[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rate pls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: MBDTF.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
MBDTF.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1500
Rate pls
>>
Some of the songs drag way too long
Lyricism could be better
Other than that its p good
>>
6/10 most overrated album on /mu/
>>
>>64026798
Pretty much this.
Thread closed.
>>
>>64026734
9.75-10
Best Hip Hop album since Illmatic
>>
9/10

A bit overrated, but still the best hip hop album of the 2010s so far.
>>
>5/10

But i think hip hop is garbage as a whole so I guess my opinion doesnt matter
>>
>>64027035
It's ok I like Hip Hop and dislike it
>>
very overrated 7/10, not a fan of kanye talking about how kanye he be.
>>
6.5/10

A handful of great songs, some okay ones, and too many shitty ones to be considered a good album.

>muh maxmimalist, concept album, story telling

Next time someone uses these buzzwords to justify their praising of the album beyond it's production then ask them what makes it maximalist and what the concept/story is. 9 times out of ten you realize you're talking with an idiot who isn't familiar with hip hop outside of earl sweatshirt, danny brown, asap rocky and other extremely mediocre rappers from the 2010s. Nothing about this album is original, especially not the concept.
>>
>>64026734
any1 knows the name of that album with the werid cat on the cover? it has a red background aswell
>>
7.5/10
>>
I take it over Yeezus and TLOP. Actually enjoyed Yeezus. TLOP is just overhyped and forgettable garbage.
>>
>>64027279
I have never met anyone who would praise it for being a concept album or story telling because it isn't a concept album. And the "story telling" is the usual open book Kanye....where did you even get those from?
>>
>>64026798
this

maybe 5/10 though
>>
easy 10/10 and one of the best albums of the decade so far
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 400x400
>>64028144
>>
>>64027792
First day on /mu/?

There are hundreds of Kanyefags from /mu/, reddit, KTT who will talk about this as a concept album, discuss very vague "themes" even throw in terms like "the narrator of the story." They think that if they treat the album like a piece of literature it magically becomes brilliant and an intellectual masterpiece. If you ask any of them to describe absolutely anything about the themes/story/characters, at best you might get something vague about "it's a study of celebrity," at worst they'll tell you to listen to it yourself.

Kanyefags exist in a world where the mere existence of a "theme" on a record is something that has never been done and is the work of true genius.
>>
>>64026798
>>64026819
fuck you
thread open
>>
The only tracks I liked on this album are Devil in a new dress and Monster.
Also, I dont really like Blame Game, but the yeezy taught me bit is hilarious
>>
>>64026734
9/10
>>
Now of course this is just my opinion, but here goes:
MBDTF is one of the best albums I've had the pleasure of listening to. I went in to it with a lot of hype, but also fear - because 808's wasn't my jam back then and still doesn't do much for me. I heard that snippet of Power before the album actually came out and I was impressed, but I tried to keep it under control so my expectations weren't too high. I remember his album came out pretty late too - late November if I recall correctly... but that full film thing came out a few weeks before the album's release.
Man, that thing was weird as hell, but I found it strangely captivating. The direction and cinematography was beautiful (that model certainly helped), but the music...oh god the music just fit perfectly. It was very clear Kanye had this whole concept in his head when he was making the album, and the idea came into fruition in this film (and later, the album itself). Now, maybe it's just me (a fellow musician who fantasizes about being as successful and influential as someone like Kanye West - but also someone who imagines up vivid stories to go along with his music) but the fact that he was able to make and release something like this just inspired me....not just to make music, but make great music that people enjoyed - and maybe even pay for if they appreciated it enough.
Once the album came out, I went to the store and got myself a physical copy, stuck it in the CD player in my car, and just drove around in a park listening to this shit. I still remember the first time listening through, because everything was vaguely familiar from that film, but hearing it in the full context made me appreciate it even more.
>>
>>64030151
The album is very well produced, and in my opinion there isn't a dull moment from start to finish. These days I've noticed a lot of solo albums have too many features for my tastes (at a certain point it seems less and less like a solo effort) but this album utilized the guest spots very well. Kanye is still spinning his narrative throughout the whole album, but the features 1) compliment the instrumentals/production 2) maintain the sonic aesthetic of the album (aka nobody is especially jarring/out of place) and 3) nobody overstays their welcome. I could go song by song, but I have a big coding assignment due Friday, so I'll keep it relatively shorter.
Kanye's lyricism on this album is also very impressive to me. He was an arrogant Hollywood villain at that point in his career, and this album not only accepted that fact, but played with it: his ego reached new heights with songs like Power, which ultimately led to the WTT project (at least the way I see it). There are lots of quotables on this album and songs which I just want to return to years later.
In conclusion, the album has diversity in excellent production, strong lyrics that stick in your head (even years later), and most importantly, a cohesive experience that lasts from the spoken word introduction to the album's powerful exit (courtesy of Scott-Heron). It's funny at times ("Yeezy taught me") and very serious at others (hell, the non-skit part of Blame Game is pretty damn serious).
I think I've rambled for too long...
I really like the album. It's my favorite Kanye West album and honestly it sits among my favorite modern albums.
>>
>>64030151
beautiful
>>
>>64027792
https://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/14zytx/reddit_what_albums_can_you_listen_to_from_the/c7i2ksa
>>
>>64030167
This is a good example. This Kanyedrone mentions that the album "plays" with his status as a hollywood villain. Ask him to describe how and in what ways it's lyrically impressive and watch the Kanyedrone struggle to articulate what exactly makes any of it good or noteworthy.

Maybe if you're lucky he'll copy and paste a verse that is only marginally related to the "theme" of the album. More likely he'll just regurgitate some shit about how Kanye West was self reflective (to what end, who knows), therefore making it the greatest literary achievement of all time.
>>
One of the most overrated, and mediocre (at best) hip hop records of all time.
And I like hip hop.
5/10
>>
10/10 a modern classic that will be remembered for generations
>>
>>64026734
9/10
>>
I gave it a full listen the other day. Thought it was amazingly crafted. Haven't listened to any of his other albums other than a bit of yeezus which I thought was okay.
>>
File: file.png (76 KB, 151x487) Image search: [Google]
file.png
76 KB, 151x487
>>64030631
here are some objective scores to help you out with your next listen
>>
>>64026734
strong 7/10
>>
>>64028185
>First day on /mu/?
is this YOUR first day? it's just memes you autist.
>>
File: 1366937665978.jpg (149 KB, 907x782) Image search: [Google]
1366937665978.jpg
149 KB, 907x782
>>64026798
Basically
>>
>>64031591
<insert tripfag copypasta here>
>>
>>64031682
should I still pretend to be upset if you didn't actually paste it?
>>
>>64031727
idk t b h f a m
>>
>>64031646
>he doesn't think kanyedrones over analyze this album
>t-t-they're just meming!!

spotted the kanyedrone!
>>
>>64031591
>rating MBDTF anything less than a 4
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.