[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bbg/ - Bike buying General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 53
File: bbg.jpg (32 KB, 250x340) Image search: [Google]
bbg.jpg
32 KB, 250x340
I just want to say I hate every one of you low balling tire kicking flakes that have nothing better to do than waste people's time.
>>
File: Winneng.png (29 KB, 161x205) Image search: [Google]
Winneng.png
29 KB, 161x205
>>929191
>I just want to say

Don't beat around the bush- just say it. Trim off the fat and I'll consider your post.
>>
File: pusheen burger.gif (53 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
pusheen burger.gif
53 KB, 375x375
Posting in a tasty jew bread
>>
File: jewbike.jpg (111 KB, 970x718) Image search: [Google]
jewbike.jpg
111 KB, 970x718
"Oi vey Mordecai, can you believe that faggot wanted tree fiddy?"
>>
Lets say sub $300 platform to get me going, upgradeable in future for beginning off road riding. Dont see myself commuting, want to get back into bicycles, all mine got stole
>>
>>929271
Oh yeah, im 6' 4"
>>
Is there a place I can go to learn about all the different components and the differences between them? I haven't got a clue. Line an online training course on how to DIY bike repairs?
>>
>>929292
Like*
>>
>>929292

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
>>
>>929298
Sweet. What about a chart comparing all the different components and brands?
>>
What's the best online retailer for tires and tubes?
>>
I'm picking up a used 2011 Ridley Orion this weekend for a pretty good price. It's not too old, but what should I be looking for to make sure it's in good shape? I know specifically the rims and the bottom bracket and the chassis particularity
>>
I'm looking to get a commuter bike, about four miles and back each day. I need room for a rack. Budget is $800. What are my options?
>>
>>929380
With $800 you have lots of options, to help narrow down some more...
Will you be commuting through winter (assuming you have actual winter weather? Will you be locking up outside at your destination or bringing it inside? Purely road usage or mixed surfaces?
>>
>>929384
-I'm in upstate NY so I would like to be able to handle snow, yes.
-I'd keep it in my apartment most of the time, but when I'm at class/work I would likely have to leave it outside.
-Roads and sidewalks, that's it.

Thank you for helping me out.
>>
>>929388
I'd go with something like these
jensonusa.com/Commuter-Urban-Bikes/Charge-Bikes-Grater-3-Bike-2015
jensonusa.com/Commuter-Urban-Bikes/Diamondback-Haanjo-Tero-Bike-2016
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/zilla.htm
plus rack and fenders

You could also see what your local shop has to offer
>>
File: groupo equiv 1.jpg (29 KB, 610x364) Image search: [Google]
groupo equiv 1.jpg
29 KB, 610x364
>>929300

what you ask for is contentious.

the truth lies somewhere between these 2, and no doubt some faggot will decry both as wrong within a few posts, but this'll get you in the ballpark

1/2
>>
File: groupo equiv 2.png (71 KB, 607x309) Image search: [Google]
groupo equiv 2.png
71 KB, 607x309
>>929300
>>929394

2/2
further confusing the issue, as materials and tech get better, the new cheap stuff is as good as the higher tier models were in the past

i.e. new tiagra is as good as 80s or 90s 105. or something like that, anyway.
>>
>>929399

for the record, the conse/n/sus over the years is that 105 is where performance tops out. the models above it perform as well but give a better weight savings
>>
>>929401
>above

agh, I mean above in price, which are depicted as lower on the chart

i.e. best/expensive stuff is at the bottom of these charts.
>>
File: bike.gif (994 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
bike.gif
994 KB, 2000x1333
My choice of cyclocross bike came down to Rose Pro DX Cross-2000 and Giant TCX SLR
I am leaning towards the Rose bike. It will be my first bike after not riding for years, when I used a MTB so I am trying to be thorough choosing.
It seems to me that the difference between them is small but since I am new to this I would like to hear your opinion.

My reasons for getting the Rose
>pro
color, more fender options, standard seat stay, customizable,
>contra
more interesting top tube, higher weight limit, longer warranty, trp spyre instead of avid bb7

Any thoughts on that or advice before purchasing?
>>
File: 9100.jpg (110 KB, 621x627) Image search: [Google]
9100.jpg
110 KB, 621x627
>>929401
The exception to that is when Shimano is doing their rolling upgrades, so you get occasional years where DA has features that Ultegra and 105 don't. I was going to say "demonstrably better" but then I remembered 7900.

Kinda makes me wonder what DA9100 is going to have. Pic related is supposedly the rear mech and crank from a bike with 9100. Looks a lot like XTR though. Maybe they're going to start pitching 1x for CX like SRAM is?

>>929407
Yeah those charts are weird. Why would you put the top-tier stuff at the bottom?
>>
>>929399

I've ridden bikes with all three top-tier gruppos. Dura-Ace is the smoothest, Sram was the fastest and lightest IMO, Campag was overpriced, clunky and didn't really suit me with their hood design.
>>
>>929399
>>929394
So is it safe to say that a $2000 bike will have better components than a $1000 bike? I know that's probably not the case in every situation, but I just need something to go off of. Like rock shox are on every bike I've been looking at, where as 10 years ago they weren't as good as Marzocchi, so I should assume that Rock Shox got a big upgrade a few years ago? Or are the bike companies just being cheap?
>>
>>929553
avoid avid BB7 when you can get spyre's as spyres offer better braking due to being twin piston, rather than single.
>>
File: Untitled.png (887 KB, 1904x644) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
887 KB, 1904x644
is it worth spending £500 more for sram hydro brakes and an american classic wheelset, over an own brand wheel set and TRP HY/DR brakes
>>
>>929619
Hydro brakes rock. I'd go for it.
>>
File: 12-flite-100.jpg (116 KB, 1200x740) Image search: [Google]
12-flite-100.jpg
116 KB, 1200x740
Should I pick this up? Reynolds 520 frame, stock config (basically all noname parts except KMC chain, kek). I figure at least the frame is alright, miles ahead than all the purefix crap that's out there. The rest of the parts I can gradually change. I mean I see these frames with Omniums and whatnot. What would be a fair price for a used 2012 model?
>>
>>929646
Isn't that the same frame as a Kilo TT?
>>
>>929667
Apparently it is.
>>
How much would this cost to repair?
Assuming it's a good first bike for ~£100?
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/carrera-crossfire-top-spec-with-rock-show-forks-gold-calpers/1157747451
>>
>>929912
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-crossfire-2-mens-hybrid-bike-2015

This is what you're looking at. A 300-400 quid hybrid with pretty entry level components and probably extraneous shocks on the front.

The rear derailleur (SHIMANO ALTUS RD-M280) can be had for 10 quid, whether you pay an LBS to fix it up or figure out how to do it yourself is your call. Assuming it's the actual derailleur and not the hanger. Specs say it's "direct mount", I don't personally know what that means for a derailleur.

