>the socket is really corroded on one side which matched the old dead 2 prong globe, when i switched the old globe the opposite way it the headlight worked.
this leads me to believe that a globe can be powered from one socket, or would it be unwise to plug in a single prong globe into a double socket. what with electricity, charges etc.
im very uncertain.
>>
>>13860731
the fellow gave me a h1 which is one prong, i was meant to have a h7 which is two prong
for frick sake :((
>>
So I'm eventually going to change my brake pads and rotors to new ones to improve my cars braking and have 2 stupid questions about brake calipers:

Are there any performance gains to be gained from changing my brake calipers to new ones if there is nothing wrong with the existing ones?

If I change my brake rotors to vented ones (that are thicker than the ones I have now) do I need to get new brake calipers because of this or not?
>>
Anyone have an idea what this might be:

With low revvs (say up to 1300rpm), accelerating creates a sort of slip, without the revs rising (so I'm inclined to say it's not the clutch).
I do know that my drive-shaft and CV joints are loose (worn) and bought replacements, but planned to do that after winter. Could it be that the CV joints are slipping in the diff? Or even the diff being fucked? Flex disk?
This effect doesn't happen at any higher revs, say upwards of 1500.
I would like to avoid having to take apart half the underside to inspect, since that would already be half the job of changing done....and it's fuckin' cold.
>>
>>13857659
Hemmings Motor news - all old cars but nothing from the 30s is going to be really cheap
>>
>>13859510
it would help if we actually knew what kind of car your working on. some are an absolute nightmare and others are literally 4 bolts to remove.
>>
>>13859581
not at all.........more reliable, cheaper to maintain
>>
>>13860751
if the new calipers have more contact area, yes

if your current calipers arent wide enough you need wider calipers or you need caliper spacers or you can shave the brake pads. last one obviously isn't recommended.
>>
>>13860751
changing pads and rotors will not improve performance unless the old ones are worn out.
there's nothing to be gained from changing calipers unless they're frozen or leaking
thicker rotors will require new calipers and vented rotors offer no performance help unless your racing. just put high quality stock replacement pads and rotors, most aftermarket "performance" drilled/slotted rotors are shit
>>
>>13860998
if the revs arent rising nothing is slipping..
>>
>>13860998
cv joints/diff/flex disc will not cause a slip, that's internal trans problem or loss of engine power
>>
>>13859895
could be diff locking/binding up under torque.
could be clutch chatter under torque.
could be something wrong specifically with second gear if you can't get it to reproduce in any other gear.

impossible to tell really with out driving it and figuring out what "shake" is to you.
>>
>>13855282
Anyone know headunits? I have a Sony DSX-A40UI that claims no support when I connect my Android phone via USB, though the box and manual claim Android compability.
>>
Mazda's 1.5 liter gas engines, old one in BJ 323F and new SkyActive one in new 3 whine nicely whereas the same new one in MX-5 doesn't whine. Is it because muffler/exhaust difference? I just love the whine.
>>
File: hardtop.jpg (129 KB, 1136x852) Image search: [Google]
hardtop.jpg
129 KB, 1136x852
Question of the people that own Miats: How much can you fit on the parcel shelf? Two backpacks side by side? One large hiking backpack sideways? And what's the best way to load it, top down, top halfway up or top up and through the gap between the seats?

Bonus points: What about after installing a roll bar? Does it compromise a lot of space?

Pic semi related, I'm talking about soft tops but the hard top shows the parcel shelf better.
>>
>>13862198
get a real car faggot is the answer
>>
Hey, guys.

I drive a 2001 V70 and I got a harsh low idle when I'm in drive. It just started this morning, so I am a little worried as to whether or not it's new.

Also, the car shoots up in RPM when I started it up.

Any advice?
>>
>>13862222
I have a practical car right now, it's to enjoyable driving what a chastity cage is to sex. This econobox is not going to stay.
>>
>>13861377
Did you try switching USB settings on your phone between MTP and mass memory mode?
Is screen unlocked when you plug the cable in?
Is this 2013+ Android phone (some still use older bricks, that's why I ask you)?
>>13862222
Your meme is too funny, stop.
>>13862198
>One large hiking backpack sideways?
Whoa, I don't think so. I've never been in an MX-5 but remember you have to brake sometimes and I believe you're not in ISIS to love rockets.
>>
>>13862198

Get a trunk rack and a bunch of bungie cables.
>>
>>13861414
bump
>>
Ive been meaning to cleany carb for a while, but im mot sure if ill have the time to take it off and clean it. Would spraying and scrubbing it work good if i dont remove it?
>>
>>13862287
Mass memory doesn't exist on Android anymore, sadly.

It's a Galaxy Alpha, so it's from late 2014.

Doesn't work with screen unlocked either.

