[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Mechanical Jew
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: oil_jew.jpg (97 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
oil_jew.jpg
97 KB, 500x333
Post your mechanic scam stories, I'd love to hear them.
>>
>>15108115

>Exhaust Pipe cracks right after resonator
>Take it in to Midas
>Tell me they can weld it, don't need to replace whole thing
>Look under my car when they're done
>They cut the fucking resonator off and welded a straight pipe on
>A couple weeks later notice my bumper melted around the cutout for the muffler
>Take car back in to to show them they fucked up
>They tell me I hit something which bent the pipe up and it will be $400 to fix

When they told me they would weld it back on I figured they would just weld it back on to the resonator. And I figured they wouldn't compensate me for the melted bumper but I would have liked a simple sorry rather than them trying to fuck me a second time.

Here's another. My dad recommended to me a local mechanic who he always had good experiences with. When I took my car in for grinding noise when turning, I got a $100 diagnosis fee and they told me it was the torque converter. I took it to a meineke a couple weeks later and they charged me 50 bucks to bend the piece back in place that was rubbing when turning.
>>
>>15108115
oh my god...
>own manual rx8
>light chirping sound when clutch is depressed
> read around, figure its the throwout bearing
> driving when suddenly loud screech and weird smell, throwout bearing exploded
> pretty far from my rotary mechanic and decide it would be cheaper to get my clutch fixed nearby
>take it to chucks auto-repair
>"I'll examine for $50 and call you back bro"
> calls me back
> "hey man, i think you're gonna need a new flywheel etc etc it's gonna be $2400
> That is literally more than what the car is worth
> "okay man I'll see if I can do something else"
---- 15 minutes later ------
> "good news man, if you don't need a flywheel It'll just be $1,800"
> literallywhat.jpg
------- next day --------
> get my car towed to my rotary mechanic
> full clutch fix for $900, adds new battery and defloods my engine cause chuck the tard flooded it and wasted my battery
>Literally speechless for how awful some mechanics are

Finding a good mechanic is literally half of buying a car

>
>>
My car battery kept dying. Turns out it was grounding out on the trunk hatch that was busted. Charged like $500 to fix but someone later told me they can find that really quick with a scan tool or something.
>>
>fucking murano keeps randomly shuddering at speed
>3 shithead mechanics can't figure shit out, change tires, change brakes, one asshole changes out the motor mounts and crank bearings
>car now consumes a quart of oil per thousand miles
>take it in to a suspension guy like I wanted to but sister's car and she wasn't listening until now desperate
>fucking $80 CV joint.

>trade car for an LS400
>>
> '03 Mustang GT.
> Very hot afternoon, car overheats right when I get to my workplace
> Coolant bubbling over the cap and all over the street
> Tank is bone dry
> Co-workers recommend shop right next to the office
> Take it in during my shift, this is quite convenient
> Get a call
> "It's probably the headgaskets. There's moisture in your exhaust. It'll be 900$ to fix."
> "Okay, I'll take my car back for now and get back to you"
> Fill the reservoir with water and drive it home after work.
> Buy a new radiator cap the next day.
> Good as new, no overheating problems since.
>>
>>15110278
How is the LS?
>>
>>15108115

> car is shaking at several speeds
> 'you need new brake disks'
> get new brake discs, car still shaking
> 'we changed some suspension parts'
> car keeps shaking, keep driving until I feel unsafe and it makes significant noise when changin lanes etc
> 'wow your bearings are very very bad'
> change both front wheel bearing
> car drives smooth as butter

Motherfuckers
>>
File: 1409818174923.png (967 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1409818174923.png
967 KB, 1280x720
>>15108115
>The Mechanical Jew
Sorry, I'm a little too enamored with the stormfront jew who wandered here from the land of aryan-approved shilling. I'm so proud of you for sharing this important message with the destitute autists of this californian tax-paying board.
Seriously, thank you for your service.
>>
>>15110556
About one metric fuckton better than the murano.
>>
>>15110797
>triggered.jpg
What's a sensitive little flower like you doing on 4chan?
>>
File: 1411518403915.png (86 KB, 800x278) Image search: [Google]
1411518403915.png
86 KB, 800x278
>>15110832
d e u s
v u l t
>>
>>15108115
That's what happens when you go to non-certified mechanics. They learn by trial and error on people's cars. And of course charge their time and parts experimenting to your wallet.

Perhaps ASE certified mechanics are better?
>>
>>15110862
The type of mechanic hardly matters in the end. Properly diagnosing and repairing a car costs time, and time is often the single most precious resource a shop has. They can't afford to do a proper job; they'd be out of business if they did. Most of the crunch comes on the diagnosing end, though. So if you can figure out what's wrong on your own time and have the shop do that specific repair, they probably won't cut too many important corners.
>>
>>15110880
My mom needed a new transmission put into her car, she got quoted more than the car was worth by someone and was upset that she couldn't afford that. Managed to cut the bill in half for her by just drawing up a list of exactly what the car needs, what parts to get, where they can be found and for how much, and how long it should take, and sending her to the mechanic with that. Yeah doing your own diagnostics and being able to say to the mechanic exactly what you want done helps.
>>
Easier and less expensive to just buy a lifter and do the work yourself.

Play Car Mechanic Simulator 2015, I learned a lot about cars. There need to be more car mechanic sim games.
>>
>>15110929
You need real world experience

Someone could memorize a chiltons manual cover to cover and then freeze at the first frozen bolt they run into

Old farmers and redneck mechanics are the best for that kind of thing, i've learned more from Cletus and his rusty c10 than from any formal training
>>
Not my story because I do my own work but a friend told me this.
>oil light in his Neon comes on
>he though it just meant it was time for an oil change
>lolno it's low on oil
>blows up
>pays to have it towed to a mechanic he found on craigslist
>mechanic says he is going to drop a new engine in it
>lolno a week later he says he tried and it won't fit
>says he has another car to offer him of which he has just fixed the steering rack
>he takes the Neon plus a couple hundred dollars for that car
>friend drives that for a week, then he hits a bump turning into a parking lot and suddenly cantturn
>can't afford a tow or repair so he just leaves it there
>asks me for a ride and if I know anyone selling a car for less than $1k
>he also has to move back in with his mom around this time
>his mom drives an uninsured shitbox with expired registration
>>
>>15110901
Home diag can be shit tho

>Idiot insists he just needs new pads, brakes are grinding etc
>get up on lift
>fucking front wheel bearing is hanging on by caliper
>STOP TRYING TO SCAM ME ALL I NEED IS BRAKES
>>
>>15110410
>There's moisture in your exhaust. It'll be 900$ to fix."
I hope he didn't actually think someone would fall for this
>>
>>15110410
Did you replace your thermostat, too?
>>
>>15110958
Your friend is a dumbass lol. I mean, that mechanic is a terrible human being who takes advantage of dumbasses but still.
>>
>>15111186
Dodge dealer in downtown Los Angeles gave me this line last month. After cleaning injector (not at dealer) all is well.
>>
>>15111214
Bad thermostat wouldn't cause those symptoms.

> stuck open: engine never warms up
> stuck closed: engine would still be super-hot

Also, if stuck closed, he wouldn't have made it to work.
>>
>Go to Jiffy Lube for oil change
>All's good
>Halfway through they come out with a dirty air filter not from my car
>Tell us that this is my air filter, look how dirty, you should replace it
>Tell them that's not my air filter
>Mechanical Jew scurries back into their rat hole and acts like nothing happens when they return my car with fresh oil.

Jiffy Lube never again.
>>
Have an old '86 vannagon at 800k. Second engine is right around half of that. Family friend wants to start driving it so I let her take it, was smooth as silk when it left my driveway. About a month later she brought it back and asked if she could store it until she got time to fix the engine that apparently "broke".

I didn't really care so just threw a tarp over it. The other day (three months later) she is over hanging out and tells me full story.

>Take van in for an oil change
>Everyone super nice, super helpful and inviting.
>After change sounds fine, drives around and then drives home
>Next day huge puddle of oil in driveway so she adds some more oil and drives it back to shop
>When she asks about what happened and if they could take a look they get evasive. One of the guys starts to talk to her then gets pulled away and someone else comes out.
>Engine is shot, no evidence of any oil leak so she must have fucked it up. Also she must be lying about puddle. Also she should buy new engine.
>Had it towed to me

Wish I had time to look into it when it was dropped off. Fuckers left out the drain plug and that I would bet money on. Then lied because she is a girl.
>>
>>15111391
>Jiffy Lube

you did it to yourself. at least have the self-respect to go to a Firestone or Les Schwab.
>>
Go to mechanical jew to do minor repairs.
Mech jew says it's done, come get your car
All looks fine, but after a week decide to ride with open windown because warm weather.
Hear that engine sounds a bit differen.
Get to the friends garage to check.
Catalysator gone.
Complain to mech jew. Says I cut catalys my self after repair.(1 week passed since repairs)
Cant proof shit, such life in eastern europe
>>
>>15111391
>Jiffy Lube never again.

Same here. I was lied to.

