[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does the majority of /mu/ continue to listen to objectively
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 209
Thread images: 21
Why does the majority of /mu/ continue to listen to objectively inferior music? In a world with Bach and Mark Andre, why would someone willingly subject themselves to substandard trash like Kanye West? Are you all content with consuming the musical equivalent of horseshit?
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 232x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 232x300
>>65404828
ok but do you like dinosaur jr
>>
>>65404828
check the stones
>>
No Kanye is shit
>>
>>65404847
When I want to listen to something that incorporates noise or dissonance I try to avoid simplistic, derivative garbage.
>>
>>65404828
Bach is good, but I like Vivaldi too.
>>
File: image.jpg (99 KB, 634x718) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99 KB, 634x718
>>65404875
yes and what of Bowie, horseshit or does he bring pop music to high art?
>>
File: ShriCamel.jpg (215 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
ShriCamel.jpg
215 KB, 500x500
Bach can't into meditative vibes like Riley can
>>
>>65404921
He's great too, yes.
>>
>>65404934
Horseshit. Bowie was faux avant garde at best, at worst he was a walking lesson in brilliant marketing.
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 500x641) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 500x641
>>65404986
surely these lads have some merit?
>>
>>65404828
What do you think of Mister Scientist here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T3tg6Xwt7A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8LjzHKMLh4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QG8GwqhBO8
>>
>>65405080
Less merit than Bowie. He could at least be described as a good performer, even if he performed subpar material. Radiohead have offered less than nothing to the popular music landscape, let alone music in general. There is hardly anything in their catalogue that isn't lifted wholesale from other artists, and made consumable to dolts who ignorantly describe their music as "innovative."
>>
>>65405135
I have some fondness for dub from a cultural perspective, but aesthetically I find it to be painfully dull.
>>
I like music with drums.
>>
>>65405158
I can understand why a powerful sense of rhythm would be appealing to an idiot.
>>
>>65405136
Silly bugger
>>
>>65405175
what if the classical music has the drums
>>
Shit on blues music for me
>>
Bach is fucking garbage compared to Buxtehude, who is the reason he even gathered any sort of technical merit at all
>>
>>65405136
I'll ask it this way, are there any "groups" from say, 1950 onward that write <5 minute "songs" on average ("pop group"/"band") that you consider worthy of praise or innovative?
>>
>>65405214
><5 minute "songs"
Holy fuck are you a pleb
>>
How is it possible to enjoy classical music in the present day? It's attitudes towards the world and mankind and God and such are so fundamentally misguided. How is it possible to treat as anything other than romantic escapism?
>>
>>65404986
>faux avant garde
You just lost all credibility there, pal
>>
>>65405136
Why does music need to "offer" something "innovative?"
>>
>>65405175
I can understand why a bunch of unmemorable melodies would be appealing to a pseudo-intellectual.
>>
>>65405229
this is the norm isn't it? considering he rejected 2 of the most popular "pop" artists I figured I'd ask if it was the form he really took issue with, popular music in general....not just kanye west
>>
>>65405214
"groups" are never worthy of praise, only trained composers.

>>65405230
The attitudes dont matter when the music is so great and enjoyable to listen to.
also modern classical exists.
>>
>>65405187
Not OP, but Buxtehude is fucking great. Membra Jesu Nostri is some of the greatest music of all time. Also Bowie and Radiohead are good. Art of Fugue and St. Matthews Passion are some of the greatest works of art in history, too.
>>
>>65405263
Okay I think you've just exposed yourself as a true plebeian if all you care about is whether or not music is pleasant to listen to regardless of context and meaning.
>>
>>65405247
He doesn't think so, because Bach was not innovative.
>>
>>65405184
It depends on how they're utilized, when you say "I like drums" I assume you are referring miserable genres such as EDM and nearly all rock music. Wherein the drums are little more than a simplistic, loud, repetitive pattern for morons to bob their heads to.

>>65405186
I enjoy the blues for its authenticity, at it's best it's quite soulful and moving, despite being simple. It, at least in its early stages, cannot be accused of being overly polished, consumable trash. My favorite blues artist is Skip James, by the way.

>>65405247
If it does not advanced the art form in some way then it offers nothing to anyone outside of escapism. Accepting things that don't advance that art form leads to stagnation and decay.

