[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
green text history of these guys, please?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
green text history of these guys, please?
>>
>brian wilson, his two brothers, his cousin and this weirdo they all knew started a band
>wrote cheesey pop surfing songs despite only one member who actually surfed
>held under tight control of the Wilson Bros. domineering father
>get famous
>as the 60s progress, start to make more varied music
>get rich
>make Pet Sounds
>Brian tries and fails to make SMiLE
>starts to lose his centrist role in band
>put out a bunch of so-so albums through the 70s
>Brian gets fat and crazy, more or less under control by his psychiatrist, his role decreases even less
>Mike Love takes full control (he had a large presence in the early years before Brian came into his own) and they put out a bunch of shit
>sometime later Brian dumps his psychiatrist and gets a little better
>they're all old now and Brian is still pretty crazy
>>
>be 1961
>be on a beach
>be boys
>know literally nothing about surfing
>want beach babes anyway
>make a band, call selves beach boys because not creative yet
>band does pretty good
>get some babes
>one guy Brain Wilson is fantastic autist
>writes crazy fucking good music
>gets too crazy
>doesn't tour anymore
>goes off deep end
>disbanded before could become beach men
>doesn't matter, had sex
>>
>>64269833
>>put out a bunch of so-so albums through the 70s
except most of those albums are great.

>sunflower
>surf's up
>holland
>love you
>la light album

^ not "so so"
>>
was brian ever "normal" at one point or was he always seen as kind of odd?
>>
You missed the acid
>>
>>64269886
shut up faggot
>>
>>64269886
>LA Light
eh not a fan but others are good picks.
carl and the passions is also underrated.
>>
>>64269727
their story is too complicated to condense in a non-meme version, but here you go
>Three brothers, a cousin and a neighborhood friend form a band
>Oldest brother and leader is a mentally ill robot
>Chad cousin is the co-lead singer
>lots of static between the Chad and robot regarding the group's creative output
>robot fucks with the formula, goes crazy
>Chad keeps the band alive through the years
>50 years after the band is formed, Chad cucks robot out of the band
It's a love thing.
>>
>don't
>fuck
>with
>the
>formula
>>
>1961
>beach boys form, managed by Murray Wilson and consisting of Brian, Carl, and Dennis Wilson, cousin Mike Love, and schoolmate David Marks
>1962
>first album released, "Surfin' Safari" is their first hit single
>1963
>explode in popularity, Brian Wilson takes over as producer and lead songwriter
>1964-1965
>more formulaic surf hits with Brian experimenting with production
>1966
>Brian records the album Pet Sounds, which is a revolutionary record in rock and pop production, but it underperforms commercially
>begins working on an ambitious new album called Smile with Van Dyke Parks
>1967
>Smile fails as Brian abuses drugs and his anxiety and mental issues increase
>Beach Boys rush-record Smiley Smile and Wild Honey to try and rectify the popularity that was quickly slipping amidst the psychedelic era
>1968-1973
>all albums become democratically written and produced, Brian sinks further into illness and depression
>some of their best and most underrated work, like Sunflower and Surf's Up, are released
>1974-1977
>an early-career compilation becomes a huge success and brings the beach boys back into the limelight
>they start doing major tours again, and they try to get Brian back in the game
>Brian makes the album Love You, which fails commercially and forces the band to go back to pop-oriented beach rock
>1978-1984
>some of the band's most insipid and mediocre material is released as Brian becomes too depressed, too sick, and too reclusive to work creatively
>a fake-ass psychiatrist named Landy takes control of Brian's entire life, manipulating him with prescription drugs and by taking over all his business and musical affairs
>oh and Dennis dies
>1985-1992
>Brian's friends and family try to get Landy off Brian's case, while the Beach Boys experience a new wave of hits starting with Kokomo
>1993-2010
>Landy is finally forced away from Brian, and he begins the slow road to recovery
>>
>late 1950s, Hawthorne, CA
>the Wilson household consists of father Murray, mother Audree and their three boys, Brian, Dennis and Carl
>Brian is musically gifted, grows up watching his father play piano and is obsessed with vocal group the Four Freshmen
>Brian can play piano and sing well, teaches his family how to harmonize
>Brian receives a reel-to-reel recorder and guitar, learns how to overdub
>Brian starts writing songs, influenced by R&B
>during family gatherings, Brian teaches his cousin Mike Love harmonies
>the Wilson boys and Mike occasionally perform at their high school with their friend Al Jardine
>they eventually form a group and write songs about the California lifestyle (babes on the beach and surfing)
>as The Pendaltones, they record some stuff
>they release a single called Surfin, it blows up
>by this time they change their name to The Beach Boys
>they have some successful hits
>they are under control of the management of the Wilsons father, Murray, who was a very controlling man
>he gets fired in 1964 after the last surfing song they do, I Get Around gets made
>Brian essentially takes full control of the group
>becomes heavily inspired by The Beatles and Phil Spector as the decade goes on
>pens Pet Sounds, begins to suffer from mental illness
>it's a critical success and a huge commercial success in the UK but it's rather lukewarm in the US
>Brian starts dabbling in psychedelic drugs
>tries to make Smile
>loses his mind
continue?
>>
>>64269886
I'm >>64269833, not the guy who called you a faggot