Oh my, you too? I doubt I live in your town or city, but my Jiffy Lube about 15 years ago tried some strange tactics to upsell me a new air filter. Now, I replaced my own air filters and check them regularly because I like to vacuum out any dirt or debri that settles to the bottom of the air chamber space beneath the filter. No mummified cat yet found there like with someone else in this forum.

Because I usually inspect my car before I take it to any place for service, I knew my filter didn't need replacement and it was still somewhat new. Yet, they tried to upsell me a new filter with that "your air filter is dirty and needs replacement line". They don't have to be commissioned because if they have monthly sales target goals in order to collect a bonus, that results in the same effect as a commission; they upsell aggressively to the consumer and are deceptive. I stopped going to JL after that because of their constant upselling.

All right, now you guys get to kick me. I used Fram air filters. They have that pretty orange foamed rubber surround for the filter and I always liked that color. Much nice looking than black rubber. So that's why I only used Fram for the life of the car.

Jiffy Lube. The land of unneeded upselling.
>>
>>15111651
It's a good thing he didn't use that repair opportunity to steal other valuable parts off your car besides the catalytic converter. He could have stripped the airbags out from your dash as those have good resale profit.
>>
>Getting WOF from person I've never been to before
"Looks straight"
'Yeah just got it 4 weeks ago'
>Ask if I can come back in 2 hours due to work
>Come back and find it's failed on handbrake (This was the only problem I actually knew of, rebuild kit didn't arrive in time)
>Leaking rear pistons (Literally bled all brakes last week, I'm surely not the only one that checks for leaks every day after for a week)
>Front pads worn (Replaced while bleeding, greased and cleaned 1 week prior)
>Power steering fluid needs changing (Fully flushed with synthetic with brakes)
>Something about AC pressure
At that point I just stopped him and asked for a quote to get it all done, he said some 4 figure number. The balls on this guy.
'And how much to defend yourself in small claims for trying to rip me off?'
"What?"
'You heard me.'
"Get the fuck off my property"

Couldn't believe it, he's obviously gotten away with it before.
>>
£1700 to fix an Audi fuel pump :'(
>>
>paying people of questionable reliability to play legos with you car
>>
>>15111391
>>15111676

Ex Jiffy lube employee here
We're trained to ask you if you'd like to have your air filter replaced, whether it's dirty or not. It's all for the sale.
>>
>>15108149
this is why you specify the job and what you want done. you then check the job to make sure they performed it properly. I had to have a piece of pipe fabbed and I had to go over each measurement to specify that yes, it had to be these measurements. yes it needs the mounting tabs like in the picture. yes it needs a flare.

>>15109987
>mechanic
>doesnt connect scan tool to diagnose electrical problem
this is surprisingly common. and then they proceed to attempt repairs as if its some ancient analog carby POS.
>>
I would literally never take my car to a shop unless my car broke down, but I live in jew York with required yearly inspections, and a car with a service engine soon light that always comes on even after its "fixed"

I hate mechanic fucks, and the thought of me getting ripped off by these fucks boils my blood, why I never take my car in
>>
>>15111391
>getting oil change done by a mechanic
why?
mechanics will agree to use a higher grade oil but IRL they use drums of the cheapest shittiest 10-40 mineral oil for every car regardless of service spec. they will even up sell you to synthetic but just draw from the same drum.
>>
>>15112121
>get scan tool
>reset service light yourself
even the 5$ ebay scan tools can be used with torque pro to just reset the code on a lot of cars.
>>
Yelp is amazing for this nowadays. No more having to go to your uncles friends cousins place that he suggested in the outskirts of buttfuck nowhere.

I've found two places for my audi which is already saturated in bad mechanics but yelp got me to dedicated , good shops
>>
>workmate doesnt show up one day
>calls me, his company car died
>drive out there and diagnose, cambelt has snapped
>we tow his car to nearest mechanic
>"yeah mate the belt is snapped and the engine is toast, rocker arms are totally smashed... we'll give you $300 for it, as-is"
>company car so we can't say yes or no, arrange to have the car towed back to work for now
>pull rocker cover off out of curiosity
>valve gear... seems alright?
>drop borescope in for a look
>valves.... look ok?
>end up buying car off company and changing belt, tensioners myself
>car fires straight back up to life

fucking cunts
>>
>>15112139
I've turned it off myself before taking it in, it doesn't work, they even said to me smiling "you turned off your service soon light didnt you", you have no idea what bullshit they put the car through for the inspection so just fuck off
>>
It should be a felony to lie about auto repair, but then we'd just end up having well tuned prison buses
>>
File: 1463656612135.jpg (42 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
1463656612135.jpg
42 KB, 640x426
>>15112136
>mechanics will agree to use a higher grade oil but IRL they use drums of the cheapest shittiest 10-40 mineral oil for every car regardless of service spec. they will even up sell you to synthetic but just draw from the same drum.

A 55-gallon drum of Havoline motor oil can be just $400 to the oil change shop thru their distributor. In comparison, a consumer would pay $605 for the same drum if you picked it up at http://hopkinsoil.com/oil-depot/product-pricing/ or some other place like that.
>>
>>15110797

Jewish Internet Defense Force please go.
>>
>>15112250
>autism speaks
I'm not sure what you think wholesale oil pricing has to do with a mechanic buying the cheapest oil on the list.
>>
>>15111755
Where was this?
>>
File: 1040px-Baker_punishment.jpg (635 KB, 1040x1024) Image search: [Google]
1040px-Baker_punishment.jpg
635 KB, 1040x1024
>medieval europe
>bread is a vital part of daily life for everyone
>bakers found to be adulterating flour/tampering with weights to scam customers get punished harshly

>modern world
>cars are a vital part of daily life for everyone
>mechanics who invent problems/replace functional parts to scam customers get begrudgingly accepted as part of life
Parading disreputable mechanics around town with the offending car part tied around their neck when?
>>
File: IMG_20160514_161330[1].jpg (1 MB, 3242x1848) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160514_161330[1].jpg
1 MB, 3242x1848
my sister had her twingo's whole exhaust line changed.
After a few week, she started complaining about weird loud vibration noise around the muffler.

Finally had a chance to look at it the other day, and well, picture speaks for itself.
>>
>>15113178
Jesus christ.
>>
File: 0818151902a.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
0818151902a.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
This car has been in the shop for 2 years now.
It should be done soon(tm)
>>
>>15112738
Great plan
>>
>>15112136
Thats why i always bring my own oil to my mech.
I mean he is a good guy and been working on my car for years, he wouldnt fuck me over anyway, but still.
>>
>>15112121
Read the code instead of clearing it, fix it and then it'll go away on its own.. That's the point of the light. I have annual inspections too with 0 issues passing each time.
>>
>>15109987
No. Goddamn you guys are awful

>I'm too stupid to repair my vehicle
>mechanic rips me off by trying to charge me for his labor even though I don't know how to fucking do it
>he put wiper blades on and now my transmission is slipping
>>
What's the general opinion about authorized workshops from the dealership/factory?

I work at one, and I never see anything like you guys describe. We've got tall prices, sure, but we rarely if ever rip people off. Granted this is in Europe though, and most of you seem to be having difficulties with US shops.
>>
>>15111391
I have a Co worker that came from jiffy Lube as his last job he told me his boss made him and other guys take people's air filters and rub them with oily rags to make them dirty and to also rip the rubber inserts on wiper blades so customers would buy new ones. I swear jiffy Lube is shit
>>
>>15113817
Dealership Parts Manager Here. The only people who get ripped off are the people who ask for it. Anyone who says "just do what it needs" will get ripped off. They come in for an oil change an leave with an engine flush, power steering flush, transmission flush, emissions service, & a/c tune up. Whatever other things the service writer is getting spiffed on to sell. This month it's in cabin filters. These dumb fuckers actually come in for a 29.95 oil change & leave with a $2000 bill. Oh, BTW next service your cars gonna need 4 tires & brakes all around. Have nice day Mr. Fucknuts. This cunt service writer I work with interprets "just do what it needs" as do whatever she can sell to get a new handbag & a pair of shoes for herself.
>>
File: Expelled_from_Paradise.jpg (229 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Expelled_from_Paradise.jpg
229 KB, 1920x1080
>>15113851
>>15111391
>his boss made him and other guys take people's air filters and rub them with oily rags to make them dirty and to also rip the rubber inserts on wiper blades so customers would buy new ones. I swear jiffy Lube is shit

I am the poster in >>15111676 and that's what made me quit using Jiffy Lube in the Tukwila washington state area (near Costco of Tukwila). I didn't know they wiped my Fram air filter with dirty rags, but I knew for sure it was clean because not only was it fairly new, I had inspected it and other things before I went to Jiffy Lube. I usually do a pre-inspection before I take the care anywhere for service. So it was annoying to be told I needed to get a new air filter.

I suppose the managers at JiffyLube cannot resist temptation. They see this endless stream of customers not as people, but as wallets walking in the door. So they feel it is their right to "shoplift" a few dollars from each customers' wallet because the customers can afford it and this is a capitalist society based upon the saying "Caveat Emptor" (buyer beware).
>>
Not my story but happened to my dad.