>>65405250
If you think Bach's melodies are unmemorable it is only because your ears are incapable of processing counterpoint, to be expected of a subhuman.
>>
>>65405282
Your ignorance would be astounding if it weren't so banal.
>>
>>65404828
I agree that Kanye West is total horseshit.
But Bach was the Kanye of baroque.
That's why you should listen to Fugazi.
>>
>>65405290
You are astonishingly hypocritical, either a troll or a wannabe intellectual who only mimics the ideas of others without true comprehension.
>>
>>65405263
The attitudes do matter. They become museum pieces and 'muh special music' otherwise

Enjoy your fugues alone in a dark room friendo
>>
>>65405315
Clearly troll
>>
>>65405290
I haven't listened to bach. When I hear classical music on the radio, it usually seems like a stream of related ideas rather than something emotionally moving. People say they listen to classical music to relax, and I get it, since it tends to be hard to pay attention to.
>>
>>65405323
>Enjoy your fugues alone in a dark room friendo
I actually do. Fugues are great!

>>65405280
wouldn't a patrician enjoy good music in any genre / form / attitude?
>>
>>65405315
Yes, keep throwing around your baseless assertions, whatever will mend your fragile ego.

>>65405323
Yes, because enjoying something in solitude is clearly a sign of being deficient in some fashion. Are you so insubstantial that you can only enjoy things in the company of other morons?

>>65405345
This is because you can only pay attention to things that are so blunt and lacking in subtlety that you have lost the ability to appreciate compositional craft. It is unsurprising, the culture encourages this.
>>
File: the boys.jpg (75 KB, 858x641) Image search: [Google]
the boys.jpg
75 KB, 858x641
>>65404828
What do you think about The Boysâ„¢?
>>
Bach is good stuff, i listened to a compilation of his on YouTube and found it very enjoyable.
>>
>>65405371
I have no idea who they are.
>>
>>65405345
>I haven't listened to bach
wtf have you been doing with your life? damn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqXZtGyFyDo
>>
>>65405383
They're The Boysâ„¢
>>
I am all for classical, but do you like any modern music?
>>
>>65405301
Great and informative reply. Bach was not innovivative, he was a perfector. He mastered baroque polyphony and counterpoint, but what did he do that was innovative?
>>
>>65405399
Is this some kind of meme?

>>65405452
Modern classical and some jazz.
>>
>>65405313
worst bait of all time
>>
>>65405475
He pushed polyphony and counterpoint to its technical limits, he advanced every concept that existed in the baroque era, save for opera. That is why I referred to him as an innovator and not an inventor. The two terms are not the same thing.
>>
>>65405476
Okay, so you're one of those people who think they're abow rock. Do you have any musical education?
>>
File: th1nk1n f3e1134s.jpg (94 KB, 770x513) Image search: [Google]
th1nk1n f3e1134s.jpg
94 KB, 770x513
favorite tful282 song ? ? ?

theyre rock music for smart ppl like me
>>
>>65405523
I am not above rock, there is some rock I enjoy, however, none of it is modern.
>>
>>65405525
From what I've heard of them, I'd say my favorite is Hurricane.
>>
>>65405511
Okay, i can see that.
>>
>>65405547
good choice

I would be your friend. Try Mother of all Saints if you haven't already
>>
>>65405369
I don't like "subtlety", but I do like complexity, and noticing things I haven't before on subsequent listens, which is in itself a kind of subtlety. I try to compose music that excites me, and is to the point. I did grow up in modern times, which reflects in my aesthetic values, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Hundreds of years ago, entertainment via music was rare, so it was more valuable to have it last longer. The scarcity is gone.
>>65405388
Before playing this, I was listening to Rush. The only thing catching my ear is how bassy one of the string instruments sounds. The Harpsichord part around 3:06 is pretty nice. I wish there were some hooks or strong themes. I don't disrespect Bach. He seems like one of the best of his period and that seems pretty agreed upon.
>>
ITT: A bunch of retards trying to get their taste in music justified as "acceptable" by some wannabe-intellectual moron.
>>
>>65405534
Okay. I sorry for making false assumptions. What bands do you like?
>>
>>65405534
Give this a listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt9X8eXboZ4
>>
>>65405571
I just want to see if he has good taste and ridicule him if he doesn't.
>>
>>65405571
Neck youreself m8

I'm sure OP is a smart and knowledgeable person who reads big books for smart adults unlike you
>>
thoughts on pop, OP? surely you must appreciate brian wilson at his prime
>>
>>65405567
>I wish there were some hooks or strong themes
The entire piece is based on 1 single theme.