At this point I'll probably just use it with minijack instead.
>>
>>13862709
>Mass memory doesn't exist on Android anymore, sadly.
I have it Z1C and probably had it on S5, too.
The thing may use that MTP (protocol) too fresh to be recognizable by your radio unit. Well, shit.
>>
>>13862743
Yeah, I think you're right on the protocol being too fresh for the headunit. I'll just get a minijack cable and use the USB port for charging only then. Thanks anyways.
>>
>>13862242
Bump for advice.
>>
I want a stereo with integrated bluetooth for muh free hands calls and wireless phone music, maybe a USB slot.
I can either get an original nii-san stereo, that fits on my car, plug and play, with all those features, or, say 370 USD (bear with me, Im just dividing the real price in my shitty ass currency by 10) OR I can get an aftermarket, 1 or 2 DIN (stock stereo is 2 DIN) with all them features for pretty much half, if a bit more, of the agency stereo.

Whats the better option here? Is the original stereo really worth it? Can you recommend me any aftermarket stereo brand? I wouldnt be upgrading the speakers, just yet.
>>
>>13862242
>shoots up in RPM when I started it up
How high? Isn't it just colder outside already (dunno where you live)?
Does it take same amount of kilometers/time to get coolant warm as indicated as before?
>harsh low idle
It's just not my shitbox so I expect it be equipped with tachometer. What RPMs now, what before? Is it 100 drop or are we diving really low? I5 engines are imbalanced and I bet you may feel vibrations quite early (not to say all the time).
>>
>>13863000
>with all those features, or, say 370 USD
should read
>with all those features, FOR, say 370 USD

Also chek em.
>>
>>13862242
I've just read "in drive".
When was the last tranny oil change, btw?
>>
Can i get some opinions on the Jaguar XJS?

My brain says no, but my dick says yes
>>
>>13863003
It was pushing up to 3x or 4x until I shifted into reverse.

>What RPMs now, what before?
Same RPM, it's just shaking really hard.

>>13863013
I changed the transmission fluid during the summer.

I'm assuming the issue lies with my spark plugs.
>>
My battery light just came on, but it's really dim, so what I'm assuming is the alternator is giving some current, but not enough to sustain the battery. I've cleaned and reattached all wires, checked continuity between all relevant wires, as well as the alternator fuse, no problems with any of those.

Would this be a mechanical fault in the alternator itself, or would this be because the voltage regulator is failing?
>>
Sometimes while driving, if I have the fan on, just the fan not heat or cold air, I can smell coolant

What could this be?
>>
File: 323.png (497 KB, 1189x703) Image search: [Google]
323.png
497 KB, 1189x703
Buy this?
first car
>>
>>13863195
Could be the heater core.
>>
>>13863242
na, theres about a million 323's in straya for 400 bucks a pop

nothing special, and for 3500 you're getting ripped
>>
>>13863347

that doesn't mean anything to me
this is the only 323 for sale
>>
about to put on some general altimax arctics. the internet seems to think it is OK to leave them on after the winter. from what i can tell the worst thing that would happen to them after winter would be wearing faster than all season tires. theyre cheap enough that i dont care. is there any other downside to using them after winter ends?
>>
Have an offer to trade my Altezza for an FC RX-7 Turbo II that has a rebuilt engine with 12,000k's on it plus $2k cash. Thoughts?
>>
File: 1425272371915.jpg (34 KB, 691x476) Image search: [Google]
1425272371915.jpg
34 KB, 691x476
>>13864166
>>
>>13863286
So would it be one of the hoses? Considering it happens when I don't have the heater on
>>
File: 43643642.jpg (9 KB, 204x200) Image search: [Google]
43643642.jpg
9 KB, 204x200
>>13863852

Faster wear
Less grip
More fuel usage
Tires may take damage because of the heat making the rubber too soft, which in return may cause sipes to tear and similar

There is literally no point doing this. You don't save anything. Your tires will wear out at an abnormal rate for no benefit whatsoever, and you'll just have to spend more money on tires and gas than you would just by having two proper sets of tires for summer and winter
>>
>Questions that don't deserve their own thread
>QTTDTOT

gr8 job OP

>>13863000
Please to help
>>
>>13864323
Honestly I would buy the cheapest one that works, sound quality is all relative anyway
>>
Can I buy -any- used stereo off ebay and get it to work in my car? I don't really understand how wires and shit works but I could google it. Just asking to see if it's possible. Currently I've got no stereo at all so anything is an improvement.
>>
File: IMG_2865.jpg (268 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2865.jpg
268 KB, 1600x1067
>>13855528
older cooper s
>>
>>13863195
is there coolant on the floor in the passenger foot well? coolant fog on the inside of the windshield?
>>
>>13863184
take the whip to vatozone or whatever, have them test the battery and charging system for free
>>
>>13864838
>Can i stereo?
yes, if it's aftermarket it will almost certainly work in your vehicle. OE radios usually don't have wiring diagrams on them so they're easy to put into the same vehicles but harder to figure out how they can be wired into other vehicles; they are usually terrible/old/underpowered anyway

1) google ur vehicle, find out which colored wires do what/go where
2) hook up indicated wires to radio directly or use an aftermarket harness (makes connection/disconnection easier in future)
3) ????
4) Profit
>>
>>13864214
coolant flow through the heater core is not affected by the position of your hvac controls
>>
File: IMG_20151114_184734.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151114_184734.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
What are the two things I'm touching with my fingers
>>
>>13865170
brake fluid reservoir and bias valve
>>
File: 143769722592.jpg (45 KB, 450x352) Image search: [Google]
143769722592.jpg
45 KB, 450x352
>>13865170
Looks like a brake master cylinder resivoir (right) and a really janky looking thing that may be related to a clutch master cylinder.