>try to crank up '92 F150 on a particularly wet and humid morning
>truck turns over once and then nothing, faint white smoke and smell of electrical wiring / components burning
>dad normally does all his own work on his vehicles but he can't trace down the problem this time
>loads the truck up on a trailer and hauls it to a mechanic recommended to him by a friend
>truck stays there for over 3 weeks, they finally trace it down to a fried ECU
>replace ECU and charge about $1000
>gets truck back in running condition but the fucking sway bar is now bent to shit

They apparently tied something onto the sway bar to pull his truck from their parking lot into their shop to work on it and bent the shit out of it. My dad replaced the sway bar but was beyond pissed off about the entire situation.
>>
>>15111391
Made that mistake.
>Get filter changed because long hours and fuck you, I don't feel like doing it myself this time
>Take it to Jiffy Lube, I didn't know any better
>Shitbox is now dripping oil
>Get under her, it's coming from the filter itself
>What
>Filter feels funny, cannot get it off, no matter how hard I try
>FUCKIT, take it to Mr. Lube at a nearby Wal-mart, since they've provided great customer service before
>They get it off, slap a new one on, bring me the old one
>Filter is half crushed, Jiffy fucking managed to torque so goddamned hard the actual filter itself is crushed
>How
>Why
>For what purpose
>Take it back to Jiffy, drool oil all over their counter
>Call them a bunch of faggots and leave
>>
File: 1445998975030.jpg (61 KB, 636x571) Image search: [Google]
1445998975030.jpg
61 KB, 636x571
Local ford dealer quoted a friend of mine $600 to replace his o2 sensors on his '98 contour.
>>
>6 weeks ago
>Car gradually wasn't steering right
>Bring car in for 2nd service since I bought it, they do the whole 9 fucking yards, fluids and all
>Oh boy, rear suspension is fucked, out of good fortune it's literally the only thing not covered by warranty
>Need to replace, get quotes, kinda mad at having to fork out even more money for a car I bought 6 months ago, get quote from Toyota, think they are trying to rip me off
>Nope, the costs are fine actually
>Order suspension through Toyota (and pay outright)
>Friend offered to fit it for free, but I wanted to preserve my warranty in case something fucks up and they blame it on the suspension not being done by them
>Bring car to Toyota for fitting
>That'll be $550 pls
>Find out that specific toyo servicing centre I brought it to doesn't even have an affiliation with the warranty company I'm stuck with
>Need to bring the car for another service at a different place within the end of this upcoming week otherwise I lose my warranty
>Already down close to 1.8k
Fuck.

Now I need to figure out a way to get them service the car to keep it under warranty, but minimise the servicing costs
>>
>>15114369
"O2 sensor" sounds scary and complicated to people who don't know what or where they are.
>>
>>15114445
Did you buy some sort of "extended warranty" on that vehicle?
>>
>>15108115
>2000 jeep tj
>pop and no heat
>mechanic I trust says clogged heater core
>quotes $1800 most all labor
>park it for two years trying to find time and space to DIY
>finally get a damn minute and place
>first thing I try to backflush, figure is a long shot but wth
>core is completely clear

Turns out the water pump fly wheel had grenaded and it was a $70 fix
>>
>>15114369
Friend helped me replace mine yesterday. We were both rather surprised that it was a $180 part for it being a 2002 civic
>>
>>15110595
The mechanics my parents still go to do that, they just throw parts at it until it works. They put the wrong size tire on my dad's van once and I pointed it out. Their response? "It's ok, it will just wear the front end out." Had to argue to get the right size put on and that's the last I ever went there.
>>
>>15114534
>They put the wrong size tire on my dad's van once and I pointed it out. Their response? "It's ok, it will just wear the front end out."

w-what? In what world is that "ok"? I rebuild the front end on my '02 Dodge Ram 1500 recently (new upper control arms, lower ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks, brakes, alignment, etc) and it was a gigantic pain in the ass but only cost me ~$200 using ebay parts when the local repair shops wanted over $800 to do the same job. How is wearing out a front end not an issue when it causes $800 worth of repair costs?
>>
>Post your mechanic scam stories, I'd love to hear them.

Ask that guy who gave his totalled shitbox Jag to a dodgy shop which kept it stationary for TWO YEARS and didn't do any repairs.
>>
File: O2_3.jpg (309 KB, 600x448) Image search: [Google]
O2_3.jpg
309 KB, 600x448
>>15114369
$600 sounds fair 2bh
>>
>mom takes her jeep to the dealer to get oil changed
>comes back with a $250 bill

I still don't know what the fuck she was thinking not asking me or my dad before doing that dumb shit
>>
>>15114576
delet this
>>
>>15114476
Yeah, it's got a knack for blowing it's own engine up. I just wanted that covered for a while.
>>
>>15114672
Why get the car in the first place?
>>
I have a good one.
>be me
>have no tools nor auto service experience
>take my car to a mechanic to diagnose a cel and shake under hard acceleration
>they charge me money for a service
Such fucking bullshit.
>>
>>15114683
Cus cheap 2001 mr-s with 65,000km on the clock
I'm pretty sure the precats are already gutted, but I don't dare ask about them in case they want me to 'repair' them, and I have no clue how to reach them from above the car.
>>
>>15110410
water is a product of combustion. There's always moisture in the exhaust.
>>
>>15113916
Jesus Christ. We milk lease cars, we really do since the customer doesn't pay, and neither do we. But if anyone even tried to scam a regular customer this way, he'd be fired on the spot.
>>
>>15108115
>Car is making loud noise and shakes
>Mechanic tells me I need new wheels
>Still shakes and makes noise
>He changes the brakes and it's still broke
>Tells me my muffler and exhaust are really old and worn so I need new ones. Still is broken
>Tells me I need a whole new engine and tranny which will cost 15K
>My car is a 02 civic
>Tell him no thanks
>5 minutes later he calls me back and says good news, it just needs new bearings.

I hope all mechanics burn in hell
>>
>>15112139
When you clear codes all the checks stay reset for 50 or so miles and anyone checking your car with a scan tool can see this.
>>
>>15114747
>start vehicle up on cool day
>water drips out of exhaust for first few minutes because the water vapor from engine combustion condenses on the cool(er) surface of the tailpipe

My dad's tailpipe rusted out on one of his work trucks after 10 years or so because he'd routinely crank it up and drive for less than 1 minute to move it between his two workshops. He went to a local repair place and had them bend up and weld on a new tailpipe for a few bucks when I was little and I remember him telling me that it would've never happened if the vehicle was driven normally since the exhaust system would heat up enough to "burn off" all the excess water once it got up to operating temperature.
>>
>>15114747
Isnt it a product of the catalyst, rather than the combustion itself?
>>
>>15114827
combustion reaction as follows:

Hydrocarbon + atmospheric O2 = CO2 + H2O
>>
>>15114136
>I suppose the managers at JiffyLube cannot resist temptation. They see this endless stream of customers not as people, but as wallets walking in the door. So they feel it is their right to "shoplift" a few dollars from each customers' wallet because the customers can afford it and this is a capitalist society based upon the saying "Caveat Emptor" (buyer beware).

From what I understand, it's due to poor company culture where everyone is pressured from the top down. The regional directors pressure the local managers to meet quota, the local managers pressure employees to meet quotas, etc.
>>
>>15110797
One triggered Jew.
>>
>>15108115
I work at an oil change shop.
Certain employees push engine flushes for any car with a minuscule amount of sludge. Both I and my coworker knows that the engine flush machine eats away seals, but it sells. We also push for new fuel filters and air filters whenever possible. Our synthetic blend costs 67.99 for 5 quarts, full synthetic is 89.99 for 5 quarts, and ultra synthetic is 109.99 for 5 quarts. Ultra is the most popular right next to synthetic blend, yet somehow we get repeat customers that go to us and us only.

We're a fucking scam and it's great.
>>
>Work as a technician for several years
>Try to be as honest as possible
>Notice that other techs are overcharging for easy fixes
>Don't sink to their level and keep repairing cars cheaply.
>Manager comes to me and asks why my hours are so low
>Tell him what's going on, but he responds with "we all have a way to repair" shit, and tells me I need to up my billable hours.
>Quit, go back to school, become engineer.

We aren't all bad, but some shops need to make sure they're turning a profit. so, they sometimes tell you to fix a problem that may or may not be entirely neccessary.
>>
>>15110797

oy vey it's like another shoah
>>
>>15114515
>parked a vehicle for 2 years because of no heat
What
>>
>>15114827
It could be both; I'm not exactly sure what the reaction taking place in the cat is. But >>15114839 is correct, water is a natural product of combustion.
>>
>need engine decarb done on VW
>dealer charges 130 for check engine light and says it will be 800 for the decarb, nothing else included, 1200 with other service.
>laugh and walk out
>local guy does it for under 700, with oil change and alignment

And that was the last time I went to a dealer for service.
>>
>>15114867
>I hate the free market
Fuck off self righteous repressed commie. It's not your workmates' fault that they are smarter than you.
>>
>>15114839
Then explain carbon monoxide and NOx, fucktard.
>>
File: 1462217510614.jpg (24 KB, 283x284) Image search: [Google]
1462217510614.jpg
24 KB, 283x284
I paid $1k for a timing belt change for a Sonata.

