[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why are Kanye's albums so high-rated by major outlets (AllMusic,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7
File: tf.jpg (97 KB, 600x765) Image search: [Google]
tf.jpg
97 KB, 600x765
why are Kanye's albums so high-rated by major outlets (AllMusic, Rolling Stone, Q)? they're literally rated on par with Zappa's best albums, and Zappa is (imo) a legit genius.

I've found albums I consider 5/5 in most genres and all decades, but rap pretty universally sounds like shit. is the music industry degenerate or something?
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 713x419) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 713x419
Yes, it is degenerate OP

took you this long to figure that out?
>>
File: actual10.jpg (395 KB, 1000x994) Image search: [Google]
actual10.jpg
395 KB, 1000x994
>>66358696
I'm only 19 and just got into seriously listening to music.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 5000x5000
>>66358893
Son, I figured this out at 14
>>
>>66358550
Because they're good
>>
>>66358550
Because in the world of mainstream vapid pop shit, his music isn't as bad.
>>
File: IMG_20160629_190223.jpg (32 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160629_190223.jpg
32 KB, 360x360
>>66358550
"All rap is shit" You have not herd madvillain. Go listen to madvillain and become a circle jerking MF DOOM and madlib fan like the rest for us.
>>
File: bear.png (107 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
bear.png
107 KB, 320x287
>>66359440
alright, I listened. the backing tracks are decent but the vocals are still that boring rap style. maybe it's just a matter of taste.
>>
>>66359663
It's not a matter of taste, it's a matter of how much you've convinced yourself that you must consume black culture in order to not appear ignorant and backwards. There's really no legitimate reason to listen to rap if you're white and middle class, which 99% of /mu/ is.
>>
>>66359816
I'm white and middle class. I enjoy lots of hip hop. Not because I feel that I have to be part of black culture more because of sampling.
>>
File: sick.jpg (146 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
sick.jpg
146 KB, 1680x1050
>>66359816
how did this happen to black culture? Muddy Waters is one of my favorite musicians.
>>
>>66359880
You're an exception to the rule but I imagine the majority are doing it not to feel behind the times
>>
>>66359816
Listen to Young Thug
>>
>>66359997
Are you fucking kidding me? Jesus Christ no. Go strangle a dick with your throat.
>>
>>66359816
>It's not a matter of taste, it's a matter of how much you've convinced yourself that you must consume black culture in order to not appear ignorant and backwards.
Most people listen to a certian type of music just because they like how it sounds.

>There's really no legitimate reason to listen to rap if you're white and middle class, which 99% of /mu/ is
If you seriously believe that listening to a certain type of music should be determined by your racial/ethnic background, there is a fuck ton of music you are denying a chance for such a petty reason.
>>
>>66360789
Thank you. I did not feel like typing this.
>>
>>66360789
>If you seriously believe that listening to a certain type of music should be determined by your racial/ethnic background
It's more a case of rap being so devoid of merrit that relating to the poorly conveyed themes would be the only reason why you would listen to it. That aspect is lost when you're a skinny twerp with a hitler youth cut living with his mother. Leaving you with absolutely nothing.
>>
>>66360855
Or you can be me. A young middle class wight shitter in collage living with mom. The reason I like hip hop is the production that gose behind it. Taking old music and transforming is rad as fuck.
Hip hop os just not about black culture. MF DOOM raps about being a super villan . Mr yote raps about being a piret. What's black about being a piret.
>>
>>66360855
Most people don't listen to music for "themes"
Most people don't even understand music theory
Understanding and relating to either concept is not necessary to enjoy any type of music.
The appeal of hip hop is simple in that it is more beat and rhythm driven than most genres.
People dig catchy beats. I don't even care for hip hop but everyone has a different taste so why stress out for other people for enjoying it?
>>
You must be White
>>
Do you like Kendrick Lamar
>>
>>66359663
>boring rap style
then try some trap shit or something
Lil Uzi Vert
Young Thug
Future
Migos
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.