Personally if you're new to riding I'd look for something that's actually intact, unless it's really slim pickings.
>>
>>929646
Can't stop, don't want to.
>>
>>929916
I have plenty of other bikes, wanna try something new. As much as I hate the "culture", I think I'm finally gonna cave in.
>>
>>929915
Cheers mate.
Didn't notice the hybrid bit!
I'm on the lookout for something for £150 tops basically.
Seems like there are a few carrera kraken and vulcans around that seem quite reasonable (secondhand). Also keeping an eye out for random other older but higher spec bikes. Any tips?
I'm doing things like filtering for hydraulic brakes or rockshox forks to try and find the "decent" bikes
>>
>>929972
The only thing you're filtering out is bikes without horrible damage or questionable background that makes the "owner" sell them well below their usual value. No free lunches.

>I'm on the lookout for something
Unless you specify what something is, no-one can help you even work out if your expectations are reasonable - or even possible.
>>
>>929956
No you don't
>>
>>929977
I don't what?
>>
>>929975
Haha sorry should have been more specific.
I'm looking to get a beginners hardtail. At the moment I don't ride at all, so just getting started.
I'm south Wales based so eventually want to try some of the beginner trails at bike Park Wales etc as they are close. Also just general riding to shops, riding local fields etc.
I'm 5'11 height, in my twenties and out of shape if that help.
>>
>>929982
You're not getting a meaningfull hardtail for anything resembling £150. Get real and triple the money.
Mountainbikes are expensive.

Look at Canyon and On-One. Forget buying a used bike as your first purchase, and doubly so for a mountainbike that can have been abused to hell in five different ways that even an experienced cyclist can't detect on a quick inspection.
>>
>>929994
£450 seems overkill... You can get calibre two.two for £329 and apparently thats the best (new) bike for under £500.
Buying second hand surely can't be that bad... I'm pretty handy with tools so servicing etc wouldn't be an issue.
Although I probably will end up stretching to £200ish.
How about this?
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/carrera-vulcan-immaculate-/1158198665

I understand it's not going to impress bike snobs etc but atm I'm literally a fat shit who'll struggle to cycle up a steep hill for more than a few minutes.
>>
>>930000
>bike snobs
It has nothing to do with snobbery. It's just a fact that if you want something that is not:
1) broken beyond reasonable repair
2) stolen
3) a bike shaped object with no utility what so ever
... you're going to have to part with some money. £450 is _low_ for a mountainbike. You can get something that superficialy resembles a mountainbike for less, but it'll have a pogostick for a fork, weigh forty pounds and handle like a sack of bricks.

You'd be much better of getting a fully rigid flatbar bike and pretend it's a cyclocross with your budget.
>>
>>930000
other guys are right about not buying a cheap new bike

buying a used bike is pretty subjective, there are no hard and fast rules that fit for everyone despite what /n/ wants you to think, I don't think it's such a bad choice except that you're not going to know what's a good fit or whatever.

but seriously don't buy a cheap new bike. especially not that horrible thing you linked. at least get something on wiggle
>>
File: WP_20160223_19_18_03_Pro.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160223_19_18_03_Pro.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1840
I planned to build a chinese carbon for about $1k. Ended up costing well over $2k. Everything but the wheels and fork were new "take off" parts.
>>
File: diverge_elite_dsw_cen.jpg (75 KB, 746x495) Image search: [Google]
diverge_elite_dsw_cen.jpg
75 KB, 746x495
I'm considering the Specialized Diverge Elite DSW as my new road bike.

>pros
- Available for testing and trying at my LBS, which is very nice, since I'm in the middle between two sizes.
- Ticks allmost all of my boxes: at least tiagra 4700, disc brakes, thru axle in the front, room for fenders and larger tires.
- has rack mounts on the fork to go with my Tubus tara + ortliebs.
- owners around the web seem to love it

>cons:
- pressfit bottom bracket.
- not sure if the 4700 front derailer with its longer arm will clear the rear fender.
- read reports that the internal cable routing can be noisy on not so perfect tarmac.

I'm also looking at the Jamis Renegade Exploit, but I would have to buy that online, which I'm not comfortable with when I'm not sure about the size.

Anyone got any experience or opinions on this?
>>
>>930238
Spez should be boycotted for their legal shenanigans. Suing local shops over brand names they don't even own. Forcing settlements by threatening huge legal fees even when they know the case has no merit.
An out of control legal dept. trying to justify its own existence being allowed to run amok.
>>
>>930246
yeah i feel you, the problem is that they, despite that, seems to make quite good bikes, although a bit expensive.

I'm primarily interrested in opnions regarding the actual bikes, not the companies as such.
>>
>>930259
But they're just one brand out of many making quite good bikes. There's nothing special about them - just brand magic in certain circles.
Giant, Cannondale, Trek, BMC all make great bikes in the same segments. And you'll find a dealer just as easily. Unless you happen to live in the hicks and the only bike store in the county happens to be a Spech Concept store, but I find that unlikely. :)

That aside you seem to have narrowed down the techincal pros/cons yourself. The one thing I'd like to double check is if that fork is actually ment to take lowriders, and that it's not just a fender mount.
No lower eyelets makes me think it's just a fender mount, and you'll break it mounting any real load there.
>>
>>930264
>>930291

It has eyelets for fenders at the end of the fork next to the axle. I've seen lot of them with low rider racks, even specialized own employees, so I think it's intended for a rack, which is unusual for a carbon fork, yes.
Well, the only thing that would really be a compromise is the press fit bb. If it starts creaking within the first 6-12 months, would you expect the lbs that sold it to fix it for free/under warranty?
I realize that I have actually never bought a new bike from an lbs before, only used bikes off classifieds adds.
>>
>>930297
The creaking comes from poor fit and alignment of the bearings. Creaking pressfit bearings can't be fixed short of exchanging the frame. No, I don't think they'll do that. They'll offer up some cosmetic fix that works for a while, but if you get a dud frame you'll be forever stuck with the ghost of creaking and bearings that wear out in no time at all.

There's realy nothing wrong with the standard (aside from trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist) but frame manufacturers - for som explicable reason - find it impossible to keep tight tolerances on their BB shell. Even if they made perfect pressfit heatubes for fucking ages.
>>
File: p5pb12110325.jpg (278 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
p5pb12110325.jpg
278 KB, 1024x576
This memecycle is selling near me. What's a fair price for it?
>>
>>930749
Depends. About $20 if you're planning to use it practically. An order of magnitude more if you want to hang it on your wall for some reason.
>>
>>930749
anything under or around 200 is reasonable
>>
>>929191
noice digits

I want to buy a chinarello [spoiler] because they look good [/spoiler], where to buy from? I don't know much about cycles.
>>
>>930804
Please don't try to use spoilers if you aren't using them to conceal an actual spoiler.
Get the frame from HongFu
>>
>>930780
naw man, that's a collectible bike
>>
>>930304
Press fit issues can be alleviated with the Praxis BB that threads together inside the shell, there are solutions for creaky PF BBs now so they aren't all that bad
>>
>>929271
>upgradeable in future for beginning off road riding

Do you mean you want to cycle on muddy tracks in the future or you want to do some proper off road? If the latter you'll want a mountain bike. Even though hybrid bikes claim to be a 'hybrid' they're shit for offroad due to not having knobbly tyres.
>>
https://www.reidcycles.com.au/granite.html

I was looking for a new commuter and came across this, anyone ausfags know if reid cycles are anygood?
>>
File: 00L0L_duYjnh9h3Pl_600x450.jpg (27 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
00L0L_duYjnh9h3Pl_600x450.jpg
27 KB, 600x337
120 for this.

