[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get why Corgan decided to make the pic related double
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 8
I don't get why Corgan decided to make the pic related double album.

The first 6 songs are by far the most interesting ones on disc 1. Here's No Why is more like prelude by SP standards, but at least it has some interesting changes.

This is exactly the problem with some other tracks: they work more like bridges between portions of great material, except they still last like full tracks, often with just one riff throughout the whole song. The examples of overstretched tracks include "To Forgive", "Cupid de Locke", "Where Boys Fear to Tread" and "By Starlight". They could easily had been made into parts of the other songs.

"Porcelina of the Vast Oceans" is so vastly overblown (9:21) that it could last 3 minutes less without losing anything. "Thru The Eyes Of Ruby" is a little shorter (07:38), but again, it lasts twice the length you'd expect from any track on Siamese Dreams. The worst example is obviously X.Y.U. with it's 2 note riff (7:07).

The remaining tracks have good tunes, but they sound like b-sides. They really add little to the album, and are obviously watered down to occupy the empty space on disc 2. There are very similar quiet acoustic songs, some distorted alt-country, some metal… All basic verse-chorus-verse songs, mostly. Many of them have no breaks, no big changes, and most importantly, few if any solos.

If Corgan simply made them into 3-4 songs instead of a dozen, and didn't overblow stuff like X.Y.U., he could easily have made a regular, 1-disc album. If he was so determined to release everything he had, he could've just put part of it on B-sides. Or put it on Adore. At best it would be 3-4 short tracks or 1-2 normal tracks.

But he went with double album, and in result it's almost impossible to sit through it.
>>
>>64501579
it was supposed to be his masterpiece symphony. Probably thought he was gonna kill himself or something
>>
Totally agree with you senpai. Siamese dream is one of my favorite albums ever, but I struggle to ever get further than the first half of disc 1 on Mellon Collie.

I always feel the same way about multi disc albums. They always feel like they were filled with filler to make them long enough, and could have been cut down to a tight one disc album instead.
>>
>>64501618
Hairy Corgan was the best Corgan
>>
>>64501579
>I don't get why Corgan decided to make the pic related double album.
Pure ego.
>>
>>64501728
Yep. Let's be frank, it's not too often that even a good artist makes an album which is pure single material or at least only worthy tracks from start to finish. Often it's 2-3 singles, 2-3 good songs and some filler. Now imagine filling a double album in 2 years.

But not only that: multi disc albums often become completely disorienting after the first bunch of tracks. I mean, there's always some logic to track placement, some narrative. But it's so hard to follow on Mellon Collie, it feels like a bunch of tracks shuffled randomly. There's very little sense of development, tracks have little meaning in the context of album.

This clashes really hard with what Siamese Dream was: a consistent, logical, cohesive album, in which tracks didn't repeat themselves.
>>
>>64501579
I actually wish Porcelina was a little longer. That song hits so hard and flows very nicely. The other bigger tracks do feel stretched out though.

Disc 2 is my biggest problem. It's like everything great got shoved into disc 1 and disc 2 just had Bodies.

Still a respectful masterpiece. I wish more artists made double albums, they're an adventure.
>>
>>64503300
Disc 2 had a lot of great tracks, 1979, Bodies, Thirty Three, Stumbeline, XYU. By Starlight just more filler than Disc 1
>>
>>64503553
Already mentioned Bodies. That's the only thing on disc 2 that blew me away though. Everything else was just good to okay. It's not a bad disc by any means, it's just shadowed by how incredible disc 1 is to me. Jellybelly, Here Is No Why, Muzzle, the only track on that entire first disc I didn't love was To Forgive, I still enjoyed it though. I even liked Cupid De Locke (I actually LOVED it). I wish they'd make more dream pop like that, but knowing Billy, that'll never happen.
>>
>>64503300
Yeah, it does… But it already has that fade in which takes waaay too long. Like '70s long. Honestly, I can't say I dislike any tune on MC&IS, except for the length and it's crucial.