>no make/model/year so i can find out why u have a faucet handle in your engine bay
>>
>>13865170
well it sure as hell ain't fingernail clippers.
>>
File: IMG_20151111_163502.jpg (668 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151111_163502.jpg
668 KB, 3264x2448
>>13865206
>>13865192
>>13865236

1997 Mazda Miata. Thanks guys.
>>
>>13855825
1: When you press the accelerator, the carb/injectors allow more fuel and air into your intake manifold. This increases the engine rpm. The reason for the increase is more access to air and fuel. With more available, it can cycle faster.

2: Yes, the change is the vehicles inertia(objects in motion tend to stay in motion). While its inertia on earth is of course is affected by the air, road, and any other friction points in the vehicles construction, it still wants to stay moving. So when you accelerate from a dead stop, it takes more force to move than when you are already moving. When you are moving 40km/h and you shift into 2nd gear, the engine can apply its force with a greater mechanical advantage due to the fact that the vehicle is already charged with kinetic energy. Does that make sense?
>>
>>13865305
have you got abs? if so that'll be an aftermarket bias valve. or atleast on the english models they dont have that
>>
what is the best bmw forum /o/?
>>
Does it matter what oil I put in my car as long as it's correct viscosity and not cheap off brand oil?
>>
>>13867530
As long as it's engine oil and has the correct specs as required by the manufacturer, not really, no
>>
>>13867530
Correct. Even cheap off brand oil is fine, as an emergency solution. It's not as if they put pollutants in there.
>>
How bad of an idea. Would it be to get a total project car. With not a ton of wrenching experience
(Can change oil,sparkplugs,wires,tires etc )
>no bully. Am still young

Project needs an engine and tranny. But all else should be mostly set up

I can get assistance from someone with years of wrenching experience. Who worked as a mechanic for year. And generally knows everything

Second question
How creative can you be with putting an engine and tranny in a project car, I doubt I'd be able to find an original motor. For said car. For cheap. But could I just throw any old veyate in it ? Granted there's room?
>>
>>13857338
Having anything lower than 325
>>
>>13857338
weld the diff
>>
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 640x1136
>first snow fall
>driving car in winter first time ever
>alls going well
>accident on side of the road
>have to go over the yellow line
>have to slow down to like 30-50ish (trying to keep all details)
>yellow line has about half a foot of snow and slush mounded around it
>engine starts sputtering
>assume it picked up some moisture
>it can't drive or rev much but it can idle
>coast to stop
>engine dies when I stop
>need to get home and getting towed isn't really an option right now
>decide to try turning it over
>it will fire but won't hold the idle
>give it just enough gas to stay alive
>it runs for 5 seconds until it sounds like someone shot a rifle in the passenger seat
>ohshittheregoestheblock.jpg
>hear it idle healthy after but very loud
>inspect exhaust
>the muffler literally exploded (pic related)
>check engine
>looks like some coolant was lost somewhere on the drive, but that's pretty common for this car
>it drives pretty nice now
>little choppy on take off
>rides good until I get to a hill
>hill is slushy a bit and wet
>starts to sputter but catches itself when I downshift and drives normal
>drives normal at the top of the hill
>drive it on a back road with 2 or 3 inches of snow and it doesn't sputter at all

My thoughts is that moisture isn't getting into the intake, but not sure if it could be something else. Any ideas guys?
>>
>>13868614
Moisture is getting into the intake*****
>>
>>13868614
Also I took it off the hanger before I took the picture to see if I could move it around so jagged metal wasn't right beside the wheel. So the exhaust wasn't being dragged in snow or anything
>>
>>13865037
>fast driving girls
>girls

That's a man.
>>
File: radio.png (2 MB, 1280x627) Image search: [Google]
radio.png
2 MB, 1280x627
How do I make pic related work?

I know nothing about wiring.
>>
I run R17/40/265s all around my car.
But I started racing recently, and I wanted to get wider tires just for the back.

What size would I need to run as wide as 10 inch rim can hold in the back and have the same or close enough entire wheel size as the front?

I see a lot of racecar dudes running smaller diameter wheels in the back, and I didn't know what size I'd need.
>>
>>13862242 Reporting in

I went to check the tranny fluid and it was low. I guess I missed when I put the fluid in and thought none of it.

It's common with 70's because the hole to pour it into is so fucking deep in the engine, so you're having considerable trouble with a funnel, too.

I'm also going to be looking at my spark plugs to see if I want to change them for good measure.

As it stands now, the fluids have been rechecked and everything works fine now.
>>
>>13871010
Get a wiring diagram from the internet, match up the correct wires. You're going to need to lose the connectors on one side or the other, strip the insulation off the side you cut the connectors off of, insert bare wire into other connector, crimp. If you don't have a crimper, either buy one, or use vice grips.
>>
>>13871085
Can I just connect the same colors together or do I actually have to google both the radio and car to see what color is what?
>>
>>13871046
You're better off asking a tire shop.