Already got 3 bikes, 1 90's rigid mtb, 1 early 80's SS thats a size too small, and a early 90's peugot that i ride distance.

Worth? Thinking about going for it, but need to save over the summer so very hesitant.
>>
>>931654

What niche does this new bike fill that your Peugeot cannot?
>>
>>931656

It doesnt.. I shouldnt.. should wait for another okay 90's mtb to pick up for next winter... or a cyclocross or a nicer mtb.
>>
Are 300eur BTWIN bicycles worth it or should I wait more to buy something better?
>>
>>931654
I think for your next bike you should get something with integrated brakes/shifters.
>>
>>931669
The older black and blue triban 300se is fantastic value for money. The Microsoft gruppo is good for beginners but the frame and fork are decent enough to upgrade over time. The first thing I'd add is a set of cheap wh501 wheels from shjmano or similar as the stock ones are what let the bike down a little.
>>
>>931675
taking notes, thanks for your input. I'm new to this so the more info the better
>>
>>929978
want to stop
>>
http://www.fujibikes.com/global/bike/details/track-comp
worth it for $335, with these parts?
>>
>>931970
>>
>>930947

Ausfag here, supposedly reid cycles are just fine (as long as you dont buy one of their cheapest cheap bikes).
Check out bicycles.net.au/forums for plenty of discussion, most have had no problems but beware they are snobby as fuck so some don't like them based on price alone.
>>
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bikes/model/trance.27.5.3/24695/89688/

I think I found my bike. Any reason I shouldn't buy it?
>>
Just moved to Finland for work.
Where would I buy a bike here? Tried looking up shops but they either sell top of the line bikes for well over 1k or meme fixies.

Would like it for commuting daily to work and back. Budget is 600. Roads are in good shape even the dirt ones.
>>
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik/5467188836.html

O boy! O wow! Look at this deal! Brand new carbon fiber out of a 1990s time capule! Someone better jump on this deal!
>>
File: tumblr_mx03rtP7aE1ru22woo1_1280.png (836 KB, 641x958) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mx03rtP7aE1ru22woo1_1280.png
836 KB, 641x958
hey /n/

I want to build up a new commuter.
I'd love to run 650b x 42 tires
discs are a must.
I have a carbon disc fork with a 390 a-c that I'd like to use, so frame only would be great.
the geo should be rather comfortable.

is this even possible with a frame budget of 200 €

I can't find anything suitable.
I've been thinking about something like a 90s steel mtb frame with one of those az disc adapters, but somethin "off the shelf " would be great
>>
>>934707
>I've been thinking about something like a 90s steel mtb frame with one of those az disc adapters

there should be a "even" in there , not my prefered solution
>>
Hey guys how is this bike for casual canal path riding?

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Cypress-2015-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_73798.htm?sku=231620&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=Cj0KEQjwzq63BRCrtIuGjImRoIIBEiQAGLHdYYYOtuEc-okN2Kr4pLlGQmOsTU9PrCNjqMfCV68_zRYaAhIh8P8HAQ#
>>
>>934833
It's cheap crap, but will work.

Go with good suspension or none at all.
>>
>>934835
Can I get anything better for the same price? I'm a student and this is all I can afford
>>
>>934841
have a look at the pinnacle lithium-1 or neon-1 over at evans cycles
>>
>>934833

dude , please don't buy this.

if money is a concern get a old road bike or a 90s rigid mtb of ebay.

it's way cheaper and way better.
>>
>tfw you bought the worse bike because you liked the colour better
>>
File: 00J0J_JYQF4v7SVi_600x450.jpg (83 KB, 562x450) Image search: [Google]
00J0J_JYQF4v7SVi_600x450.jpg
83 KB, 562x450
There's an old Giant Cadex road bike with a carbon fiber frame, Shimano mechanics, and Michelin Krylion carbon tires for $650 on craigslist in my area. How good of a deal is this and should I be worried that's in in bad condition?
>>
>>929553
>racing ralphs
decent tire. using them right now on my 29
>>
I need to buy a new groupset for my road bike. I know nothing about this shit so any help is appreciated. I'm really hurting for money right now, so it needs to be cheap as possible.

Only requirement is for it to not be a triple chainset.
>>
>>935429

5800 105 is cheap as shit online
>>
>>935429
https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105-5800-11-speed-groupset-black-72462.html

105 for $380

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano-tiagra-4700-10-speed-double-groupset/

Tiagra for $330

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-tiagra-4700-10-speed-groupset/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-5800-groupset/

Oh shit wiggle is actually slightly cheaper now

I'd spring for the 105, which isn't much more, unless you already have a decent 10 speed wheelset, because you need 11 speed wheels for the 105.
>>
>>935433
This, with only a $50 difference, you get a bit of a weight upgrade, quality upgrade, and an extra speed. The new Tiagra is good, but only because it is similar to the new 105. It makes sense if you're buying a complete and the price difference is a couple hundred dollars, but not buying a group. The only real reason to get Tiagra over 105 is you have 10 speed wheels
>>
Hey guys, I'm looking for a decent hybrid bike (new or used) for around $200-300. Any recommendations?
>>
>>935628
At that price range, anything you find new will be garbage. Any thing you find used wont be good, but it won't be total garbage.

Craigslist is your best bet for used typically. post your craigslist here and usually people will find a good one
>>
File: 00Z0Z_d7oCtwUMoH4_600x450.jpg (40 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
00Z0Z_d7oCtwUMoH4_600x450.jpg
40 KB, 600x400
>>935637

what price range would you recommend then? I'm mainly looking for something reliable I can use to bike 4-5 miles a day with.

What do you think of this trek? $200
>>
>>935641
For new bikes, anything decent starts in the 600 dollar range.

I'd say around the 300 mark is good for a used hybrid. Make sure it fits you though. Know what size bike you are.

That bike looks a bit too overpriced imo. If you're gonna get something to go 4-5 miles a day, it should be something pretty solid. it's not horrible, but it's pretty old and the drop frame is a turn off
>>
someone is having a giggle on my local craigslist

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/bik/5460060596.html

some stupid memes but it lightened up the habitual and useless search for my stolen bike
>>
File: bike size chart all.jpg (36 KB, 296x340) Image search: [Google]
bike size chart all.jpg
36 KB, 296x340
>>935641
that's not a bad choice for a 4-5 mile commuter for a noob. make sure it fits you though. wrong fit=dealbreaker. pic related.

the other guy dislikes the step-thru frame, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, and probably it's a plus to a noob. it comes down to personal preference but is a good "gateway to cycling" choice. Should be a reliable bike.

he's right that $200 seems too much. the tires look pretty new, though. I'd be more comfortable paying $100 to $150 tops (because new tires and looks in good shape) if on craigs, but if it's a used offer from a shop, that might explain the extra cost. also your local used market could be abnormally high, the USA is a big place.
>>
>>935649
doood!
>>
What's the most comfy tire in each main size bracket
>>
>>935654
>>935643

Yeah I personally like the step down, like my body to be upright when cycling. I'm probably really inefficient too because I like my seat to be a bit low so it's like I'm sitting down/riding a motorcycle.

