[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does this album receive so much hate?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 18
File: Folder.jpg (491 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
491 KB, 1500x1500
Why does this album receive so much hate?
>>
Neophobia
>>
>>64254315
Because /mu/ doesn't listen to music, they only care about how claiming to like or dislike something makes their taste look.
>>
>>64254379
This.
>>
File: SUN BAT HER.jpg (419 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
SUN BAT HER.jpg
419 KB, 2000x2000
>>64254315
It's basically a meme
>>
edgy contrarians pretend to dislike it on the basis of "dude its not even real black metal!" while they know nothing about black metal themselves or they think they're experts on the genre after listening to darkthrone once

fact of the matter is, its a good album regardless of what genre it belongs in or whetehr or not its 'trve kvlt'

I've listened to a lot of black metal by the way
>>
its about 3 times worse than everything else in its genre and about 3 times more entry level
>>
Its like Blink 182 in relation to punk. It cashed in on an underground and anti populist subgenre and sold it to 15 year old tumblrites.
>>
>>64254426
Is your topsters chart your life defining achievement?
>>
>>64254430
You're not even wrong, but how does that make it a bad album?
>>
It's a hipster album that became popular
>>
Because they got popular in a really short space of time which created a buzz about them which thus spawned contrarians who had to prove that they didn't care about the hype and thought it was shit without actually caring what music was on the album.

It's a great album desu
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 644x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 644x640
Metalshitheads can't take, that their genre can be listened by normies
>>
>>64254448
what
>>
Deafheaven is fedora/vape core.
>>
It introduced a lot of hipsters who don't listen to (much) metal in the first place to metal, and there are plenty of metalheads who hate that. More than that it also had most in common with one of the least mainstream accessible major styles of metal.
>>
File: deafheavenapple2.jpg (150 KB, 1000x744) Image search: [Google]
deafheavenapple2.jpg
150 KB, 1000x744
Because it's literally corporate bullshit. Before Deafheaven Blackgaze was a unique DIY scene and then they came and commercialized the shit out of it.

The music itself is overproduced and lacks that genuine feel of the first underground blackgaze bands.
>>
>>64254625
Imagine being this retarded
>>
it's an alright album, but it brought a lot of hipsters into the online metal sphere claiming that it's some bold new direction for metal. In reality it's just Envy with blast beats, barely metal at all, with a cancerous fan base.
>>
>>64254625
Thanks for reminding me. This right here was probably the weakest argument made by any metalhead who hated it.

>waahh there was a brief glimpse of the cover on an apple commercial it isn't trve kvlt normies get out of my metal reeeee

And yeah, hipsters blew it out of proportion claiming that metal had never gone in a direction like that before and other stupid bullshit, but still. It's not a good reason to hate it.
>>
>>64254642
Fuck off faggot. They're bad for the same reason Green Day and Blink 182 were bad for Punk. It's commercialized garbage for easy consumption .
>>
>>64254753
Dude I love punk! Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains, the list goes on and on...

Dude I love black metal! Burzum, Mayhem, Darkthrone, the list goes on and on...
>>
>>64254749
Imagine being this retarded
>>
>>64254458

Because hipsters only care about context and not about actual music on the album.
>>
>>64254625
>first underground blackgaze bands
can you name some bands? i'm interested and i want to listen to them
>>
It aesthetically embodies everything about the shift away from more traditional metal. If it weren't for the cover it wouldn't even really be that infamous since groups like Amesours had them beat to the punch anyway though.
>>
>>64254851
He can't. The reason being is blackgaze is a very recent thing (Ecailles de lune by Alcest was released in 2010), and its always been hipster bullshit no different from Deafheaven. Not underground at all either. I know several normies that like bands like Alcest and Austere.

Check out Paysage d'Hiver though.
>>
>>64254909
aight thanks, i will
>>
>>64254315
because its not good
>>
>>64254625
it was put out by Deathwish Inc, who are the complete opposite of corporate. Apple has always tried to have a 'hip' image, so I imagine the only reason the cover art was used by them was because it was getting praised across the board from blogs and 'indie' sites like P4K. That, and it matched the colour of their product.