>>13871097
I looked at it again. Yeah, looks like that should work in your case. But the big yellow one goes to the red one on the car.
>>
File: this kind of wire stripper.jpg (122 KB, 1500x905) Image search: [Google]
this kind of wire stripper.jpg
122 KB, 1500x905
>>13871010
what model is your ratio ?
some have wiring bundles available that are made to plug strait into the cars existing loom

I see you have some rca ports and cd changer din
that gives you plenty of options for aux line in and subwoffer line out

>>13871085
stripping wire can be done with scissors but it saves time to have a stripper

some have a notch built in that allows for crimping http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-g/22232-5883333.jpg
>>
How often am I supposed to put air in my tires
>>
>>13871126
>stripping wire

I really don't know why you replied that to me, I know how to strip a wire. I use a lighter and my thumbnail. And yes, I do that at work as a technician.
>>
>>13871132
Every time they're low?

Also, best to check them at every oil change.
>>
>>13865037
>>13868910
>raa badge on a bmw mini
so much cancer in one photo
>>
What's the best way to learn how to drive stick? The only car I could learn it on would be the one I wind up buying, but I don't wanna risk fucking up the gearbox trying to figure it out.
>>
>>13868614
Check the exhaust pipe after the muffler, you may find something interesting in it.
>>
>>13871393

Learn off what you're buying. You already know it's better, so it's the extra effort to learn it.
Just be fucking EASY ON IT.

Be as soft as you possibly can and drive where it's not populated at first.

Otherwise, watch more youtube videos about it.
More. And. More.
>>
>>13855442
1 example of marine tech =/= a general rule of thumb for automotive application.

>>13855554
>the torque will be the same
No. Torque = force * arm. Since the arm(crankshaft) is longer, undersquare engines will have more torque. Duh.
>the undersquare advantages you mentioned are mostly nonsense. was it a trick question?
Wat.
>>
>>13871811
>undersquare engines will have more torque.
I love this meem
>>
>>13855818
RWD Starlet. Don't forget the wheelie bars.

>>13856162
>Since when?
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a7381/avoidable-contact-of-midgets-and-men/
tl;dr it breaks down.

>>13857659
You're better off looking at Fords, they tend to be a bit cheaper. Also, consider building a fiberglass one from the ground up (not a restomod, but still)

>>13860525
I've looked for an hour and a half - but I can't find them. Anybody care to help? Looks kinda like an AXE EX24 if you squint real hard and imagine it's gunmetal grey, but the size would be off. Stance SC-6 kinda looks the same, but they're concave, and at least 19''.

>>13861414
Whine is usually either turbo or gears meshing. Given that the 323 and new 3 are both FWD and the MX-5 is RWD, they're either muffling the whine better(probably not), but I suspect it's the FWD transaxle that's creating that whine.
Keep in mind, the old BJ had an MZR engine whereas the 3 and 2016 MX-5 both use a Skyactiv 1.5.

>>13862478
The inside needs cleaning, not the outside.

>>13863024
Either save money so your dick doesn't get you broke, or listen to your brain. Alternatively, swap in a 2JZ. Or an SBC. Or a BBC. Or anything that doesn't involve the Dark Lord Lucas.

>>13864323
>gr8 job OP
Yeah, sorry, made that mistake last time too.

>>13865956
bimmerfest mostly.

>>13868264
If you've got disposable income, go for it.

What engine you can put in there depends on the chassis (RWD or FWD), and how much room there is.

>>13871033
I'd go for a 295/35 on a 17x10 inch wheel. http://www.wheel-size.com/calc/
>>
>>13868614
Sometimes water can get into your spark plugs and wires (ignition coils) used to happen to my moms toyota. Water used to seep into the ignition coils and make the car misfire like crazy, just dry it out should be gud, or water in intake lmaoing
>>
File: chug chug chug.jpg (148 KB, 1140x643) Image search: [Google]
chug chug chug.jpg
148 KB, 1140x643
>>13871811
is that torque not wasted a little on horizontal thrust due to the crank arm offset

I do know the concept of witch you speak
long stroke combined with short gears lets some old cars to take off in 3rd
>>
>>13871141
>at every oil change
>which is usually once or less a year

Nigga u what
>>
anyone here WITTDTJR? (witadijer)?
>>
>>13858013
depends where you live and what you do. I own the a70 supra and as long as you do your research and check the car thoroughly before buying (headgasket, rust) its a great cruzer
>>
>>13872268
thing is they're not that cheap and quite heavy. the 1UZ lacks the torque of a turbo motor
>>
Can't make a thread because phone is shit. Mechanical issue. 1998 Volvo S90.

I hear hissing from behind the dash. Heater core? Oil line? AC? Power steering seems to work.
>>
>>13872441
Sounds like AC.
>>
2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Base 2dr Coupe

Are there any hilariously common problems with these cars in Manuals?

Only problem I can find with it is that Carfax says it's not inspected. I think I had the VIN ran and it was fine along with the carfax.
>>
>>13871132

You should probably check your tires twice a month, and once a week in winter.

Your tires will have a recommended pressure based on their size and make. In winter, it's easier to go under due to rapid temperature changes.
>>
File: You dense motherfucker.jpg (54 KB, 678x495) Image search: [Google]
You dense motherfucker.jpg
54 KB, 678x495
>>13871811
lmao stfu senpai
>>
How bad is it going to bite me in the ass if I forgot to put anti seize on my spark plugs?
>>
>>13872730

Is that something that usually happens?

