[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Preoccupations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 7
What does everyone think of Viet Cong's new name, then?
>>
>>64229036
awful band name but I guess when SJWs are shrieking for you to change it you have to act quickly
>>
I'm preoccupied with not caring
>>
>>64229036
They should have renamed their band Charlie
>>
>>64229036

You can't make this shit up. This SJW generation is fucking hillarious
>>
I still reckon they should've changed their name to The Gooks.
>>
>>64229036
Hahaha, they all look like the exact sort of weedy, self-conscious clown who would allow themselves to be bullied and have their behavior dictated by shrill, snotty Tumblr millenials.
I don't go much for the whole "cuck" meme but in this case it fits like a glove. These dudes are cucks through and through.
>>
blondie is pretty hot tbqh
>>
>>64229075
nice one, that would of been perfect
>>
I 100% did not understand why they didn't keep their name as "Viet Cong."
>>
>>64229190
Lefty libbies at work
>>
>>64229045
>>64229112
>>64229122
but that's their target
>>
File: qt.jpg (115 KB, 927x587) Image search: [Google]
qt.jpg
115 KB, 927x587
>>
>>64229036
just look at them
I'm surprised they even had the balls to name it something so "offensive" in the first place to be honest
>>
>>64229204
no but I mean what was their problem?
>>
>>64229285
it was allegedly racist or offensive or something

it's the exact same as wearing a Che Guevara t-shirt
>>
>>64229190
While i agree with it being bullshit that they have to change their name, sometimes i think you have to choose your battles y'know? Like would it have been worth the trouble fighting to keep the name?
>>
>>64229036
Pussys, who wants join my band I'm calling it Captain Negros and the Viet Congos , going to be a dub roots reggae
>>
>>64229321
when you start letting your audience define you as an artist you got some serious problems
>>
>>64229321
Yeah it is you're a punk band show some balls.
>>
Viet Cong was such a good name and this generic indeh rawk sounding crap is the best they could come up with
>>
>>64229351
Yeah i guess you're right
>>
>>64229332
can we open for you? I play in a psychedelic punk band called "I'm Gonna Shit in Your Mom's Vagina ft. Blacks Are Genetically Inferior"
>>
>>64229351
To be fair it's hard to remember that they are a punk band at heart considering that they're the most unpunk looking band. Would always put them under the indie umbrella or something.
>>
>>64229380
With a name like that I should be opening for you.

Also I'm >>64229351

Its pains me to see them do this because I really like viet cong and now I'm probably going be seeing them differently when I hear them. One of the best releases of 2015
>>
>>64229402
Yeah lol post punk bands can be like ,
>>
>>64229403
>One of the best releases of 2015
LMFAO
no wonder you care about a shitty name. you have shit taste

You faggot nobody was booking them anymore. No shows=no money
not like your neet ass has bought the album anyway.
>>
>>64229402
Also them doing this doesn't help their case of having a punk at heart attitude when some of their songs are about rebellion. Fucking poessures
>>
>>64229431
Haha 2015 was a shit year, doesn't mean viet cong was good. Just one that wasn't as shitty. Kinda like how picking shitty jobs are.

You also got the wrong Idea I don't give a fuck about the name, I care about them giving in so easily to changing it. They could be the fucking The 4chan.org goers for all i care.

Don't be so upset.
>>
>>64229441
Mgla was another release I liked that was 2015 wbu, share some light what was some good releases of 2015.
>>
>>64229403
I think i'd still like listening to them despite this shitshow. I'd understand how people wouldn't be able to separate the art from this situation though
>>
>>64229481
You just said "I really like viet cong"
Don't tell me you couldn't Afford the digital for $7?
https://vietcong.bandcamp.com/

