[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of the Red Hot Chili Peppers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8
File: REDHOT.jpg (114 KB, 1420x1420) Image search: [Google]
REDHOT.jpg
114 KB, 1420x1420
What does /mu/ think of the Red Hot Chili Peppers?
>>
One of my favorite bands of the 80s
>>
>>65597407
No joke. After Mother's Milk it's a pretty mixed bag.
>>
They were my favorite band at one point but Anthony Kiedis kind of ruined them for me in the end. Also, when John left I didn't care about them at all anymore.
>>
sucked before john, sucked after john left, and suck after john left again. i miss john.
>>
>>65597327
Odd bunch. Imo they're at their best with external help. By The Way (lead by Frusciante) and One Hot Minute (with the help of Navarro) are their best albums imo. Blood Sugar Sex Magic is also fantastic. Californication is also pretty good. The rest is unlistenable garbage, specially their earliest stuff.

Some of their new songs were alright, kinda want to see how their next album will turn out.
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 300x300
Best RHCP record coming through
>>
>>65597619
Faith No More and Mr. Bungle pretty much shit all over anything RHCP ever done. RHCP's best is better than FNM's worst though.
>>
>>65597619
Nope
>>
>>65597513
>i miss john
Not to compare the two, but this reminds me of Blur with and without Graham Coxon. With Graham their songs are fucking great and well structured. Without Graham their songs become meandering farts of Damon Albarn.
>>
>>65597619
rip-off of rhcp and it isn't even that catchy
>>
>>65597327
Love them. Grew up hearing them on LA radio, but I didnt truly appreciate their genius until I bought Stadium Arcadium. Wow what an album.

My favorite RHCP songs:
Wet Sand
The Zephyr Song
Parallel Universe
Californication
Other Side
Aeroplane
>>
I think they're fucking shit, I've tried to loosen up and appreciate them but I just don't like 'em at all

good for a radio listen now and then, though. I like that new tune on the radio by them.
>>
>>65597619
shitty dated RHCP knockoff.
>>
>>65598222
If you think this shit, you deserve to die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWNDW5KtiKk
>>
File: Booty breath.jpg (23 KB, 357x415) Image search: [Google]
Booty breath.jpg
23 KB, 357x415
Anynon got a link to their new shizz yet?
>>
File: Link.jpg (4 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
Link.jpg
4 KB, 240x180
>>65600011
how's that for a link, brutha?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjnPvuwj4VM
This is such a cool video.
>>
>>65597327
Great band. They've had too many huge radio hits since Californication and many will find them overplayed. But there's so much to love if you start with the debut and go from there.

That being said I actually do enjoy a lot of their newer stuff and am looking forward to the new album.
>>
>>65597513
>not liking freakey styley
>putting shit like stadium arcadium above uplift mofo party plan

Pleb plz go
>>
>>65602146
A TALKING DOLPHIN SPOKE TO ME
>>
Big fan of Californication as a comeback record. It's pretty strong. Otherside is a great pop song that bites 'A Night Like This' by The Cure. You can hear it easy if you play guitar or bass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXXKdPsgiuY
>>
>>65597327
shit
>>
I miss john
>>
>>65597327
Too many lineup changes for their own good

They're nothing without Frusciante
>>
>>65600011
Dude reviewers have it, there has to be at least one cocksucker who doesn't care and will leak it
>>
>>65602318
>referencing the one song that is completely unlike the rest of the album, let alone anything during that period
>>
>>65597327
californication is one of the worst mastered albums I've ever heard

other than that, bretty gud
>>
>>65602318
Fucking killer song.
>>
They're great, not just the music but because they don't take themselves too seriously. That being said though, without John the music sucks. That man is a genius and the main reason RHCP have the popularity that they do today.

Album ranking from best to worst:
BSSM
Californication
By The Way
Mothers Milk
Freaky Styley
One Hot Minute
Uplift Party Mofo Plan
I'm With You
Self titled debut
>>
>>65606515
Oh I forgot Stadium Arcadium, I'd put that just under Mothers Milk
>>
The sycophant band. Got famous cause they were 'cute dudes about town'. Never made any actual music. Still don't. Their techniques are all neglectable. It's a pity pplgo to them for musicrearing, as they're the worst thing to learn stuff from. Yes, frusciante used to slightly abort from that,but he's too mechanicalist as tutor. Frusciante got it all from barret bolan bowie & the structural ideas one can find in, for instance, kate bush. It is better to learn from those guys, rather than thedemonjohn53000. Hillel had a very original approach though.
>>
>>65607001
wat? John, Flea and Chad are some of the most talented musicians not only as songwriters but proficiency in their respective instruments. That's not even debatable its fact, John has frequently made top 10 in 'greatest guitarist of all time' lists, Flea and Chad rank in the top 1 or 2 in lists for bass players and drummers.