They then wanted to charge me $300 for a coolant flush even though my car wasn't over heating and wasn't at the mileage interval for a coolant flush, and $60 to replace the fucking cabin filter.
>>
>>15114984
A 100% efficient combustion reaction is hydrocarbon + O2 = CO2 + H2O. Combustion reactions aren't 100% efficient in current ICE designs so you end up with byproducts like CO and NOx. If you piped straight O2 into the air intake instead of atmospheric gasses then you'd get closer to 100% efficiency (speaking from a chemistry standpoint at least). CO and NOx are unwanted by-products.
>>
>>15115000
>I didn't shop around
lol
>>
>>15114767
>We milk lease cars, we really do since the customer doesn't pay, and neither do we.
What do you mean?

Is it because you're reimbursed by the factory?
>>
>>15115029
Should've done the water pump too.
>>
>>15114984
>CO
incomplete combustion

>NOx
non-combustible compounds reacting in the heat and pressure of the combustion chamber. keep in mind that air is ~80% nitrogen, jizzbeard.
>>
>>15115043
But that is a good idea. Doesn't cost extra except for parts usually, and it's a why the fuck not change while we're here kind of job.
>>
>>15115037
Lease cars that come around us are usually leased by companies, but act as the personal vehicle of whoever drives it. So the guy getting "his" car fixed is getting it fixed for free, the company he works for pays, and we earn cash.

At least I think that's how it works. Never really cared to ask who pays for it when it's lease. All I know it isn't the sap driving the car.

That and warranty that gets refunded by the factory are something we try to get extra money out of.
>>
>>15108149
What piece did they bend back into place?
>>
>>15111755

Should have done shot him
>>
>>15114369
From the mechanics, the parts can run up to $200 each not including labor. Amazon sells good enough bosch sensors for like 30 dollars.
>>
>>15115024
>Combustion reactions aren't 100%
No shit Sherlock. There are other products of combustion besides water and CO2, stop playing word games about it, faggots.
>>
>>15115147

I don't remember. I didn't really know much about cars at the time so when they told me what the problem was it was pretty much a nod and say ok situation, but I wish I would have written it down or kept the diagnosis sheet.
>>
>>15115246
calm your nips, sperglord
>>
>>15115258
I'm upset because I live in a state that annually cornholes me on the annual inspection, yet does nothing about smog.
>>
>>15115246
Fine..

combustion in an ICE as follows:

hydrocarbon fuel + fuel additives + fuel contaminants + atmospheric gasses + cylinder heat/pressure/ignition spark = CO2 + H2O + CO + NOx + other byproducts + gaseous expansion & endothermic heat

Are you happy now? It doesn't change the fact that H2O is one of the major components that result from a combustion reaction itself, which is all that was asked in: >>15114827

When doing simplified equations in chemistry you just use the formula of hydrocarbon + O2 = CO2 + H2O + energy released.
>>
File: 1463251092545.png (92 KB, 253x224) Image search: [Google]
1463251092545.png
92 KB, 253x224
I just came home after crashing for the first time. I'm 27 and been driving for 4 years now.

It was very light, the other guy drove into my front right wheel but it was my fault.
The steering wheel was a bit heavy and had some resistance, and my front wheel was a bit crooked.

They took my car to a mechanic (a friend of my dad's) where I parked it until they open tomorrow morning.
Besides the wheel, the only other damaged part of the car was the fender. Nothing else was touched, not the door or anything.
I hope I don't have to pay too much. It's a 12-year old Corolla.
Since it's a friend of my dad's, surely he won't try to scam me
>>
>>15115378
Well, what kind of insurance do you have on the vehicle? Liability only or comprehensive/collision/"full coverage"?
>>
>>15115448
My insurance covers the other guy but the damage was light, but because it was my fault it doesn't cover me so I have to pay for it myself.
>>
>>15110410
My first guess would of been the cap. Happened to my SRT 4 Neon
>Drive to local craft shop to change oil
Craft shop is on a military base and has one bay full of extra lifts one side, other side is the same, and one side for the mechanics. Pay by the hour of how long you there.
>Park out front and go inside for a couple minutes
>Come back out and see coolant on left side of engine
>Pull it in shop, pop hood and see whats up
>Coolant sprayed on underside of hood
>Look at radiator, nothing. Look at water pump, nope, look at hoses and reservoir hose, all good
>Look at cap
>Coolant. Coolant all over it
Simple fix.
>>
>>15115458
gotcha, so you have liability coverage.. A smart move for an older vehicle but that means that any accident that you're at-fault in will cost you out of pocket expenses to repair your own vehicle.

I can't say how much it'll cost to repair your vehicle, it all depends on what all was damaged. The fender repair can wait as long as it isn't fucked up so bad that it's dangerous to drive with it like it is (it isn't getting into the tire and the headlight/turn signals still work). It sounds like you have a bent control arm, sway bar, strut, drive shaft, and/or tie rod. As long as it didn't jam the drive shaft into the gearbox and cause damage in the transmission then it shouldn't be too bad.
>>
>>15109987
no you cant find electrical grounds with a scan tool, slap the fucker who told you that. you first have to figure out that its a grounded wire and then you have investigate other symptoms to see where the ground might be located
>>
>>15110945
have cletus wank off into my 2004 bmw with controlled area network issues
>>
File: o-SMUG-MAN-SUIT-facebook.jpg (543 KB, 1536x1902) Image search: [Google]
o-SMUG-MAN-SUIT-facebook.jpg
543 KB, 1536x1902
>Canadian tire
>Bring car to get rubber installed on rims
>"We performed a battery test. You're battery is half dead."
>What do you mean half dead? Like it's not fully charged?
>"No, it's just.. It's half dead. We'll need to replace it."
>What does half dead mean? When and why did you do a battery test? Show me the results of your test.
>"Look guy, it's half dead. We already did the test. We have a replacement, it's only $179, it's a good deal".

Talked to his manager. Tire installation was free after that garbage.

My guess is that they were instructed to try to up sell just like everywhere else, but the retarded foreigners working there don't know how to smooth talk anybody who eats beef.

>mfw only other foreigners would fall for his terrible acting
>>
>>15108115
Not really Jew story but shitty mechanic.

>Break pads need replacing
>Cbf doing them myself so take it to local mechanic for quick fix
>Come back later on and take car
>Something like $150
>Car starts to shudder aggressively while driving down highway
>Pull the fuck over and check around
>Tyres are OK, wheels are OK, suspension seems OK
>Can't figure it out
>Decide to check lugs just in case
>No way they'll be the problem
>Can easily tighten every single lug on the fucking car by hand
>Fucking fuming
>>
>>15114806
what fucking year was this? d series swaps go for no more that 500
>>
Personal fear isn't that they will rip me off, it's that they'll take the money and not even TOUCH it, then say they replaced it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-avpx8UTakI

Literally why I'm taking /o/'s advice and not only getting a winter beater/shitbox, but taking it apart to learn how to do cars.
>>
>>15115700
maybe just don't take your car to a quick lube place, dingus
>>
>>15114886
Don't ever have twins negro.

Plus I thought I was looking at weeks of work just to get through it all. Shit they're three now and it took me two week to finish putting bags on my motorcycle.

If I'd not trusted the guy, not had three backup cars or had five minutes to myself it never would have happened.
>>
>>15115310
We have emissions locally, basically surrounding Denver only. Everybody I talk to just registers their shit in co springs and never had to dick with it. Makes me rage since I'm too straight to cheat.
>>
>>15115448
>implying it would matter
You don't claim dinky shit man. Less than 2k damage and I wouldn't even call. The last time I just checked to see if something was covered my rates went up. It wasn't even fucking covered and my rates went up.
>>
>>15111651
That's crazy man. In Hungary I grew up around sleezy mechanics because my dad flipped cars for a living, but the quality of their work was always good, they just overcharged and used stolen parts like crazy. I hope we're not going the way of America and getting both exorbitant prices and shit service.
>>
>>15114956
> Offer better service for cheaper
Do you even know what a free market is?
>>
>>15111986
holy fuck it cost like $180 for a fuel pump job on my volvo 850
>>
File: powdered fuck.png (32 KB, 116x145) Image search: [Google]
powdered fuck.png
32 KB, 116x145
>over a year ago went to Monro Muffler because newfag to owning a and car shit
>ask for oil and transmission change
>few hours get call,"Your total comes to $3,100."
>they tried to say my air filter needed a change, control arms are bad as well as the ball joints
>tell them to just get fluids done and get car back
>still riding on same control arms to this day with no issue
[spoiler]>I still payed $1000 for new catalytic converter at Meineke and a brake flush that wasn't really flushed that same year before this[/spoiler]

Do all maintenance my cars from now even though Monro keeps sending oil change reminders in the mail.
>>
>>15114340
I hate fucking retards that over tighten oil filters. They're designed to be hand tight
>>
>>15116716
>hand tightens his oil filters