Also, the song clashes with the rest of the album—this is one of the examples where I don't understand/feel where the album is going. It was a personal/angsty record, then suddenly its about vast ocean.
>>
>>64503553
>>64503300
>>64503829

>1979, Bodies, Thirty Three, Stumbeline, XYU
Agreed, but XYU?… It's not too bad, but it's literally 2 chords, and it stretches for 7 minutes.

It should've been put together with other distorted tracks like Bodies and Tales of the Scorched Earth. Really, take Bodies, add XYU's riff as gloomy/evil break, then follow with Scorched Earth and either ending or back to Bodies riff. Voila, would be remembered as a great SP song. You could even fit Fuck You [An Ode to No One] and Where Boys Fear to Tread there.

Disc 2 becomes total unashamed filler towards the ending. Verse-chorus-verse with one riff throughout the song, as I mentioned in the post.
>>
File: MSIC.jpg (41 KB, 500x257) Image search: [Google]
MSIC.jpg
41 KB, 500x257
The two disks have different names and different concepts; Dawn to Dusk and Twilight to Starlight. Contrasting night and day/happyness and sadness. If you want to make your playlist and just pick out some singles go for it but I love it the way it is.
>>
>>64505924
Thanks, this explains a lot. But on the other hand, why is 1979 on the second side? Also, the metal tracks. Some stuff from the first side like Zero isn't exactly what I'd associate with dawn/morning.

Maybe it has something to do with significantly different track lists for vinyl and CD editions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellon_Collie_and_the_Infinite_Sadness#Original_vinyl_version
>>
>>64506183
>why is 1979 on the second side

because it's sad, it's all about how we'll all fade to dust in the end
>>
>>64505924
>>64506183
Actually, holy shit. My every suspicion got confirmed.

>Side two – Tea Time
>1. "Jellybelly" 3:01
>2. "Bodies" 4:12
>3. "To Forgive" 4:17

>Side five – Midnight
>1. "Where Boys Fear to Tread" 4:22
>2. "Zero" 2:41
>3. "Fuck You (An Ode to No One)" 4:51

Makes so much more sense! I'm fucking going to download the vinyl edition or make my own playlist. Cool!
>>
>>64506267
It's interesting, on vinyl it's the first track of Side four – Twilight. Meaning, it's probably a "sunset" song, which fits it perfectly.

> TFW the whole cover art hints it's about time of day
> TFW I'm so autist I didn't get it all that time
>>
>>64506376
This thread makes a good argument for owning physical copies of music.
>>
>>64506376
You know the CD's themselves are labelled Dawn to Dusk and Twilight to Starlight right?
>>
>>64505924
>>64506267
In any case, I don't know why Billy reshuffled the tracks for CD. Vinyl has 2 bonus tracks, 6 minutes total, but that's it. What the hell?…
>>
>>64506488
Billy does a lot of crazy things anon, best not to think too hard on it
>>
>>64506474
Yep. But of course I downloaded it.
>>64506463
The track order on CDs is completely different and fucked up.

Also, I am Russian. I'd have to pay extra bucks for importing the records. And vinyl market here is a joke, trust me. It's like matryoshka market in US.

I want to support the artists, and I'd do if I was in US. I know this will irk lots of purists, but trust me, if you saw Moscow record stores, you'd have nightmares afterwards.
>>
>>64506652
We all pirate, I'm just old enough that I actually own this cd.
>>
File: 1460909751271.jpg (12 KB, 200x257) Image search: [Google]
1460909751271.jpg
12 KB, 200x257
>>64506534
> Makes concept album
> Rearranges tracks fucking up the whole logic