They are probably one of the most talented and technically proficient group of all time
>>
>>65597654
Nah, there's a point where "quirky ironic music" gets very stale and Mr. Bungle crossed that threshold long ago.
>>
For some reason /mu/ seems to hate this band and I really don't know why. It can't be because of their popularity so I'm going to pin it down to their fanbase being annoying and retarded. Blood Sugar Sex Magik is easily of the best albums of the 90s and the band as a whole is very consistent yet always trying new things. They have a perfect blend between technicality and musicianship and they're probably one of the best live bands still around.
>>
>>65607799
If Grimes, NMH or Swans became a 'mainstream popular' band like RHCP, they would be universally hated here
>>
>>65607676
>Flea and Chad rank in the top 1 or 2 in lists for bass players and drummers

they're good but come on.
Anyway lists don't mean shit
>>
>>65607857
Literally name a few bass players or drummer better than Flea or Chad.

>Anyway lists don't mean shit
When people vote on them they do matter, not to mention they consistently place in the top 1 or 2 in many different lists
>>
>>65597327
There earlier Funk/Punk shit was their best, I started to lose interest after Mother's Milk and stopped listening completely after Californication. They were there best when they didn't take them self seriously.
>>
>>65607872
bassits: geddy lee (shit music but talent), Victor wooten, chris squire, stanley clarke....

drummers: Neil peart(shit music), bill bruford, ginger baker, billy cobham, carl palmer,....

really pleb choices and still 100 times more influential and talented than flea and chad smith, who are really good musicians, i'm not denying it but come on, not even close to number 1 o 2.

Lists don't mean shit
>>
>>65608038
Your list is subjective. RHCP (Flea and Chad) are infinitely more influential than any of those that you listed
>>
>>65608069
whatever man. be a pleb
>>
>>65608088
>everyone who disagrees with me is a pleb

yeah okay mate
>>
>>65608122
we agree that they're good musicians but you can't seriously say that they're the best, and get away with it.
boy
>>
>>65608151
As far as we can go empirically with something like this, they are
>>
>>65608161
oh my god...

so much wrong with your whole point
>>
>>65608161
explain to me how chad smith is better than any of the drummers i listed earlier

the same with flea

since we're being empirical
>>
>>65608186
why don't you actually rebut my point other than doing the usual 'omg no ur wrong'. Usually when one reverts to that they know they are wrong
>>
>>65608219
cause trying to rebut your point is like arguing with religious people

'You can't prove that God doesn't exist, so he's real!'

anyway you didn't explain how flea and chad smith are the best as you claim

all i'm saying is you can ultimately say that any musician is number 1, especially just because of a fucking list
>>
>>65608212
Flea at number 2
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/rolling-stone-readers-pick-the-top-ten-bassists-of-all-time-20110331/2-flea-0428412

http://www.nme.com/photos/40-of-the-greatest-bassists-of-all-time---picked-by-nme-readers/345517

http://www.thetoptens.com/bassists/

I could do the same for Chad. Voting systems are the best we can do for empirical measurements of who is the 'best' because it removes a single persons subjective opinion
>>
>>65608288
I never said they are THE best I said they are one of the best
>>
>>65608038
>Rush
>shit
>>
File: 1464478028612.jpg (9 KB, 236x172) Image search: [Google]
1464478028612.jpg
9 KB, 236x172
their music is too hot for my liking
>>
nice singles but all their albums are fucking boring

they just go on and on when they have like maybe 30 minutes of good material
>>
jane's is way better

ritual de lo habitual is better than anything rhcp ever did
>>
I find it really hard to understand why in a scene that produced amazing bands like Jane's Addiction, Fugazi, Hüsker Dü, fIREHOSE, Beat Happening, The Replacements, and R.E.M., it was the painfully bland, awful RHCP that made it biggest
>>
>>65608396
Everything Jane's Addiction did is better than anything RHCP did - even Jane's Addiction's shitty reunion album is better than RHCP in their prime
>>
>>65607001
>Never made any actual music. Still don't.

O
>>
>>65597327
A waste of Flea and chad Smith's time and talent.
>>
>>65607676
They are a fantastic rhythm section, especially Flea. But among the best of all time? Nah. They're exceptional for a mainstream Rock band though.
>>
>>65607799
Honestly I don't think it's the fan base. I don't pay attention to fanbases a whole lot but from what I've noticed RHCP fans tend to be really polite and genuinely excited about music.

