[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw pop is actually good, and /mu/ was wrong about everything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 446x446) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 446x446
>tfw pop is actually good, and /mu/ was wrong about everything
>>
>thinking /mu/ was ever right about anything

cool meme
>>
>>64427126
that Mariah Carey album is absolutely golden, no memes desu. I have it on CD, listen to it while I'm driving sometimes. I enjoy it
>>
>>64427126
That Elton John is a very solid pop album to me as well
>>
>>64427126
i am the only one who thinks that Off The wall is better than Thriller?
>>
>>64427126
huh?
/mu/ likes pop we hate TOP 40 there's a difference you pleb
>>
/mu/ is overly full of poptimists. You're preaching to the choir.
>>
>Pink Floyd

You're confusing the concept of pop with albums that are popular.
>>
>>64427126
my understanding of the basic principle of poptimism is that pop music is just as viable an avenue of artistic expression, and just as capable of being good or bad, as any other form of music; and therefore deserves to be evaluated on its merits, without any prejudice positive or negative regarding its status as pop music. That seems perfectly reasonable to me, and I think everyone would agree there are plenty of examples of amazing pop music, and of shit pop music, out there. How this turned into "poptimists" who really just bandwagon every hyped release without any critical examination and look down on people for enjoying other forms of music is unfortunate but not terribly surprising given the state of our post-internet cultural discourse.

Of the 9 albums in the OP, I think all of them are great besides Elvis (groundbreaking when it came out but too primitive to still be impactful) and Madonna (I just really don't like Madonna)
>>
>>64427439
This
>>
Oh yeah, right, lump Sgt. Pepper, Led Zeppelin IV and Dark Side of the Moon in there too.

Who said pop music was bad, some anal contrarians who listen exclusively to harsh noise? It's your fault for listening to them.

No one denies there's good pop—like MJ, Roxette, and so on. And there's shit pop—like Beyonce, Taylor Swift, and there's also non-music like K-pop. You should learn the difference first.

Second, you should understand that listening to pop is the same game over and over again. If you want real challenge, real food for thought, you've got to go out of your comfort zone and listen to experimental. Only then you will feel the joy of exploration that is discovering new music.
>>
>>64427999
The real joy of exploration is discovering something new in albums that you've heard over and over again.
>>
>>64427126
>zeppelin is pop and good
>>
>>64427126
Only two of those are particularly good though.
>>
>>64427456
i don't care if it's pasta, this is 100% correct
>>
>>64427999
both MJ and Roxette blow harder than Taylor Swift.
>>
Led Zeppelin is pop?
>>
>>64428221
No. DSOTM isn't too. Since the 60's that pop isn't the same as popular.

Also, >>64427456 is 100% right. I'd argue that listening to experimental music also has the benefit of making you appreciate pop more too. Gives you differebts perspectives of music and its various traits.
>>
>>64428122
That too, and this is also why you should always try to go out of your comfort zone. Every album you listen to makes you learn something new, and makes you look at old things differently. But this only works when you listen to something different.

That's why I never really agree with people who completely dismiss whole genres, be it pop, metal, hip-hop, experimental, or any other genre. If it's there, then it makes people learn, discover something new.

But if you listen to the same thing over and over again, you might never even touch the surface of all the depth of the music you listen to. You will listen and still not hear it, despite being able to play it from memory.
>>
>>64428219
I love Taylor but c'mon, MJ was king for a reason
>>
>>64428360
Just listen to better music. Whether it's experimental, or whatever genre you enjoy.
>>
>>64428449
Yep. I agree. In essence, good pop is just as enjoyable as experimental as long as long as it makes you discover as much. It happens rarely though, as making radically new things is commercially unprofitable.
>>
>>64428406
not really, he didn't write any of his material and his music has aged really poorly.
>>
>>64428558
He wrote Billy Jean
>>
>>64428219
Such a shitty bait, really. You probably feel self-righteous by saying your bandwagon artist is better, and you remind me of young adults desperately trying to fit in.

The reality is, I'd rather listen to Katy Perry, because her songs are written by pros. Taylor Swift is just a talentless hack with 10/10 body. Just admit it—you don't even think her music is great, it's just that listening to it makes you feel accepted in society.
>>
>>64428558
I promise you, Taylor Swift's albums will age twice as fast as MJ's.

MJ had substance, and most of all, his music was just catchy and interesting. I don't really care about who wrote what. I care about the end result. And it's this: Smooth Criminal remains a catchy pop masterpiece, when all Swift's singles are barely memorable radio buzz tunes.
>>
>>64428628
>you don't even think her music is great
But I do

Not that you'll believe me
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.