Man, chemtrails sure got him good
>>
>>64506834
I'm sure James and D'arcy were like "woah Billy we really love the order of the tracks" and it pissed him off so much he changed it out of spite
>>
>>64506768
I was happy if I could find Limp Bizkit in stores when I was young—it wasn't that often. Also, I was 4 when Mellon Collie came out. So by the time I started getting into music, CD pretty much died already. Especially in Russia when no one ever got sued for piracy.
>>
>>64506918
Kek

But really now. I assume Corgan thinks of himself as a creative genius, "auteur" of the album, getting butthurt if anyone interferes with anything. And then he changes the track order?… On a fucking concept album?… And lets someone dilute his vision?…

And it's not just cosmetic changes—tracks from Twilight wind up on Dawn! This is completely fucked up. I can only see it as a means to bring variety, not to make clusters of similar songs like "Where Boys Fear to Tread" —> "Zero" —> "Fuck You (An Ode to No One)".

It was suspicious from the very beginning to me—how the fuck does the CD start from all the singles?… That's pretty weird.

I have only one explanation for this: CD track order was made more "commercial", with hits at the beginning, assuming no one ever would listen to side 2. And vinyl was supposed for the small minority of music nerds who still bought vinyl in 1995.

If anything, I'm glad I have it in digital, and I can rearrange the tracks now. If I had a cassette or CD, imagine how fucked I'd be. Fuck whoever rearranged the tracks.
>>
>>64501579
>Impossible to sit through

been doing it since 5 years old anon, Its not that bad, ive heard much longer albums
>>
>>64507333
Interesting. I assume you might have some degree of bias because of listening it at such a young age though.

But anyway, which tracklist do you have? What's the third track on the album—Jellybelly or Thirty-Three? I assume you had it on cassette/CD, so it must be Jellybelly, followed by Zero, right?

And yeah—you definitely can sit through it, especially side one, but side two… I can make it until Bodies. Then I'm holding myself from listening to something else. During XYU I usually start doing something else.
>>
>>64507568
Yeah I guess thats true, about the age. I had it on cd though, and yeah it was jellybelly. But from what ive noticed on both cds, the middle parts seem like all the filler. Both cds have amazing starts and ending songs though
>>
>>64507568
>>64507680
my favorite is "thru the eyes of a ruby" though
>>
>>64506463
kind of, but its more like only the vinyl makes total sense, and unless the CD (dominant medium in 1995) had the extra breakdown of song type like the vinyl, it would be a fully pro-physical medium argument

unless the digital version has the cd or vinyl labels
>>
>>64507232
yeah this actually makes sense, and it would answer to the confusion of people not seeing the theme-song connections for some of the songs
>>
>>64507732
the live version of this song is honestly the reason i started to actively like it a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdjIdc9-13U
>>
>>64507732
Mine too. I think it might be my favorite song by SP, one of my favorite songs ever.

Mellon Collie feels like Corgan's magnum opus, his most important statement. I love it despite it's imperfections. His songwriting was great on Siamese Dreams already, but on Mellon Collie he finally went through the stratosphere to the stars.

Thru The Eyes of Ruby is not just amazing, emotional melody—it's message makes it the most relatable SP song for me.

>"…But belief is not to notice, believe is just some faith…"
> "…But no one's asking for the truth…"
> "…But youth is wasted on the young…"

IMO it's one of Corgan's greatest songs ever. It just shows how much meaning, life insight and personality he put into every song. This is why no matter what Corgan says or does and for how long, I will always care about his work.
>>
>>64508035
SP live performances can often completely change the songs, I love it. There hasn't been a bad SP show from the '90s I've seen

Also, Jimmy is obviously way higher in the mix, completely nailing the whole thing.
>>
File: cats.jpg (17 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
cats.jpg
17 KB, 225x224
>>64507944
The cd version is just the two individually named disks.
>>
>>64501579
>>64507232

OP here. So I'm downloading the vinyl rip now. Let's see how the different track order works.

What baffles me is that the 2012 5 CD remaster still has the old track order. I'm gonna try and find what Corgan said about it.
>>
Wait a second. I have the most recent vinyl pressing...but the tracks are in the order of the CD.