Also I'm in SF so I'm expecting bikes to be a bit more expensive. Anything particular I should look out for?
>>
>>935736
What's a main size bracket?

Either way the answer will invariably be "the biggest".
>>
>>935787

also btw I'm not super picky/don't think I need much. Last summer I rode my sister's old bike for 4 miles/day and it worked fine lol, but now I just want something reliable that will last a long time
>>
>>935787

man buy a normal bike.
sure you can buy the trek because you think you linke a super upright position , but after a month of commuting you'll either quit or you'll be yearning for a proper bike.

there's a reason most bikes aren't super upright, they're bikes , not couches.

saddel height considerably lower than handelbars is almost never a good idea.
it may sound unintuative but bikes usually are that way for reasons.
>>
>>935809

Okay, do you think I should still stick with a hybrid then? Or perhaps go for a road bike? Handlebars on road bikes seem a bit hard, so I've always gone with regular handlebars

Thoughts on this? Can't really find any hybrid bikes on CL without a drop frame
>>
File: 00Z0Z_peHNCxYeXe_600x450.jpg (38 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
00Z0Z_peHNCxYeXe_600x450.jpg
38 KB, 450x450
>>935826

forgot pic
>>
File: 00f0f_i78FHCriHHX_600x450.jpg (42 KB, 337x450) Image search: [Google]
00f0f_i78FHCriHHX_600x450.jpg
42 KB, 337x450
>>935828

also what about this Giant? $200
>>
>>935788
I need an answer that's not the biggest.
Each size bracket as in the most comfy 23c, most comfy 28c, most comfy 32c, most comfy 38c

Most comfy 20"
Most comfy 26"
Most comfy 700c

Something like that

I don't want to compare a fat tire with a road slick
>>
>>935844
It's something I'd suggest would be very hard to quantify, but you're looking for the most supple tyres.

Usually if a tyre is very heavily puncture resistant it will be firmer, and may give a harsher ride.

Stuff like open tubuluar or cotton wall may give a more plush ride.
>>
>>935844
schwalbe kojak's are pretty comfy.
>>
>>935844
for clinchers, probably compass/grand bois in every size category they make, although veloflex opentubs will also be good when you get down to skinny size

just don't bitch about the lack of puncture protection, short lifespan, or cheese sidewalls, because comfy comes with a price
>>
>>935828
>>935830

guy, wherever you're getting these pics from, you're going to have to post the URLs so we can read the specs.

either of them seem OK for entry level. the Trek is definitely a small frame. the Giant looks to be for average male height (guessing by eye). the suspension fork is a negative for commuting--heavy and robs some of your pedaling energy. those cons are only negated by heavy offroad use. but if the fork can be locked-out, then that's acceptable for road riding. still, heavier than need be.

and yes, the SF used market is inflated compared to the rest of the US. the Giant might be a fair price.
>>
>>931654
pass. there'll be a newer bike without centerpulls and suicide levers for the same price before long.
>>
How important is the quality of the front derailleur?
>>
>>935923
Not at all. Front shifting speed and safety is almost entirely determined by the ramps and pins on the chain rings.
>>
>>935923
Very. That being said, as long as you buy the correct FD for the number of speeds and it isn't a shitty ass plastic and steel monstrosity for 7 speeds and below, it will work fine because of trickle down.
>>
File: 019283.png (386 KB, 458x483) Image search: [Google]
019283.png
386 KB, 458x483
>>935924
>>935925
>not at all
>very

Anyways, it's Shimano tourney
>>
>>935927
There's not a big difference between an 8-speed claris and an 8-speed dura-ace. The claris may even be better due to trickle down.
>>
>>935927
Never mind >>935925, he's a retard. The derailleur itself is two metal plates. There is nothing to fuck up in its basic function. If you're not happy with the way it shifts the chain you won't find the fix in a more expensive derailleur.
>>
I need a front dérailleur for 26-36-46 triple, friction shifter, band clamp, down cable pull

Wat dérailleur is gud?
>>
>>935927
Never mind >>935929, he's a retard. The derailleur itself is a parallelogram actuating a steel cage shaped to optimize shift performance and stiffness. There's lots to fuck up, because it's trying to brute force shift the part of the chain under load instead of merely guiding the chain like the RD, so stiffness, matching the cage width to the chain width, and the profiling of the cage is paramount. Getting the wrong FD can lead to the chain falling off, high shift effort, and rubbing. The top swing FDs found on cheaper bikes are particularly prone to wear and slop.
>>
>>935830
>>935826

don't need to go full road bike , flat bar are absolutly allright if you're not racing.

if the price is within you're budget and it fits you, the gaint looks like a very solid choice.
>>
>>935931
sora
>>
>>935937
flat bars r gay
>>
>>935938
http://bike.shimano.com/content/sac-bike/en/home/components11/road/sora1/fd-3503-b.html

But it says maximum capacity of 16t wtf is that the difference between the top and bottom chainring?
>>
>>935417

Not even close to worth $650. glued carbon is trash
>>
>>935974
I kinda figured that out by now and found a bike which seems to be a much better deal. A Biancho Premio with a Shimano RX-100 gear seat for $400. I dunno if I'll buy it or not yet, but the used bike scene in my area is pretty bad. I doubt I'll ever find something nicer than this for around my budget, but hopefully it doesn't sell by the time I'm ready to buy.
>>
>>935976
Bianchi, I mean.
>>
>>935976
>>935980

Link to your local craigslist? I can take a crack at it.

Last weekend I snagged a 90 dollar Olmo Firenze upgraded with Dura-ace wheels ukikiki
>>
>>935997
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/search/bia
Give it a shot.
Most of what I keep seeing (at least in my size) is people selling old shwinn's and trek's at a really high price, or the occasional custom bike for $1000+.
>>
File: uhhhh.jpg (50 KB, 990x750) Image search: [Google]
uhhhh.jpg
50 KB, 990x750
>>935974
>calling Calfee trash
>>
Kona Sutra/Cannondale Touring 1/Surly LHT

best bang for my buck?
>>
File: image.jpg (129 KB, 798x654) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129 KB, 798x654
Anyone have experience with velobuild frames? I'm looking to build a 6.8 kilo bike for my next one. I'm sponsored by cannondale, but this is still a cheaper and lighter option then a caad frame.
I'm looking at the R-016 frame, and would probably replace the fork
http://www.velobuildmall.com/product/vb-r-016-super-light-road-frame-set-850-grams-di2-ready/
>>
>>936034
Pretty sure Cdale will be mad if you use any other frame.

Also pic says 965g. One size up is 145g heavier?
>>
Yuropoor here.

Is there an EU equivalent of craigslist?