They also tend to be young and into maisntream Rock which is annoying I suppose. But at least they're not egotistical fucks or arrogant and pretentious hipsters.

I agree with everything else you said though. I think the majority of the hatred for them come from how popular they are and how many of their biggest hits have a similar vibe. For such an eclectic and always changing band their biggest hits do sound a bit samey and get overplayed.

But having read a lot about them and seen a lot of interviews with them I know they're an extremely humble group of guys and their approach to music is extremely emotional, spiritual and genuine. They get REALLY into it.

Oh and they're great at jamming during shows because they know when to stop.
>>
>>65608069
>RHCP (Flea and Chad) are infinitely more influential than any of those that you listed
Flea probably is more influential than most bassits before or after today. At least in the top 5 for most people but he is probably more well known than even Geddy Lee, Victor Wooten, Les Claypool, Chris Squire.

As for Chad Smith though? He's almost definitely not more influential than Neil Peart, Bill Bruford or Ginger Baker. Obviously these things are impossible to measure but I rarely hear Smith referenced among drummers. Flea is constantly talked about though.

That being said neither should be considered in the top 2 of ALL TIME for their respective instruments. Especially not Chad Smith, although I do think he's a fantastic drummer.
>>
>>65607676
... From a popviewpoint, but that's worth nada. They rank nowhere with the real musician's world. In fact, they are heavily hated by it. Hillel had some novel things... For the rest, garbage. Also... 'magazines'. N' Before you even try, with you lot's little girl rhetorics crapp, it is not 'snobbistbiach', 'n' to point out that craftsmen that are good, are.
>>
File: 14-Musicians-Are-Some.jpg (40 KB, 570x366) Image search: [Google]
14-Musicians-Are-Some.jpg
40 KB, 570x366
>>65597327
>>
The peppers, once frusciante moved in, were the first grunge band. Frusciante, from his visual arts background also, introduced this 'lessismorelllladies'grungebullshit. ... Then you can also note, only after ripping jeff buckley off gregariously, did radioheadtillyouburnitup, become 'theradiohead that disgusts anyone who can tell a real composition from a plodger with a toy rammed up his nogg.'. Ie, rode the grungeaftermathwave. The peppers and radiohead are a piggybank, music should never be a piggybank. Music is precious, and there is nothing better. Nothing teaches the young better than music does. And therefore it should be kept away from bussiness at all costs. Sorry for going on and on.
>>
>>65608801
I agree its all subjective, but if the only way we have to measure empirically suggests that they are indeed among the best in the world

>>65609216
>They rank nowhere with the real musician's world
They are 'real' musicians? Just because you don't like them doesn't make them any less of musicians. Your view point is 'worth nada'.

>Also... 'magazines'. N' Before you even try, with you lot's little girl rhetorics crapp, it is not 'snobbistbiach', 'n' to point out that craftsmen that are good, are.
That literally makes no sense, try and construct your post better when you reply
>>
Come on, who could hate them? Californication was the first album a lot of us ever owned.
>>
>>65609420
Eat a dick, johnbeth.
>>
>>65610856
great comeback boss
>>
>>65611172
Fuck off, Slackjawwedniggerdweeb.
>>
File: stoposting.gif (2 MB, 352x200) Image search: [Google]
stoposting.gif
2 MB, 352x200
>>65612105
>>
>>65612486
Suck a kong, knightpagepopse.
>>
I like their early albums better, felt more original. Everything they did is fine up to "By the Way".
Everything after "Stadium Arcadium" felt bland and more of the same.

IMO
>>
>>65613139
They went on automatic pilot, frusciante and them. Yeah... Shame... There were instances where frusciante showed promise, young, just like hillel.
>>
>>65613694
I do think they're very happy making said music. Huhm... i think they have little interest in making waves anymore. Josh is just someone who loves to play, and i think that influenced them and john enormously. Yes.
>>
>>65609420
>they are indeed among the best in the world
You keep lowering your standards. Among the best in the world isn't the same as one of the top 2 in their respective fields.

Either way just because you found a few magazines where they're ranked high doesn't mean you're correct empirically. Do you have any idea how many lists of greatest drummer and bass players there must be out there? There' no way you could compile them all and come out with the results of who is most commonly listed.
>>
Not an awful band, but easily one of the most overrated.
>>
Blood Sugar Sex Magik is one of the best albums of the 90's
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.