Jesus you can't even follow the pictographs on the filter?
>>
>>15116807
are you dumb
i bet you tighten your filters till the shear off
>>
>>15116807
Look at the threads on them you mong. Not to mention they get tighter after you initially put them on
>>
Mechanic here. I only screw over black people and I usually undercharge young, white families.
>>
>>15116807
>look at pictograph
>pictograph shows spinning filter on stub until it makes contact, then tightening 1/2-3/4 turn more (making sure to oil gasket beforehand)
>fuck it, let's just put a strap wrench on that fucker and pull until it crinkles

It must be hard being a greasemonkey
>>
File: 2006_oil_filter_3.jpg (146 KB, 680x702) Image search: [Google]
2006_oil_filter_3.jpg
146 KB, 680x702
>>15116807
>>15117049

True dat, so simple even /o/ can do it.
>>
>take car to the mechanic because I'm busy and it's something that would take me a while
>only mechanic nearby is a place called Silverberg Brothers but whatever
>get the car and bring it back home, problem is fixed
>one month later I change the oil and inspect my vehicle
>what the fuck
>every single part has been replaced by a similar but slightly worse condition part
>jewed out of $5,000 total in the difference of condition
>absolutely no way to prove it
>call the mechanic
>tell him he's jew'd me for the last time
>never go back
GOD DAMN KIKES
>>
>>15117286
>not inspecting before and after
>not worthy of your car, nigger
outjewed and angry
>>
>>15117228
/o/ can do it.
>>
>>15117286
Every part, every parts was just a little... Older. One month older...
>>
>>15110797
Back to /pol/ jidf
>>
nan taking her car in for a service next month, i can only imagine what kind of jewish shit they are going to pull
>>
>>15111354
You do realize when stuck open, the water continues to heat up, the water never stays in the radiator long enough to properly cool down and will eventually get either hotter than normal or overheat, especially in traffic or anything with shit cooling.

>not replacing your thermostat if doing cooling system work
>>
>>15112136
That's not true though. They get it cheaper yes but it's not the cheapest oil. Also they don't pump just any type of oil into your car. Synthetic is actually synthetic sometimes synthetic oil changes take longer because the shop will buy a brand new crate of synthetic oil from a distributor and have them rush it there. Don't talk out of your ass faggot.
>>
>>15113755
Only time I went to a mechanic is when I had them change my alternator. I bought the alternator myself and set it on the seat and told them exactly what I needed done. (I'd do it myself but my alternator is buried under a bunch of components and you need to take the wheel off to take it out).
>>
>>15117928
>sometimes synthetic oil changes take longer because the shop will buy a brand new crate of synthetic oil from a distributor and have them rush it there.

holy shit I can't stop laughing what is wrong with me

>hold the door
;_;
>>
File: 1463656994019.jpg (101 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
1463656994019.jpg
101 KB, 500x501
>>15114369
My friend owns a Taurus and one day he backed out of his garage and tore his mirror off. He got a quote from a dealer and they said they would charge him 200 bucks to replace it. Fuck no. We go to the salvage yard and get a new mirror for 16 bucks and then put it on. Works fine. Though my friend broke it again.

I love salvage yards. Cheap AF. I always go there with my friend and we get stuff we need. Usually I finish getting stuff first so I just find an old Cadillac and sit in its comfortable ass seats till my friend gets done.
>>
Own a bmw 325i 2005. Rear end a guy and broke one of the clips that hold the front bumper. Go to some high end bavarian auto shops that had the best online reviews. Charges 50 for the clip and labor. W/e, too lazy to do it myself. Guy comes back and asks if im ready to drop 2800 bucks. Ask for what, and says that my AC is making a weird hissing noise and it doesnt blow cold air. Will have to take out the whole console to replace the tubing and the air coolant reservoir...
Go to auto parts and buy a can of freon can for 20 bucks. Fill it up, AC runs cold as fuck. Never go to auto shops again. Google and youtube ever since.
>>
>>15118002
But you're gonna have to refill it again because you have a leak
>>
>>15115378
don't trust them one bit.
>Dad's work friend, has shared an office with him for 14 years, runs a car consulting bullshit type deal on the side after he retired, like 5 yrs back
>they still keep in touch
>current car goes LOLHEDGASKET so I'm in the market for a new one
>dad recommends me to friend
>friend tries to talk a bunch of techno mumbo jumbo to scare and impress me
>tries to push me into an 04 Buick Lesabre with 145k miles
>alignment is shot, same with brakes, popping noise during idling, rust underneath, and some kind of leak (think it was oil)
>wants 4,500 for it
you're better off buying 3rd party and taking a gamble or just going straight to dealership. Car warranties are worth their weight in gold.
>>
>>15118036
3 years since and still running cold. The mechanic said nothing about leaks. Just that i needed to change the reservoir because it was empty of freon and he would need to take out the console to replace it with a filled one. And he threw in the tubes because better if all parts are new.
>>
Two things:
I'm a mechanic, or I was, it's a shithouse business to be in because people are morons and don't seem to understand that time is money. And the less their car is worth, the worse they are to deal with
>old guys with rusted out shitheaps on pension money
>divorced middle aged men
>boomers who bring their daughters car in
and worst of all
>people who think they know what they're talking about

Mums who know nothing = perfect customers. Never any complaints or problems.

Second: in Australia, tradesmen complete apprenticeships and schooling before becoming qualified. I'm astounded that doesn't seem to exist in the states.

I'm an average mechanic, and a very good communicator/negotiator, so I end up being the middle man for a lot of people. The stories here notwithstanding, 90% of the complaints I deal with are to do with either a simple miscommunication (because mechanics are aspergers as fuck) or someone trying to do something on the cheap as a favour and it all fucks up.

The solution to half of that is never do half a job - which, I promise, leads to customers never returning, because the guy across the road said he would've done it cheaper.

You can't win.
>>
>>15118087
They only get empty if there's a leak. AC gas takes decades to weep out of the rubber lines.

In Australia, it's illegal to just top up a system, too. If it's empty, you have to find/repair the leak, because emissions laws.
>>
>>15118106
Good to know. Ill check the pressure and look into it. Thanks god im not in australia.
>>
>>15115500

My first reaction is always to go for the cheap simple fix first. It works in most instances, including this one, where I out-jewed the jew.

>>15111186
>>15114747

Regardless of the "water in the exhaust" debate, this guy tried to have me believe that the water he put in the tank to test was seeping through into the exhaust fumes. That's when I thought it was better to take my car back.
>>
>>15118158
>this guy tried to have me believe that the water he put in the tank to test was seeping through into the exhaust fumes

I've definitely seen coolant in the exhaust because of a cracked head/failed headgasket before. And I've used sniffers to detect exhaust fumes in the coolant before.

So it's possible, although it sounds like not the case with your car.
>>
File: 1446574070378.gif (276 KB, 340x444) Image search: [Google]
1446574070378.gif
276 KB, 340x444
Different kind of mechanic jew story.

>Looking for car
>Dad recommends a mechanic friend
>I tell him I can find a good one online
>He insists
>Sure whatever, can't be too bad
>Meet up with said friend
>He pitches me a 1995 Camry
>Engine looks fine, handles okay, A/C cold as fuck
>At this point I've been searching for a car, haven't found a good one in months
>Asks for $3,500
>Whatever, take the money

2 months later

>Going to university
>All is good
>Suddenly BLAM
>Lose power, skid to the side of the road
>Towed back home

The head gasket was utterly fucked beforehand. It blew up because it was overheating, and the temp gauge only went up halfway.

Why did it overheat? The electrical system only turned the radiator fans on when the A/C was on.

Why wasn't it on? The A/C had a leak. The system was cold when I tried it out because he had pumped the thing full of fucking coolant just to sell it to me.

Oh and also the power steering system was about to shatter. My wheels could have locked up at any time while driving. And the electrical system is fucked. Any time I turn the car off I have to disconnect the battery, or else it'll discharge entirely.

Offered it to a used car lot. They wanted to give me $800. I'm stuck with it now.

I haven't seen the guy ever again. Probably for the best. Fucking kike.
>>
>>15117844
>water never stays in the radiator long enough to properly cool down

This is what /o/ actually believes.
>>
>>15118225
>water never stays in the radiator long enough to properly cool down
This is can be a problem if you pull out the thermostat. Or, if you put super short gears in your diff for epic 1/8 mile times and then drive on the highway.

If the thermostat is just stuck open though, that is definitely not going to cause an overheating issue. It's basically in the normal operating position.
>>
>>15118201
Your fault for letting someone talk you into overpaying for an old as fuck car from a private sale.
Assume anything old (let alone an old economy box) is on the verge of breaking, and take a calculated risk to work on negotiating the price WAY down.
>>
>>15118337
Yeah, I guess it is my fault. I just assumed that $3,500 was pretty low (I live in Puerto Rico, the prices here for used cars and car parts are fucking outlandish).
>>
>>15118274
No. More water flow == more hot water into the radiator == more heat transfer from the water to the air == more heat from the engine to the water to the air == cooler engine. What matters is the amount of heat energy removed from the engine. The more heat energy removed from the engine, the cooler it will be.

