[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes an album or artist pretentious?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: spiderland.jpg (46 KB, 628x628) Image search: [Google]
spiderland.jpg
46 KB, 628x628
What makes an album or artist pretentious?
>>
It being popular on /mu/
>>
File: 1467599778316.gif (2 MB, 330x166) Image search: [Google]
1467599778316.gif
2 MB, 330x166
>>66368508
The people who listen to them.

/thread/
>>
File: wee-bey-oh-shit.gif (2 MB, 288x288) Image search: [Google]
wee-bey-oh-shit.gif
2 MB, 288x288
>>66368536
>>
>>66368508
This is the least pretentious album ever. It's more 16 year old edgy than anything
>>
being good but not /that/ good while thinking you're that good
>>
>>66368609
I can see how it's unpretentious, I don't see how it is at all edgy.
>>
>>66368723
t. 16-year-old edgelord
>>
>>66368508
When said artist/album thinks it's saying something important/poignant but it's not. Hopsin is a good example of this.
>>
when an album gets billed as super fucking important or as something that a majority of the population can't understand

Beyoncé's Lemonade is one of the worst albums I have ever heard and everyone acts like its a godsend and that white people and men can't understand it, when in truth I don't understand it because for half of the album she just repeats herself like she's got a fucking stutter

I swear she says "I slay" in Formation 80 times
>>
>>66369630
Yeah I never even bothered to listen to Lemonade, the whole 'dont pretend to understand it if you're white' that some people pushed was seriously laughable.
>>
If I don't like it then it's pretentious
>>
Thinking they're more important/interesting than they actually are, e.g. Kid Cudi claiming Speeding Bullet was the album of the decade
>>
>>66368508
If it doesn't live up to the level of importance that it projects as having or evokes a desire for something without fulfilling it.
>>
The word "artist" implies being pretentious. They should be forbidden by law.
>>
People who create their body of work with the sole intention of success are usually the most pretentious
>>
>>66368536
>/thread/ing your own post

Now that is pretentious
>>
>>66370424
>>66369599
>>66368617
but what if i thought they're right and it's /that/ good?
>>
>>66371496
How do you know that he is the OP?

Furthermore, who is a good example of a pretentious artist?
>>
>>66368508

Pretense.
>>
>>66368508
When it doesn't feel genuine.

Spiderland is not pretentious.
>>
the attitude of the musician/s treating their stuff better than it actually is. say, Win Butler is a pretentious fuck because Arcade Fire is shallow as hell.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.