And the "original vinyl" tracklisting looks so much better

Reading the order the songs were put in is making me tear up

Why the fuck isn't my copy in this order?
>>
>>64509301
I know, right?! What were they thinking? The only reason I can think of is for nostalgia purposes. But this is still fucked up.

What the fuck, Billy? It's like taking The Wall and putting The Wall, pt. 2 as the second track.

Now it looks like the only real way to enjoy the correct track order is pre-2012 vinyl. Or manually rearrange the tracks in digital. What. The. Fuck.
>>
>>64509381
I'm fucking mad now

I would buy an original copy on vinyl but fuck me, that's like $200

I'm geniunely mad

avgnwhatweretheythinking.jpg
>>
Really glad i stumbled upon this thread before buying it on vinyl. I've been listening to it as "Dawn to dusk/Twilight to Starlight" digitally this entire time

The 6 LP arrangement looks so much better
>>
>>64509430
I'm googling it and I have no idea what the hell is going on. I have never read/heard about it.

For example, Pitchfork review of the remaster straight up says "The album has no conceptual framework and no plot". …What? Did they read the disc labels? The lyrics? Welp, sounds like p4k alright.

Anyway, I expected an army of butthurt SP fans, but instead I feel like I'm the first one who noticed.

And Wikipedia just says this:

> Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was intended as a two-record set. The CD and cassette versions of the album are divided into two discs, entitled Dawn to Dusk and Twilight to Starlight. The vinyl version, however, is divided into three records with six sides, entitled Dawn/Tea Time, Dusk/Twilight, and Midnight/Starlight. The vinyl release also features two bonus songs ("Tonite Reprise" and "Infinite Sadness"), and a completely rearranged track order.

>In 2012 the album was remastered and re-released as a 6 disc edition, with 3 bonus discs of music and a DVD and also on 4 Vinyl LPs which contained the regular CD track order INSTEAD OF THE ORIGINAL LP ORDER.

So, in the words of Billy, "Fuck You [Dear Listeners]".
>>
>>64509694
3 LP*
>>
>>64509694
See

>In 2012 the album was remastered and re-released as a 6 disc edition, with 3 bonus discs of music and a DVD and also on 4 Vinyl LPs which contained the regular CD track order INSTEAD OF THE ORIGINAL LP ORDER.

Yep. Good thing you didn't buy it.

I decided I don't want to fuck with rearranging the tracks and just downloaded the 1995 vinyl rip. If they couldn't get the fucking track order right, it's not my problem.
>>
>>64509694
>>64509775
Hope you've got $200 to blow (if you care about physical media)

>>64509695
I had heard about it, but I never looked up the alternate tracklist, cause I didn't really expect it to have that much of an impact but holy shit it does
>>
>>64509845
Yup.

Listening to the 1995 rip right now:
>Tonight ends
> Thirty-Three guitar slides in
> TFW it's a perfect morning song

Holy fuck

I feel like my life is complete right now
>>
>>64509931
I assume that rip has Infinite Sadness and the Tonite Reprise right? Could you link it?
>>
>>64510044
I'm a noob, is it not against the rules?

In any case, it's Smashing Pumpkins - 6 Albums [24 bit FLAC] vinyl on Kickass Torrents. I'm seeding but I'm in Russia, so…
>>
>>64510044
And yep, Tonite Reprise and Infinite Sadness are there too, at correct positions.
>>
>>64510044
Also, there were 6 seeders there half an hour ago. Finished really quick, 250kb–1mb speeds.
>>
>>64501728
I don't feel that way about the fragile
>>
So I'm continuing listening…

> TFW Take Me Down is the 5th track, not the end of disc 1, quietly continuing from In the Arms of Sleep
> TFW Jelly Belly kicks in after it with distortion
> TFW Bodies immediately after picks up the pace