>>65405452
Modern classical. Traditional music as well of course

>>65405523
I have a music degree
>>
>>65404828
Some contribute more than others but no one contributes nothing. We get how cool you are, though. GREAT JOB.
>>
>>65405615
Must be a pretty boring theme for me to not have picked up on. I'm not gonna spend an hour listening to music I feel mostly indifferent about though.
>>
>>65405560
I haven't heard anything save for the EP, I'll give it a shot eventually.

>>65405567
If you like discovering new things on consequent listens then classical music is something you should reconsider. I would start with Bach, and if he doesn't strike your fancy, move on to the Romantics, such as Schubert. Their more bombastic style would be more to your liking.

>>65405571
I'm sure that your intellect is staggering based off of that oh-so substantial post.

>>65405577
I quite like King Crimson and Robert Wyatt. I also enjoy Zappa and Beefheart. There's more but I don't feel like exhaustively listing every rock band I've had passing affection for.

>>65405609
I like a few Beach Boys singles but that's about it. At his best he made pop music that, while saccharine and overwrought, was certainly enjoyable.

>>65405621
If the contribution is insignificant and insubstantial then it may as well have never existed. I am not saying that popular music is devoid of enjoyment, I am saying it is devoid of depth. I expect to hear the typical aesthetic relativism argument that boils down to intellectually insecure dipshits projecting depth onto crap instead of actually challenging themselves.
>>
>>65404986
could not agree more
>>
>>65405669
>I'm sure that your intellect is staggering based off of that oh-so substantial post.

That was just an observation, and you know it's true.
>>
>>65405653
eh its 300 year old music, dont expect it to satisfy your every modern urge.

This site breaks down art of fugue, gives an insight into its construction. Popular music just doesn't get close to this kind of economy of material.
https://www.teoria.com/en/articles/kdf/

You can click play to hear the theme, then click Contrapunctus I to see how bach uses that 1 theme to create the rest of the piece. Truly a master composer at the top of his game.
>>
>>65405706
Hardly, it is merely a projection of intellectual insecurity on your part. At least the rest of these people had something to add to this thread, even if some of it was idiotic. Your attempt to assert your individuality on an anonymous image board are both puzzling and pathetic.
>>
>>65405669
>If the contribution is insignificant and insubstantial then it may as well have never existed. I am not saying that popular music is devoid of enjoyment, I am saying it is devoid of depth. I expect to hear the typical aesthetic relativism argument that boils down to intellectually insecure dipshits projecting depth onto crap instead of actually challenging themselves
Who inspired Bach, though? Who was he ripping off? Oh wait, nobody. It was no one's shit.
>>
>>65405763
You are arguing against something I never said or implied, the baroque composers that Bach drew inspiration from are rightfully celebrated for advancing music, your favorite derivative indie rock band cannot stake such a claim.
>>
>>65405615
What old rock bands do you like?
>>
>>65404828
>Why does the majority of /mu/ continue to listen to objectively inferior music?
Marketing.

Dumb people lap up whatever is marketed to them. Whatever is played on the radio, whatever sites like pitchfork recommend them.

Its not their fault, its a very effective mechanism to get people to enjoy fairly low quality music.
>>
File: d.jpg (53 KB, 500x448) Image search: [Google]
d.jpg
53 KB, 500x448
What do you think about the best composers of 21th century Spencer Clark and James Ferraro?
>inb4 you dont know them
>>
>>65405790
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9z4uYEKvJw
>>
>>65405669
I'm not closed off to classical music. Honestly it seems a bit hard to get into, due to the fact that Ilisten to albums, but there don't seem to be any definitive albums. The Rite of Spring really struck me when I got lost in a city I was living in (it felt very fitting), and I have an interest in Brian Ferneyhough's music.
Classical music just doesn't excite me or make me feel emotionally involved a lot of the time. There are great, catchy, ubiquitous things, but they're not in the majority from what I'm understanding.
This is a song from my favorite album, and it has a lot going on, despite being very direct. Because it's very direct, and it's easy to "get inside of" it's immediacy and proclivity to change often and be playful and unpredictable. I found myself noticing subtle melodies and synths in it on subsequent listens, which increased it's replayability immensely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dylTq8wbxmY
>>65405724
I don't, but then again, I'm not the type of person to go completely out of my way to factor in context for how "good" something is.
I think that advances in technology have legitimately allowed for better music to be made by more people.
I've been drinking, so I'll probably close it soon after, but I'll take a look at the link.
>>
>>65405829
I don't know them.
>>
>>65405804
old rock backs generally suck, but ELP are pretty cool.

