[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EDGY MUSIC-RELATED OPINIONS THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 11
File: edgy.png (9 KB, 589x481) Image search: [Google]
edgy.png
9 KB, 589x481
Throw out your edgy opinions, tell people they're wrong/right, and get yelled at online.

>The Undertale OST was one of the best albums of 2015 by far
>Frank Zappa is the greatest musician ever. Not just in terms of influence and innovation, but he has more good albums than any artist ever
>95% of all "indie" music is aesthetic garbage for crosely-donning teens including probably every band you thought of when I said the word
>Ambient music is garbage
>Phillip Glass is a hack
>Since I Left You is terrible
>GY!BE has never had a bad album. Every single one is at least 7/10
>Scaruffi is right 70% of the time when it comes to any album pre-2000s
>Anthony Fantano is a good reviewer and deserves the acclaim he has
>If you took every good Kanye song out of his whole discography you would have one album
>Reddit is ruining /mu/ (see fans of the above artist) but the term is used so falsely the issue can never be addressed properly
>The Books got better with every release
>There are maybe 4 good popular post-rock bands ever
>Fishmans are overrated, but their live album is the greatest live album ever
>There are no good model jazz albums
>Kool Keith > MF DOOM
>Moondog is the best popular composer from the 20th century
>Fetch is Melt Banana's best by far
>King Crimson only has 3 good albums, Discipline, ITCOCK, and Red
>The Olivia Tremor Control suck
>Hatful of Hollow is the best Smiths release by far. The Queen is dead has 4 good tracks and every other album has MAYBE 2
>The Raven That Refused to Sing is better than half of the most acclaimed prog albums because...
>Most prog is ass
>There are no enjoyable microtonal albums
>RYM is the best way by far to discover music

Come at me, I'm ready.
>>
>>63845573
>Hatful of Hollow is the best Smiths release by far. The Queen is dead has 4 good tracks and every other album has MAYBE 2
>RYM is the best way to discover music

agreed
>>
File: 010.jpg (27 KB, 180x77) Image search: [Google]
010.jpg
27 KB, 180x77
>/mu/ sucks
>circlejerks and children are ruining /mu/, not reddit
>The Protomen are not celebrated often on here anymore and that makes me sad, angry, and confused
>>
>RYM is the best way to discover music

I would assume though considering the top 500 charts and whatnot but it's also where the rejects that didn't to the "patrician" throne there first post their charts and profiles here.
>>
>>63845709
>didn't to the

didn't get to the
>>
>>63845625
Since I Left You terrible? How
>>
>>63845573
Are you me, OP?

Except for
I'm not huge on the genre, but saying such a broad genre sucks is dumb. Try Eno or Gas.

>The Olivia Tremor Control suck
every indie kid ever has ruined Elephant 6 for me, but I like these guys still.

>Phillip Glass is a hack
Glassworks is alright. I don't think he deserves all the acclaim he's gotten, but he's pretty good.

>Fishmans are overrated
Glad you like their live album a lot, but they're one of my favorite bands. Memers are ruining them much more than /mu/ is, honestly.

>There are no good model jazz albums
"no"

and the worst offense
>Kool Keith > MF DOOM
NO. I cannot fathom how someone would think this. Kool Keith has two good albums, and MF has made two bad albums. They're not even on the same level, though I do respect Keith.

and
Literally one of my favorite albums

>There are no enjoyable microtonal albums
I haven't enjoyed any electronic microtonal albums, but there's plenty of traditional music written in different methods of theory like some Indian music which uses microtonal notes. You should check that out.
>>
>>63845573
>Frank Zappa is the greatest musician ever.
>Scaruffi is right 70% of the time when it comes to any album pre-2000s

hahahahaha
>>
>>63845742
respect and thanks but SILY still sucks.

>>63845746
how is Zappa not the greatest musician ever? Literally prove me wrong
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 640x283) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 640x283
>>63845573
Sorry
>>
That slint album spiderland is like taking a shit and never whiping. It was not innovative, boring and the Washer song was the cringiest thing I've ever listened to.
>>
>No symphony written after 1940 has any merit
>>
>>63845732
terrible is taking it too far, but i've personally never understood the acclaim. it's... not bad? but i can't see why people love it as much as they do
>>
>>63845772
I got confused at first, but then I realized this is an edgy opinion thread.

Nice job.

>>63845782
>It was not innovative
lmao it literally created like 3 genres
>>
Mac Miller is a pretty good rapper
>>
>>63845709
RYM is better when you use lists + genre/era specific charts + drone certain users who are experts in their genres of choice
>>
File: Theresistance.jpg (25 KB, 318x313) Image search: [Google]
Theresistance.jpg
25 KB, 318x313
>>63845788
>has never listened to Exogenesis
>>
>>63845772
>tripfag on /mu/
>showing off his rym ratings

Nothing wrong here at all.
>>
>Olivia Tremor Control suck

FUCKING
YES

>ooo they go "ahhhhh" and harmonize what amazing 60's esque music

Fuck off
>>
>>63845789
I can understand not liking it, actually. I can get how it would be annoying.

