[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DUH
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: sleep dopesmoker reissue.jpg (64 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
sleep dopesmoker reissue.jpg
64 KB, 560x560
DUH
>>
RUH
>>
O
>>
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP
>>
what's the matter you guys don't like repetitive music?
>>
I've tried listening to this a couple of times but I just don't have the patience. I got like 17 minutes in before I switched to something else.
>>
File: n19Xm.jpg (86 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
n19Xm.jpg
86 KB, 720x960
>>63554974
love this album. it's slow, but it's not repetitive. the rhythm is progressively weaving in and out of different time signatures throughout the entire piece. and the riffing (although played in the same key the entire time) changes structure fairly frequently. here's a riff chart that comes with the CD
>>
>>63555307
hmm, at what point does the first guitar solo happen? i play the album often and i usually switch a couple minutes after the first guitar solo.

also i have this shit on vinyl, and it takes up 3 sides of the double lp, with the 4th side being dedicated to a bonus live track. in this scenario, i usually flip the record but don't have the patience for side 3/4.

by the way, do you have any other experience with comparably repetitive/long songs? is it just Dopesmoker in particular that bores you?
>>
PROCEEDS THE WEEDIAN
NAZARETH
>>
>>63555521
Dopesmoker has bored me the least of songs like this. I've tried listeing to Earth 2 and found it much more boring. Dopesmoker kept me interested longer, so I'll give it that.
>>
>>63555487
This is one of the coolest images I've seen in my life.

They call the first vocal segment "Sonic Titan", which later becomes the name of an additional song?? So Sleep. I Al or Matt wrote Hotel Room in a hotel room.

Then, certain parts of this chart were so fucking arkane and fell that they had to redact that shit and censor it.

As to your point, you are correct, although it is repetitive in terms of how many times they repeat the note "C", there is a tremendous amount of content going on to capture your attention.

But still it's easy to be phased by how tonally repetitive it is, even though it's 'entry level' compared to something like Boris' Absolutego.
>>
>>63555646
>>63555521
christ i sound like a fucking redditor. sorry guys. STAY DOOMED
>>
>>63555646
>But still it's easy to be phased by how tonally repetitive it is
yeah i definitely feel that. also yeah i love the names they have for all of the different parts. i think it's interesting that it both begins and ends with "departure" it seems like their intention was for the album to loop at the end
>>
>>63554974
This album fucking sucks

Hearing all this great stuff about it, seeing the reviews, and when I give it a gander, I'm greeted by this shit

>DROP OUT OF LIFE WITH BONG IN HAND

I listened through it once, and never again. Fantastic cover, polar-opposite music
>>
>>63556139
>he's so opinionated against weed that he lets it affect the way that he appreciates music
>>
>>63556139
Give us a review of it from the perspective of someone who doesn't understand English and has to evaluate it based on the musical elements alone.
>>
>>63556139
Sleep's Holy Mountain is another great gem if you choose to try again

I sometimes like it better
>>
>>63556169
>>63556205
I wasn't stoned to it when I listened to it, but my stoner buddies held up the opinion. I'll have to try it later and hope that it VASTLY improves

>>63556213
I'll look into this. Thanks anon
>>
>>63556337
>I wasn't stoned to it when I listened to it, but my stoner buddies held up the opinion.
I don't know why you are bringing up being stoned, but I smoke no weed and mob to this shit all the time. as fucker points out >>63555487 there is a tremendous amount of content here, you just have to get on its wavelength. i suppose weed helps some people do that and i wish you luck in whatever direction your musical endeavors take you.

also be warned that holy mountain is a lot more lo fi than dopesmoker.
>>
>>63556337
do you like shit like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po8f4dSXgMA
>>
>>63556416
>a lot more lo fi than dopesmoker
Should be a positive thing. I have some 'lo fi' music in my collection that I enjoy
>>63556644
I found this to be thoroughly enjoyable.
>>
>>63554974
Fell in love with this on first listen, and I don't even smoke.
>>
What exactly is "Stoner Metal"?

Are all the lyrics about smoking weed?

That doesn't sound like an interesting album.
>>
>>63557503
stoner metal pertains to the sorts of guitar tones, harmonic properties, and song structures you would expect to find in the genre. lyrics vary and are generally not the focus. a lot of bands resent the term "stoner" and don't want to be associated with drugs, but are grouped under the genre nonetheless.

here's a couple stoner rock songs that aren't about drugs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIG0Yx6q7yk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk5xhxWp2Xk
>>
>>63557553
I'm actually interested in the album OP posted, was just curious is all.

Thanks for clearing that up m8
>>
>>63556841
I don't mean 'lo fi' as in the genre, but simply that the recording quality is worse. i'm sure if sleep could have made Holy Mountain sound like Dopesmoker, they would have. and i think most Sleep fans agree that Holy Mountain recorded with Dopesmoker's production would be a monumentally crushing thing. it wasn't an intentional aesthetic choice, unlike in the case of the genre of music known as 'lo fi'.
>>
File: 1426544414377.jpg (183 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
1426544414377.jpg
183 KB, 1600x1600
>>63555487
>Space Jam
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.