[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone have experience with the W12 versions of these? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (140 KB, 640x419) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140 KB, 640x419
Anyone have experience with the W12 versions of these? I've recently got into looking at them and am realizing I am slowly convincing myself to buy one. I am already aware that repair costs can throw a person into bankruptcy, but that isn't an issue for me. I just want to know exactly how problematic can they be and how dependable they are. Thanks for the comments in advance.
>>
>>15199112
Any parts besides consumables are expensive as fuck. Unless you live near an amazing indie vw shop you have to take it to a shop that has a certified phaeton technician. Lots of parts have to come from germany.

Buy the cleanest one you can find and it'll save you money in the long run. Make sure it has maintenance records. I'd get a vagcom reader to communicate with the computer or a bluetooth obd2 and torque pro to keep an eye on the engine.
>>
>>15199165
I knew about the special tech, I know a local dealer has a tech because they sold the Phaetons when they were available in the states. I'm still on the look for a indie shop because I know VW like to rape you with the hour charges.

There's one by me that has 120k miles on it and has every single maintenance done to the car, at least that's what they say. The millage scares the hell out of me, seems a bit high, though I haven't found an example with lower millage. It is an 11 year old car, so I imagine it would have some gremlins.
>>
>>15199216
post a link

VWs typically have weird intermittent electrical issues. I'd read on a forum about common problems.
>>
>>15199243
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/volkswagen/phaeton/1797210.html

Not sure on the price, seems high but I honestly have no clue. I've read some common problems with them and things to look for when inspecting one. The common problems mentioned seem minor, but if not corrected can lead to some painful and expansive repairs. The sunroof drains clogging being one of them.
>>
>Curb weight: 2,449 kg (5,399 lb) (LWB W12)
>>
>>15199263
Looks clean as fuck. Not sure if it's worth 3-4000 more than what they're listed for on autotrader.
>>
>>15199311
W12's tend to go for more than the V8's, which is understandable. I've been having a hard time finding Phaetons with W12's, I think I saw one other one in Texas, but it had 160k miles or something. Seeing as how only 500 were imported to the states, at least that's what that listing says, they aren't/shouldn't be very common.
>>
>>15199112
Why do you want to buy this?
>>
>>15200432
It's an Audi with none of the stigma.
>>
>>15199282
It's a proper luxobarge. Underappreciated S-Class competition.
>>
Phaeton is great car, I'm looking to buy a v10 5.0 TDI version.
I drove it. It's extremely comfortable and smooth in drive.

P.S. There are 5 and 6 speed auto versions. Go for 6 speed.
>>
>>15199112
>seriously wanting to buy a W12 VW

kys, it'd be cheaper
>>
>>15200545
>automatic
>diesel
Like what's the point? Why would you buy an auto if you cared about fuel economy and why would you buy a diesel if you cared about comfort.
>>
>>15200561
I live in shity country petrol phaeton is rare.
And there isn't a manual phaeton...
>>
>>15199112
why not a8 w12? lighter and still stealth luxury aside from the badge
>>
>>15200432
My previous cars have been Smaller sporty cars, so a change of pace seems like fun. There's something about the car that interests me, partly because you rarely see them, and partly because I enjoy how casual it looks.So, pretty much what >>15200444 said.

>>15200545
We only got the V8 and W12 in the states. The W12 only came with the 5-speed while the V8 came with the 6 speed.
>>
>>15200573
>tfw all the 7 series and S-class V12s that you can buy for 5 grand are all autoshit and aren't even fun to autocross
>>
>>15200444

It's actually a Bentley with a VW badge.

Reading through the Phaeton threads on vwvortex.com will confirm this.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.