[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whining sound in engine compartment.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: Drive belt installation.jpg (80 KB, 800x478) Image search: [Google]
Drive belt installation.jpg
80 KB, 800x478
Ok, /o/.

So the other day I was driving my '92 Ford F-150 XLT. I was coming back from town and I noticed my engine started smoking immensely. I seen my coolant gauge was near the overheating level.

So I chanced it, and drove over to a friends house. I opened the hood and radiator coolant was everywhere. *Predominantly on the left side of the engine*

I went inside, and got some water from him and poured it in the coolant cap and went to the local mechanic.
He found a hose had rotted open, and was spraying coolant on my alternator (causing the smoke) and most of the parts connected to my drive belt.

He replaced the hose and I filled it back up with the right coolant, but now there is a whining sound when it runs and drives.

An other anons have something similar happen to them? Im sorta thinking it might be some because the parts were kind of wet still.
I checked the water pump, and its not leaking, nothing seems to be leaking. I might go and wipe it down later on, but just curious if anyone else had something similiar happen to them, and see if they resolved it. Im open to any suggestions and possibilities as well.

*Pic sorta related, how my drive belt assembly looks like.*

Thanks.
>>
>>15208104
be more specific.
also why did you go to a mechanic when you could have replaced the hose your self wtf?
>>
>>15208848
Specific? Whats missing?

But at the time, I did not know a hose was leaking, I thought something was up with my radiator. But the mechanic is just some local farmer, really.
>>
File: 1313613920045.png (8 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1313613920045.png
8 KB, 400x400
>>15208879
>does it whine when your idling
>when you accelerate
>when you turn
>does it only happen above highway speeds
>can you hear it in the front end or rear?
>does it resonate through out the cabin?

thats whats missing retard.

>mechanic farmer
>op doesnt open his hood every once in awhile just to see if anything is up.

you deserved it also you shouldnt put water in a radiator. radiators are aluminum and water rusts aluminum god damn op learn to car
>>
>>15208905
>you deserved it also you shouldnt put water in a radiator. radiators are aluminum and water rusts aluminum god damn op learn to car
Then why do they sell 50/50 diluted in the store?
not op either
>>
>>15208104

>He replaced the hose and I filled it back up with the right coolant
>with the right coolant

he charged you over $200 for this work, didn't he?

replacing that hose should cost not a single penny over $80
>>
File: commute-stress.jpg (30 KB, 415x274) Image search: [Google]
commute-stress.jpg
30 KB, 415x274
>>15208926
because its diluted
>>
>>15208943
fuck man i bought a radiator hose for my car and it was like 15$ because i found it leaking

because i popped my hood to check things over

something op didnt do

like a retard.
>>
>>15208905
It whines when im idling, accelerating, turning, its whining all the time. The reason it was so hard to find the leak was also because it has been raining for days around the area I live, and I couldn't have seen it because everything was wet from the leak beforehand.

>>15208943
He only charged like $10. It was simple hose under the throttle body.
>>
>>15208950
That doesn't answer anything

>Why do they sell diluted coolant
>Because it's diluted
what the fuck m8
>>
>>15208926
what rusts aluminum is the salts and minerals in bottled water. distiled water is fine, but not recommendable in the long run.

the 50/50 mixtures are because pure coolant is usually not necessary, the more % of coolant, the more cold is can resist before freezing in the radiator. (water frezzes at 0). the only reason coolant is so much better, is that it can wistand sub 0 temperatures. i use a 10% coolant mix on my car because we very rarely get bellow 0º C temperatures (twice a year) and never bellow -5º.

TL;DR:
>drinking water is bad, because salts and minerals rust aluminum
>destiled water isn't bad, but freezes under sub 0º C temperatures, which is bad
>coolant mixed with water is good, because you can decide the temperatures which your coolant mix will withstand.
>>
File: images (1).png (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images (1).png
6 KB, 225x225
>>15208965
because its not straight water you stupid fuck the mix of ethaline glycol doesnt fuck your radiator like pure straight mineral water does. fuck off.
>>
>>15208964
power steering pump.
problem solved
>>
look OP, what probably happened is either because of the coolant leak (liquids on belts = big no no, bad for car) or the repair (acidental touches, etc...) you must have either fucked up your belt, or missaligned a pulley.

there are tests you can do, see if any of the pulleys are moving akwardly, if the belt has a lot of play, etc...
>>
>>15208104
OP, check power steering pump and fluids

/thread
>>
>>15208986

mineral water isn't even bad

the radiator is a liquid cooling system designed to handle water
>>
>>15208905
>water rusts aluminum

Unless he poured some salt in there with it, nothing is going to happen to the aluminum
>>
>>15208104
Replace serpentine, if it still whines, then it's something else, but I've never had it be something else

The belt whines when it slips, so it could have just worn out, the coolant could have left some film or some shit on the belt or something isn't turning right.

Other anons are suggesting power steering but my pump sounded more like a soft grinding when it died and only when I was turning
>>
File: temppic.png (271 KB, 478x277) Image search: [Google]
temppic.png
271 KB, 478x277
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.