Personally, I just think it's the most detailed album ever. The fact that I've listened to it a hundred times and every time I listen to it again I hear something I didn't catch last time blows my mind. I've never ever gotten tired of it. The closest thing to a perfect album I can imagine.

>>63845782
>Spiderland
>Not innovative
I get not liking it but this just isn't correct dude

>>63845788
define "merit"
>>
>>63845806
yeah, it created butt rock, emocore and post-retard
>>
>Rock was shit, 70s of the same premise with different strumming speeds, only Krautrock and random bands from other genres are worth noting numering less than 20
>Scaruffi, Fantano and Pitchfork have nothing worth hearing
>MC'ing over hip hop music was the worst thing to happen to the genre
>Bleeps are the only relevent genre now
>R&B, soul and funk were better, more interesting and more important than rock ever was
>Most of /mu/core is just Rolling Stones top 500, once removed, nothing noteworthy
>Chamber music is the best form of art music
>Jazz in general is overatted, classical always surpasses it
>House is better than techno
>Breaks are better than house
>Broken beat is better than all, just after breakbeat hardcore
>>
>>63845765
>Literally prove me wrong

Your claim, PROVE yourself right.
>>
hip-hop cannot even be considered music and even in its own genre, is incredibly mediocre i.e. real stand outs are few and far between. the best hip hop album is like a 6/10 at best when compared with other music like rock, jazz, blues etc
>>
If you have a single favorite album, or even a favorite genre, then that gives me the impression that you are judging all music that you listen to with a single set of preferences, and thus have extremely narrow taste.

If you can't change your preferences in order to appreciate different genres of music, you'll always be a pleb.
>>
>>63845882
when /bleep/ goes outside of their containment threads, everyone stops having fun immediately.

>>63845899
http://www.scaruffi.com/vol1/zappa.html

>>63845900
dear god

>>63845912
what if i enjoy a thing more than most other things
>>
>Every single one of /mu/'s opinions revolves around the blad fat ass of Anthony Fantano
>>
>>63845573
Where should I start with Zappa?
>>
>>63845927
Even that opinion?
>>
>>63845925
>http://www.scaruffi.com/vol1/zappa.html

I said PROVE yourself right, not post a link to an irrelevant old hacks website.
>>
>>63845925
>muh geetahs

Fuck off Henry Rollins
>>
>>63845935
he literally said it one of his videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45xt7d6L538
>>
You are all beautiful people and I'm glad to know all of you.
>>
>>63845933
Listen to Freak Out, Hot Rats, and Apostrophe.

If you like Freak Out the most, listen to his early mothers stuff (everything 200 motels and before) ((this is his best era by far))

If you like Hot Rats the most, try out the later Mothers material, his live stuff, and try the above as well

If you like Apostrophe the most try out his comedy era (my least favorite) like Sheik Yerbouti, Joes Garage, and You Are What You Is.

Honestly, Zappa has had good material from 66 til 82 and like 20 worthwhile releases. Some trip from /daily/ has listened to them all, try to reach out to him.
>>
>>63845925
Half of Scaruffi's rating are 5 or 6/10 idk how that translates to proof for the best musician of all time
>>
>>63845927
I watched one of his videos years ago, never again. I don't think we share one artist / album in common. He is no more relevant than RayWillianJohnson and I couldn't give a fuck what he thinks.
>>
>>63845966
>/bleep/boy enjoys less music than me purposely because it has a guitar in it
>thinks he is less narrow minded
hohoho

>>63845945
read the words, bud.

>>63846022
>a 9
>six 8s
>a 7.5
>eight 7s
Therefore more worthwhile releases than any musician ever.

Have you ever read Scaruffi before?
>>
Dean Blunt's a fucking retard for expecting his music to have a sizable black audience.
>>
>>63846069
Scaruffi is just some guy with a website, he is not important or an authority, try again.
>>
File: 5.png (1 MB, 967x553) Image search: [Google]
5.png
1 MB, 967x553
>>63845992

You are literally worse than Hitler.
>>
>>63846088
>co inventor of double album
>inventor of progressive rock
>inventor of using studio as instrument
>was years ahead of any composer
>was decades ahead of any rock artist
>has more worthwhile albums than any artist ever
>excelled in every art form he took on
>creator of avant-prog
>talked shit directly to bowie's ugly ass face
>fucked your mom probably

anything else?
>>
>>63845925
>posts scaruffi link instead of giving his own opinion
/mu/ in a nutshell
>>
>>63846085
lol he actually thinks that?
>>
>>63845573

>Scaruffi is dead right about the Beatles and his meme article is 100 percent correct. However, there is literally nothing wrong with the Beatles.

>Anybody who listens to brutal death metal for reasons other than comedy are idiots.

