[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unironically Think this is their best album followed by HCTI
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 319x319
Unironically Think this is their best album followed by HCTI and STGSTV
>>
>>63802304
Interesting ranking, could you explain why?
>>
>>63802325
I like the songwriting first of all, lots of catchy melodies fun choruses and the whole album has a really loud and energetic sound. The transitional pieces were a really nice touch as well, gave the album a cohesive sound that you don't really get in other AnCo albums.

I know a lot of people hate the supposedly muddy production but I really love it. So many different sounds all at once all working together to make really catchy pop songs IMO.

The only weak track is Pulleys, just feels a little lackluster compared to the rest but luckily it's pretty short so no big deal.

It just clicks for me, I think AnCo is at their best when they make catchy pop songs using vague and "weird" techniques or being really noisy and abrasive
>>
>>63802433
What did you think of MPP and Painting With
>>
>>63802433
I'm listening to Chz right now and I see where you're coming from, but a lot of the songs really aren't catchy. The tunes of Father Time, Mercury Man and Pulleys go in one ear and out the other. Admittedly I found myself humming Wide Eyed for almost an hour straight earlier today, but the song-writing is so uninspired when compared to previous AnCo albums.
I feel like AnCo does well when they don't overthink things and go straight from the heart. Chz feels like it's trying too hard, and that's where it loses its magic.
New Town Burnout is the best track. It's the conclusion to Panda's domestic trilogy that started with Chores and Daily Routine and it has both breathing space and power.
>>
>>63802304
nah
Sung Tongs > MPP > Hollinndagain > Strawberry Jam > HCtI > Campfire Songs > Danse Manatee > Painting With > Feels > STGSTV > CHz
>>
>>63802726
>Being this wrong
STGSTV > MPP=>SJ=>Feels > HCTI > CS > PW=ST > CHz=DM > Hollinndagain
>>
>>63802837
>he overrates all their overrated albums
of course
>>
>>63803098
Or alternatively, they're rated highly for a reason.....
>>
File: 1329640515182.jpg (73 KB, 600x615) Image search: [Google]
1329640515182.jpg
73 KB, 600x615
>>63803098
Overrated means, just like the words says, that something is rated, or valued, higher than it deserves. Deserves, huh? This should throw up a flag right away, because how are you supposed to measure how much praise something deserves? To do this, you would have to objectively quantify how good an artist or a piece of art is, which is already impossible. You can argue that there are many qualities that could be quantified objectively, but it still falls apart because everyone values these qualities differently. Someone might agree with Schenkerian analysis that harmony is the most important thing in music, while someone else will definitely argue that innovation is.

You can't measure how 'good' a piece of art or an artist is, and as such it's impossible to measure how much praise it deserves, and how highly it deserves to be valued. Therefore it's idiotic to use a phrase such as "They are overrated". You are still free to say something like "I believe the critics overrated the historical importance of X", because not only are you specifying which aspect you think has been overrated, but you're also specifying who you think is overrating it, and that there's no objectivism at play here - you're simply stating that it is your subjective evaluation that differs from that of someone else's.

What you're actually saying when you use a term like "X are overrated" is really nothing other than "Others like X more than I do".
>>
>>63803142
Yeah, they're highly rated because people overrate them :^)
>>63803166
I've not seen this pasta before
>>
>>63802837
Top tier taste right here
>>
>>63803184
its cause i wrote it myself and its true
>>
>>63802433

Speaking on the "muddy production," while I do agree it is too cluttered at times, for about 5 years the main copy of CHz available on pirate bay was in mono. I'm guessing a fair number of people downloaded this copy before streaming really took off and are basing their opinions on this.
>>
>>63802726
>>63802837
At least we vaguely agree on the placement of Campfire Songs, HCTI, Strawberry Jam, MPP, CHz and Painting With.
>>63803190
Thank you! I might actually swat Hollinndagain and Danse in retrospect... IDK they swap around occasionally.
>>
>>63802304
Do you guys really still want to talk about animal collective I mean haven't we said all there is to say about them
>>
>>63803281
Animal Collective is my favourite band at the moment so yes, I would quite like to talk about them.
>>
>>63803306
OK fair enough I understand it's just there is always so much shot about them you should justake an animal collective general to talk about them.
>>
>>63803325
I replied because I was listening to CHz at the time and so wanted to express my opinion of it. But yes, it's better to keep to an AnCo general thread.
>>
File: 4534534.png (384 KB, 600x596) Image search: [Google]
4534534.png
384 KB, 600x596
>>63802837
>Sung Tongs that low
>>
>>63803453
The first few tracks are great, and there are a few tracks near the back end which are nice, but on the whole it just doesn't appeal to me as much as a lot of their other stuff. It's purely a personal preference.
>>
Feels is their best album
Hollinndagin is the best early AnCo release
>>
>>63803557
name a song that isn't god-tier that's on the second half of the album
>>
Spirit They're Gone > Hollinndagain > Sung Tongs >> Here Comes The Indian > ODDSAC > Merriweather Post Pavillion > Danse Manatee > Feels > Campfire Songs > Strawberry Jam >> Painting With > Centipede Hz

Spirit They're Gone: 9.4/10
Hollinndagain: 8.6/10
Danse Manatee: 7.2/10
Here Comes the Indian: 8.2/10
Campfire Songs: 7.0/10
Sung Tongs: 9.0/10
Feels: 6.8/10
Strawberry Jam: 6.4/10
Merriweather Post Pavillion: 8.1/10
ODDSAC: 8.3/10
Centipede Hz: 5.8/10
Painting With: 4.8/10

Sacre bleu, nu-AnCo
>>
>>63803557
I understand. It would be 10/10 for me if it wasn't Visiting Friends
>>
>>63803642
None of them are god-tier t b h.
Whaddit I Done is a weak closer, College is an amusing throwaway.
>>63803685
I don't mind Visiting Friends so much as a track because it's quite like stuff on CS, but I agree that it sticks out in ST because of its sheer length.
>>63803651
Rating Feels, Campfire Songs and Strawberry Jam below Danse Manatee is a crime, I'm sorry.
>>
>>63803729
Oh yeah, visiting friends would definitely be more suited to Campfire Songs, that's another of my favourites. All of their acoustic works are my favourites including Prospect Hummer
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.