I don't remember ever dealing with anti-seize and I'm 25.
>>
>>13859581
No. The V6 Accords are very powerful, smooth, and dare I say fun to drive. If you put your foot down, you're gone. Only downside is a slushbox that downshifts more jerkily than my grandma
>>
>>13860422
Do people actually memorize the points on the tach where the revs match up? Fuck mate, just do it by sound/feel
>>
I just changed my rear differential fluid but I couldn't get the plugs screwed all the way back in. When I found them, they were really in there. But since I don't have a lift and my ebrakes are on back tires I couldn't jack it up, so I just crawled underneath the car not lifted at all. I managed to get the plugs back on but you can still see one or two threads that I couldn't get threaded in because of how little space I had under the car to work with.

tl;dr I threaded in my rear diff plugs only 85%, will I be okay?
>>
>>13872996
>Learn by tach in a week
>Learn by feel a week later

It's a learning process, Anon.
>>
I want to repaint my car but my car wont last long enough to actually deserve a quality paintjob. What's the cheapest spraycan solution that'll look decent? Also how to deal with rust before painting? (Never painted or done any exterior bodywork before)
>>
hey /o/ I was wondering if i can switch my two front directional tires with eachother so the worn contact patch thats currently on the side becomes the outside
>>
>>13872508
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Cavalier/2004/
http://www.chevroletproblems.com/Cavalier/
Now get yoursellf a spoon so I don't have to feed you anymore.

>>13872730
Worst case scenario, you're looking at head removal. Fortunately, you'll usually get them out fine - it's just that a few dollars in antiseize can help fix the 1% chance of them being a bitch to get out.

>>13873206
Put chocks on the front wheels, put the jackstand under the diff(with a piece of mood between the two to prevent scrapes and such), jack it up, put jackstands under the jack points left and right, remove the jack, enjoy the free access to your diff. Alternatively, find some ramps.

>>13873221
>What's the cheapest spraycan solution that'll look decent?
Flat black. As in, the cheap spraycan stuff. You could paint an entire bike with it and it'll look OK, not perfect on a car, but it will work.

>>13873247
Having them swapped will not be worth the extra threadlife.
>>
File: received_10207991815618219.jpg (141 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
received_10207991815618219.jpg
141 KB, 540x960
How stupid would it be to turbocharge a Geo metro? It's the i3 with a 5 speed. Looking to make somewhere around 70-80hp for that sanic fast

Yes, I'm going to replace the window, deal with the rust, and get new tires.
>>
>>13873221
youtube rustoleum
>>
Is there an /o/ approved tire? Do you have one you recommend and why?
>>
>>13873778
I check out reviews and tests on here http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ and tirerack.

>>13873726
not stupid at all, you can get forged internals for these and there was a factory turbo version too (suzuki)
>>
>>13873726
extremely
>>
>>13873778
I wouldnt ask /o/ for advice on anything.
Just go to tirerack and read reviews.
>>
File: mr2ass.jpg (788 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
mr2ass.jpg
788 KB, 2560x1440
What's the best way to clean paint transfer off my shitbox?
In return, cute ass.
>>
>>13874449
no idea what you're on about, but clay bar?
>>
>>13873726
"bert"

Why
>>
Is it fine to switch over standard bulbs to LED bulbs? My mom has a 2000 Acura TL and I want the bulbs to be a bit brighter for her at night, so I was thinking about replacing them with their LED counterparts. Is there any downside to doing this? I already know of the fast blinking turn signal problem, luckily I can buy a resistor easily if I decide to do those as well.
>>
Do you guys have a favorite Youtube channel for car reviews?
>>
>>13875055
We're talking headlights here, right?
>>
>>13875074
Nah, just stuff like taillights, backup lights, etc. Her headlights (low beams) are actually HID, which I do need to change out because for some reason the driver side light dims down to a warm yellow after starting out similar to the passenger side light which is a bright white.
>>
>>13875074
I think I wrote that up wrong, maybe not so much being brighter for HER personally at night since she won't really see those lights but for the car in general.
>>
>>13855282
Just did the H4 headlight upgrade on my XJ, and now I'm having some minor issues that I think are related to something with the wiring harness I used. Here's the harness: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P29X4G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I seem to be getting 3 different levels of light, I'll call them Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3. Level 1 looks like a normal low beam. Level 2 looks like a normal high beam. Level 3 looks like an even higher beam than Level 2.