I'm trying to find an OTS and renovate it a bit, but on my country's craigslist equivalent, I can only find shady, glorious socialist revolution frames, the quality of which I am dubious of.
I'd rather buy an old italian of frenchie.

Alternatively, does anyone, through some amazing coincidence know about the quality of Rog frames?
>>
>>936040
The commie frames are fine, just cheap and low quality. The moving parts are not so great
>>
>>936035
Pretty sure cdale can suck a dick seeing as they've given us 1 frame in the past two years
Or I could grab a sprint allez just to kiss em off more
>>
>>936055
So why are you even sponsored by them? Drop them and find a new sponsor if they don't give you guys anything and the prices are so bad you'd buy something else.
>>
>>936040
Depends where in Europe
The old town I used to live in had a Facebook page for bike selling/buying etc. but it was a fairly small city.

In Germany there was also ebay kleinanzeigen and had some decent listings for bigger cities so maybe your country might have an equivalent?
>>
>>936020

Which country you from?
>>
>>936076
Yeah, I reckon each country has an equivalent, but I was thinking something more broad and international in design.
I guess I'll just check the austrian and italian ones and hope people will be willing to deal with a dirty slav :^)

>>936044
That's why I plan to get at least a decent frame and replacing most of the moving parts.
No use fitting a few hundred euros of a groupset and whatnot on a frame worth 20€.
>>
Having to get glasses unfortunately. What am I going to do about cycling?

Prescription cycling sunglasses are expensive. The glasses I'm getting are transitions, but they won't be good at keeping the wind out.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>936163
I've been wearing glasses for the past 20 years, cycling seriously for 10, and it's no big deal wearing them on the bike. If you want extra wind coverage but can't afford an extra pair of bike-specific glasses, just wear a cycling cap that hangs down and covers some of the space above the glasses (caps fit under helmets fine btw).
>>
>>936077
Canada
>>
>>936020
The Kona and Surly have shit tier components and are massively overpriced. Can't find how much the Cannondale is but it seems decent.
>>
>>929646

don't

too much money for something you'll outgrow.
just build up a road conversion.
>>
>>936163

what about some perscription safety glasses instead? You'll look like a dork, but whatever
>>
>>936231
All the freds will laugh at me
>>
>>936232

surely something like http://www.rx-safety.com/prescription-safety-glasses/wraparound-safety-glasses/prescription-safety-glasses-rx-456.html

would be ok
>>
>>936163
Z E N N I
E
N
N
I
>>
A new request appears !

Must have:
Eyelets for front/rear/fenders or pre-installed racks/mudguards
Touring geo
650 wheels

Tasty extras (optional in order of desirability):
Reel steel tubing
Drop handlebars
Belt driven
IGH (chain driven)
Fork suspension

Meh:
Quill stem (looking at you TR1)
Disk brakes

I'm 6'0". Looking to keep it under 1500. Can you /n/iggers point me in the right direction?
>>
>>936283
I would build that up from parts
>>
>>936283
bluhhhh I guess I'd start with a Surly Straggler 650b or Soma Grand Randonneur frameset (basically dick brakes vs no dicks), and build it from there.
>>
>>936246
>200 burgerbucks

Bollocks to that
>>
>>935939

ach ja ?
>>
What's the best bicycle for uphill roads? I really like the look of single speeds and fixies but I dont know if they're are a viable option
>>
>>936429
Fixed gears are the best for going up 20% grades, bombing down too. Go ahead.
>>
>>936429
A lightweight road bike (either aluminium or carbon) with low gearing options, ideally a compact crank with at least a 28 tooth cog on the back.
>>
>>936429
They're not viable

t.Live in an area with constant rolling short steep hills and even my triple chainring 7 speed isn't great due to the shitty ratios
>>
Looking at a new bike so I'm wondering what suggestions you got

I'm a delivery rider, so I want a road bike, something that will be alright with some abuse.
Disc brakes are almost a must. I also hate triple cranksets. A double is fine. No clue what they're called but the groupsets that just have 1 chainring with a decently ranged cassette seem cool. Way less maintenance/chain wear
>>
>>936309
NNNGGGGG

wish i could keep my bike clean enough to have it in white
>>
>>936586
>1x
>disc brakes

i feel like this is going to be expensive, how much are you looking to spend? also >>>/bbg/
>>
>>936604
>also >>>/bbg/
nigga where the fuck do you think you are right now?
>>
>>936604
are 1x seriously more expensive than a regular double? thats fucking retarded. is there a good reason at least?

I don't want to spend too much over $1500 really. Also >>936609 pointed it out but it's a pretty fucking retarded mistake so I'm gonna point it out again
>>
>>936609
oh fuck sorry i'm retarded, i replied from the main page and thought it was the /BQG/

>>936613
i've just hear that /actual/ 1x setups are more expensive because they're sort of SRAM's new fad/trend/product that they're pushing for MTBs.

However they're not too difficult to get them set up as an "aftermarket" thing. it's just taking two rings off of the front anyways, the only problem you'll run into is just spacing everything so the chainline isn't too crazy. If your budget is around $1500 though then it really shouldn't be too much of an issue either way. (i'm kind of a poorfag)
>>
>>936616
oh cool thanks, I have like very little knowledge of the bike market and the different companies and shit
>>
>>936603
Yeah, it's nice.

I guess I should probably have mentioned that the Soma isn't quite touring geometry, as it's low trail and won't be as stable with loads front and rear as a proper touring bike. But it'll be more fun than a touring tank. The Straggler is also not really meant for fully loaded touring. If you want high trail long wheelbase 650b for a 6' rider, I think that you're in custom frame territory.

Another option is building a bikepacking bike around something like a Soma B-Side, if you aren't totally hung up on racks n' fenders. There's a special version of the B-side frame if you want to use a belt-driven IGH, too. Something along those lines is probably going to be my next bike, since I want a 650b MTB but I don't want fucking 27.5+ fat bike dildo bullshit.
>>
File: Specialka_56f1bc2168861.jpg (85 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Specialka_56f1bc2168861.jpg
85 KB, 640x480
Hey /n/ I plan on buying an OTS and refurbishing it a bit.

This guy is selling a Rog OTS with Weinmann brakes, Ofmega crankset, 3tt headset and Simplex derailleurs.

I plan on at least replacing the derailleurs and the seat and generally polishing the bike up.

The guy is selling for 110€.
Is it worth it? Keep in mind, this is my first road bike, so my needs aren't as stringent.
>>
>>936694
I don't know if that price is reasonable for where you live, but if you're around 180cm that would make a decent first bike.
>>
>>936694
>Is it worth it?
No, not unless you're absolutely in love with the retroness and don't care about the biking aspect. 110€ is a quarter of what a decent roadbike costs new. That's way to much money to spend on something that's neither decent nor new.

Save up some pocket shrapnel and buy this instead:
https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-performance-pr7-road-bike-73113.html
It's well worth it, assuming you're not broke as fuck and the few euros mean the difference between eating well or living on tinned beans and instant ramen for several months. Though, it might still be worth it...
>>
Hey all,

I'm looking for a cheap bike to cop to get back into biking. My previous biking experience consisted of riding my dads (really) old Peugeot that was basically falling apart, so my bar is not very high here.