Obviously I went through phases of liking led zep, beatles, floyd, stones, etc. but I was a teenager back then and listening to pretty much whatever I could find, from Hive dnb to gatecrasher, classical, metal, hip hop, the works.
After a 10 year death metal / grindcore phase I eventually settled on classical music. Its written by genius trained composers, and keep me interested, and is hugely varied over the last 500 years, from Renaissance polyphony to New Complexity in the 20th century, and all the common practice music in between. No other music really compares to the variety, quality and depth of classical.
>>
>>65405755
Yes, I'm definitely very intellectually insecure. I am also very puzzling and pathetic. Thank you random smart person on the internet, thanks a lot. But I'm still right though, and there's no point in you denying it.
>>
>>65405855
>I think that advances in technology have legitimately allowed for better music to be made by more people.
Actually the opposite is true. Now any teenager can download fruityloops and make shitty music, whereas back in the day the only way to make music was to be employed by a church or noble and you had to be properly trained before that happened.

Technology helped guys like Stockhausen in the late 50s make electronic masterpieces, and it did help the spectralists analyse waveforms in the 80s, but it hasn't done much for advancing the actual writing.
>>
>>65405763
They're celebrating because he was inspired by them. Had he been as narrow-minded as you we'd have no idea that they ever existed.
>>
>>65405957
The more you keep saying it the more true it becomes. Whatever makes you feel good.
>>
>>65405962
Untrue. They're celebrated for being geniuses in their own right, not just because they contributed to Bach's development. That's like saying Haydn wouldn't be remembered if it wasn't know he had influenced Mozart, it's a retarded argument and false equivalency.
>>
>>65405974
I'm glad that your autistic overlord mind finally decided to give me peace.
>>
>>65405961
I'm not talking about who's doing what, but what the advances allow those who will do great things to do.
What is "great" is based on your own standards, but the availability of sounds increases yearly. Unless you think literally everyone is dysgenic, this should be a good thing.
>>
>>65406007
I never denied you peace, the unrest you feel in yourself is the aforementioned insecurity. Do not blame me for your problems.
>>
>>65405187
Buxtehude is great but saying he's better than Bach is super contrarian. I'm gonna need you to back up that opinion.
>>
On a scale of 1 - 10

How depressed are you right now?
>>
>>65405187
how do i into buxtehude?
>>
>>65406059
One. I feel pretty good.
>>
>>65406042
Are you a robot? You don't seem to pick up on my sarcasm.
>>
>>65406059
6. Something unfortunate happened to me very recently but I'm feeling less nihilistic than usual.
>>
>>65406192
It is notoriously difficult to pick up on sarcasm over the internet, and given the inanity of some other posts in this thread I wouldn't have been surprised if that post wasn't completely serious.
>>
>>65405874
turbopleb all opinions discared
>>
>>65406001
Except you're comparing Kanye West to Bach, someone who has influenced a generation to someone who influenced multiple centuries. Anyone would seem insignificant in that context, not to mention that it's nearly impossible to imagine a world in which Bach never existed. His genius and influence don't excuse your dismissiveness. What exactly is your point anyway? Should people stop creating anything because Bach is dead?
>>
>>65404828
because it's subjectively superior and that's all that counts
>>
>>65406257
I am saying that the celebration of what can generously be described as mediocre pop music is retarded. I would not have anyone stop creating music simply because they can't make works of genius, it's a great outlet, but pretending that popular music is of quality is silly. One should not spend their short existence filling their minds with substandard garbage. Bach is also just an example, mainly because he's my favorite composer. There are modern composers that are also very much worth listening to, but they are ignored in favor of music that is more easily digestible, something that doesn't offer any sort of challenge for the listener.

>>65406274
Refer to >>65405669

>I expect to hear the typical aesthetic relativism argument that boils down to intellectually insecure dipshits projecting depth onto crap instead of actually challenging themselves.
>>
File: 1462490502360.jpg (70 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1462490502360.jpg
70 KB, 400x388
>>65406338
Pop music is free
For you and me
Pop music's your wife
Have it for life

Pop music is fun
Just like chewing gum
Pop music is good
It sounds like it should

Pop music is wine
It tastes so divine
Pop music's a bird
It goes with the herd

Pop music's a fan
A fan to a fire
Pop music's for you
>>
Kanye is this generation's Bach. His music will be celebrated forever by patricians in greater number than Bach's devotees.
>>
>>65404828
redpill me on tangerine dream
>>
some good contemporary composers?
i don't like minimalistic garbage
>>
what do you think of steve (((reich))) and philip (((glass)))
>>
>>65405290
Troll post

No one is this daft
>>
File: modern shits.png (530 KB, 2865x1991) Image search: [Google]
modern shits.png
530 KB, 2865x1991
>>65407480
Skip the Reich and you're good to go
>>
>>65406762
Kanye isn't classically trained though. He doesn't know the first thing about harmony or organ playing.

