[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /mu/'s opinion on this gentle soul?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: Neil-Young.jpg (46 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
Neil-Young.jpg
46 KB, 630x420
What's /mu/'s opinion on this gentle soul?
>>
He isn't Ayreon, so he should KYS
>>
He's made ALOT of music, only a few albums of which are actually good. But those albums are really damn good.
>>
>>65424645
which ones anon?
>>
>>65424725
>God tier
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
Harvest
After The Gold Rush
All his stuff with CSNY
>Pretty good tier
On The Beach
La Noise
Psychedelic Pill
>Not so good tier
Everything else
>>
>>65424855

To be fair, he releases his bad stuff. A lot of musicians write in similar volumes as him and refuse to release what most people wouldn't like.

He's done a great job. Also, have you given Rust Never Sleeps a listen? I know the album is full of cliches but it is raw, emotional, and driven by great story telling. It really reflects an interesting mindset for Neil.
>>
Probably one of the top 5 greatest rock songwriters, either in spite of his mercurial nature or because of it, which is maddening when you're searching for some of the great tunes that got lost on bad albums. For example, most of the stuff he was going to put on Homegrown is amazing (Little Wing, Deep Forbidden Lake, etc.) but it's often tough to find or he never formally recorded and released it.
>>
the live album at Massey hall is one my all time favorites. singer/songwriter that plays incredibly well, has beautiful songs and keeps your attention. extremely sincere, polished playing. great voice, really intimate sound.

he's one of those artists that just sounds as natural as could be....like he is only himself......
>>
>>65424925
>Also, have you given Rust Never Sleeps a listen?
I've only heard Keep on Rockin' In The Free World and it's a good song for sure. Perhaps that album needs to go in the pretty good tier.
>>
>>65424925
Cliches?

>>65424931
A lot of definitive versions there, like See the Sky About to Rain, I Am a Child, On the Way Home, Old Man, and Love in Mind sound much better than they do on the albums.
>>
My grandpa used to buy and sell trains for Neil back in the 70s and 80s. He was obsessed with Lionel trains.

When my grandpa first saw Neil at a train convention he thought he was a dirty welfare hippie. He almost didn't let him near his booth but he saw his kid with cerebral palsy and slipped him some classic Lionel figurines. Neil bought an entire train set from him later and then Neil kept visiting him when he was selling trains. Eventually when Neil Young bought Lionel trains my grandfather worked for him flying all over the place collecting trains and telling him about what was hot at different train conventions.

Supposedly Neil invited my grandpa up to his ranch in North California but my grandpa never took him up on the offer.
>>
>>65425081
Rockin' In the Free World has quite a few cliches in the song (but the song is absolutely terrific). That's the most cliche song on the album. The rest is fairly original.

>>65424964
Check out My My, Hey Hey, and Powder Finger

Also, you might like the song Cortez the Killer (from Zuma) and No More
>>
>>65425081
really like "bad fog of lonliness" on it too.

"Dance Dance Dance" i loved, and then was disappointed to find the final recorded versions of it, including some not even by Neil, didn't match up.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk9YFjiciM8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed2r8cAyvEo

worst part is Ronstadt's version has 10x more views
>>
>>65424964
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ123T3zD2k

Rust Never Sleeps is loaded with Neil classics
>>
>>65425196
Yeah, Neil was a bit of a kindred spirit to Springsteen, especially on that album; those "anthems" often hide a bigger message. "Rockin' in the Free World" was his "hear, hear" to "Born in the U.S.A." pretty much, it's so anti-American, and "Hey Hey, My My" is a much more intelligent statement on the then-current state of rock 'n' roll than it seems.

>>65425256
I really like Neil's Love Is a Rose off the Decade compilation, though. I think I like it better than the Dance, Dance, Dance original, but it's nice on Massey Hall how the crowd gets into it, really enhances the song. Also, it's very cool how you can see how his songs evolved on that album. It was only upon listening to it how I realized Old Man was basically a sequel to I Am a Child, and Bad Fog of Loneliness is a cool variation on Needle and the Damage Done (though Bad Fog came first I believe).
>>
>>65424931
I love that album. Neil is better live. Massey hall were great recordings of Neil. He really has a great feel for melody and emotion. Great musician.
>>
seen him a few times, i like harvest and after the gold rush, probably his best albums ever. So much soul. Just never ever look up monsanto days fuck that
>>
His best work is good enough for about 10 artists so even his shit work is outweighed
>>
>>65425419
His best work are songs that are unforgettable. Really an idiosyncratic genius who is not afraid to release whatever he's feeling.
>>
>>65425129
I was expecting some autistic pasta but instead i got a decent story. What happened /mu/?
>>
Loved him in Buffalo Springfield.
His solo career aint too shabby, either.
>>
>>65424855
>implying rust never sleeps isnt god-tier
>>
>>65424964
wut, thats not even on that album
>>
>>65427349
oh wow I totally got that wrong
>>
>>65424855

On The Beach just pretty good? Sorry friendo that's his best album
>>
>>65427524
It's definitely kept from the top by the botched version of See the Sky and the lame-ass Vampire Blues.
>>
>>65427524
>On The Beach is his best album
I never really got this meme. It's not even funny it's just wrong.
>>
>>65424855
since you had his CSN&Y stuff in the God Tier, you might as well add the Buffalo Springfield 2 first LP.
>>
>>65424855
Tonight's The Night is brilliant.
>>
He's as good as alex g
>>
daily reminder Down By The River is his best song
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.