All I would be using this bike for is riding around the neighborhood, really. I won't be using it to commute, and I have no interest in off-road biking. From this, I'm guessing I should get a commuting/touring bike, as I just want a fairly comfortable ride that I can take around the neighborhood and maybe go on some of the paved trails that are here in Seattle.

In terms of measurements, I'm 5'9 155. I'm willing to pay up to $500. The way I see it, I just want to see if I will actually consistently go biking, and if so, I can sell this bike and get a nicer one that better suits my needs.

Do you guys have any recommendations from https://seattle.craigslist.org/ ? Do you recommend going to local bike shops to try out the variety of styles until I find a decent deal on CL?
>>
>>937398
>Do you recommend going to local bike shops to try out the variety of styles until I find a decent deal on CL?
No, that makes you a complete douche. Go to your local shop, try out a few things and spend your money with the people who helped you find out what you needed.

---

Unrelated question: Why is it every god damned noob think they're going to make the killing of a lifetime off of craigslist?
>>
>>937399
That being said, any seattle-anons here have recommendations for used bike shops in the area?
>>
File: 00000_azqXTTb5f9_600x450.jpg (36 KB, 468x450) Image search: [Google]
00000_azqXTTb5f9_600x450.jpg
36 KB, 468x450
In communication with a guy to trade him my Peugeot UO-14 frame, fork, and headset plus some spare parts in exchange for his Trek 500. Pic related.

Seem fair? He was asking $160 for the bike, I offered my frame plus $80. He asked if I had any spare parts and I said yeah. He's a hobbiest retiree flipper. Parts I'd be giving him are some Shimano 600 mech parts that I can't use for anything and some odds and ends stems and seat posts.

This is like the only time I've found a bike in my size. So I'm pretty keen to get it.
>>
>>937687
$160 is reasonable for that if it's your size. XXL bikes are hard to find and hard to sell, so it's more about the opportunity of being able to buy one than the price.

If you're too lazy to sell your parts, then yeah, just trade it. That being said, a UO-14 isn't that shitty of a frame, and if you could be bothered to sell it, you might be able to get more.
>>
>>937398

It's too small for you(I would estimate your ideal size to be 54cm) and it's probably stolen but:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/5508606583.html

My personal choice in your area if I were you would be this one:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/bik/5508459186.html

Nice little beginner bike. Probably isn't stolen. If you end up losing interest you could sell it for the same price. If cycling really sticks and you get into it you can buy a "nice" racing bicycle with modern doodads and keep this one as your commuter, or beer hauler.
>>
File: tlsnonq5c9ydzue8xh5k.jpg (138 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
tlsnonq5c9ydzue8xh5k.jpg
138 KB, 640x360
Where can I buy the bike from Golden Boy or a similar looking one?
>>
>>937721
literally 90s rigid MTB
>>
File: mavic-tempo-mtb-cycling-shoes.jpg (43 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
mavic-tempo-mtb-cycling-shoes.jpg
43 KB, 800x600
Bought a pair of Mavic Razor shoes pic related for £8/€10/$11 at a car boot sale today second hand. They were a bit muddy but I put them in the washing machine and they've come out well.

Bargain desu since they sell for £80 new.
>>
>>937721
The Mikazuki 5 (or is it 4) doesn't actually exist, otherwise I'd own it.
I'm sure there are bikes with replicated paint jobs out there. If not, just buy a rigid 90s mtb and repaint it.
>>
>>937721
>>937740

This guy has the right idea, buy a quality rigid 90s mtb for cheap and repaint. Good ones regularly sell for under 100. A two-tone powder coat shouldn't cost more than 150. Get a steel bike, old aluminum bikes that are still around are typically lower quality.

Trek 930 950 970, the 970 is often suspension fork.
Univega Alpina
Miyata Ridge Runner
Parkpre 925 or 825
Specialized Stumpjumper Comp
Bontrager Privateer(if you can get your hands on a Race or a Race Lite don't touch the paint!)
Bridgestone MB-3, MB-2, MB-1
Bianchi Peregrine, Grizzly, Super Grizzly
Paramount PDG70

Things to keep in mind, if you want it to be as accurate as possible no quill stems, it has to be threadless. Also avoid the FUCK out of chainstay U-brakes, both for accuracy and safety purposes. That style of brake was retarded and died out within a year.
>>
>>937689
It's a pretty shitty bike market here. Despite it being a college town older bicycles don't move very much on the second hand market. We also have a dichotomy of being a very affluent town, which means lots of freds who sell their Cervelos and all that but wouldn't dare look twice at anything older than a couple of years.

I'm gonna do it. He said he'd do a trade for the frame and fork plus a set of old microshift STIs I have.
>>
>>937745

I prefer Treks over Peugeots, so for me the trade is a no-brainer. But I'd say value is pretty equal, except that in my neck o the woods these fucking retrogrouches jizz over anything European.
>>
>>937745
>microshift STIs

How well does microshift actually perform? I've tried looking into it, but everywhere I looked had varied results and people accusing others of being shills.
I've been debating getting a set for an old 7 speed, but never pulled the trigger.
>>
File: IMG_20160323_134416.jpg (3 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160323_134416.jpg
3 MB, 2048x1152
>>937747
Yeah but it's hard arguing equal value trade for a working bike in exchange for a non working bike. I've got to figure that in order for him to get the Peugeot back to sellable shape he's gonna need to source wheels, tires, shifters, derrailures, the whole nine yards.

>>937750
They worked well for me. It was my first proper road bike and I found no issue with the shifters. They threw every time and over the course of two years and thousands of miles I didn't have to do anything other than adjust the barrel adjusters to keep them going. They were actually really comfy too. Big area for the hand. Pic related. Thier up at the top of the image.
>>
>>937759
Thanks for the info friend. I'll probably pick up a pair when the wrap on the bike in question wears out.
>>
>>937762
NP.
>>
Thinking of buying this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/bergamont-dolce-10-3-road-bike-2013/rp-prod146586

Seems like a good deal but I don't know much about the brand. Bergamont. They use their own brand bars, stem, saddle and seatpost to bring down the price so I wonder if it is good value or just cheap products?
>>
>>937745
No, this is a bad deal now. Stop throwing shit in and making the deal worse for you.
>>
>>937814
It's reasonably light, but brakes are very basic and FSA chainsets have a very bad rep for both the chainset itself and their bearings.
Good wheelset.

I have no input to give on the frame or finishing kit, but it looks like a more than decent price for a Di2 bike. Good deal or not depends on how much you actually want 10spd Di2. You can get killer 11spd mechanical bikes for the same money.
>>
>>937880

After some googling I found out a bit about Bergamont. They were previously owned by BMC before being taken over by Scott last year. Their bikes generally get good reviews from what I have read.

I have 105 brakes on my current bike that I would switch over so I'm not worried about the cheap brakes. I have had problems with FSA bearings before but their chainsets have been fine for me.