Bach was relatively unknown in his time, simply an organist in a church and head of the church school (for most of his life at least).

Bach music was discovered and made popular by music scholars.

Kanye is the exact opposite: hugely popular, with very little actual musical merit, very little integrity, and definitely not any tasteful melodic writing, let alone harmony or counterpoint.

Music scholars will never "discover" Kanye's music because it isn't written down. They might discover recordings, but if its 200 years in the future, they may well have trouble playing them (can you play a 1900s wax tube in your home right now? of course not.)
>>
File: cover.jpg (198 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
198 KB, 960x960
>Bach
>Mark Andre
pleb music, fuck off OP

Here, try this on for size.
>>
People like you is why we can never have peace
>>
>>65407589
>with very little actual musical merit,

what planet do you live on
>>
>>65407589
wtf is "musical merit'? not attacking your opinions. I just wonder what that is.
>>
Can I not listen to art music and popular music?

>not Kanye though, he is fucking trash
>>
>>65404828
>Mark Andre
who
>>
>>65404828
Nothing against Bach, but he hasn't dropped any new tunes since 1750.
>>
>>65407589
this is a dumb post literally everything you said was wrong
>>
>>65408137
You want to come up with an actual rebuttal or are you just going to state shit without backing it up?
>>
>>65407982
what?
>>
>>65408134
also
>haven't even played on any of his records

pure hackery
>>
>>65408137
>Kanye dickriders
>>
>>65404828
I take pride in laughing in your face every time you cry yourself to sleep for the fact Hitler failed to exterminate the people you so much despise.
>>
>>65408167
Edgy and incomprehensible. I like it.
>>
>>65408049
>>65408073
>nice melodies
>nice chord progressions
>great use of modulation
>economy of material
>great voice leading
>independence of parts

If you go and study music, you learn what makes a piece of music "good" and why most popular music lacks any of those elements. This is just a short list, don't ask me to explain it, if you're really interested in what makes music high quality, go and study it at university or college. If not, just ignore it and carry on with your popular music.
>>
>>65408181
You're an edgy /pol/fag and I take pride in your absolute bitterness.
>>
>>65408186
>>65405839
>>
>>65408198
I've never even lurked /pol/, but if you need to put me in a little box in order to dismiss everything I've said that's alright with me. Some people are just born stupid.
>>
>>65408143
music scholars already write about kanye. there also has been numerous tributes to him like the string quartet tribute. hes been compared to multiple classical musicians. him being popular doesnt mean hes worse than bach or prove anything. i dont know how you can call someone like him lacking in musical merit either, what do you regard as musical merit? look at his accomplishments in music, the hits he has made. also "not any tasteful melodic writing" is the funniest part considering the amount of hits he has, go listen to flashing lights that song is better than anything bach has created
>>
>>65408211
>dismiss everything I've said
Did not do that.

>I've never even lurked /pol/
Irrelevant when you project the exact same mindset.
>>
>>65408226
I have no idea what a /pol/ mindset is, and considering everything and anything is /pol/ to people like you I don't really care. If you don't like it, it must be /pol/.
>>
>>65408186
>popular music lacks nice melodies
you are so boring and the fact you think people who make pop are ignorant of these qualities prove how much of an arrogant idiot you are
>>
File: meme frog.png (171 KB, 326x326) Image search: [Google]
meme frog.png
171 KB, 326x326
>People unironically replying to classicalfag autist
>>
>>65408238
Not "anything" is as bitter and desperate as /pol/fags (and you) anon.
>>
>>65408266
its just all fun and shitposts
>>
>>65408213
>music scholars already write about kanye.
lolno

>what do you regard as musical merit
>>65408186
+ Excellent use of form
Interesting timbres
holds interest throughout
range of dynamics - not just loudness war radio shit
interesting counterpoint
emotional content
applied chords (seriously why do popular musicians never use these? they sound so great!)
>>
>>65407589
this is true because kanye doesn't make any music. he just strings together music that already been made and speaks fast on top of that
>>
>>65408274
I think your projection of your own personality onto myself is unhealthy. I feel no desperation, I merely question why people subject themselves to trash. I don't really feel bitter about the state of music either, appealing to the lowest common denominator was an inevitable result of capitalism.
>>
>>65404828
If Mark Andre is better than Kanye West then how come he doesn't have a single 8/10 composition on scaruffi.com?