Personally I think its fantastic that the album got so popular, because that means more money goes to Deathwish, who more than deserve it.
>>
>>64254909

Arguably you've got Amesoeurs kickstarting it in 2006, but that's largely the same crew as Alcest anyway.
>>
>>64254394
you fucking said it bro
>>
>>64254909
from listening to those bands too I definitely think Deafheaven had the biggest contrast between the loud aggressive moments and the light melodic moments too.
They also were more concise and to the point with their musical ideas, a lot of Alcest reminds me of Explosions in the Sky in that you have these long drawn out crescendos that never seem to go anywhere interesting. Deafheaven were a lot more explosive in that sense.
>>
>>64254826
that was literally your argument
>>
ahahahhaha did u guys see when they played live at like coachella

holy fuck I couldn't make it through 5 minutes, I felt embarrassed just watching it
>>
>>64255586
maybe it was the p4k festival actually
>>
>>64255418
not me
>>
because its pink and most metalheads are complete aspies /thread
>>
because of how they look and because pitchfork rated them really highly
>>
>>64254315
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0twCQz-VCw
>>
>>64257242
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kRbk5jhA6k
>>
>>64254315
it's just not good. i actually feel like the people who like it are doing for the wrong reason rather than the people who hate it
>>
>>64254394
This pretty much sums up everything
>>
It's definitely a good album but it's basically a poor-man's Celestial Lineage. The """screamo""" elements in their sound have been grossly overstated. New Bermuda is superior is every way.

Also, fuck the culture that surrounds specific genres of music. Y'all need to get a life, and admittedly i'm the last person in the world who should say that to anyone.
>>
It's not the greatest thing ever but it's a pretty solid album.

If the cover was a shitty black and white picture taken with a flip phone people wouldn't be so mad about it.
>>
File: sunbat.jpg (104 KB, 957x679) Image search: [Google]
sunbat.jpg
104 KB, 957x679
>>
File: ihsahnpromo2013new_638.jpg (19 KB, 637x401) Image search: [Google]
ihsahnpromo2013new_638.jpg
19 KB, 637x401
>thinking people hate them because they look like hipsters

One of the most respected black metal muscians looks like this
>>
>>64254315
>this replaced In Flames, SOAD and Metallica as babby's first metal band
>>
>>64257331
>implying the cover is shit
It's not a perfect album musically but the cover art is amazing
>>
>>64257499
re read his post pls
>>
>>64257481
no it didnt
>>
File: sunabbather.jpg (101 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
sunabbather.jpg
101 KB, 600x600
>>
>>64254909
>calling paysage d'hiver black gaze
fuck off
>>
>>64257410
>the panda
literally kek'd
>>
>>64257410
That fucking Panda. Kek.
>>
File: 1C4X2BQ.jpg (42 KB, 636x422) Image search: [Google]
1C4X2BQ.jpg
42 KB, 636x422
>>64257499
Please learn how to read, friend.
>>
File: CK8qbQSUEAAGpbd.jpg (18 KB, 601x599) Image search: [Google]
CK8qbQSUEAAGpbd.jpg
18 KB, 601x599
>>
>>64257410
>the fucking panda
10/10
>>
>They're all friends with the writers at P4K
>Their music is now popular because of this
There's nothing else to say.
>>
>>64257735
>>64257625
>>64257628
>not noticing gene simmons
>>
>>64254315
I listened to it and didn't like it.

No I'm not and "elitist", it just sucks.
>>
>>64257410
lmao
>>
>>64257758
>yfw i actually did
>>
>>64257768
>yfw i actually did
>>
To put it into context for people who don't listen to meal. Imagine if you woke up one day and suddenly everyone including P4k were calling Fallout Boy a stand up example of punk rock.
But when you try and argue that no they're actually complete shit, everyone just says you're buttmad because fallout boy don't look like a punk band.
>>
>>64254315
Because this is actually bearable unlike 70% of metal.
>>
>>64254315
I kinda like it, but I can't get into it. I could see other listeners having a more hostile reaction
>>
>>64257946
except fallout boy isnt punk. Deafheaven IS a black metal band.