The price is definitely good for a di2 bike but I will keep an eye out for some other bargains before I buy anything. If it's the same price I would probably go for 10sp di2 over 11sp mechanical.
>>
>>937814
>http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/bergamont-dolce-10-3-road-bike-2013/rp-prod146586
10 speed di2

naw dawg
>>
I will need a bike for commute to work.

It's about 6km distance, main part of it in a rather straight-line bike lane (stoplights in between though). I think i'd prefer some kind of city bike over road bikes.

my height is 6' 3" - 6' 4"...

I just want the commute to be effortless as possible, I don't have much experience with bikes, I don't know what to look at. Why would i get a bike for $600 instead of a bike for $300, for example? I couldn't tell the difference even with a test drive. Are there any parts in the specifications i should look at? I'm thinking of spending up to... $400?

Another thing, because i'm relatively tall, and not a cyclist (or generally work out much, im thin, just not /fit/), im thinking maybe the posture on those road bikes won't suit me, thats another reason why i was thinking of more cityish bikes that have+ more upward position.

I'd probably buy it in some local bike shop.
>>
>>937883
Find me a bike with bad reviews that isn't LBS shills shitting over BD bikes. Bikes in general tend to get good reviews
>>
>>938023
A more expensive bike will probably be lighter, have smoother shifting, possibly better brakes (if not pure power then modulation), pretty much everything on a bike can be improved, although as you mention it can be hard to tell.

With $400 if you're going new you're looking at an absolute entry-level hybrid from a shop.

As for position and flexibility, that's something you can build up to. Core exercise and stretching. But more upright is fine. If the commute is flat I'd say you'd be fine with a fixie/ss, too.
>>
Would it be okay to buy a Walmart bike for a few miles a day? Im getting into cycling and need a starter bike. Preferably hybrid for about $100. Craigslist is turning up shitty mountain bikes in various states of disassembly. If I kept up with maintenance and replaced some if the parts would it be acceptable for a beginner?
>>
>>938150
>Would it be okay to buy a Walmart bike for a few miles a day?
Assuming they're safe, and that's a big if. 6/7 local Walmart-equivalents failed government fatigue tests and were deemed unsafe. Just get the cash to buy a brand name bike instead. It's only a few hundred for an entry level bike.
>>
>>938150
If you're going to be spending longer than a month riding at least 20 miles a week, avoid the walmart bikes.

Depending on where you live, you might be able to find a much nicer bike on craigslist for the same price. Go ahead and post your CL and maybe we can help.
>>
Thinking of buying a new bike from my LBS
2015 Synapse disc adventure for about 1200

Just looking for a general use road bike that's good for doing my deliveries on, city bike that can take a bit of abuse, but is still a fast bike.

few questions

>thoughts on the bike? is the price good? any other competing bikes I should look at?
>I'm 5'6 and the bike is a size 54. Would that be a problem? What issues would it cause and how significant would it be?
>any tips for buying a new shop from a bike? never done it before
>>
>>938215
That bike seems a bit big for you. It could end up being fine, but I would really recommend you don't drop $1,200 on a bike that's too big. You can go 1-2cm smaller and be fine, but too big is a real problem.

What are you currently riding?
>>
>>938215
Bike is too large for you. You need a 52cm. Getting a bike that's too large means that your saddle height will be off, you'll more likely crotch yourself on dismount, and most importantly you'll be stretching to reach the handlebars with the saddle set to put your legs at the proper position.

When buying from a shop, don't let them upsell you on maintenance and parts and clothing and shit. Bikes are more or less a loss leader, while shops make bank on service and accessories and stuff.
>>
>>938231
Right now I have an Allez. It's a size 52. They don't have any smaller sizes of that one bike because it's a 2015 model.
>>
Hello,

I want a bike to commute to the university. Is this a good deal ? https://newhaven.craigslist.org/bik/5498889038.html
>>
>>938286
So look a different bike. Riding a bike that's too large sucks shit.

>>938293
Massive fucking ripoff. That model MSRPs for like $300 and sucks ass. What is your height and budget?
>>
>>938286
>>938302

I have to agree with this guy. If it was a killer deal that you could flip, then maybe it'd be okay to try. There is no reason you should be spending that much on a bike that's too big.
If you have an Allez, I'd recommend riding that until you can find something in your size or save up a bit more for a better upgrade. The Allez isn't a bad bike.
>>
>>937399
While I wouldn't try bikes at the shop just to buy elsewhere, I don't condemn people who do. It certainly could be considered a dick move, but I can kind of understand. Some people can't afford to buy new. Also, some shops are just fucking terrible.
And this is all coming from someone who wants to open their own shop one day.

As far as noobs thinking they can make a steal on CL, that's to be expected when they see so many of us posting about the steals we made.
Those deals are out there, they just take a lot of dedication and time to catch/ find, more than most noobs are willing to put in.
>>
How good a deal is this?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/bik/5510794950.html
>>
>>938521
It'd be pricey for my area, but it's probably not bad for SF. Note that it is steel and thus it will be a bit heavier of a thing to have to lug up all those hills.

Also, there may be an applicable recall on that fork. http://salsacycles.com/culture/safety_recall_salsa_vaya_la_cruz_bicycle_forks
>>
>>938302
I am 6'1. My budget is $200 max.
>>
>>938632

Yalefag? GO LIONS

Probably stolen:
https://newhaven.craigslist.org/bik/5510890636.html

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/bik/5445712311.html
Old aluminum, yuck. But it should get you to class and it's your size.
>>
>>938674
Thank you very much. I will go for the Fuji bike.
>>
DISCLAIMER: NON-ENGLISH ADS

http://www.njuskalo.hr/gradski-bicikli/ctb-28-merida-crossfire-2800-kn-oglas-18127998
http://www.njuskalo.hr/gradski-bicikli/avenue-broadway-xm-oglas-17372697
http://www.njuskalo.hr/gradski-bicikli/mbk-sixtysix-2013-oglas-17372098

Language barrier aside, do you have a favorite between these three used bikes? do they look ok? The last one, i suspect it's not called "crossfire", but "crossway"
>>
>>938884
The only one of those I'd consider personally is the Merida, which just looks like an entry level hybrid.

The other two look like some kind of abomination sheep-in-wolf's-clothing flat bar road bike bullshit.
>>
Looking at buying a bike as a beginner. I'm 6'3"-ish and mid 20s. My budget is in the $500 +/- $50 range. I'm thinking a hybrid would be best fit, but I'm not sure. I want to use it for some commuting and for riding around trails and such.
>>
>>938912
Advice will depend entirely of your definition of trail. Anything from a CX to a mountainbike hardtail could be the best fit, but a hybrid with as thick semislicks as you can fit is a probably a safe all-round bet.
>>
>>938912
forgot link http://www.wiggle.com/verenti-bikes-vhpa1/
>>
>>938915
Most of the trails around here are pretty flat, if that helps. Though I'd like to build up to riding on something more challenging.
>>
>>938920
It's moslty surface conditions and not hills that I'm thinking about. If it's smooth dirt roads/foot paths, even a road bike with 25/28 tyres will do. Your commute will be kingly and wonderfull country road adventures await.
If it's rough and full of large rocks or roots, nothing short of a hardtail will do. It will suck balls on the commute, and you can't afford a very decent one either.
>>
>>938923
They're pretty smooth, I can't think of any that have large rock issues. Roots might be a problem in some parts, I can just avoid those areas if necessary though.
>>
Been biking for 10ish years, but mostly commuting on a city bike and I'm thinking of getting into road biking.