Checkmate classicfags.
>>
>>65408304
That was pretty funny, not gonna lie.
>>
>>65408304
Who cares what an old Italian school teacher with a blog thinks?
>>
>>65408300
>likes classical music
>is an atheist
>>
>>65408314
I am an athiest, but sometimes when I listen to a piece I really enjoy I feel what can only be described as divinity.
>>
File: fexkpK1spsojg_540.jpg (67 KB, 540x534) Image search: [Google]
fexkpK1spsojg_540.jpg
67 KB, 540x534
>>65408332
>he doesn't realise how retarded it is to like classical and be atheist
>>
>>65408264
well kanye west lacks nice melodies. and thats the popular music we've been comparing.

poplar music has melodies, but they tend to be more about repetitive catchy melodies than interesting melodies that evolve over the duration of the piece.

A lot of popular music lacks progression. Its static. intro - verse -chorus - verse - chorus - bridge - outro. Repeat for literally every radio song. I prefer music with more fluid forms, and a sense of progression. Classical also lasts more than 3 or 4 minutes at a time, which isn't possible for popular musicians, they just dont have the know-how to extend their ideas beyond the 3 minute mark, and hold interest the entire time.

>>65408266
Its more than one sonny. There's an entire /classical/ general of 30+ people who will happily come into a thread and shit on ignorant popular music fags who have no sense of how music works, and happily lap up whatever is on the radio or tv.
>>
>>65408300
>I think your projection of your own personality
I don't question.

>I merely question
Insecure of your own position in the world you find solace in questioning other people which you deem as "inferior" due to arbitrary factors.

You can deny this all you want but it's clear as day to everyone in this thread, plus then some.
>>
>>65405290
>If it does not advanced the art form in some way then it offers nothing to anyone outside of escapism.
Heaven forbid we listen to music because it's enjoyable rather than because it's significant in music history.
>Accepting things that don't advance that art form leads to stagnation and decay.
Most listeners and performers in all time periods of music's history were either reactionaries or just plain apathetic towards where music is going and who's at the cutting edge.
Even most of the people who claim to care about progress in music as an artform are dilettantes but music has never significantly slowed in developing for very long as a result of these people making up the majority of the music world.
>>
>>65408349
I don't really think that the religious influence on classical music, massive as it may be, precludes me from enjoying it. I don't need to listen to things that only confirm my view of the world. That would be pointless.
>>
>>65408349
not him bu how is that retarded? there have been many great athiest composers. Bartok and xenakis for example.

religion has nothing to do with enjoying music.
>>
>>65408281
thanks for articulating your opinion using music theory terms like it makes your opinion better

i think kanye has interesting timbres, his music holds interest throughout and has emotional content, i think the chords are harmonious too

https://soundcloud.com/badbadnotgood/flashing-lights
this single song is better than anything bach has put out
>>
>>65408359
Ah, the classic "I'm right no matter what you say so THERE" argument. How novel.
>>
>>65408186
Astonishing Autist.
Go to psychiatrist and say "help me"
>>
>>65408392
Projecting your personality upon other people now aren't we?

The tyrant falls prey to his own schemery, nice.
>>
>>65408350
>Classical also lasts more than 3 or 4 minutes at a time, which isn't possible for popular musicians, they just dont have the know-how to extend their ideas beyond the 3 minute mark, and hold interest the entire time.

length is irrelevant, go listen to chopin
>>
>>65408415
Chopin was light background music for cafes. nothing more.
>>
>>65408350
>A lot of popular music lacks progression. Its static. intro - verse -chorus - verse - chorus - bridge - outro. Repeat for literally every radio song. I prefer music with more fluid forms, and a sense of progression. Classical also lasts more than 3 or 4 minutes at a time, which isn't possible for popular musicians, they just dont have the know-how to extend their ideas beyond the 3 minute mark, and hold interest the entire time.
following this logic power electroncs and other edgy styles of freeform industrial music is better than both pop and classical music because they go on for 2+ hours
>>
>>65408367
Escapism has it's place, but indulging in it while ignoring all else can be likened to a diet consisting solely of junk food. And as I already stated, I don't think that people should stop listening to music, or making it, because it's not a work of genius. I just think that constantly exposing yourself to facile shit isn't worth your time.

>>65408411
I'm not projecting anything. You stated it yourself:

>You can deny this all you want but it's clear as day to everyone in this thread, plus then some.