>To put it into context for people who don't listen to meal
Ive been listening to meal for over 10 years. I just not an elitist who cant think critically
>>
>>64258043
>Deafheaven IS a black metal band
except they're not?
>>
>>64258043
>attempting to argue with bearface

You're trying to argue with someone who values an album's runtime over an album's content

There is no winning simply because the other side doesn't know what "defeat" means
>>
File: Deafheaven.png (69 KB, 1254x364) Image search: [Google]
Deafheaven.png
69 KB, 1254x364
>>64258043
>Deafheaven IS a black metal band.
>>
>>64257946
>But when you try and argue that no they're actually complete shit

If that's your argument then what do you expect?
>>
File: 1446336941238.png (300 KB, 562x437) Image search: [Google]
1446336941238.png
300 KB, 562x437
>>64258043
>fallout boy isnt punk. Deafheaven IS a black metal band.
>>
>>64258043
Fallout is pop-punk

Yeah you make claims to how much meal you like dude but anyone with like a modicum of taste would be embarrassed about liking that band.
desu I don't mind that much anymore since its obvious that after the buzz wore down on their third album everyone is just gonna forget about them in a few years anyway.
>>
>>64258043
>Deafheaven IS a black metal band.
i actually like deafheaven, but nah, they're not BM
>>
>>64258082
b-b-but the p4k review of sunbather has "black metal" in it
>>
>>64258149
jesus this review is so cringe
>black metal won't be the same now that it's been released
>>
>>64258205
Naaah m8 this review is actually genius.
It's one thing to tell everyone that what you're pointing to is the real deal but it's another thing entirely to empower your audience to point at the thing you're pointing at and declare that it's the real deal.
>>
Because stunted metalheads can't stand the fact that black metal came of age with this album.
>>
>>64257581
I didn't, and I don't know why you would be offended by that anyway. black-gaze took its roots from atmo-black so I'd rec it to anyone that likes black-gaze.
>>
>>64258149
"wide-screen" is the new "angular guitar" over at p4k
>>
>>64258350
>>64258282
>>64258205
See what I fucking mean mazi, you could write a book on how clever and manipulative Brandon's review is.
>>
>>64257946
Why are they complete shit? them not being black metal isnt a reason
>>
>>64254315
>mfw /mu/ tries to talk about a genre they have not a single clue about
It receives the ammount of hate because it's overrated and it's just not a good album no matter from which perspective you look at it, shit's 3/10 at the very most
>>
>>64258423
Please enlighten us, oh wise one.

>shit's 3/10 at the very most
its funny, you may find that opinions vary from person to person from time to time.
>>
>>64258514
Might as well defend nickelback
>>
>>64258282
the thing is p4k likes to make narratives, and they're very influential on a lot of people. they like to be in charge of the progress of genres and they love to fit things that don't necessary fit into their view of things.
this album isn't black metal. it'd be hard to find a black metal fan that at the moment of sunbather's release listened to it and thought it was bm. but p4k created this narrative that not only was this black metal, this was great and ground-breaking and this was were black metal was headed. now what it did was, to the people who HAVE to like the albums p4k gives BNM to, it became what black metal is. they probably didn't have any past experience with the genre, they considered themselves too cool for metal, and didn't have any clear picture of what black metal was. it's not a bad album desu. it's like a 5. is it the best in it's genre? no. is it new or fresh, something that's the first of it's kind? no. does it fit thematically or musically into black metal? no. but what the p4k review did was retroactively changed the definition of black metal so sunbather could fit into it as a good album of the genre in the year it was released. black metal (the wrong definition of it) became the cool thing to like like indie was two decades ago and hip hop among white people was a decade ago. sure now you have people who claim they've been listening to black metal for years and they still think this is bm and a good example of it, but we all know it's bs. they went back and listened to some darkthrone or mayhem and didn't like it but they're thought process wasn't "hey maybe this thing that p4k told me to like isn't black metal" but rather "man black metal used to suck before sunbather"
>>
>>64258561
sorry for the ramble that i'm not sure makes sense since it's not in my native language. i'm not really bothered by people liking this or calling it black metal. it's more like you love italian food and there's a guy next to you eating a hot dog and he's like man i like italian food too. just that.

>>64258389
sorry. i just love paysage d'hiver a lot desu
>>
>>64258548
hahaha! nickelback! epic meme dude!

