[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Facebook’s new DeepText AI categorizes everything you write
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
http://techcrunch.com/2016/06/01/facebook-deep-text/

>If Facebook knows what your status update is about, it can show it to people who care about that topic. If it understands the difference between “I just got out of the taxi” and “I need a ride” messages, it can ask if you want an Uber. If it detects that you’re trying to sell something in a status update, it can automatically format post with the price and item details. And if Facebook can determine what kinds of comments on celebrities’ posts are interesting and not just “OH MY GOSH I LOVE YOU”, it can surface ones you’ll actually want to read.

>These are the big applications for Facebook’s newest artificial intelligence system called “DeepText”. 400,000 new stories and 125,000 comments on public posts are shared every minute on Facebook. DeepText will help Facebook analyze several thousand per second across 20 languages with near-human accuracy
>>
>One of the first obvious applications for DeepText will start rolling on Messenger. When DeepText identifies a sentence it thinks means you need a ride, it will suggest you use Messenger transportation integrations with services like Uber and Lyft. Recognizing “I need a ride” is easy, but it should also be able to pick up on things like “Should I call a car?”, “I can pick you up in 20”, or “I’ll get an Uber”.

>Facebook explains that “to get closer to how humans understand text, we need to teach the computer to understand things like slang and word-sense disambiguation. As an example, if someone says, “I like blackberry,” does that mean the fruit or the device?”

>Of course, the privacy implications might rattle some people. Facebook is now highlighting that it scans the content of your private messages — something that made Facebook the target of a class-action lawsuit in the past.
>>
>But at the same time DeepText could help Facebook weed out harassment and abuse. If it can automatically pick out hate speech from status updates that merely contain controversial terms, it could prevent a human from ever suffering the harassment and having to report it manually. Facebook already says that its AI systems report more offensive photos than humans on its social network.

>With DeepText and its other image recognition AIs, Facebook could make huge improvements in how it routes content from authors to viewers. That could give it a leg-up over other social networks like Snapchat or Twitter without the know-how or product design to aggressively filter and suggest what people see.

>The gap between the AI haves and have-nots is widening. If every News Feed post looks interesting, you’ll spend more time on Facebook, you’ll share more text there, DeepText will get smarter, and the Facebook AI feedback wheel will spin faster and faster towards becoming the perfect content recommendation engine.
>>
semi-related:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/31/mark-zuckerbergs-ai-takes-over-facebook-technology/

Also, beware of facebook subsidiaries like instagram

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Facebook
>>
Guess I won't be operating my meth business of Facebook anymore
>>
Every news site and news blog on the internet with a facebook comments plugin is affected by this. The AI is taking over the mod duties from actual humans and is making notes about every users habits over multiple devices.
>>
Man facebook is just asking to be dropped by this stage.
>>
I didnt realise there was a /news/ board on 4chan.
>>
>>47363
I am in control, HAL
>>
>>47368
It's about 6 months old now.

>>47363
There are tens of thousands of normie sites like this use the facebook comment plugin:
http://1701news.com/node/1209/treks-prime-universe-closed-business.html
>>
>But at the same time DeepText could help Facebook weed out harassment and abuse.

I DEMAND TO KNOW WHY IS POL ALWAYS RIGHT
>>
>>47358
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Facebook

thanks for the reminder
banned them all with Adblock Plus and PeerBlock
>>
>>47449

on YouNow I've just blocked stuff like halograph, braintreegateway, onesignal...
all this on top of a shit ton of other filters I already have in place

the Internet is becoming a scaring place
>>
>>47429
Shut up goy.
>>
>Having a Facebook
>>
>>47367
wait...wat? people still think?
>>
>>47501
this this this this this this.
Stop moaning about a service you willing slave over day in day out. Deactivate your account and kill your selves.

And no, I don't care if the normies use it, they're fucking idiots.
>>
>>50259
I mean really if you need to stay in touch with your friends -- if you have any -- over long distances, agree on some sort of messaging programs, there are loads of them.

Off the top of my head there is:
SMS, or texting with a phone. Probably one of the easiest options.
Mumble, Teamspeak, ect.
Steam and other instant messaging applications
Email, there are a few ones that are free and do not search data. This one has the advantages of texting in that older messages are saved between sessions, unlike instant messaging or voicing. Unfortunately email is not too popular with younger people.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.