[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of "Turn on the bright lights-Interpol"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
What does /mu/ think of "Turn on the bright lights-Interpol" ?

What genre would you call it?
More stuff like this? Which other album by interpol do you think is better or worth checking out?
>>
BUT IT'S DIFFERENT NOW THAT I'M POOR AND AGING
>>
Interpol is a post-punk band based in New York City, United States, that took an important part in the post-punk revival of the 2000s. The band consists of Paul Banks (vocals and guitar), Sam Fogarino (drums), and Daniel Kessler (guitar and backing vocals).
The band's sound is generally a mix of staccato bass and rhythmic, harmonized guitar, with a snare heavy mix, drawing comparisons to post-punk bands such as Joy Division and The Chameleons.

http://www.last.fm/music/Interpol/+similar
>>
>>64281586
thanks for posting.

>http://www.last.fm/music/Interpol/+similar
Is last.fm's similar feature reliable? i learnt about this today.
>>
>>64281643
yeah it's okay.
Checkout the Strokes and if you haven't already joy division and The Chameleons
>>
>>64281698
+ Television
>>
Closer is their best album
>>
>>64281133
lol I think I know who you are
>>
>>64282391
.. do you?
where am I from? Slip me a hint so that i can take you seriously?
>>
They bitch because everybody compares them to Joy Division, and they're right. It's way too kind, and I say that as someone who thanks Ian Curtis for making New Order possible. Joy Division struggled against depression rather than flaunting it, much less wearing it like a designer suit. What's truly depressing is that, just as the hairy behemoths of the grunge generation looked back to the AOR metal they immersed in as teens, these fops tweak the nostalgia of young adults who cherish indistinct memories of much worse bands than Joy Division, every one of them English--Bauhaus, Ultravox, Visage, Spandau Ballet, Tears for Fears. At a critical moment in consciousness they exemplify and counsel disengagement, self-seeking, a luxurious cynicism. Says certified British subject Peter Banks: "Emotions are standard and boring. I'd like to find another way to live." That's thinking either big or very small.
>>
>>64281133
Is thid your first time on /mu/?
>>
>>64282542
shut up
>>
>>64281133
"PDA" was a good song.
That's all I know about that album.
>>
>>64282508
Nah I'll just text you. I sure hope it's you. I don't want my friends to know I lurk here.
>>
>>64282938

which country?
>>
>>64282988
Not the US as I thought. Carry on. I forgot to actually check the time in the OP.
>>
>>64283041
where are you from? I don't have any friends so there is literally no one who could possible give a shit and therefore know about what I do in my free time (like the kind of music i listen to or the boards i browse).

also, if I were you I'd be less confident about having deduced someone's identity based on a post like mine. i'm sure interpol has a bigger following than you think.
>>
>>64281133
i love it one of my favourites

i see it often labeled as post-punk revival i believe. check out antics also by interpol, not as good as this one but definitely worth it
>>
>people still say Interpol sound like Joy Division
How much of a deaf pleb can you be to say this? Interpol has way more complex basslines and they do lot of two guitar stuff. Musically, they sound nothing alike. Plus, Paul Banks' vocals sound nothing like Ian Curtis', they sound like the guy from My Dad Is Dead.

Also, OLTA is underrated.
>>
>>64283361
I haven't listened to the newer Interpol stuff, but you might be the deaf one if you don't think Turn on the Bright Lights sounds like Joy Division. Listen to Leif Erikson and then listen to Decades.

You can say stupid things like "the basslines are different!" but that doesn't change the fact that they sound a lot like Joy Division overall.
>>
>>64283361
>Paul Banks' vocals sound nothing like Ian Curtis'
I'm so sorry you lost your hearing
>>
>>64283538
>the basslines are different
Well yeah. The guitar work is also different. JD's sound is much more minimal, unlike Interpol's. The only similarities is how they both have the bass as a central piece and both have baritone vocalists. And again, Banks' timbre is more similar to the guy from My Dad Is Dead than it is to Curtis'.
>>
>>64281133
It's one of those you-had-to-be-there albums. I only caught up with the garage rock revival when those initial bands were making what were their last albums in their opening streak: First Impressions of Earth, Show Your Bones, etc.

When I finally listened to TotBL I wasn't that into it desu.
>>
>>64283554
Ian Curtis's voice is much deeper and less flat
>>
>>64281133
1. TOTBL

[huge power gap]

2. Antics

[power gap]

3. s/t
4. Our Love to Admire
5. El Pintor
>>
>>64282542
Be quiet
>>
Sammy's first band The Holy Terrors when he still lived in SoFla. Great stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otugtV-oxk0
>>
>>64284836
s/t third? I see El pintor better, but both cases of course down Our Love To Admire
>>
>>64284836
You have shit taste.

>huge power gap
Stop being such a drone. The only thing Antics doesn't have that TOTBL is the focus in atmosphere. All songs are great and it has some of the best they made.

TOTBL > OLTA > Antics => El Pintor > s/t
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.