If you can't wrap your head around that, think of this... If the water is going slow through a radiator and "cooling down properly", the water in the engine is going through slowly, and "heating up properly". The difference between slow and fast is that the cooler water in the slow radiator is at a smaller temperature difference with the air, and will therefore cool more slowly. The water in the engine will be hotter and at a smaller temperature difference from the engine, allowing heat to stay in the engine. Which kills it.

Or google it. Or just don't touch your friends cars, only ruin your own cars.
>>
>>15118376
I understand the logic you used to reach that conclusion, but it's not the whole story. If your water's too fast, you can get cavitation problems, which can definitely cause overheating, and a few other problems as well. My understanding - what I was taught by mechanics, race car builders, engine builders - is that if the water moves through the engine block too fast, it won't transfer heat from the block into the coolant. Then, you stop at the lights, the coolant slows down, and the engine boils over. Or, everything gets hot enough to cause bubbles on contact as you drive, and the water pump cavitates.
You can't just keep increasing the coolant speed without causing problems, just like you can't keep decreasing it without causing problems.
If your standard thermostat/radiator/water pump can't get rid of the extra heat your sick mods are generating, you need to improve your hardware. Just pulling out the thermostat won't fix the problem, although the increased warm-up time might hide it for a while.
>>
>>15118106
>In Australia, it's illegal to just top up a system, too. If it's empty, you have to find/repair the leak, because emissions laws.

Freon/halocarbons are really fucking shitty for the atmosphere
>>
>>15118201
How does power steering shatter and lock the wheels?
>>
>>15117228
You just gave me lexus oil filter ptsd. fuck you.
>>
I have a cool mechanics story, it was a year or 2 ago.

>dont want to change my own master cylnder because im a pussy
>mechanic is a middle aged man who my dad met when he still worked
>i go to his shop
>OH YOUR JOHNS SON, NICE TO MEET YOU
>he asks me whats wrong
>OH IT WILL BE DONE FRIDAY, NICE CAR, YOUR FATHER WAS TALKING ABOUT IT
>I look behind him to see a gasser being worked on
>he says it runs 9s
>thanks ill pick it up Friday
>i come back 2 days alter
>we talk for about an hour
>Im about to leave
>HEY, DO A BURN OUT, I OWN THIS LAND ITS OK
>I burn rubber for a couple seconds
>he has the biggest belly laugh you have ever seen

There are cool mechanics, just find the ones with the project cars on the lift.
>>
>>15118796
No anon.
WE ARE TRYING TO BE ANGRY
>>
>>15118968

We hate everything and everyone. Don't ruin it, Anon.
>>
>>15111391

Went to jiffy lube once. before a service.

>greentext so people will read.

>They stripped my oil pan bolt, didn't tell me, and I found out 2000 miles away in Michigan when oil flooded the driveway of my wife's parents house.

>They then said "We have no evidence of you ever having your car with us"

Still using one of the little thumb-screw universal plugs because it still isn't leaking 20,000 miles later.
>>
>>15119201
>"We have no evidence of you ever having your car with us"
basically a license to burn the place down i reckon mate
>>
>>15119201
>>15119205
The reason JiffyLube stays in business despite doing all the crooked dealings is that the general public doesn't get to see the really negative reviews. Jiffylube lawyers up on places like YELP and because you don't have proof, your review of jiffylube being crooked is deleted as being untrue trolling. Except for places like 4chan, I don't read about Jiffylube being anything other than an okay place. Forum sites that require registration will get those "jiffylube is dishonest" posts removed due to lawyer letter action and the mods will simply delete a lot of those posts automatically.
>>
>>15115700
>Come back later on and take car
>>Something like $150
>>Car starts to shudder aggressively while driving down highway
>>Pull the fuck over and check around
>>Tyres are OK, wheels are OK, suspension seems OK
>>Can't figure it out
>>Decide to check lugs just in case
>>No way they'll be the problem
>>Can easily tighten
That dude looks like my dad/Mel Fucking Gibson
>>
>>15110945
Don't hate on my rusty c10 please senpai
>>
>>15119325

I'm the anon with the drain plug. I'm also a former forum admin and in a career where I deal with law pretty regularly.

Wish I had been given the opportunity to fight one of those orders.
>>
>>15119335
The fuck is wrong with the 4chan quote mechanism? I didn't click that post to quote it.
>>
>>15114136
>They see this endless stream of customers not as people, but as wallets walking in the door.

Isn't this the foundation of American culture?
>>
>but someone later told me they can find that really quick with a scan tool or something.
>short circuit
>find with a scan tool
No. That's just not how that shit works.
>>
>>15115000
>not changing water pump with timing belt
>not flushing coolant with the coolant system open
>>
>>15115658
Shop I worked at do battery tests with every oil change. If the test comes back that your battery is ass, we just gave you the slip and suggested getting a battery at some point in the future.
>>
>>15115658
They probably meant the battery wasn't putting out enough amps. Most handheld testers will check voltage and the battery's CCA - Cold Cranking Amps.

You can have a battery with a good charge - anywhere from 12 - 13 Volts - but because of poor cell condition or low electrolyte level, it'll be 'half dead' or worse because it's putting out nowhere near the amps it's rated for.
>>
i was told leaving a battery on concrete turns it into shit and i basically have to throw the battery out after i do that
where the fuck do people come up with this crap?
>>
>>15118093
>The solution to half of that is never do half a job - which, I promise, leads to customers never returning, because the guy across the road said he would've done it cheaper.
>You can't win.

this.
>>
>>15112217
What car?
>>
>>15119325
I basically ignore all those services like Yelp or BBB now, they're a crock
Read through a bunch of complaints on a much hated business once for fun (which of course still had a top rating despite pages and pages of complaints), and it was shit like
>I ordered X thing brand new, and when it arrived it obviously was not new
>No you're wrong it's new
>BUSINESS ATTEMPTED TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE
>>
>>15118564
Not quite. If it's leaking you legally have to drain the system and not put any gas in until the leak is repaired. If it's already leaked until completely empty, then you don't have to do a damn thing, as long as you don't try and put more gas in it.

And fuck, >>15119451 was meant for >>15109987
>>
File: 1455799061137.png (1 MB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1455799061137.png
1 MB, 690x460
I don't touch mechanics unless they're specialized in my car's brand and have concrete history and reputation among enthusiasts. That's also why I do all of my own work, because I can't afford those guys.
>>
>>15119583
>unless they're specialized in my car's brand
I mean, unless you own a vintage, have some rare as fuck brand for your country or own a car from a manufacturer that's been dead for a while, you're just asking to get charged more for 'specialist' services when in reality, modern cars are similar enough and have enough documentation that repairing or working on them is straightforward regardless of brand.

Finding a reputable one that won't try to sell you on bullshit or do a poor quality repair is the trick, though.
>>
>>15117044
Doing God's work you doubles rocking cyka
>>
>>15119571
Out of curiosity, I went to the page again for the business (Bud's Gun Shop)
>193 complaints
>40 of them are resolved to the customer's satisfaction
>A+ rating
>Remaining ~75% the customer is not satisfied, shit like "I ordered X and when it arrived it was a cheaper ($100+) version" "We can give you a $25 credit"
Fucking classic
>>
>>15119554
That's true, or leaving on earth. Put it on wood
>>
>Had a rattle in the exhaust, mate with the same model car tells me the issue (divider in the downpipe likes to break off at one of the welds, didn't have the tools or the time to fix it myself)
>Take it to the mechanic down the road from work after co-workers tell me "HES GUD", needed an oil change and a couple other minor things done at the time but didn't have the time
>Tell him the issue
>Get the car back that afternoon
>"Yeah mate, it wasn't what you said it was, your catalytic converter is shot, $1150 to replace it"
Lolwut?
>"Yeah nah mate, it's not the divider, it's your cat"
Fuckin dodgy cunt

>Order a cat online for $125
>Decide to do the exhaust from the downpipe back, $500 for a Redback system
>Order one off a seller in Sydney, he calls me up and tells me that even though his system said there was one in stock, he had none. The manufactures Sydney warehouse had none too, but their warehouse in my state had one
>Organises for to to be same day couriered to me. Have a chat to him about what i'm doing, tell him I told it to the mechanics down the road and they wanted $1150 just for a cat when I knew it was the divider
>Agrees 100%, and ends up finding an old downpipe, takes photos of it including the steps in order to take the divider out and e-mails them to me (Top bloke)

Took it all to the Vietnamese bloke across the road who also owned a shop, $350 later and he not only replaced the factory exhaust with the Redback, Welded the flanges on the cat and bolted that up, and cut the divider out. Also left it on the hoist so I could inspect it when he was done.
Less than $1k later and I had a brand new Zorst.

Also found out ol' dodgy Catalytic Cunt-verter stole my sunglasses and an piece of shit broken iPod nano I had in my glove box.
>>
File: 1462363607066-o.jpg (49 KB, 552x446) Image search: [Google]
1462363607066-o.jpg
49 KB, 552x446
>>15114714
>>
nice mechanic story to balance the thread
>tell nan one of her clutch cylinders is going to shit
>huh what cylinder you bought spark plugs the other week right
>ok
>weeks later her clutch master cyl just dies in the middle of an intersection
>manages to limp the car to my mums work to pick her up
>across the road from there is a small mechanic garage
>my mum knew the guy who owned the garage because the diesel van they use at her work gets serviced there
>guy puts in a new master cylinder
>nan dead broke until she gets paid (about a week from then)
>guy lets her drive off with the car and pay next week
seemed like a nice guy, new part was 160 bucks but i've never bought a clutch cylinder before so i dont know if thats a rip off or not
>>
>>15119734
>Also found out ol' dodgy Catalytic Cunt-verter stole my sunglasses and an piece of shit broken iPod nano I had in my glove box.