It doesn't matter what I say at this point, you're right in your mind no matter what. Whatever works for you.
>>
>>65408443
>power electroncs and other edgy styles of freeform industrial music
they may have fluid forms, but form is only 1% of a composition. they lack the other 99% that makes great music.
>>
>>65408461
nice backpedaling
>>
>>65408461
great music is not dependent on length
>>
>>65408452
>It doesn't matter what I say at this point, you're right in your mind no matter what. Whatever works for you.
>>
File: image.png (915 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
915 KB, 1136x640
Thoughts on Anthony fantano?
>>
>>65408478
>no u

Jesus Christ.
>>
>>65408497
see
>>65408497
>>
File: 1462064724050.jpg (478 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1462064724050.jpg
478 KB, 2448x3264
>>65408489
decent meme
>>
>>65408464
He outlined all of the elements he liked in music in his post, you latched on to one and ignored the rest. Probably because you're retarded.
>>
>>65408477
of course not. But great music is capable of lasting more than 3 or 4 minutes at a time.

>>65408464
Do you have anything constructive so add? or just looking to reply to people? My post wasn't backpedaling in the slightest

>>65408489
Doesn't review classical or traditional music and so is outside my interests
>>
>>65408517
Is that fucking real? Please tell me that's not real.
>>
>>65408523
he claimed great music was dependent on length. you are both equally retarded
>>65408527
great music is music that is 4 minutes at time but can be listened to forever. long classical compositions are boring, hence the stereotype that people fall asleep as operas. if you like that shit its fine but to say its more melodic, better etc is just stupid
>>
>>65408534
It is.
>>
5 to 10 minutes is the best length for a piece of music tbfh
>>
>>65408572
I think I just had a stroke.
>>
File: U1KUEEj.jpg (500 KB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
U1KUEEj.jpg
500 KB, 1936x2592
>>65408579
>>
File: tumblr_nmrqf1p8fc1u67y1jo1_500.jpg (140 KB, 500x591) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmrqf1p8fc1u67y1jo1_500.jpg
140 KB, 500x591
>>65408593
For the love of god please stop.
>>
>>65404828
Music has evolved from random piano sounds
>>
>>65408517
>>65408593
the fuck is this
>>
>>65408452
I'm not sure why you're making this distinction between indulging in popular and indulging in art music. I don't listen to classical music because it's really intellectual and well made, I listen to it because it's enjoyable. I enjoy it for different reasons than I enjoy jazz, rock or metal but I don't think only listening to punk rock is analogous to eating junk food at all because there aren't any negative health consequences for listening to punk rock. Regardless of what you're listening to, unless your career is in music, it's still inherently an indulgent activity meant to stimulate pleasure.
If you want to talk about maximising the amount of worthwhile time spent listening to music, you should measure that in hours of happiness spent. If Neutral Milk Hotel is what makes you happy and you think classical music is boring then indulge away. Forcing yourself to listen to any kind of music you don't enjoy will not make you smarter or healthier.
>>
>>65408562
>long classical compositions are boring
only if you've been raised on 3 minute radio anthems and "bands"

Classical is objectively superior than popular music for 1 reason: The people writing it are trained.

The same reason art by amateurs looks awful, and that pottery by amateur potters doesn't even work. You need to know how the art form works before you can create something great.

You wouldn't hire some random hobo to do heart surgery, the same way you wouldn't hire some random hobo to write a symphony (and yes commissions still happen where someone is essentially hired to write a piece - which could be a symphony)

>he claimed great music was dependent on length. you are both equally retarded
never claimed that buddy, I just picked holes in the form of popular music. its because they dont know how to extend or transform material, they run out of steam after a few minutes.

Compare this to bach's art of fugue where all 20 fugues are generated from a single melody. Thats economy of material. Thats great use of form at work. Thats development of the material. Thats everything popular music isn't
>>
>>65408622
I don't expect the majority of the population to change their retarded ways. I just don't understand what would compel a person to immerse themselves in absolute shit. By not challenging your mind in all aspects it atrophies. If you don't believe me you should pay closer attention to the special kind of retards that makes threads about hip-hop and kpop.
>>
>>65408636
What do you make of popular music made by composers?
>>
>>65408636
log off your 4chan account, call your mom, and tell her you love her
>>
>>65408380
classical music is literally there for religion
>>
>>65408652
Its still trash, albeit trash with correctly written modulations and harmony.
>>
>>65404828

> doesn't get what objectively means

Must be pretty shit to be that stupid anon.
>>
>>65408636
most people who make pop music understand music theory. please stop with the ignorant assertion that all musicians other than classical ones dont understand music

id rather listen to something simple like bibo no aozora than a long classical composition, length does not mean better which what you are claiming now.