When I turn the headlights on like normal, they turn on to Level 1. Once I turn the high beams on, they turn on to Level 2. Once I turn the high beams off, they turn to Level 3, not back to Level 1 like they should. The only way I can find to get them back to Level 1 is to turn the headlights off, then back on. If I turn just the parking lights on, then turn the high beams on, it will turn on the headlights to Level 1 and keep them on level one, even after I shut the high beam switch off. If I try and put the headlight switch in the normal low beam position from that situation, it turns on to Level 2. Again, the only way to get it off is to turn the headlight switch off, and then turn it back on, resetting the headlights.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I tried finding some info, and one person said something like that happened because they had factory fog lights that would automatically turn on or off depending on whether the high beams were on or off. My Jeep did have factory fog lights, but they never worked while I had the Jeep. There's a switch to turn them on and off, but I'm not sure whether they automatically come on depending on the high/low beams.
>>
>>13865049
no
>>
File: HONDAAccordSedanUS-4220_10.jpg (218 KB, 1024x750) Image search: [Google]
HONDAAccordSedanUS-4220_10.jpg
218 KB, 1024x750
Hello, I have a 2005 Honda Accord 3.0L with a bad starter, how do I know which one I need? Each site I look at shows me a list of 4 and I'm not sure which one matches the one I have.
>>
>>13875656
chances are they'll all work just fine.

link?
>>
>Banging noise @ 1/4 the rpm speed
>4 cylinder
>Mostly noticeable just above idle when giving it throttle
>Clearly coming from the 4th cylinder
Been like this for months, is it like stable knock?
>>
>>13875676
>>13875676
Thank you for the response!
Here is the link that I'm seeing.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx/Honda-Accord-2005/_/Ntt-starter/Ntk-Keyword/Nty-1/N-599001%20102005%2050032%202032004%20520961%20598999%204032009%205999999
>>
soo

a 240sx coupe ka24e happened to land on my hands but the timing is off

however the timing pin seems to have broken off how could i time it correctly?

should i remove the first cylinder spark plug and get it to TDC that way or is there an easier way?

HELP
>>
is liquid copper coolant leak sealer worth a shot? intake manifold gasket is leaking into the oil, was going to take apart the motor and replace it but i saw the bottle for 8 bucks. will it fuck up anything that i wouldnt have to replace anyways?
>>
>>13876466
they usually do more harm than good if dead set try blue devil EXACTLY as instructed or you can clog up the engine too
>intake manifold gasket is leaking into the oil

never mind just do the repair
>>
>>13876486
i was thinking of getting oil flushed to get rid of the coolant mix, then pouring in the sealer, and see if it helps by payday, then after payday dig into it
>>
>>13875082

Myeah, thats your xenon-bulb going bad
I mean its fully well possible to do that, and in most cases you do get better lights - but putting too powerful bulbs in the rear can be damned irritating if somebody is behind you in an intersection or something

And if its at NIGHT you have the most trouble seeing the lights then your bulbs are simply broken
>>
>>13876446
HELP
>>
>>13876521
Calm down, its only been 10 minutes, you know how slow this board is
>>
File: 1411264343223.png (99 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
1411264343223.png
99 KB, 340x340
Hey guys, I have a quick and fairly easy question. I have an 1991 BMW E34 and the recommended octane rating is RON 91 but it's been run on RON 98 its entire life by the former owner and also myself. The thing is though, 98 in my area is the most expensive fuel. I don't want to run 91 so I was thinking about moving it down to 95, would this cause any drastic changes to the car? I know fuel economy may be affected but I've heard about retarding timing which I have no idea what that means.
>>
>>13876534
Running higher octane than the engine needs is worthless. Your ancient BMW is not high performance, and you are not racing. Run cheap ass gasoline (relatively speaking) like it was built for and save a buck.
>>
>>13858666
That salvage yards is overpaying for that POS
>>
File: Untitleddash.png (209 KB, 866x647) Image search: [Google]
Untitleddash.png
209 KB, 866x647
My dash looks like pic related at night. (Camera makes it look way darker than it really is)

Is this a simple fix? Just need to replace a light inside the dash?
>>
>>13876715
It looks like just a bulb. Also check your fuse box too, some cars have separate fuses for certain lights. I was surprised to find my car has individual fuses for each exterior light.
>>
>>13876715
oh hey cool, you're me
>>
>>13876715
you've got a couple bulbs out. remove cluster and replace bulbs
>>
I know you're supposed to check your air pressure cold, and read that gas pump gauges are unreliable. But I don't have a gauge or pump, and my tire pressure hasn't been checked since the summer. I'm also pretty broke till next month.

Should I
A) Go to a pump and try to compensate for whatever errors there might be (there's three or four gas stations 5 minutes away or less) .
B) Get a cheapo gauge to check with at home, fill it up at the station
C) Wait until it goes into the shop for tire change and a check up (next month)
>>
>>13877248
Option b, u can get them at the dollar store. Option a isn't terrible either.
>>
Sorry if I am being stupid but;

is gear knob shaking when under hard acceleration in an S2000 bad? And if it is, what should be replaced to fix it?

>None of the cars I've been in ever did that...
>>
Stereo wiring retard here

I figured out which wires were which, wired them together. I used the harness that was sitting in my car when I bought it, someone had already wired it. The Battery 12v wire was wired together with the Ground wire, so I undid that because I don't think that was right. Somebody here on /o/ told me to wire my stereo's power to the Battery 12v wire, but instead I wired it to the ignition power wire because the colors were the same and I figured I only want my stereo on when the car is on. I don't really understand how the ground wire works (or electricity really) so I took the black wires from both the car and stereo, wired them together and taped the open wire to a piece of metal on the car (I'm not sure if this was correct or not)

I plugged the stereo in and turned the key, my car died. After panicking for a second I unplugged and plugged the battery back in and this time I was able to start my car but the stereo doesn't work at all.