Lots of people steal if they have the chance to do so. It's justifiable to them because they use the reasoning that if they don't steal from you, someone else will. So since you are going to lose it anyways, they might as well profit from that instead of letting someone else profit.
>>
>>15111419
Where you at? I've got van parts
>>
>>15111391
Yeah same, those fucking idiots rotated my tires without me wanting it and they put my tires on backwards
>>
>>15119539
I know how the tests work, and I know that if it were really "half-dead" it would either mean it wasn't charging fully or that cells were dead.

But the fact that he couldn't explain what he meant, wouldn't show me the test, wouldn't even show me to who tested it.. Really obvious that he was just trying to sell a battery that I didn't need.

I also replaced it at the beginning of last summer so I doubt it would be gone already since my charging system is fine, but that wasn't the tip off that he was trying to scam me. Then it was confirmed by the manager when he also couldn't explain what this douchenozzle was doing.
>>
>>15120273
>stabs a man to death for no justifiable reason
>"well someone could have killed him all the time and could have now so I just decided to kill him to spare the misery of some other bloke doing so"
>>
>visit shop to balance some new tires on my bbs style 5s
>dumbass mechanic glues weights on the outside lip
>tell manager
>"That's normal, big wheels like that (17"rim, 8" wide) are so hard to balance!!!"
>>
>>15120758

I guess that retarded mindset is what makes people criminals in the first place.
>>
>>15111419
probably stripped the case threads
grease monkeys don't touch my cars--or vans
>>
File: 1458592022961.jpg (34 KB, 749x283) Image search: [Google]
1458592022961.jpg
34 KB, 749x283
>>15113178
>>
>>15113178
Did you get a blind gypsy to do this mechanical work? Holy fuck Anon.
>>
>>15120273
That logic works with dodgy shit like buying foreclosed / repossessed property and vehicles at auction, running high interest payday loan and car title loan businesses, and porn websites because that property / vehicles will just be bought by someone else if you don't buy it, ignorant poor people will just go to another shaisty short term lender if you don't lend them money, and people would just jerk off to a skinny coke-whore getting gangbanged by a room full of black bulls on another website if you weren't running one.

There is no guarantee that you will ever have your shit stolen out of your car by anyone else so they can't really justify it by saying, "oh well it was bound to happen to them eventually, I'll just take some of his shit while I'm supposed to be doing my job."

I don't think people try to justify stealing like that to be honest, I just think that they feel like if they can get away with something then there's no reason they shouldn't do it.
>>
>>15119945
Eh, it depends on the vehicle really. I can buy a new one for a Ford F150 for around $60, depending on the brand, and a new one for a BMW 528 can be up to $200 from a parts store in my area.
>>
>>15120581
>put tires on backwards

What?
>>
>>15112738
Is there a legal issue with openly spreading the word about a business's disreputable practices? As in, openly protesting, putting up fliers, telling locals etc.?
>>
>>15121325
A lot of higher-end tires have treads that are directional.
You can't simply put them on willy-nilly, or else the tire won't grip right, because you're not getting the compound meant to be on the leading edge of the tire on the leading edge.
That and it'll just look fucking dumb.
>>
>>15121325
Probably directional tires put on the opposite direction.

Anyway, this was before I knew about cars and was a huge ricer.

>2002 Acura RSX base model, giant wing, fart can catback, injen cold air
>Mom borrows car for a few days because hers was getting a major service
>When she gets her car back she offers to get mine serviced at the dealership for letting her use it
>Surewhynot.jpg
>Coolant, brake, power steering and transmission flush, pad slap on the front and rear, along with a fucked up motor mount
>All's fine and dandy
>4500 miles later, get an oil change at Lamb's Auto
>"Well, we looked over all your fluids and they're all very dirty. Here's what it would be to do everything"
>Over $1200
>Pissed off, make my way through their shop door and fetch the dealership receipt out of the glovebox
>"All this shit just got done"
>"Oh, we're sorry, we mixed your car up with another"
>RO:######## ACURA RSX 2002 BASE
>Point out repair order has my exact make, model and color
>Every other car in the shop is either a GM SUV or luxury car
>Stomp back into the waiting room all pissed off, everyone staring at me
>Pay for my shit service and take my page full of recommendations

Fuck you, Lamb's.
>>
>>15121427
>>15121429

Huh, I didn't know that. I know that my motorcycle tires are directional but I don't think any of my car or truck tires have ever been directional.
>>
>>15121458
imo they're a huge waste of money. Sure they look cool but properly rotating them and moving them around sometimes requires you to dismount and re-mount the tire. Some places will charge you out the dick for that sort of shit. Little mexican places with scary ass dudes who mount a tire in fifteen seconds with the use of demon magic usually do it for like, $15
>>
>>15112738
>modern world
>good health is a part of daily life for everyone
>doctors who just prescribe pills to rush patients out get begrudgingly accepted as part of life
>>
>>15121493
That's so much worse than the average lifespan being 30
>>
Also, from being a technician at a dealership I will say that we will clean off oil leaks from cars under warranty. It's a shitty, shady business.
>>
>>15113755
Knowledge isn't the main issue. Equipment and space are. If I had a garage with a car lift and an engine lift, I'd probably never go to a mechanic again.
>>
>>15112250
my dad is a mechanic and him and his friends have had multiple cars with burned engines from that shit cheap chinese oil he's taking about. Has a distinctive smell when that happens, apparently.
>>
File: 1325407065923.jpg (42 KB, 600x374) Image search: [Google]
1325407065923.jpg
42 KB, 600x374
>>15114557
>ebay control arms
>ebay balljoints
>ebay tie rod ends
nigger
>>
>>15121672
Hey, they worked fine, the ball joints and everything had grease fittings on them so I can keep them topped off with grease, control arms were heavy steel instead of aluminum (or some other really light alloy) like the OEM ones were... Threaded studs and nuts were all stainless.
>>
>>15117983
>My friend owns a Taurus

Let your friend know I really feel sorry for him
>>
>>15118087
literally none of that made sense.
>"my radiator is empty so I have to replace it with one full of antifreeze"
>>
>>15121727
>control arms were heavy steel
that makes no difference if the metallurgy is trash
china has the capacity to make very good items if they wanted, but they habitually use shitty metal imported from all over the world that they don't refine properly. I wouldn't get a chinese steering component because i don't want anything snapping while I'm on the road or shitting out early and necessitating another day+ of work
Why would you not just buy Moog and never have to fuck with steering components for a decade? Plus they've got a lifetime warranty iirc
>>
>>15121794
I probably will do some more research into it the next time I do a front end job. It doesn't really matter anymore though, that vehicle got rear ended and totalled a couple of months ago so I'll never have to worry about any of those components failing on me. The only things that were actually going to wear out were all the ball joints anyway, seeing how the OEM ones only lasted ~100k miles or so I figured the chinese ones would probably get me by for a few years at least seeing as I only drive a 4 wheeled vehicle maybe 6k miles a year.
>>
its funny people are treated this way never happens to me so it must just be beacause women
>>
File: Hello Kitty by Kotex.jpg (36 KB, 520x433) Image search: [Google]
Hello Kitty by Kotex.jpg
36 KB, 520x433
>>15117286
>>get the car and bring it back home, problem is fixed
>>one month later I change the oil and inspect my vehicle
>>every single part has been replaced by a similar but slightly worse condition part
>>jewed out of $5,000 total in the difference of condition

Why should the service center pay for parts to sell to the next customer? Instead, SHARING IS CARING. They go to the junkyard, get a bunch of parts from cars that are likely to sell, and then exchange those junkyard parts with any future customers in their shop.

Thus, anyone with a nice car that comes into the shop is not only a wallet on legs, but also a parts box on wheels that they can swap their junkyard parts for the new nicely maintained parts.

Sorry, our employee got sick, so your car repair takes another 2 days. If you hear that, maybe they got greedy and are swapping out something bigger after they file off the serial number of course. Thank you for sharing your fresh cam! We will sell it to the next customer! Sharing is caring!
>>
>>15121411
Absolutely not at all
>>
>>15121411
>>15121954
You have to be able to back up your claims with hard evidence though or you could be looking at a defamation / slander / libel lawsuit though.
>>
Motorcycle story but you'll like it:

>decide to sell my bike
>find a buyer, tell him I'll inspect it (Maryland safety inspection without which you can't register vehicles)
>ask buyer if he has any preference regarding inspection shops
>tells me about one
>go there
>mechanic starts the inspection and for the whole time keeps saying

I'm not allowed to fail you for this but you still have to change it

>for almost EVERY FUCKING THING on the list
>including stuff not on the list
>he finally finds a problem (for which to fail the bike):

front brake pads

>they're metal on metal man, you can't ride like that
>leave the bike here and I'll fix it by tomorrow
>decline respectfully, go home, order set off Amazon, get them next day, start working on the bike

FFFFUUUUCCCCKKKK!!!