I feel like I'm listening to a different album right now. Everything makes sense
>>
>>64510133
Btw, have you heard the assload of bonus tracks that the 2012 remaster had? There's a ton, and most are mostly demos or meh B-sides, but some of the alternate versions and stuff are really great, so if you can find a download of that I'd recommend it

>>64510253
I'm just starting Take Me Down

You're right Anon. I almost wish I waited and got super stoned before this so I could have my mind blown even more, hearing all these familiar songs in a new and better arrangement for the first time
>>
>>64510303
I plan to listen to the bonuses tomorrow, after I get the proper experience of the album.
>>
>>64510396
As far as their arrangement isn't anything special, its just a bunch of extra stuff, but there's some gems in there

>Jellybelly --> Bodies
Unf
>>
Continuing listening.

> To Forgive was obviously meant to follow Bodies. It seamlessly picks up from its last note.

> Here Is No Why has a similar rhythm, also the line "the useless drag of another day" picks up the mood

I guess every track was meant to very smoothly blend into each other, almost like a symphony
>>
>>64510509
>You will never live in an alternate universe where Billy decides to commission/direct a full-length Mellon Collie animated movie a la Interstella 5555

fuck
>>
File: voyagedanslalune.jpg (39 KB, 334x500) Image search: [Google]
voyagedanslalune.jpg
39 KB, 334x500
>>64510582
this should hold you over in the meantime
>>
Hey guys, whoever wants a perfect vinyl rip of a original pressing of Mellon Collie magnet:?xt=urn:btih:45A3987AECBF9D7104BA2C49217123CFF98E5052 there you go
>>
I'm so glad people are finally listening to the vinyl track listing. I remember finding it a while ago and it absolutely changing what I thought about this album.

It really feels like the cd order was organize to push the singles rather than work as a whole unit.

The vinyl order just flows so fucking well, putting thirty-three right after tonight tonight is genius
>>
Finally I get what the long intro to Porcelina meant. It's such a nice contrasting transition from Here Is No Why, a song about drag of life and needless hassle. It's like an opera.

And then it's followed with… Bullet with Butterfly Wings, starting the Dusk side, LP #3. I'm currently trying to understand it, I guess it's Corgan's angst taking over. Drastic change, but very logical—somewhat like Geek USA on Siamese Dreams.
>>
>>64510755
100 times this

I'm in the middle of the album and I really want to pee but I guess I can hold another hour for such an occasion
>>
>>64510771
I'm excited to see how XYU fits in, unlike OP I love it as it is, and seeing that its the epic closer to a side gives me high hopes
>>
>>64510829
I'm also ready to change my mind about it

In the meantime:

> Bullet with Butterfly WIngs stops

> Thru the Eyes of Ruby piano starts

It also feels like an evening song.
>>
>>64510945
I'm strongly considering saving up and buying an original vinyl copy, just because now each side perfectly captures a mood, and that's exactly why I like records being divided up into sides like that.
>>
>>64510582
The Wall cartoon was scary

We need some enthusiasts with cameras film the whole Mellon Collie slice of life movie in the vein of 1979 video
>>
>>64510509
FUCK WHERE HAS THIS BEEN MY WHOLE LIFE

WHY DIDN'T I THINK TO LISTEN TO IT IN THE VINYL ORDER
>>
So has OP officially been converted?
>>
>>64510713
anything for people who don't torrent? I can never find a link to it anywhere
>>
So Muzzle is lyrically the part 2 of Thru The Eyes of Ruby.