Can somebody take a guess what I did wrong? I just want music in my car man.
>>
>>13877635
Slight vibrating is normal. Full on shaking for the first bout of power application isn't unheard of, though immediately I know it only from old(er) cars. Shouldn't be shaking all the time.
Is it loose and floppy when in a gear and your wriggle the stick around? Change the bushings.
>>
File: 12351.png (363 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
12351.png
363 KB, 480x480
>>13855582
lmao is this car supposed to look like the angry pepe? Because it does.
>>
>>13859475
From my experience its usually not taking off the heads themselves or putting them back on that are that hard, its getting shit out of the way, my brake booster makes the driver side head a bitch to take off. Stuff like that.
>>
>>13877637
First off, what kind of car is it? Euro cars sometimes have different colours to what's generally accepted (i've had to connect up stereos in BMWs and Opels, it's all weird).

Second, what do you mean your car died? Did it start and then stop or not start at all? I did some work on my friends Vauxhall Astra and after reconnecting the battery and starting, the car died. It took a few restarts to get going but it got going and I assume it was the system resetting itself.

Also check your fuses. You might have blown one when you installed the stereo.
>>
I've got a Lincoln Mark 8 block from 1996. Just the bare teksid block.
I want to put forged internals in it, and I want to boost the whole motor.

Should I get the deepest dished pistons, for the lowest compression and are a bit bigger than the stock block?
So when I get it bored out, 0.20" I'll not have to worry about imperfections in the cylinder walls?
Apparently the compression comes out to 8.84:1 while a flat top comes out to 11.17:1

This is my first engine build and I'm straight up starting from the bottom.
>>
I need a vehicle pretty bad, I'm looking at hatchbacks and there's not much in my area. There's one 'reliable' dealer with decent ratings and BBB rating of A+ for what it's worth, they have a couple I have my eye on. One is a 2008 Mazda3, the other is a 2011 Kia Forte. I know /o/ loves their Mazdas here, but my eye is actually more on that Kia. The main reason is because the Carfax shows more maintenance records and it was taken care of pretty well. The other reason is that, for the Mazda, it appears it's been on the lot since April of this year. That irks me because in 5 short months it would've been sitting for a year. So, first question is, does anyone have experience with Kia Forte hatchbacks? I've read Kias have become much more reliable with newer year models. The other question is about cars sitting on lots, do you typically avoid cars that have been there so long and have had the price reduced (maybe to sell quicker)? It was $11k, now right at $10k.
>>
Any way of telling if a battery is proper fucked or just flat from a light left on?

Nothing works in my old DD after it was sitting for a couple of weeks, no lights etc and turning the ignition does nothing. I got 2.5v with a multimeter across the terminals of the battery. Is it worth bothering with getting a charger or should I just get a new battery? Can't push start because auto.

Selling it soon so I want to avoid putting money into it if possible.
>>
>>13855314
I would also like to know this
>>
>>13877865
8.84 is a touch high, a small overbore is nice but not always needed, depending on the condition of your bores you might get away with just a hone.
>>
Should I register into my community college for pre-engineering or should I try and get into cars and make a career out of that?
>>
Anybody got any advice on how to start learning how to weld? I found a book on amazon called how to weld that looks like it would be pretty decent for a beginner, but I was wondering if anybody here had any better resources they used to learn.
>>
>>13880116
community college

>>13880142
rent a welder and practice on some scrap
>>
>>13878300
>didn't disconnect battery before leaving vehicle to sit for more than a week.

it's probably fine, get a jump from someone and drive it for 20-30 minutes to recharge battery
>>
>>13877341
Thanks, pal
>>
>>13859014
Unless you have a cable clutch and a bad knee, and/or are in NYC, no.
>>
>>13860511
Double clutching let's you get in gear without synchronizers, not rev matching.
>>
>>13877248
If you live somewhere with a tire shop they should do that free dude
>>
Anybody have an e30 w/ m20? I need to replace my alternator and I've gotten down to the bottom bolt, but it's being blocked by the water pump bracket. The bracket is also blocked by the water pump pulley; I'm wondering if I need to remove the pulley and bracket just to get this last bolt or if there's something I'm not seeing. Thanks in advance
>>
Can anyone give me some good books to read Auto related.
Decided im going in to automotive repair and while i know some stuff i would like to know more, i got 8 months before i can actually go in to schooling for it.
>>
Hey, Fellas, quick question --
I own a V6 Mercury Cougar. for anyone unfamiliar with the car, they basically shoehorned the motor into the engine bay, with Milimeters to spare.

I've owned it only a few weeks, so I'm not sure if is this normal, but i can come back to the car two hours after parking it (after regular driving) and the engine's still going to be as hot as it was.

Engine coolant temps are normal, but it doesn't feel like running this hot under the hood is very healthy for the electronics or the car's performance. Are high underhood temps bad for the car? Should I just leave it alone, or should I get to reducing them? I do plan on the occasional Track Day.