You are right and I would absolutely include Sunflower and Surf's Up in their great albums. I guess I consider those albums (which came in in 70 and 71) to be more in line with their 60s sound. Wiki even says Surf's Up was recorded in 66, January of 1970, and later parts of 1971.

When I talked about so-so 70s albums I really meant MIU, 15 Big Ones, etc. I don't think Holland is that great personally, and I'm guilty of not having listened to those last two. I have heard great things about Love You though
>>
>>64269868
still the best one
>>
>>64269960
>Carl Wilson dies, and a bunch of interwoven lawsuits begin over who gets to use the beach boys name, Mike Love acts like a general dick to everyone
>Brian remakes Smile as a solo album and has a huge tour
>Smile is later reconstructed from the original tapes and released as the Smile Sessions
>2012-Present
>the Beach Bous reunite for a 50th anniversary tour, but stop talking to each other almost immediately after it's done
>Brian does an ongoing tour for Pet Sounds
>>
File: 62585.jpg (48 KB, 310x475) Image search: [Google]
62585.jpg
48 KB, 310x475
I would recommend this for Beach Boys lore
>>
>>64270009
RIP Carl and Dennis

>>64270009
>mfw I saw them in 2012
>>
>>64269971
love you is great but it's also totally different from anything else they've ever made. a lot of it is built around synth work and uses a moog. its a weird record but filled with excellent melodies and songwriting.

it was also made near the peak of brian's insanity
>>
>who cares
>the Beatles > The Beach Boys
>>
File: 1401x788-84884189.jpg (140 KB, 1401x788) Image search: [Google]
1401x788-84884189.jpg
140 KB, 1401x788
>MIKE I SWEAR TO FUCKING GOD IF YOU INSIST TO CHANGE MY FUCKING LYRICS AGAIN I'M GOING TO SLIT YOUR THROAD AND FEED YOUR BODY FOR THE DUNKEYS FROM PET SOUND
>>
>3 brothers, their cousin, and some other guy form a band
>surf rock- so they call themselves the beach boys
>unoriginal name, but get pretty popular
>one of them, Brian, hears Rubber Soul for the first time
>has a eureka moment, and makes Pet Sounds
>did I mention he's really good songwriter?
>is GOAT, because goats on cover
>meanwhile, Brian is starting to lose it
>starts making SMiLE, doesn't finish it
>officially loses it, but stil releases music
> begins doing really crazy things, because he's crazy
>such as selling drugs to his children
>eventually starts recovering
>meanwhile, the remaining Beach Boys are still making music, lead by Brian's cousin Mike
>are shitting out mediocre releases after another
>went back to their roots, and became a nostalgia act
>because hey now,
>it's a love thing
>>
>>64270052
Listening to Solar System on that album makes me so sad, Brian's voice must've deteriorated very fast in the 70s
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.