[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is a spectrogram of the song Islands by King Crimson. Great
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: king crimson islands.png (710 KB, 1789x717) Image search: [Google]
king crimson islands.png
710 KB, 1789x717
This is a spectrogram of the song Islands by King Crimson. Great song, but in the trumpet part that comes in just after 6 minutes, there is a high-pitched sustained tone which is painful to listen to. You can see it in this spectrogram.

Can anyone tell me how to remove this specific frequency from that section without destroying the rest of the track? Thanks in advance.
>>
ITT: how into equalizer?
>>
how did they fuck up so bad? sure it's not just your copy?
>>
>>64326014
buy some good headphones, that frequency doesn't bother me at all.
>>
Every copy I've downloaded from soulseek (done about 6 or 7) has this issue. all flacs
>>
>>64326139
I don't want to kill all the highs because there's a lot going on with the trumpet there. I just want to mute those specific frequencies and kill that godawful beep.

>>64326205
I have the m50's, and I think it affects me a lot because I generally hate sibilance and such more than normal anyway. When I upgrade I'll definitely look for some warmer sounding ones.
>>
>>64326218
Just checked my own and it has the same problem, it's definitely a mastering issue. Has Islands ever been remastered?
>>
>>64326318
I've looked and I don't think so, unfortunately.
>>
There's also a weird high pitched sound around 5:13 or so
>>
>>64326382
I did some quick googling and according to this: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/king-crimson-islands-high-pitched-ringing.407997/ it's on pretty much all of the masters, even the Steven Wilson 40th Anniversary one.
>>
>>64326014
Download a better copy. From Soulseek.
>>
>>64326451
hmm, okay den
>>64326218
>>
>>64326014
Do a frequency analysis of that section, EQ out the peak that you see in the higher frequencies.
>>
>>64326419
>>64326318

Its really and issue? I think its intentional, i personally like that ringing honestly
>>
>>64326599
I don't think it's intentional, I think they fucked up the trumpet track
>>
File: kc islands.png (814 KB, 1920x861) Image search: [Google]
kc islands.png
814 KB, 1920x861
>>64326536
Thanks for the advice but I think I got it, I used the "Spectral edit parametric EQ" option and selected the offending part. After a couple of passes (there are two or three different frequencies) here's what it looks like. I can't hear the beeping anymore, thank god. I don't think I lost too much of the trumpet.

Let me know if anyone wants this, I can put it on mega.

>>64326599
the first couple of times I heard it I quite liked the ringing also, for a couple of seconds it was a neat effect. but it really is just jarring and abrasive now.
>>
Similar tones can be found in other recordings, including the interstellar soundtrack, and sections of dark side of the moon. The Culprit often is CRT monitors being in the control room during recording. In the case of the interstellar soundtrack, Hans zimmer had a close circuit TV setup to communicate with the organ player. These old folks have long since lost their sensitivity to high frequencies, and this sort of thing went unnoticed rather frequently.
>>
>>64326651
did you start with a flac so you don't get transcoding artifacts?
>>
>>64326700
I did
>>
>>64326682
>These old folks have long since lost their sensitivity to high frequencies

Seems like it's probably the culprit, it's not unlikely that most of the people remastering one of King Crimson's less well-known albums, as popular as the group is, would all be over 50 or 60.
>>
>>64326651
nice job m8.
and ive never ever heard a king crinson song lol
>>
>>64327008
Thanks. you should give them a try if you're interested in progressive rock at least a little.
>>
>>64326318
>>64326382
>>64326218
>>64326599
>>64326651
It's not a mastering issue, it's a recording issue. It's on the original tapes, and removing it would be revisionism.
>>
>>64327280
that's true. but at the end of the day I want to enjoy the song without that disgusting high pitched dog whistle.
>>
>>64327310
I'm not complaining about you removing it, I'm just stating that's the reason why it's released as it were even after being remastered.
>>
File: 1461185619405.gif (2 MB, 500x391) Image search: [Google]
1461185619405.gif
2 MB, 500x391
>>64326451
>soulseek
>>
I decided to check Steven Wilson's 2010 remix out because I was curious and even his remix has the high pitched noise. It has to be on the multitracks.
>>
I have a vinyl rip of it and it's not there.
>>
>>64327392
Makes sense
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.