>>65408674
your opinion, most people don't agree with you. your viewpoint is very unpopular and strange
>>
>>65408693
>fans of popular music don't agree that popular music is bad

How strange, never would have seen that coming.
>>
>>65408640
>I just don't understand what would compel a person to immerse themselves in absolute shit.
>I don't understand how people's tastes can differ from mine.

> If you don't believe me you should pay closer attention to the special kind of retards that makes threads about hip-hop and kpop.
That isn't what evidence looks like.
There is no strong scientific evidence that listening to classical music makes you smarter.
A group of people shitposting on 4chan isn't even good anecdotal evidence. These people might be neurosurgeons or theoretical physicists and shitposting is a fun brain dead thing they do in between other more stimulating stuff.
>>
>>65408693
>your viewpoint is very unpopular and strange
You just dont know many people in the classical world it seems.

More people liking something doesn't make that thing "good" or "high quality" billions of flies eat shit, that doesn't make it "tasty"

And I think you'll find that most popular music dont understand theory, at least not to the same level as a classical composer.

Ask any popular musician to write a piece for orchestra. They wont be able to. They can hardly read music, let alone score out a piece for 100+ players and have it coherent, playable and listenable.

Ask any popular musician to write a 4 part fugue. They wont be able to.
>>
>>65408780
Did you just compare people with flies?
>>
>>65408780
classical music is irrelevant and the only people that listen to it are autistic children and old people. also the fact you think that composers know more about theory than people in do in the age of information is stupid. music has gone a long way since those times, music should progress forward not backwards with shitty long classical compositions

look up kanye west's album "late orchestration". music is mostly digital now anyway so saying that again proves how stupid you are.
>>
>>65408844
That anon thinks grammarians are the best writers.
>>
>>65408763
>There is no strong scientific evidence that listening to classical music makes you smarter.
Your exam failed? Listen to classicel music!
Autist.
>>
>>65408922
He can't read English yet. lol
>>
>>65408780
Are you implying all popular musicians have the same skill set?
>>
>>65408780
>Ask any popular musician to write a piece for orchestra. They wont be able to. They can hardly read music, let alone score out a piece for 100+ players and have it coherent, playable and listenable.
"Sprinters can't run longer than marathoners. So sprinter is shit as hell"
>>
File: 1393543297428.png (781 KB, 1092x1185) Image search: [Google]
1393543297428.png
781 KB, 1092x1185
>>
>>65408922
wat?
>>
>>65408844
you have no idea what you're talking about. Please stop trying to discuss music, let alone classical music. Its cringe-worthy and embarrassing to /mu/ as a whole.

Please dont tell me or anyone to "look up" the music of kanye west. Its not worth the time and frankly I dont even know why I'm replying.
>>
>>65409216
Because you're an easily baited pleb.
>>
>>65409129
>Plato
>2016
The dude literally hated art lmao.
>>
>>65404828
>Why does the majority of /mu/ continue to listen to objectively inferior music?
How is it objectively inferior?
>>
File: 1403506944849.png (869 KB, 964x1546) Image search: [Google]
1403506944849.png
869 KB, 964x1546
>>
I don't really fancy Bach, but I like other Baroque composers.
>>
>>65409216
i accept your defeat
>>
File: 1979.png (178 KB, 432x274) Image search: [Google]
1979.png
178 KB, 432x274
rue de avenue
>>
>>65409129

> all music is of equal worth

I don't get why people miss the point this hard. The argument isn't that all music is of equal worth, the argument is that there's no music of objective worth.
>>
OP here, just wanted to say that I didn't really believe any of this, and the parts that I do believe were extremely exaggerated. I just wanted to try defending a point of view that I normally disagree with and it was fun! Thank you to all the anons that participated in the discussion.
>>
>>65409482
>6 hours later
>>
>>65409501
I've been trying to reset my sleeping schedule. I was posting in this thread while playing Stellaris.
>>
>>65407589
Is that why when every rapper in 2005 was doing faux-ganagsta shit and trying to be 50 Cent, Kanye was busy getting Jon Brion to lead an actual live orchestra for Late Registration? Because he's go no musical merit at all.
>>
>>65405214
><5 minute "songs"
10" 78s could only have about 3 minutes 28 seconds of music on them at the absolute best.
These "songs" being too short are purely a product of technical limitations influencing music.
It's been that way since the 20s. Even orchestral composers started cutting their pieces short, or relying on movements to overcome that.
>>
>>65405615
POLY
GET
OUT
Thread replies: 209
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.