Bands like this wouldn't have to change their name if you guys actually supported them financially.
>>
File: front.jpg (853 KB, 1625x1476) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
853 KB, 1625x1476
>>64229511
meh they're definitely cucks of the highest order, but not being able to separate their music from their personalities is like not being able to enjoy pic related because he said mean things about Jews
>>
>>64229511
Yeah forgive me if came off as a fucking pretentious twat, image has nothing to do with a bands sound. I just think it's hypocrital when their songs are apathetic, and they do this. I guess maybe it shows they don't care about a name and will let any one change their name for them.
>>
>>64229525
I understand where you are getting at. It does suck.
>>
These dudes have fucked up quite badly by doing this.
If they kept the name and just continued doing their thing this manufactured and extremely contrived "controversy" would just fade away on its own after a while.
Now that they changed their name due to pressure from slacktivist Tumblrites they have not only undoubtedly lost a sizable portion of their audience which now perceives them as wimps, they haven't even gained a new audience consisting of those same slacktivist Tumblrites because slacktivist Tumblrites aren't the people buying their records and going to their shows. Combine these factors with the fact that their new name is completely and utterly forgettable and dull(do you think you're ever going to see anyone gushing over the new Preocuppations album?) and you realize that they have massively fucked themselves over.
This band won't exist in 4 years. 5 years tops.
>>
>>64229603
The new album needs to be called viet cong
>>
>tfw the name Viet Cong is now free for my Vietnam War concept album
Feels good man
>>
>>64229634
Keep us updated
>>
What happened to whirr
>>
>>64229036
I don't care about them and I've never listened to their music but it really annoys me that they changed their name, they must lack any kind of artistic expression if, at the first sight of someone getting upset, they change their image to not offend them. And seriously, who is getting offended by the name Viet Cong? Unless you're a literal communist who swills yourself in the dirty water of paddy fields you have no legitimate reason to be upset by the name.
>>
Viet Cong should have just said "we are paying homage to an anti-colonial force" and spun it that way. Or made a big deal about changing their name, only to reveal "Viet Minh"
>>
>change name to Preoccupations
>tfw no-one realises it's because they're pre-occupied with spreading Communism through Vietnam.
Well played lads. Take that SJWs.
>>
>>64229671
>they'll never have the chance to rename themselves Victor and the Charlies
>>
i view it as a business choice. they lost business having their name as viet cong, the only "business" they'll lose from this is less 4channers downloading their music for free because "muh pc lefty sjw cuck muh muh ruining effrything wah"
>>
>>64229694
this, it's their target demo if losing a few """"fans""" that wouldn't even buy their stuff is the price so be it
>>
Terrible name. Should've stayed with Viet Cong to be honest.

Viet Cong looks good on paper and is generally easier to say. Preoccupations is clunky and awkward. Not to mention the fact that this is really going to ruin them as a band.
Oh well. If they were going to change the name, they should've changed it to something appealing.
>>
it's too many syllables. Apparently Chad Vangaalen made up the name, but had a whole list he submitted for them to use. I'd be curious about seeing those (though they'd prob never release it because I'm sure plenty of them were jokey and even more offensive than viet cong).
>>
>>64230053
They probably should've stuck with the VC scheme, similar to what Default Genders (Dead Girlfriends) did.

Maybe they could've changed their name to Verified Council or Various Changes or something.
>>
>>64229036
like their previous stuff (and women), but this is fucking bush league. why even use viet cong in the first place if you're afraid of the connotations. the connotations make it.
>>
>>64229036
of course the new name isn't going to be as good. censored art is never as good. it's like a statue with tits but no nipples.
>>
>A gaggle of emasculated faggots with the fortitude of eunuchs

More like the preoperations amirite
>>
>>64229045
>you have to act quickly
it took them over a year lmao
>>
>>64229299
if you look up the origin of the name it was undeniably racist

even if it wasn't originated in a racist joke it's still ridiculous to have a bunch of white dudes from alberta name their band after something that is extremely sensitive to certain people
>>
>>64229603
>Tumblrites aren't the people buying their records and going to their shows.

they were pretty huge on tumblr for a while
>>
>>64229628
lmao, this
I was hopping the would have named themselves Khmer Rouges tho
>>
>>64230613
I don't get it. If I call my band "Lenin" or "Hitler Youth" or "North Korea" or "IRA" I get that it would upset people because it's a sensitive subject, but I think accusations of it being necessarily racist are unfounded. It's not about the Viet Cong being Vietnamese or whatever.
>>
>>64230613
everyone knows 'viet cong' and i don't know how re-appropriating the name is racist.

but let the south vietnamese capitalists and neo-colonists tell me different.
>>
Not a fan of the name. Granted, I liked the Viet Cong name, but I don't think a word like Preoccupations works as a band name unless you're twee as fuck indie pop. It just conjures up a particular image that doesn't suit them.

>>64230532
Underrated post
>>
>>64229036
white people are so stupid and annoying
>>
>>64230613
>even if it wasn't originated in a racist joke it's still ridiculous to have a bunch of white dudes from alberta name their band after something that is extremely sensitive to certain people

That's the fucking point you imbecile.

Art is occasionally meant to be offensive or uncomfortable for people. Even if it is a shitty meaningless band.

