[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Legitimately BAD experimental albums?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7
You know, /mu/, I realized I always hear about experimental music in good light. But have you ever heard any experimental which sounded legitimately bad to you? Or saw any reviews if actually bad experimental albums, which just didn't work? Pic unrelated
>>
>>64245531
trout mask replica
>>
that last miley cyrus record is usually my go-to example when I'm trying to tell someone that "experimental" and "good" are far from synonymous
because it's undeniably unique and experimental but it's just as undeniably garbage
>>
>>64245531
That hello Kitty album that is 100% genre-less

I've never the type to go this extreme with an opinion, but it's not worth the seconds you spend trying to listen before you stop it. Seriously.
>>
my next album lol
>>
>>64245552
Actually not being the kind of "experimental = good" guy, I enjoyed Trout Mask Replica. Why?

The story of the album is key. Read how it was recorded. It's an improvised gibberish, but it's recorded like a rehearsed real piece of music.

Yep, it's exceptionally weird, but it's a totally unique experience at the same time.

Talk Talk's Laughing Stock is somewhat similar. An attempt to make music from scratch, from pure improvisation. When you know the concept, it blows your mind. And again, I'm the guy who listens to Def Leppard and Ozzy Osbourne
>>
>>64245793
Dude, as a TMR fan I'm surprised you aren't used to people not "getting" it by now.

I'm a Residents fan, and we practically have it worse in that regard.
>>
>>64245896
I'm new to /mu/, I don't really care. Only /mu/ seems to like that album, because Scaruffi.

Having played guitar, it kind of helped me to get into it—I can hear hen something sound sloppy or when it had been rehearsed a thousand times.

As for the Residents, haven't got into them yet
>>
>>64245638
lol
>>
>>64245557
this
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 316x316) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 316x316
>>64245552
>>64245599
Wrong
>>
kyle and the gang - gta v
>>
Ummagumma
>>
https://craigculberton.bandcamp.com/album/danger-2

https://craigculberton.bandcamp.com/album/depersonalized-hermit-and-the-brainless-juice

Pretty sure albums like you describe are a dime a dozen OP
>>
>>64245994
If you're open minded enough to understand TMR, you're already halfway there. Start with Meet The Residents if you're already defending TMR on /mu/
>>
>>64245552
this.
>>
There's tons. Experimental is an incredibly broad term.
>>
>>64246068
thank you. i love animal collective, even their more experimental stuff. HCTI is awesome STGSTV is epic, and i even dig alot of Hollidagain,

but this album just seems so half baked and boring
>>
>>64246306
Gives me a migraine, and I love STGSTV.
>>
https://youtu.be/ZBaeS1sNH3g
>>
Most Onkyo is honestly pretty awful. There's some good stuff there (like every other genre), but you really have to look.
>>
>>64245552
/thread
>>
>>64246514
it's not 音楽, it's 音響
if you listen to it like music, the awful one is you
>>
>>64245793
>It's an improvised gibberish

You claim that the story of the album is key yet you don't even know the story yourself.
>>
File: file.png (90 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
file.png
90 KB, 300x300
>>
>>64246546

Hello, AntiWarhol
>>
Anything by the Residents

also The Gerogerogege and Merzbow
>>
>>64246609
huh, i like andy warhol
>>
>>64246612

>He doesn't like Senzuri Power Up
>He doesn't like Instruments Disorder
>>
>>64246612
are you the underage twink with the ugly girlfriend?
>>
it's so delightful to see that people still insist TMR is bad, when really they just don't like it.
>>
anything by psychic tv and genesis p-orridge related shitty "art" projects

fucking no-talent degenrate piece of shit
>>
>>64246645
It has nothing to do with the audience not getting it. We get the idea. The idea behind the album, however, does not make it any less offensive to the ear.
>>
>>64246643
at least he has a gf unlike you neckbeard boi
>>
>>64246119
Found the charlatan.
>>
>>64246677
see, nowhere in my post did i say anything about "getting it" though, there really isn't a whole lot to get, although i do think it demands multiple listens
>>
It might be actually difficult to find genuinely bad experimental, as the point where you actually get exposed to something, it has to be good already. I would suggest going through certain tags on soundcloud or bandcamp to find thr millions of horrible experimental albums with like five plays. All the bigger names are already good, because it might be the most difficult genre to get recognition
>>
>>64245531
The Ark Work
>>
File: Beck - Golden Feelings.jpg (77 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Beck - Golden Feelings.jpg
77 KB, 500x500
This rancid fecal matter
>>
Kim Gordon isn't looking good desu
>>
90% of experimental music
>>
>>64246068
i dunno dude. throwin the round ball, lablakely dress, essplode, and the second half of ahh good country are some of animal collective's most interesting songs/melodies. it def drags in some parts but i don't really think it's bad enough to be considered like experimental gone wrong but i guess that's just my little onion
>>
>>64245793
>it's supposed to bad, that's the point
>yeah, but that doesn't make it good
Misquoting /co/
>>
File: Good Morning Good Night.png (374 KB, 570x570) Image search: [Google]
Good Morning Good Night.png
374 KB, 570x570
Was this posted yet?
>>
File: liars-drums-not-dead.jpg (840 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
liars-drums-not-dead.jpg
840 KB, 1000x1000
>>
>>64246714
put your trip back on.
>>
>>64246861
Don't see why it would be.
>>
99% percent of it is garbage, made by no talent art school hacks.

/mu/ only fetishizes it because it's usually obscure and "inaccessible."

Truth is, a lot of it is more vapid than top 40 pop.
>>
>>64246833
Lablakey is in their top five but it's a song meant to be performed live.

In fact, as a studio album I'd give Danse a 5.5 but live it would probably be an 8.5. The experimental nature demands a live playing
>>
>>64246871
that's a pretty bad opinion you got there friendo
>>
>>64246068
>meet the light child
>lablakley dress
two 10/10 songs push it up a bit surely
>>
>>64246137
this guy's newer stuff is actually somewhat interesting honestly
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.