Galapagos is such an amazing evening song, it's the perfect song for the evening after the sun almost sets. I guess it's about Billy sitting with his love interest in the evening and reflecting on his feelings
>>
>>64510713
And here's Mashed Potatoes an informal five-CD box set covering the band's first five years, from 1988 to 1993. The copies were given to friends close to the band for Christmas, 1994. https://mega.nz/#F!5wB3WIrZ!pGpj61EiMbhz9Tv8i30i2g that's Disc 1, if there's any takers ill upload the other 4
>>64511191
I can try to upload it to mega but it's gonna take ages, pray that the thread doesn't die anon
>>
>>64511236
Oh shit, thank man. If it does, you can always put it in the share thread
>>
>>64511271
No problem, I'm already uploading it. and yeah will do if it dies
>>
>>64511236
> Band is called Smashing Pumpkins
> Compilation is called Mashed Potatoes
Kek
>>
>>64511168
But of course now that everything makes sense
>>
>>64511236
thanks
>>
File: DnUmEop.jpg (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
DnUmEop.jpg
6 KB, 200x200
>MFW that Twilight side

Never really loved most of those tracks on the cd order, but they work so well together here
>>
>>64511580
I haven't even listened to it yet, just LOOKING at that tracklist has me excited
>>
what do you guys think of the last 2 albums and eps?
>>
So Scorched Earth is Billy getting assblasted at home

1979 is him going to meet the girl

Beautiful is Billy drooling over his girl

Cupid De Locke and By Starlight is them doing their thing

These 3 tracks all have very similar sound with dreamy, "night" guitars.

I wonder what happens in Zero though, assblasted at home again?
>>
>>64511610
If you're excited just looking at it, you need to listen to it as soon as you get the chance.
>>
>>64511610
Wait till you hear the transitions between tracks, you will never think of Mellon Collie the same way again

It's not shattered tracks, it's Siamese Dreams-tier transitions or even better
>>
>>64511621
They're alright.

Oceania is pretty good, but there's not really any one track that really sticks out to me or that I want to return to. Some songs are almost great, but they lyrics are too bland to ignore sometimes.

It's kind of the same thing for Monuments, which is definitely one of the better things Billy's done recently just because it's shorter and doesn't feel as indulgent, but it just kind of feels monotone. Might have worked better as an EP. The lyrics are an issue here too. This is one that's still fairly fun to listen to, though. There's some nostalgia there.
>>
>>64511731
I never actually got around to listening to Monuments, but I remember liking Drum + Fife a lot
>>
>>64511703
This is much.

Porcelina to Bullet to Ruby feels almost seamless.

The variety of the tracks works so much better with this order too.
>>
>>64511758
If you liked that track you should check the rest of the songs out, they might be right up your alley.

Some of them seemed to get a little too 'dance-rockish' for some, but I liked those too. If you don't want to sit through the whole thing, try Being Beige and One and All. They were the other singles, both as good as Drum + Fife
>>
>>64511793
Will do
[spoiler]does anyone have suggestion for any other bands/albums that capture the sort of scope and mood of Mellon Collie?[/spoiler]
>>
This thread is what I wish /mu/ could be all the time
>>
>>64511842
this so much
>>
>>64511644
>Cupid De Locke --> By Starlight

Fuuuuuuck
>>
>listening to album
>paused it and went to pee
Fuck this, this could be my favorite Smashing Pumpkins album. Considering suicide t b h
>>
>>64511820
This, or Disintegration
>>
>>64511971
Right? So many good pairings!

Muzzle into Galapogos.

To Forgive into To Here's Now When
>>
We Only Come Out At Night —> Where Boys Fear to Thread —> Zero —> An Ode to No One —> Love

My brain is blown

So, Billy signs about walking at night with the girl, then wanting to break up with fakers around him, then I guess still having sex with the girl but then comes X.Y.U. so I guess it didn't end up well
>>
>>64512021
Why don't you piss in empty water bottles like us normal folk do
>>
I'm listening to Tonite Reprise

Shivers are going down my spine

I'm holding from crying but I can't
>>
>>64511191
took a while but here it is: https://mega.nz/#F!xgQxWZiB!2xiiPDN9WAM25kaXz5sWNw original pressing vinyl rip.
the guy that made the rip uses top tier expensive stuff to rip the records, so this is the real deal, enjoy
>>
>>64512763
WOAH

thanks anon

glad it got here before this thread died
>>
>>64512763
you are the best, seriously

you should put this in the share thread so it's properly tagged for archive searches
>>
>>64512800
>>64512873
glad to share it with you guys, and yeah I'll post it there too then
>>
So, I've finished it.