The fact that they gave up the name based off of people being offended shows that they are shills with no artistic credibility.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-21-16-15-14.png (210 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-21-16-15-14.png
210 KB, 720x1280
Savage
>>
>>64231041
Art should be for everyone, not just straight white dudes. It's hard to understand the pain marginalised people suffer, believe me, I used to be an edgy white teenager too, but I've changed and grown, I've learned the value of empathy. Listen to people of colour, listen to queer people.It can be a very valuable learning experience.
>>
>>64231041
This.
If they come here I'll be the one wearing the shirt that says "change your name back to viet cong. Fuck the sjws"
>>
>>64231117
If you get offended on another demographics behalf so much that you have to censor someone else then fuck you. You're the racist.
>>
>>64231128
no you wouldn't
>>
>>64231150
I will and I live in libtard heaven.
>>
>>64231141
It is my duty as a privileged person to amplify marginalised voices. 'Political correctness' is not even a thing, imo. simply a sign of increasing empathy and concern for other people regardless of their gender, race or sexual orientation. Unfortunately, some people (white dudes, mostly) feel threatened by it and I think that's really sad.
>>
>>64231218
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>64231218
I'm a not straight man and you do not need to fight for me, you see us as your pets, just someone you can own and pretend to care about.
>>
>>64229603
a lot of their shows were getting canceled though. if they're losing gigs and essentially money they kinda had to do it
>>
File: IMG_3272.jpg (51 KB, 559x598) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3272.jpg
51 KB, 559x598
>>64231141
>>64231246
>>64231291
>actually responding
>>
>>64229664
people who's families were killed by the viet cong maybe you fucking retard
>>
>tfw you lived long enough to see anti-imperialism become un-punk

What happened?
>>
>>64231559
>Dead Kennedys
>Joy Division
>who are some of the most iconic and favorite bands of these same SJWs who got butt hurt from the name viet cong
>>
File: 61+H5kFdrML._SY355_.jpg (18 KB, 266x355) Image search: [Google]
61+H5kFdrML._SY355_.jpg
18 KB, 266x355
>>64231559
maybe they where bourgeoisie reactionaries and lackeys of imperialism who really had it coming
>>
>>64231041
they're the fucking artists, it's their art and up to them to decide whether they want it to be offensive or not.
>>
>>64231559
What about the people the US and France slaughtered? What about the generations of children with birth defects from the use of Agent Orange? What about the right of self determination?
>>
>>64231597
theyre not the same sjws, thats the thing. It was mostly vietnamese people who protested the name in the first place. Also don't you see that all you people being this offended by the fact that people were offended in the first place is kinda ironic. That's what i don't about the whole sjw thing, like fuck who gives a shit
>>
It's a shit name that makes them look like edgy tryhards. They probably got raided by ex-NLF members that got them on blast for being le edgy whitemen.
>>
>>64231684
yea does that offend you? i personally dont give a shit, but go tweet them if you're upset.
>>
Lame. Should have changed it to Reimer.
>>
>>64229036
I'm working on a noise rock project called 'ZOG Machine Buddha' take that, SJWs
>>
>>64231117
crocodile tears shed for the 'marginalized' neocolonials/historical revisionism dressed up as 'empathy'.

you're a john bircher in the guise of a dyke. congratulations.
>>
>>64232315
Can I join
>>
>>64229036
sounds less forceful. They should have gone withsomething warlike or angrier.
>>
>>64231218
you have no understanding of political or historical context. you've used the precious rhetoric of the left to insulate the feelings of the children of exploiters and expropriators.

the marginalized voices are those who stand w the project of the vietcong-- not your privileged friends at some second tier liberal arts college.
>>
>>64231559
yeah i'm crying imperialist/colonial tears.
>>
>>64233517
;(
>>
>>64230652
Hitler Youth would actually be racist, though.
>>
>>64229268
where do I start with this band?
>>
>>64234063
No, it isn't. It's merely a reference.
>>
So when does the gy!be boycott start on account of them titling a track "Mladic"?
>>
>>64231117
>Art should be for everyone

wrong
>>
>>64234461
feel free to start one if you're upset
>>
>>64234461
Serbs are white in the eyes of facebook americans so never.
>>
>>64234461
Well it's one of their best songs so I hope never
>>
>>64231684
Glad you mentioned Agent Orange. The band Agent Orange has existed for over 30 years and ndver had to deal with this BS. So fuck millennials.
>>
File: ratkomladic.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
ratkomladic.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
>>64234461
And to add insult to injury that fucker has gone on to do stand up comedy.
>>
>>64234077
the one album they have
>>
Its a pretty boring and standard name, I would have preferred something more fitting to the music.
And seriously fuck everyone who hates them because of the name change, they were losing money and support for shows and most of the people who complained about the name had fair reasons as they actually had family members who were fucking killed by Viet Cong.
And yeah you can use Joy Division and other punk bands as examples of names with offensive meaning but that was like fucking 30+ years ago and a lot of things have changed.
People should take a step back and look at things that are deemed offensive and see it from other people's perspective and not just write off everyone as a tumblr sjw or whatever, it seriously just makes you look like a close-minded asshole.
>>
>>64230613
gang of four
joy division

etc
>>
>>64236984
>And seriously fuck everyone who hates them because of the name change, they were losing money and support for shows and most of the people who complained about the name had fair reasons as they actually had family members who were fucking killed by Viet Cong.

they were probably capitalist dogs anyway. filthy neoliberals have no right to use social progressivism as their shield only when it suits them
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.