[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tinnitus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: Unknown.jpg (5 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
Unknown.jpg
5 KB, 299x168
Anybody else have it?
Any suggestions to make it more bearable?
Music recs to mask it out?
>>
I got it thanks to being in band all through middle and high school. You just learn to live with it, and try your best not to make it worse.
>>
>>65716184
Thanks for reminding me, douche bag.

The fix is to simply tune it out and forget, but no, faggots like you remind me that I listen to a shitty ambient/drone song 24/7
>>
>>65716184
One little trick that, for some reason, works for some people:
>Place palms over ears, fingers pointed behind you
>Flick your index finger over your middle finger, clicking on your head
>Repeat 30-50 times
>Release hands from ears

Somehow it works for me with "minor" tinnitus (loud rehearsals, crowds, etc.). I usually just ignore more apparent, extensive damage, though.
>>
>>65717026

Also you're supposed to repeat this multiple times a day. Apparently over time it helps.
>>
>>65717026
yo wtf is this sorcery...?
>>
I'll tell you what my ENT told me: You get used to it.
>>
>>65716817
Shit sorry anon :/
Have some bamboo water fountains. I discovered this seconds after I posted this and it helps a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJaZc4E8Y4U
>>
Staying in silence has helped me to get used to it.
>>
>>65717715
Really?
Mine is way worse when I'm just sitting in silence or trying to sleep
>>
>>65717777
I had that problem too, but staying long times in silence and having only its sound has helped me get used to it when I try to sleep too. Very personal experience though.
>>
I have it too, I have to sleep with at least a fan now at night.

Other than that it doesn't bother me. Maybe when I'm listening to ambient records, then it does.
>>
I've had it since a gig in november. I keep going through cycles where I habituate, but then it gets worse and I freak out again.

It's really bumming me out because I'm starting a new band, and we had a relatively quiet jam last night, I wore earplugs, and yet still my ears are sore today and the tinnitus is slightly worse. I'm not going to quit playing music, so wtf can I do?
>>
>>65718147
YES

for some reason listening to ambient, or even classical, fucks with my tinnitus. anybody else experience this?
>>
>>65718483
see shit like this makes me wonder how the FUCK michael gira still even has ears
>>
>>65718696
maybe some lucky fucks are just less susceptible to tinnitus and noise induced hearing damage
>>
>>65718673
Is it that certain sounds/frequencies make you hear a high pitched whining? If so I have that too, I think it's hearing distortion due to damage and so it's not actually the tinnitus
>>
>>65716817
Start making weird noises with your mouth at random intervals. Now you'll have an OPN song coming from your head.
>>
File: 1435788680274.gif (1 MB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1435788680274.gif
1 MB, 160x160
>Anybody else have it?
Yes.

>Any suggestions to make it more bearable?
It depends on what form your tinnitus has taken. If it's a simple high-pitched ringing, listen to pure white or pink noise at *low* volumes while doing your everyday duties. Intermittently switch between listening to the noise and not listening to anything in particular every hour or every few hours. That's a simple solution for many people, and is the most typical audiologist's suggestion. However, the next one is far more versatile.

>Music recs to mask it out?
This answer ties into the former question.
When you are listening to music, occasionally play your selected pure noise underneath it at a sub-audible volume. The noise should be played such that it does not in any way impair your hearing of musical detail, yet remain significant enough for you to, at the very least, unconsciously recognize that it is present even when you are not *focused* on the music. This exercise helps the brain recognize that there's something wrong with it processing (hence the tinnitus, of course) and almost universally alleviates symptoms - this is a slight variant on a pragmatic audiologist's approach to prescribing treatment; the sole difference being the weakness of its time limits (below). That's not to say you won't still hear the ringing, but it will have become quieter or less prevalent for a certain amount of time. The exercise should not be performed for more than 2-3 hours at a time, or its effects can diminish or entirely nullify and the exercise will have become pointless. Trust me when I say that this approach is virtually flawless, and has improved my life significantly. I've had tinnitus since birth, and this is the only means for me to come close to hearing silence. I've never heard silence in my entire life, but this has brought me as close as I can dream.

Tinnitus is one of the most difficult 'invisible ailments' to deal with, and I take it extremely seriously. Try my suggestions, please.
>>
Since this is tinnitus general, try out listening to Kevin Drumm's "Lower" it is essentially a song that is the opposite of tinnitus.

https://kevindrumm.bandcamp.com/album/2014-everythings-going-along-as-usual-and-then-all-shit-breaks-loose
>>
>>65718673
>>65718810
This is correct, to an extent. Because each case of tinnitus is unique in how the brain handles and processes its input/output, certain pitches, timbres, volume, and certain noises in general can and will aggravate your tinnitus. It's very important to learn what sounds or sound qualities 'trigger' an aggravation, so that you can avoid them. If you visit an ENT or an audiologist, they will be able to help you find these triggers if you are unable to do so yourself.
>>
>>65719435
God bless you, man.
You gave me more advice than the ENT I went to.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.