How good is this as an entry level road bike that also doubles as a commuter?
The (mostly) Sora groupset on a 600 euro bike looks awfully tasty.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520-road-bike-sora-black-red-id_8322663.html
>>
>>938938
20+lbs brochure weight for an alu road bike and garbon fork is a bit silly, but half expected at the price point. £450 is not an exciting price imo. Complaints about clunky gearshifts propably mean shit cable work. Decathlon is grabbage. Triple chainring?! 2/10 would not buy.
https://www.evanscycles.com/jamis-ventura-comp-2015-road-bike-EV210725
https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-synapse-alloy-claris-2015-road-bike-EV214047 (8speed)
https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-performance-pr7-r-road-bike-2016-88021.html
>>
I'm this anon again >>938215

So now for my new bike I'm looking at a Trek Crossrip Elite. Seems like a good inbetween of a quick roadbike and a strong urban utility bike once I throw some slicks on and slam the stem

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the bike or other bikes worth looking into. Price range is no more than 1500
>>
>>938999
Where are you? I can sell you mine
>>
>>939001
I live in Seattle

how do/did you like yours?
>>
>>938930

Get a cyclocross bike then
>>
>>939018
What are the benefits of a cyclocross? I've only looked into road bikes and hybrids.
>>
>>939020
It's kind of like a more aggressive hybrid, drop bars, (usually) disc brakes and clearance for around 32-35 mm tyres.

That said since you're looking for commuting, you might be thinking about racks, panniers and fenders. On pure cross bikes they don't usually have provisions for those. If you are after those then perhaps an adventure/all road/gravel bike would be the go.

However finding either of them second hand within your price range may be a challenge.
>>
>>939005
I like it a lot, but unfortunately I don't need it. What size frame do u need?
>>
>>939056
I'm a 52 manlet size
>>
>>939055
So from what I've found Gravel/Adventure bikes are hybrids similar to cyclocross but with more road bike features?
>>
>>939082
they're cyclocross bikes with more upright, comfort oriented positioning, clearance for wider tires, wider gears, mounts for racks and shit, and stronger frames, sometimes steel.
>>
>>939082
They're essentially repurposed touring or drop-bar-hybrid(non-race-CX) bikes, with clearance for fat tires, and meant for dirt roads.
>>
does a advanture / gravel frame or frameset exist for around 200 € ?
>>
>>939161
Kaffenback II
>>
>>939162

any other options ?
>>
PlanetX has Berthoud fenders for ridiculously cheap if you are in the UK or if you need multiple sets. Today only.
>>
>>939100
Any names that I should be looking at?
>>
>>939262
Kona Rove/Rove AL
Genesis Croix de Fer/CdA
Giant AnyRoad/Brava SLR
>>
So I'm planning on getting a bike to ride to and from college. It's 7 miles to get there (so about 40-45 minutes of cycling) and is mostly flat but there are some grassy parts and a few poorly made roads. I'm about 6'2" and weigh about 160 but I gotta carry shit around too so that weight can change between 170 to 190. Budget's about $300-$400.

Any recommendations?
>>
>>939276
Thanks for all the information, I'll do a bit more research before I make a final decision.
>>
>>939299
With that budget, the place to start is to see if any of your local bike shops sell used bikes.
>>
>>939299
Mercier Kilo WT with CX tires or 80s Japanese touring bike like a Miyata 1000
>>
File: 1405540952155.jpg (111 KB, 558x515) Image search: [Google]
1405540952155.jpg
111 KB, 558x515
Oh jesus I can't pick what bike I want. I need a new road bike to use for work, fun, and just generally getting around

can't decide between

GT Grade Alloy 105
Kona Jake
Fuji Cross 2.0
Cannondale CAAD10 105
Surly Pacer

all are around 1,200 and most have the 105.

I like the Jake and Cross 2.0 for the utility and versatility but at the same time i'm scared of the idea of having a master of none
I like that the Grade Alloy is a more road-oriented balance but I'm still turned off by not having a speedster
The Caad 10 is definatly a legit road bike and is really fun, But i'm scared of durability and how fit it is for the city
the surly defiantly would be perfect for durability and thrashing around the city, but steel might be too real for me.

this is so fucking hard to pick what the fuck
>>
>>939341

Where do you live? If you live anywhere where it snows or rains heavily, definitely get either the Jake or the Cross 2.0.
>>
>>939350
Yeah I live in Seattle. Honestly, if I didn't, I'd probably already have the CAAD by now.

Though, to be fair, I ride an Allez now and I've not had any issues with that stuff
>>
6' tall
32" inseam

Need a bike for casual riding/commuting. Looking more for a road bike.
Budget is around $300

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/search/bik
>>
>>939366
How long is your commute and are there hills
>>
>>939368
Commute would be like 20 mins or less on bike and yes there are hills.
>>
>>939365

If you alrleady have an Allez keep it and get a cross bike(I prefer the Kona over the Fuji.) Unless selling the Allez is required to get a new bike, in which case get the CAAD10
>>
>>939366

Too far from your neck of the woods? It's so much better than the best bike in your area:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/5513784330.html
>>
https://hugbikeshop.fi/kauppa/polka-for-everybody

http://www.bikeshop.fi/Charge_Plug_0/ekauppa/pCHPLUG0/&listpos=1

Are these bikes trash?
>>
I'm in the market for a "new" frame

theres a canyon ultimate al f8 up for auction.
my budget is up to 200€ .

is there even a chance I could get it ?

theres another interesting frame up several hours earlier which might be in that price range but I got the hots for that canyon frame.

what do you guys think
200 for a canyon ultimate al f8 , resonable ?
>>
>>939465
Flat bar fixies are my kryptonite, but doesthe polka come with brakes or not? The pictures are sending me mixed messages.

The charge plug looks quite nice for what it is.

But I wish they'd put mounting points on them.
>>
>>939483
Is this name april fools or something hiro???
>>
>>939483

I think it's worth getting a "better" plug.
I think the geared ones are pretty decent bikes
>>
I've got an opportunity to get a new GT Series 3 for $365, good investment?
>>
I've got an opportunity to buy a new GT Series 3 for $365, good investment?
>>
>>939484
Fuck off trisha.
>>
>>939483
Yeah the polka comes with brakes but i have no clue about materials or whats good in a bike. I live now in the flatlands of Finland and these are the only decent shops I found. I think the price is good but I have never heard of the brand before.
>>
>>939505
I'd say it's worth it. The Tiagra groupset alone is worth most of that.
>>
Baby fist bike

Going to test drive a bike from a Craigslist seller. What are things that I need to keep in mind while inspecting the bike ?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 53

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.