[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good contemporary rock bands?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (214 KB, 1035x773) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
214 KB, 1035x773
When it comes to rock music I listen mostly to dad rock like Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, and Pink Floyd. And besides that I listen to a lot of the 90's alt or grunge bands like Radiohead and AiC.

When I look at the contemporary rock scene though I don't see any bands that are any good. Everytime someone recommends a band to me, like Deftones, I listen to their music and find it mediocre. But I want some good new rock music, I'm tired of listening to the same old stuff all the time.

tl;dr who are the best newer/contemporary rock bands?
>>
Ever try Death From Above 1979 or Royal Blood? You might like them.
Black Keys are good blues rock, White Stripes and other Jack White projects are great, The Hives are pretty good garage rock stuff, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club are as well (try Beat The Devil's Tattoo).
Queens of the Stone Age are awesome also but some of their stuff is a little weirder, Songs for the Deaf would be the best place to start probably.
Kyuss were good too, though they're not active anymore. Not sure if you're into that grungy bluesy stoner rock stuff.
>>
>>63850438
Oh and I just thought, if you like The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd, you might also dig The Flaming Lips, Foxygen and Pepper Rabbit. They all take some influence from that 60s & 70s rock/psych rock/pop stuff.
>>
>>63850438
I agree with these recommendations. If you like the 90s rock bands you'll definitely like Royal Blood. They're clearly influence by those bands but still have their own unique sound.

Also if you're into blues rock then I highly recommend Joe Bonamassa and Gary Clark Jr.
>>
>>63850438
Whoooaaa this band Royal Blood sounds awesome so far. Anymore bands like them? I've tried jack whites music before but never really gotten into it for some reason.

Also the black keys are great thanks
>>
The Struts
>>
>>63850941
Isn't that a pop rock band?
>>
>>63851152
No. Classic rock revival.
>>
All Them Witches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtU8DzNQMY8

Uncle Acid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXp38pyx7dg

Elder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZZkuqToY_A
>>
>>63851173
Hmmm lyric driven rock music and light on the instrumentals, sounds like pop rock to me desu
>>
>>63851342
Whatever dude

"Influenced by Queen, the Rolling Stones, Def Leppard, Oasis, and The Libertines, The Struts have been described as "unabashedly over the top retro-fetishist classic rock", "glamourous and dangerous", and as "having a chance to spark a real rock revival with their hooky glam sound, which manages to pay tribute to the classics, while remaining impeccably modern".
>>
Foxygen pissed me off. We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic was so good. Then they put out ...And Star Power.
>>
>>63851382
A pop rock band with classic rock influences
>>
>>63850790
Probably not what you're looking for but something to check out at least is Lightning Bolt, they're like a crazier noisy wild version of DFA or Royal Blood, my personal fave album is Wonderful Rainbow but you might dig Fantasy Empire. I don't know a whole lot that's exactly like Royal Blood really. Maybe try Bass Drum of Death? GB City is the only album I've heard of theirs but it's good. Also, Olneyville Sound System and Mclusky are kinda cool and somewhat like Royal Blood, just more raw.
Also idk if you'd be into FIDLAR or The Orwells but they're worth a listen as well.
>>
>>63850326
try turbowolf
>>
File: Funeral.jpg (162 KB, 953x953) Image search: [Google]
Funeral.jpg
162 KB, 953x953
Arcade Fire man, Arcade Fire
>>
File: 1459531515955.png (6 KB, 390x470) Image search: [Google]
1459531515955.png
6 KB, 390x470
>>63852591
>>
>>63850326
try animal collective :^)
>>
Wolfmother is solid. Sounds a lot liek black sabbath/led zeppelin. Their first album doesnt have any bad songs. I didnt really like the second, but New Crown was awesome and they released on this year that has decent stuff on it
>>
>>63852591
one of the best bands of the 00'
>>
>>63852688
See >>63852639
>>
>>63850326
If you want some local fresh music the Boston scene has been really producing lately.

Kal Marks gives off heavy pixie vibes

Vundabar sounds a lot like interpol

Horse Jumper of Love is slow rock and reminds me of the album stratosphere by duster
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>63852684
>Wolfmother
>>
>>63850326
Royal blood
Rival schools
>>
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KfaQ6pmv18
>>
File: 1442942190102.jpg (87 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1442942190102.jpg
87 KB, 612x612
>>63850326
the best contemporary rock band is most likely Swans, they're not exactly new but they are still making fresh genre-pushing music so I think they count anyway
>>
>>63852684
I second Wolfmother. Not my favorite anymore but given what you're into I think you'd like them, OP. Andrew Stockdale's solo stuff too.

Arcade Fire are a good band especially on the album posted above, but I don't really think they're what OP is looking for. Same with Swans and the stuff resembling Pixies/Interpol/Duster, just not really in the same vein as what he's been into so far, you never know though I guess.
>>
>>63853192
Seconding
>>
>>63853468
Wolfmother are very mediocre desu
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.