[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
squire vm jazzmasters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
thinking about buying one of these beauties, what is the consensus on them and how do you feel about the guitar 4chan?
>>
I would reccomend looking around for a used jazzmaster. I paid $600 (also traded some cheap equipment so maybe $700 just cash) for a 2014 model a few months back and am really happy with it. Just check out local pawn shops, Craigslist, etc
>>
>>63879337
fender or othewise?
>>
File: IMG_3506.jpg (97 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3506.jpg
97 KB, 480x640
>>63879251
not a JM but i got a VM jag a while ago for $299 and say it's well worth that price. If you're going to spend more just do what >>63879337 said.
>>
>>63879251
Also /mu/ has recently decide they hate JM/JAGS
they constantly get shit on in /gg/ (mostly by the same poster in every other thread)

i understand some of the hate due to faulty bridges and crappy wiring. Also the whole history of jags and JM is evidence of them being an inferior product.

>Jag/JM are released
>Doesn't do well in sales due to all the problems it comes with
>JM/JAGS get sold to pawn shops for cheap
>broke indie band buy them
>become iconic shoegaze and alt guitar
>>
>>63879525
but the pickups on JM's allow for a much fuller sound then a strat
>>
I own an olympic white VMJM.
I've got to give it to squier, it plays great. The wiring sucks, I quickly had issues with volume knobs and a bridge pick up that barely worked. So you've got to accept that there might be future repair costs when picking up this guitar. The pick ups them self sound wonderful, a pretty warm sound that works well with fuzz. I also like using my JM for jazz contexts
>>
>>63879525
lately they've been used by a lotta trendy artist and kids buying them to make shitty bedroom pop, i think thats where a lot of the hate comes from
>>
I might buy a the j mascis jm soon and mod the shit out of it
>>
>>63879251
get the j mascis one
>>
I picked up a mij 90s jag off eBay for $600
They've definitely become a good example of image over substance, but I still enjoy playing it
>>
In the last 15 years, most indierock bands have oozed into the zone of Jaguars and Jazz Masters. They have always been problematic guitars due to the stock bridge configurations and the slider controls getting weird due to dirt. I don't see why a tele 3-way switch or a strat 5-way admits less dirt/grit into itself, but Jag/JM components seem to get dirty and stop working, or it had something to do the wiring associated with the tone switches.

There are a lot of mods and celebrity editions of the Jag/JM, go and find the decriptions in the marketing wank and read what they changed from stock, and you get a better idea the flaws that these guitars commonly exhibit.

also, as per earlier poster, the pickups do have a different sound, though it can be approximated on other makes of guitars.
>>
>>63879938
how so image over substance?
>>
I think those are breddy good guitars OP. I have a Squier Tele and it's a million times nicer than the haters would have you believe. I've played a number of Squier ¥azzmasters and same thing.

I really want the Baritone ¥azzmaster but ain't in the budget for awhile.
>>
>>63879791
This. I replaced the stock bridge immediately after receiving mine and have no issues with it now. The wiring is definitely an issue and the guitar sounds buzzy (even for single coils) when the gain is on and the volume up. But it sounds amazing clean (which I pretty much use mine for exclusively). Here's a short clip of me playing mine over a jazz backing track.

https://clyp.it/y2aqdiml

Audio quality is phone-tier, but I think you can still hear how punchy this thing can get well still sounding balanced.
>>
>>63879251
They are okay as modding platforms, but I don't think they are anything special out of the box. JMJM is much better for only a bit more.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.