>>>/b/
>>
>>64254753
>>64254430
>not liking blink 182
Stop lying to yourself
>>
>>64258422
Strip away the bm elements and all you have left is a post-rock band dude.
desu before I'd listened to Sunbather I'd listened to Road to Juda year or so before
S U N
B A T
H E R
came out (I can't resist sorry)
And I was kind of shocked over how nothing fucking changed and they kept a lot of the same post-rock cliches just with some better production.
You could even point to bands that were kind of doing the same thing at the time Roads was released (Like Woods of Desolation, ypres or even Agalloch at the time) and they still sound bit more aggressive and bit less predictable when compared to Deafheaven right now.
>>64258561
>what the p4k review did was retroactively changed the definition of black metal so sunbather could fit into it as a good album of the genre in the year it was released
Yeah fucking spot on.
It's actually kind of interesting because if any other online pub did this they'd be laughed out of business but since P4K is where its at now they can afford to do stuff like this.
>>
File: Deafheaven_-_New_Bermuda.jpg (68 KB, 329x329) Image search: [Google]
Deafheaven_-_New_Bermuda.jpg
68 KB, 329x329
>deafheaven isnt black metal

sunbather is gritty post rock with shoegaze and metal influences. pic related is black metal
>>
File: bs35.jpg (237 KB, 959x625) Image search: [Google]
bs35.jpg
237 KB, 959x625
>>64258699
>pic related is black metal
sure thing buddy
>>
>>64258750
more so than sunbather. its not black metal in the sense of like mayhem and emperor, but it is more so than sunbather and the "sunbather is best black metal" meme is old
>>
Lmao guys
Are the albums actually any good? Which of Sunbather or New Bermuda is better? Which should I listen to first?
>>
Stop arguing fags. It's clearly Pink Metal.
>>
>>64258802
nope, turned it off after 10 mins, might be the blandest album I've ever heard
>>
>>64258802
Its very good
>>
>>64258802
>Are the albums actually any good?
i dunno anon, they weren't my cup of tea. mostly cuz i don't like chunks of shit in my tea
>>
>>64258699
This. New Bermuda is black metal.
>>
File: 1461206393347.png (72 KB, 255x326) Image search: [Google]
1461206393347.png
72 KB, 255x326
>>64254625
>>
>>64254315
Literally because it got popular. There's plenty of other Blackgaze albums that sound very similar, but this just happened to be the one that spread into popularity.

As a result black metalheads are upset that this is whats representing their genre, even though deafheaven have said consistently that they aren't black metal.
>>
>>64254315
Because Black metal purists, prove me wrong.
>>
>>64254315
It's touted to be an excellent album, but it's actually sub-par post-rock / shoegaze with little sense of direction.
>>
File: deafheavenapple[1].jpg (68 KB, 1000x625) Image search: [Google]
deafheavenapple[1].jpg
68 KB, 1000x625
>>64254315
The popularity effect. The album appeared in an iPhone ad for the 5C where different coloured covers were used for the different coloured phones.

From then on it was over.
>>
>>64257481
This is the most wrong statement on the internet right now
>>
>>64258561
> I don't buy into the elaborate lies of p4k like everyone else

You're just too damn clever aren't you?

Offtopic: Is p4k to /mu/ what illuminati is to /pol/?
>>
>>64259759
I have actually not heard an album that sounds very similar. And trust me I've been looking. I have liked a lot of what I've found, but it doesn't sound like Deafheaven/Sunbather. What albums are you thinking of?

Pls none of the usual Agalloch/Amesoeurs/WitTR/listgoeson
>>
>>64261486
>You're just too damn clever aren't you?
i would like to think so
>>
>>64261574
Look outside blackgaze and into post-rock.
>>
>>64262033
But will I find blastbeats and shrieking vocals there? It's that intensity mixed with post-rock segments that I enjoy.
>>
Sunbather is the fucking greatest album ever. Honestly. If you fucking hate this album you need to blow your fucking brains out of the back your head with a shotgun. Hold the trigger with your big toe and grab the barrel with your hands, shoving it right to your forehead before pulling the trigger so your brains splatter wildly on the wall and chair behind you. The police will arrive shortly due to the sounds and smell coming from the room- at first they will be shocked, but then upon examining your computer history they'll find out what shitty opinions you have and toss your body in the river like garbage. No one will miss you.

Stop fucking posting this album if you don't have anything nice to say.
>>
File: nigga u wot.jpg (41 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
nigga u wot.jpg
41 KB, 500x500
>>64258043
> using 'elitist' as a perjorative
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.