[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HELP ME GET INTO HIP HOP
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: original pirate material.jpg (77 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
original pirate material.jpg
77 KB, 500x500
Been getting more and more into hip hop recently but my knowledge is still very limited.

Stuff I like:
>pic related
>Death Grips cause I'm a memey fuck
>I also like some Clipping.
>Trip hop like Massive Attack and Tricky
>Run The Jewels are sick.
>Madvillainy is very good but not 100% my thing.
>I like a bit of Kanye so I'm gonna check out MBDTF soon.

I'm not really a fan of old school gansta rap.
I don't really like the funky stuff Kendrick does, but I like his jazzier stuff.

Give me some good recs, not all super unknown stuff, I need the gaps in my knowledge filled.
>>
If you don't like 90's gangster rap why the fuck do you want to "get into hip hop"?
>>
>>66407716
"If you don't like nu metal why the fuck do you want to get into metal?"

because I like all the stuff I listed above and want to hear more good stuff.
>>
Great fucking album op. You can stop there if you want.
>>
>>66407661
check out Fyre if you like Death Grips
>>
>>66407661
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIt78w6vZKE
>>
watch the musical Hamilton
>>
>>66407661
What have you heard that's old school gangsta rap that you didn't like?
>>
gangsta rap is literally the only artistically credible from of rap music
>>
>>66409440
shut up cuk
>>
OP I could throw out a bunch of recs if you want.
>>
OP You still here?
>>
youtube.com/watch?v=K4xl1T_lyiM
>>
>>66407661

Check out Big L - Lifestylez ov da Poor and Dangerous or for a more recent one Earl Sweatshirt - Earl is probably my most favorite, coherent rap album since 2010

Kanye MBDTF is a great album

Nas - Illmatic is GOAT if you cant find a song you like in that album you will never be a rap/hip hop fan
>>
>>66407661
ScHoolboy Q
Big K.R.I.T.
Danny Brown
De La Soul
Digable Planets
The Game
Flatbush Zombies
Freddie Gibbs
Future
Aesop Rock
GZA
Hail Mary Mallon
Blueprint
Jay Rock
L'Orange & Jeremiah Jae
Mick Jenkins
milo
Obie Trice
Eminem
Oddisee
Open Mike Eagle
Pharohe Monch
Prhyme
Prince Paul
Shabazz Palaces
Snoopzilla & Dam Funk
Vince Staples
YG
100s
>>
>>66410219
>tfw hip hop fan who thinks Illmatic is overrated
Not bad at all, just not something I really ever listen to.
>>
>>66410246
I don't listen to it that much. maybe once or twice a year. But if you can't appreciate the way that album has influenced other artists I think you are missing out on a lot.
>>
>>66410289
I can, and I love boom bap style hip hop. In fact, Prhyme by Royce and DJ Premier is one of my favourite hip hop albums.

Premo is a god at what he does.
>>
>>66410320
Premier, Dilla, Just Blaze and RZA are my favorite producers
>>
>>66410366
After getting into hip hop in the past few years, it's cool listening to all different artists and trying to recognise the sound and who's behind it all. I'm not great at it, but it's still fun.
>>
>>66407661

Based on what you said pic related should be right up your street.

Maybe Milo.

Have you tried To Pimp A Butterfly? Well known but amazing.
>>
US3 is jazz rap if you're into that OP.
>>
File: 1468197786479.jpg (186 KB, 717x880) Image search: [Google]
1468197786479.jpg
186 KB, 717x880
>>66407661
I recommend you go back to plebbit and stay there.
>>
>>66407661
Look up "golden age hip hop" you fucking nigger
Start with A Tribe Called Quest and De La Soul and branch out from there
>>
>>66410494
kid spotted
>>
File: anarchyintheuk.jpg (125 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
anarchyintheuk.jpg
125 KB, 600x600
>>66410366
wow very original taste
>>
>>66410594
I bet you think Death Grips are still relevant, huh
>>
>>66410546
The only kids here are OP and everyone encouraging him to continue breaking the rules.
>>
>>66410654
you really got me now
>>
>>66407661
Are you retarded? To fill in the gaps in your knowledge just look up "hip hop" on Wikipedia and read you dumb negroid
>>
Pinata by Freddie Gibbs & Madlib is still my fav rap album in the last few years give it a go son go on give it a go
>>
>>66410680
>wanting to play by the rules
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>66410734
>wanting to continue shitting up the board by not directing newfags to the sticky
>>>/suicide/
>>
>>66410779
>directing newfags to the sticky
You mean what you didn't do?
>>
Thank you all for recommendations! I'm gonna make a big list of them before the thread gets lost in the archives.
>>
>>66410832
In my opinion, if they're too retarded to read the first damn post they see on the board, they're hopeless. But all these people for some reason giving recs should have done that.
>>
>>66410698
"dude why ask people for what they think is good like just listen to everything on the internet"

you've probably got loadsa time for this kinda shit but i have to leave my momma's basement from time to time so it helps if people give me recs on what's good to listen to
(also they can recommend me stuff I'm more likely to enjoy, because I gave a few examples of stuff I enjoy. Makes sense? Sick.)
>>
>ctrl+f
>low end theory
>0 results

COME THE FUCK ON.
>>
>>66407661
NWA, yeezy and Cam'ron's Purple Haze are some good starters.
>>
>>66411140
Purple Haze is top 3 2000's rap album for me. Other 2 are Kanye's Graduation and College Dropout desu
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.