TL;DR Underhood temps high, unsure if normal, car is new to me. wat do?
>>
>>13881781
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHa6PXrV-yIhuV00xuw8i-0-9N-0ygfR7

enjoy
>>
>>13878065
I wouldn't get into anything but a Hyundai Genesis now -- but they did get their reliability up indeed.
I would still go get something a little older but better proven; Mazda and most imports have their shit together, and their reputation confirms it.

I wouldn't trust Carfax for a Damn thing. ask for actual paper receipts.. soooooo many shops will do repair work or such after an accident without reporting it to Carfax because Muh resale value. . and just because it doesn't show it's repair history doesn't mean it wasn't done, PO could've been a Shade tree mechanic like most of us here.

about reviews and such, try Truedelta.com and Edmunds for the model you're eyeing; common issues and the like are most likely going to show there.

also, why the heck are you shopping at a Dealership?
>>
Can I TT a g35 and make similar numbers to a gtr?
>>
>>13875735
anyone got an idea for this? Should I just take it to the mechanic?
>>
Tips to fill a gouge in a plastic bumper? I really don't want to sand, sand again, then fill it, then paint it. I feel like it'll turn out like shit for me.
>>
>>13877637
+1 for blown fuse

grab a multimeter, confirm RED is switched power (only on when key is set to ON or car is running) and whatever the other colour is (most cars i've seen have Yellow) this is Always On, or 'hot', and it keeps the stereo's settings. Black is Ground, black from your Head unit goes to black on harness. nowhere else.

Whatever wire you put to a metal part of the car has most likely no business being there. doesn't make any sense -- how old of a car is this? was it built in Eastern Russia or something? I've never seen that kind of setup before.

Also, Basic electricity -- Red is +, positive, whatever. Black is Negative -- juice flows from one end to the other, and then magic happens. you gotta have a closed circuit, AKA both + and - hooked up, or Juiciness don't flow.
>>
>>13868614

>>13872071 +1, my old Hyundai had Coils (not COP) and the thing misfired pretty bad on occasion (some days yes, some not). finally figured out the Coils didn't like humidity. replaced, and all was well.
>>
>>13881870
bodywork sucks, that's why it's expensive. replace bumper, fix it like you said, let it be, or finish off the gouge into a cut and Drift stitching for +50HP
>>
>>13876534
Still needing help with this one. The one reply I got was a cynical one about the brand of the car and how I think I'm a racer.

All I want to know is that I'm not messing up my engine by changing the octane. Anyone able to help?
>>
>>13883983
He was completely serious, jesus. Google what octane means
>>
>>13877828
>>13881881
Just got back from work so this a late reply, anyone reading this can respond.

1993 Subaru Legacy

I hooked what the stereo said "Switched power" to my car's "Ignition 12v". My car has a yellow "Battery 12v" wire but I don't have that connected to anything because the stereo only has a single wire for power and I already have the car's "Ignition 12v" wire hooked into that.

It seems I have gotten the Ground wire wrong, so I'll fix that as well.

As for my car "dying" I figured out I just had the battery terminals not connected tight enough.
>>
>>13883991
>google it lol

good work helping that guy. why even have these threads if we can just google shit right?
>>
>>13884015
>Other guy tells him what he needs
>Still asks
He deserves it
>>
>>13881870
Stickers ;-)
>>
>>13865357
Yeah lost me at the end.
>>
My battery seems a bit screwy. When i put my key in and turn it, my battery gague on my dash usually slowly goes up to around 8 volts. Thats right on the caution line, and anything below, or sometimes slightly above 8v wont let me start my car. No turning over or anything. If i let it sit without the key in it eventually lets me start it. When/if i get it started, the battery jumps up to around 12v almost instantly. I tried using a battery charger, set for a slow charge, but it kept saying my battery was at at least 95%. I didnt have this issue before i got my radiator fan working again, so i know its related to the fan and how much power it pulls. The senpai sensor is dead, so i just have the fan set to run as long as the car is running. Any ideas on why i magically gain 4v when my car is running, and how i can prevent it from hanging around 8v while not running?
>>
>>13884269
Your battery is extremely close to dying, and when you do manage to start the car your engine is powering your car (alternator).
>>
>>13884302
I was thinking its something like that, or my alternator was screwy, but this battery isnt even a year old. Its like 3 months old at most, but i have noticed it doesnt seem to ever charge with the alt. I havent left anything running while the car is off and killed it, and im pretty sure i dont have anything draining it like a light or something. Is there any chance its something other than a dead/almost dead battery?
>>
How hard is it to replace a serpentine belt for a complete noob? My brother needs a replacement, but wont let me try it and instead will pay his faggot "friend" for the part and the work. Surely it can't be that hard.
>>
>>13884883
Under a year old? Did you buy it brand new? Return that bitch for a new one.
>>
>>13855528
S2000.
Or do some research and see what kind of cars have won nationals in street classes.
>>
File: BERTSTRIKES.gif (1 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
BERTSTRIKES.gif
1 MB, 300x169
>>13885159
>it can't be that hard

it's pretty hard, noob. if it's a accessory drive belt then it should be tedious but straightforward. If it's a timing belt then you need to make specific marks on the cam and crank to not mess up timing, and on certain vehicles you may need to replace pullies and tensioners.

>tfw they never post make/model/year
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.