[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jazz
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: front23.jpg (83 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
front23.jpg
83 KB, 600x600
General Jazz thread

I've seen this album posted a few times lately and I'm looking for more like it. Specifically I'm looking for albums that have a unifying theme and sort of tell a story through the music. Any recs?
>>
>>64567477
I feel like I've answered this exact question before...

Blue Note has some good ones. Herbie Hancock's is the most obvious with the songs inspired by a ship's "maiden voyage" and nautical happenings and stuff. Andrew Hill's "Compulsion" is directly inspired by the civil rights movement I think.

Along those lines is one of my favorites: Destinations Unknown by Alex Sipiagin where each of the songs is inspired by some method of travel that Sipiagin has taken in various places around the world.

There are some other good ones that are inspired by visual arts.

Dave Ballou- Rothko (inspired by the abstract expressionist painter)
Walt Weiskopf- Sight to Sound (all the compositions are inspired by paintings)
Clarence Penn- Dali in Cobble Hill (the album is a musical imagining of what Dali would experience while wandering around present day East Village NY.)
>>
>>64568239
not the same anon but beautiful post, jtg. you're doing god's work.

OTL
>>
>>64568239
Thanks m8. already knew about maiden voyage but I will check the other ones.
>>
is Anthony Braxton worth listening to or is he a meme?
>>
https://youtu.be/HQK_r9vA9VM
>>
File: eric-harland-0.jpg (81 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
eric-harland-0.jpg
81 KB, 333x500
>>64568239
Hey jtg, since you're quite familiar with criss cross catalog, what are some great records with Eric Harland as drummer? I wanna hear some good drumming by this guy (I already listened to Destinations Unknown, Overlooking Moments and Voyager). I don't care if it is by another label
>>
>>64569854
Actually there's another guy on /mu/ who knows a lot more about Eric Harland than I do.

The only other really good Criss Cross ones I can think of off the top of my head are John Swana- On Target and Walter Smith- III.

Some others I'd recommend are:
Chris Potter- The Sirens
Zhenya Strigalev- Smiling Organism
Lift Quartet- Live at the Village Vanguard
Dave Holland- Pass It On

and any of his stuff with Charles Lloyd is probably pretty good.
>>
>>64570331
I appreciate your help, man
>>
>>64567477
Fun fact: Miles wanted Kind of Blue to really have a gospel vibe in it as he wanted to recreate those church sounds from his childhood. Since he obviously failed with that, it's the main reason why he didn't really like it. Obviously it's an amazing album but miles just didn't capture what he wanted.
>>
>>64571693
That would explain the amens in So What but then why would he have two ballads on the album?
>>
jtg, do you have any idea why swedespammer start going by the name jazzthreadguy?

if you try to question him about it, he acts like he doesn't understand the question
>>
>>64567477
Bump
>>
>>64567477
Tijuana Moods?
>>
File: jaimeo.jpg (565 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
jaimeo.jpg
565 KB, 1200x1200
here's a cool new album from drummer Jaimeo Brown's Transcendence group based on samples of work songs from legendary Alan Lomax field recordings and such

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uslDx0quA0o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMOscmX0Kbk

I wouldn't mind if it was stronger on the solos and improvisational aspect, but still pretty nice.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.