Basically, it's like the slice of young Billy's life.

Morning, he anticipates the upcoming party (Tonight, Tonight).

Then it's the drag of life: sick of everyone around (Jellybelly), his life (Bullet…), while thinking of his love interest (Porcelina…) and reflecting on his life and relationships (Thru the Eyes…), how everything is kinda fake. He thinks about his coming of age, how he pretends he's a kid and what he's becoming—an adult.

Finally he comes home, completely sick of another drama there (Tales of the Scorched Earth).

Finally he's going to the party (1979), meets the girl and is really happy and in love for some time (Beautiful, Cupid de Locke, By Starlight). But very soon he starts getting sick of everything (An Ode to No One), realizes he only pretends to love his girl and she just pretends to know him (Love).

This is where things go Nine Inch Nails: she reveals she has problems—she had a miscarriage and can't have children again. Corgan simultaneously wants to fuck her and kill her. The end of the songs marked with guitar distortion explosion.

But, finally his anger comes away. He decides to be there for the girl, to catch her fall (Stumbleine). He is at a drug store, just mindlessly hanging around after the party.

He takes her home, watching her shadow by her window, but he has to go (Lily).

Finally, comes the epic ending. Tonite reprise is Corgan thinking about his life—that in the end, he'll stay together with his girlfriend, being there for each other, believing in each other, and becoming adults (Tonite reprise). He mentions his city, showing that despite his rage, he's still connected to it and to everyone around. FInally, he reaffirms his love for his GF wishing her goodnight.
>>
>>64512933
just in time for the new thread too

oh fuck 9 hours download. didn't expect flac, that's even better
>>
>>64512984
As you can see: without the correct track order this all makes no sense. The album has its plot basically. Without it it's all just random pieces of the puzzle. Together it's a cohesive picture.

Moreover, the album mostly feels just like one long song. If you haven't listened to vinyl yet, you'd be surprised—everything flows just perfectly, and there's absolutely no dissonance as on CD.

It's still a bit too long for an album—I mean, 2 hours is 2 hours. But I realized it's like a movie, or a book written by Corgan, and when it starts making sense, it's truly his magnum opus. He achieved what he wanted—to make his own The Wall.
>>
>>64513123
*curtain draw*
>>
>>64513123
And to address my own criticism: the "overstretched" tracks really serve as the continuation to other songs. There's no filler per se—every song tells the story/expresses Corgan's thoughts. They work perfectly when placed in correct order, completing each other.

Finally, as for 2 bonus tracks: Tonite Reprise is fits amazingly, although it's basically the part of Tonight Tonight played slowly on acoustic without an orchestra.

As for Infinite Sadness, I don't know. It felt like the record ended on Farewell and Goodnight. It's nice as "credits" track though. It's an instrumental piece with violins, with nostalgic/bittersweet feel. Sort of the band riding into the sunset.
>>
>>64501811
/thread
>>
God damn, the feels when "Farewell and Goodnight" starts playing and Corgan, Iha and D'Arcy take turns singing verses and then sing choruses together

Iha-Corgan reunion needs to happen

D'Arcy is beyond saving unfortunately
>>
>>64506183
I only ever listen to the vinyl tracklist cos it actually flows well compared to the CD version. It doesn't really drag at all
>>
>>64513687
Well yeah, we've been talking about it for hours now. You know what's up.
>>
>>64513618
https://imgur.com/a/iocqc one can dream
>>
>>64501579
I agree. Mellon Collie maybe has enough interesting songs for one regular sized album but as a double album it's trash.