>4 pads on the front
>most worn out is 1/3 of new
>least worn out is 2/3 of new
>>
>>15111434

brings me to a story about firestone

>bring car in for alignment
>can't align car in rear need control arms and trailing arms
>quote me literally $1500 to fix
>not even $100 in parts

no thanks left and replaced them at a DEALERSHIP(i didn't want to deal with the stuck bolts) got all that replaced with parts cost $200

>go back to firestone because i paid for lifetime alignment
>align car
>STILL NEGATIVE CAMBER IN REAR WHEEL
>factory doesn't specify the camber for the rear its fine

how hard is it to get the fucking wheels straight?

>go into another firestone
>"oh that firestone has a bunch of retards we will fix it"
>literally 20 min later car is perfectly aligned
>you're going to need new tires in the rear

ugh
>>
>>15121891
>its funny people are treated this way never happens to me so it must just be beacause women

Probably because your state has an attorney general that is interested in consumer affairs and thus spends budget on doing "sting" operations where the bait car is sent to shops that have complaints from consumers. If the shop tries to scam the the attorney general, they get prosecuted. The word gets out and the scammer shops don't risk a scam unless the victim look like a sure win.
>>
>>15112121

> jew York
the inspections are the worst here and i don't even live in the city. and lets not forget about the cops. I think i get pulled over so regularly they have to know me by name now and i've never even gotten a ticket. They just harass me trying to find something wrong.
>>
>>15121542
that has nothing to do with lifespan
>>
>>15121599
yeah, if I had an OR and unlimited access to pharmaceuticals I'd never go to a doctor again.
>>
>>15118528
>if the water moves through the engine block too fast, it won't transfer heat from the block into the coolant
heat transfer scales linearly with mass flow rate
mass flow rate scales linearly with fluid velocity
>>
>>15122006
>grow up in small town East Texas
>friend gets on bad side of local state trooper somehow
>state trooper ends up pulling friend over whenever he sees him and giving him tickets for shit like going 2 MPH over speed limit, window tint, failure to use turn signals, etc
>literally just makes shit up half the time
>friend gets so many tickets over the course of 2 years during high school that he almost loses his driver's license
>friend graduates high school and wants to become fire fighter
>applies to fire academy, gets rejected because of too many traffic violations
>friend talks to lawyer, lawyer looks into it and tells friend that he'll probably never be able to become a fire fighter in Texas, if he really wants to fight fires then he'll have to go to another state where they don't refuse people based on traffic tickets

That state trooper was a dick to EVERYONE I know that ever got pulled over by him, I got a speeding ticket in the middle of nowhere on a rural county road from him because he was hiding off the road on a section of road that has a gigantic hill and then goes straight for like 1 mile and he clocked me going 5 MPH over the speed limit as I was coasting down the hill.
>>
>>15122050
Well, you can't really operate on yourself very easily but if you had the right equipment you COULD work on your own vehicle just as easily as anyone else can.
>>
>>15122068
Local law enforcement around here is the fucking worst. It's all a racket to raise money. Smith county is one of the most corrupt places in the entire state.
>tfw I have 18 traffic tickets on my record
>>
not quite a mechanic story, but whatever
>grandma who has fucking Alzheimer's takes her old lexus to dealership to buy a new car on her own
>salesman pitches shitty old chevy with no ABS
>"you need a car without ABS, otherwise you'll stop too fast and get rear ended"
>grandma almost falls for it, but calls first

she ended up leasing a new altima
>>
>>15119457
Its ok man. He'll be back to pay the 5hr labor again
>>
>>15119554
Supposedly if you leave it in the ground for an extended period of time it will ground it's self to the earth causing it to discharge. Don't know how true it is but if its on the ground while you take the old battery out it'll be fine.
>>
>>15122085
right, and if I had the right kind of laptop I could write novels just as easily as anyone else can
>>
Same at my dealer.
>2015 civic
>about 16k on it
>comes in for oil change and rotate
>during inspection find that timing chain tensioner cover is starting to leak oil
>tell service advisor
>"clean it off, don't mention it on the R.O. we don't upsell warranty work."
Sucks. Right now I'd be happy booking warranty time than no time.
>>
>>15121783
Yea didn't really make sense too me either. To me its either really doesn't know jack shit about cars or just made everything up. Like alot of these stories.
>>
>>15122369
Are you saying that you don't know how to rebuild or swap an engine or transmission? Are you saying that you're incapable of learning how to do that with all of the free resources we have available online and with paid resources like service manuals that are also available? I really don't know what point you're trying to get across here.

You can't perform a medical operation on yourself while you're under anesthesia no matter what resources you have available to yourself. Buying a laptop won't allow you to write a bestselling novel without the right amount of talent and a good story. With a garage full of tools (and the knowledge on how to use those tools, a car lift, and an engine hoist you'll be able to do pretty much any mechanical repair that is necessary for a vehicle though.
>>
>>15122170
Reminds me
>Friend of mine hires somebody to take care of his 90-something year old grandma with severe dementia
>He immediately proceeds to make her withdraw cash from her bank account to take all the time
>By the time they caught on he'd stolen like $15,000 from her
>He couldn't be prosecuted for it because of some legal bullshittery
All of my rage
>>
>>15122038
That was a terrible analogy and you know it, stfu.
Modern medicine is the reason human lifespans are over 30.
>Inb4 anything, there is literally no fucking argument. You might mention something you think isn't related but plays an important role, like nutrition, guess what?

Nutrition plays an important factor, but guess what? Modern medicine is the reason that we now eat higher quality food. We know not to eat shitty things, we know how to treat/preserve food and not make people sick, we know how to prevent bacterial strains from spreading through our supermarkets, and to put a best before date on everything.
Before you suggest environment, have a think about water treatment plants, sewers, toilets, toilet cleaners, showers, soap.

EVERYTHING that has impacted human lifespan from medieval times has been the result of modern (and less modern) medicine.
>>
>>15122708
Sounds like he has the cash to afford a firebombed living room
>>
>>15122747
Hurr de fucking durr, the average lifespan meter is primarily influenced by child and youth mortality. Most people who make it to 25 years age make it to 70 years age. In the past that just was a lot less prevalent because lmao children dying left and right.
>>
>>15122068
>>15122085
you guys arent doing it right, I live in fucking god damn Virginia and I still have a perfect driving record, i'm not going to lie my marine corps license plates have gotten me out of probably every single one of them, I would suggest maybe putting an EGA sticker on your car and saying you're brother is deployed atm and you're supporting him.
>>
>>15119656
>using buds bait shop

I feel bad for the newer firearm enthusiasts who look up to hickok and assume that since he is sponsored by them they must be a good company
>>
>>15123013
Well, I've gotten 2 speeding tickets in 12 years of driving. The first one was, as mentioned before, going 5mph over the speed limit on a rural road in the middle of nowhere while coasting down a bigass hill. The 2nd one was last year.. The main water line to my house had blown out and I had spent 3 hours digging my yard up looking for the break, then went to Home Depot to buy supplies to fix the water line and got pulled over for speeding on my way back from Home Depot. I wasn't paying attention to my speed because I was exhausted, covered in mud, and was just thinking about getting back home and fixing the water line so I could finally wash off and take a shower. It wasn't too bad because I just had to pay the fine and an additional $25 to the county to keep that ticket off my driving record, didn't even have to take defensive driving or anything.

I've been pulled over a few other times for random shit and haven't gotten tickets aside from those two instances. I don't really feel the need to put stickers on my vehicle and lie about relatives being deployed in the military or anything.
>>
>>15108115
>be person
>need oil change
>so inconvenient
>pay for shop to do oil change
>costs more than doing it myself
>be next day
>bald ass tires that i never got aligned explodes
>its mechanicfags fault
>cucked x2 by mechanic
>>
>>15122458
Your point about talent writing novels also applies to car work. Some people just suck at working on cars. Accept it friendo.
>>
Didn't read the thread, but I bet half the posters are experts that know everything yet still don't do their own work for some reason. If you think you are being scammed you most likely aren't, if you think you aren't you probably are.
>>
>>15123943
True, but the mental capacity, skill, and knowledge required to be a competent mechanic is much less than what is required of surgeons, pharmacists, or best selling authors.

I've done lots of work on my own vehicles.. I've completely torn down a couple of motorcycle engines and rebuilt them, I've done front end work, replaced belts, alternators, water pumps, radiators, have torn down two 6.0 powerstroke engines and replaced HPOP, oil cooler, FICM, done an EGR delete, replaced injectors....... I've done all that shit without a car lift or an engine hoist but there are some things that simply cannot be done with those things. I can truthfully say that I wouldn't ever take my vehicle to a mechanic if I just had 2x as much garage space and a few other critical pieces of equipment.
>>
>>15123970
didnt read your post lol
>>
>>15123013
Welfare queen
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.