[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Seeking your expertise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: hqdefault.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
Referred to you guys from /fit/

Looking to get into street cycling. Former land whale, fat af. Down over 100 lbs in 18 months but stalled around 340 lbs. Walking, portioning etc. just not cutting it anymore. Used to love biking when i was younger so thought that might be a nice change of pace.

A few hangups I have when it comes to getting one: I'm still a big guy so I want something durable (leaning towards a mountain bike). I'm a tall guy 6'6" so I'm wondering if the 27" bikes you can get at Walmart/Target will be sufficient. Also pricing limited so Craig's list or Walmart are my affordable options. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.
>>
Walmart bikes are absolute rubbish. Post your local CL and we'll see what's good.
>>
>>899877
> af
Fuck off back to Facebook
>>
File: tandemriders.jpg (166 KB, 400x359) Image search: [Google]
tandemriders.jpg
166 KB, 400x359
OP, there's no reason you can't ride a bike at 340 pounds, but realistically this means you'll need very strong wheels, and you'd likely benefit from starting out on a bike more like the one in your pic that uses the frame to support more of your body mass than a typical mountain bike or road bike.

Unfortunately the need for strong wheels means that Target/Walmart bikes aren't a good option (they're really not good options for anyone, as a previous anon mentions).

My suggestion is to look for a local dealer of Worksman cycles, they make heavy-duty bikes and wheels for exactly your situation. 2nd best after that would be buying online (http://www.worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/big-bikes.html) because if you've never ridden a bike as an adult you'd really benefit to having some in-person guidance.

Alternatively, if you can't find a Worksman or that's beyond your budget, the next step would be to find a local bike shop that can build you an extra-strong wheelset and fit you to something like the bike in your original pic.
>>
>>899881
Rockwall/DFW is probably the closest.
>>
>>899887
>Worksman cycles
OP here. What's the budget like on those cause as mentioned not at the most financially sound place in my life. In fact the only cycle store I know off didn't have anything under $600
>>
>>899890
Since budget is a real issue, do you have a bike coop near you? Or a shop that deals in used bikes? You might be able to find a deal, and hopefully someone who can hook you up with really strong wheels.

You could also post a link to your local Craigslist and anon can help browse for anything that holds promise.
>>
>>899892
(OP) not familiar with a bike coop and about the only resale shops locally (bumfuck egypt NE Texas) are Goodwill or the Salvation Army.
>>
90s rigid MTB with slicks
>>
File: grin.jpg (1 MB, 2849x1937) Image search: [Google]
grin.jpg
1 MB, 2849x1937
>>899877
"BANG!",, who, pulled my triggr??
,,i luvya OP,, bend that hinney over foryour spanking., you, CHEAPo!, cuting corners on life?, "PORTIONS?{",, "HANGUPS?"!
,,in USA we pay to have your stomach stapled?! Whathe Heck?,, HERE> Have some prozac! FREE!!, maybe you just need more HFCS?, subsidized cardboard houseing, phones,, bus passs, ,crapy wheelchair?FREE!
,Smog?no child left bhind.
, ,Obomber Care = just say "NO", living. this means YOU, Bacon.
,, wake up to saltlick and coffeed,, a world covered in tayourr,, a job creating caos.
,,,,and you BALK at a few pennys the Gov wont pay to REALY make alife?, youll need them to BUY FATSEAT, recumbent, trike.
,start saving, ,now.
>>
File: test.jpg (599 KB, 2089x961) Image search: [Google]
test.jpg
599 KB, 2089x961
>>899937
wow,, i see what yalls mean, that post made NO Sense.
, OP?, get a bike you Wanto ride., a comfy seat helpsometimes.
>>
File: aero.jpg (40 KB, 216x160) Image search: [Google]
aero.jpg
40 KB, 216x160
>>
>>899937
OP, a recumbent tadpole trike might work out if you can find one within your means.

free banpu
>>
File: toxin well tests..jpg (767 KB, 2073x1025) Image search: [Google]
toxin well tests..jpg
767 KB, 2073x1025
eryday OP.
>>
>>899877
bumop
>>
>>903237
S H E ' S A B I G G I R L

H

E
'
S

A

B

I

G

G

I

R

L
>>
>>905399
If I took the hat off, would she die?
>>
>>899940
>>wow,, i see what yalls mean, that post made NO Sense.

Dying here, I love you bacon.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.