Just like how Adore would be 10/10 if some songs were a minute or two shorter
>>
>>64513841
Did you even read this thread
>>
I also realize now how you can take one LP and start listening because every LP is kinda complete in itself.

For example:
Side two – Tea Time
1. "Jellybelly" 3:01
2. "Bodies" 4:12
3. "To Forgive" 4:17
4. "Here Is No Why" 3:45
5. "Porcelina of the Vast Oceans"

Here are 4 upbeat rockers, and one slow acoustic track—mini-Siamese Dream.

Side five – Midnight

1. "Where Boys Fear to Tread" 4:22
2. "Zero" 2:41
3. "Fuck You (An Ode to No One)" 4:51
4. "Love" 4:21
5. "X.Y.U."

This is where things go Nine Inch Nails—dark and angry.

Compared to:

Side four – Twilight
No. Title Length
1. "1979" 4:25
2. "Beautiful" 4:18
3. "Cupid de Locke" 2:50
4. "By Starlight" 4:48
5. "We Only Come Out at Night" 4:05

All quiet, happy songs.
>>
>>64513744
Sorry, I hadn't read the whole thread yet. I've been listening to the vinyl tracklist for years, I'm glad people are starting to appreciate it. It's making me want to listen to Mellon Collie again, haven't heard it since the remaster dropped back in 2012.
>>
>>64501579
Yeah I always thought this album was way too overindulgent.

Not even just a fan of the singles, there's a lot of good stuff on here, but it's pretty worthless cover to cover. Kind of a random mish mash
>>
>>64513883
I can't read what does this say
>>
>>64513841
Adore a secret masterpiece.
Ava Adore one of the best songs ive heard
>>
>>64513898
Also, Twilight is best side. I used to get butterflies (no pun intended) every time I listened to it.
>>
Condense Mellon Collie into a single disc album /mu/
>>
>>64513841
>>64513899
>>64513925

OK, so for everyone who comes to this thread:

Turns out Mellon Collie is supposed to be listened in a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TRACK ORDER.

Here it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellon_Collie_and_the_Infinite_Sadness#Original_vinyl_version —you need to look for "Original Vinyl version", in which the third track is "Thirty-Three", NOT "Jellybelly".

In this order, IT MAKES TOTAL SENSE and is in essence A DIFFERENT, COHERENT ALBUM.

I'm gonna make/find a youtube playlist now.
>>
File: pumpkins smashing.png (94 KB, 791x754) Image search: [Google]
pumpkins smashing.png
94 KB, 791x754
>>64501579
because pic related and sheeeet
>>
>>64513955
Easy.

1. Tonight, Tonight
2. Here is No Why
3. 1979
4. Cupid De Locke
5. Zero
6. Fuck You (an ode to no one)
7. Jellybelly
8. Lily
9. Muzzle
10. Bodies
11. Galapagos
12. Porcelina of the Vast Oceans

:)
>>
>>64514119
no bullet w/ butterfly wings?
Surely an oversight
>>
Here it is on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNE6zmiQ38Yq1BXEEc7UgUaIhGV90zEcq

There's only the last track lacking as it's not on YT.

Of some song is deleted, please let me know
>>
>>64514255
You're right, oversight, final tweaks:

1. Tonight, Tonight
2. Here is No Why
3. 1979
4. Cupid De Locke
5. Bullet with Butterfly Wings
6. Fuck You (an ode to no one)
7. Thirty-three
8. Jellybelly
9. Zero
10. Lily
11. Muzzle
12. Bodies
13. Galapagos
14. Porcelina of the Vast Oceans

IMO this cuts out all of the filler and maintains the feel of the album and balance of aggressive and emotional tracks
>>
>>64513618
http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/04/darcy-wretzky-would-consider-reuniting-with-smashing-pumpkins/
>>
NEW THREAD: >>64515048

Please continue there, this will make things less confusing
>>
>>64514119
>>64514409
>Not including Farewell and Goodnight as the last track
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.