>The most criminally underratted musicians ever are the big trio of prog folk guitarists from the 1960s and early 1970s - Sandy Bull, John Fahey, and Robbie Basho

>In the Court of the Crimson King has one good track: 21st Century Schizoid Man. The rest of the album is trash.

>Syd Barrett's Floyd was much better than Roger Waters' Floyd.

>Animal Collective is fucking awful.

>Nearly all jazz is very, very bad.
>>
Spiderland is cringey teen angst bullshit with one good track on it (Breadcrumb Trail).
>>
Led Zeppelin is shit

that's my only edgy opinion
>>
I dont need to be a musician to get laid. Because i’m not ugly, i’m white, tall and have a huge dick which at the end of the day is all one needs to have a successful sex life
>>
>>63846175
Only the first two songs are listenable
>>
>>63846146
He talked in one interview about how he was surprised to find out he had a "sexless white male fanbase".
>>
>>63846085
common sense isn't an edgy opinion

>>63846169
I hate to be condescending, but his was me a few years ago. other than the first part I've done a complete 180

>>63846185
>huge dick
>successful sex life
so you've never had sex before, right?

>>63846183
least edgy opinion on /mu/ I've seen today
>>
>>63846191
First and last *
>>
>>63845945

>he thinks he can "prove" facts about the truth values of aesthetic taste.

The only thing that can be said is that he really, really likes Zappa and you don't as much.
>>
>>63845697
/v/irgin detected. Go back to your shithole you faggot.
>>
>>63846220
Exactly.
>>
>>63846088
>>63846022
>>63846022
>>63845945
>>63845899
>>63845746
hey guys I'm still waiting for a response >>63846130
>>
>>63846210

>I hate to be condescending

Well, I could say the same stuff about your current positions, because nearly every item on that list came after a flip, so I could huff my chest and say that I "grew out of your positions" but we both know that since it's music it's really all to each his own.
>>
File: 1457334409555.jpg (109 KB, 657x466) Image search: [Google]
1457334409555.jpg
109 KB, 657x466
>>63846233

Make me ;3
>>
>Unwound is okay but pretty overrated on this board
> Acid techno is generally shit, but acid house is aces
>L.I.E.S hasn't been good for about 2/3 years now and they were always spotty as fuck
>Quaristice and Oversteps are two of Autechre's strongest albums.
>Untold >>>> Any of the rest of the Hessle crew
>""IDM"" in general is stupid as a concept and not an actual genre, but the stuff people classify as breaks based "IDM" is The Worst
>LFO/Mark Bell > RDJ
>Carl Craig > Jeff Mills
>death Grips are total shit
>>
>>63846130
>>co inventor of double album
Bob Dylan and Zappa never collabed with each other.
>>
People who say STGSTV is AnCo's best album are nostalgia fags.
>>
>>63846240
You sound like a teenager idol worshipper. I'm not against Zappa but you sound like some kid arguing if Superman can take on Goku.
>>
>>63846240
Almost half those claims are incorrect or subjective stories based on something you read that's probably why you're not getting the responses you desire.

We get it you like Zappa. That's not an edgy opinion he's pretty regularly regarded as one of the GOATs.
>>
Music might be the dumbest thing in the world and is a huge waste of time. So is posting on 4chan like I am right now but a pot calling a kettle black doesn't mean that the ketlle isn't black.
>>
>>63846245
I see what your saying, but I was among the crowd of

"wow Moonchild SUCKS dude"

and

"AnCo is TRASH why does anyone like this"

when I first came to /mu/ so I honestly thought you were new or something.

Love Fahey and Basho tho.

>>63846266
staple your ass to a ceiling fan and then look up co-inventor Scaruffi said so himself

>>63846268
>nostalgia
literally no one knew about anco untill the 2000s. Are you okay?

>>63846288
>Almost half those claims are incorrect
name one

>>63846278
Superman would kick Goku's ass but Superman sucks anyways.

>>63846290
>>63846290
>>63846290
>>
why is being the first to release a double album important?
>>
>>63845573
>goes to shit on modal jazz
>calls it model jazz

yeah, I don't think you get to have any credibility on this one, I don't have any strong feelings one way or another about modal jazz but I'm definitely only going to listen to opinions from people who can spell it correctly
>>
Literally all of the classic outlaw country musicians have more interesting catalogs than Johnny Cash and the only reason he's revered or the safe classic country music to like is the prison albums + Rick Rubin making him hip to like at the end of his life. American Recordings was good because of Rubin, not Cash.
>>63846307
Scaruffi's such a wonderful source that even wikipedia doesn't acknowledge him as policy.
>>
>>63846324
most rock musicians were barely beginning to make LPs when he came out with Freak Out.

Dylan came first, but Zappa had it planned long before, but was held back by his label on almost every early Mothers' release.
>>
>2016
>taking Scaruffi opinion as fact

Embarrassing.
>>
>I don't enjoy any Elliot Smith album
>Father John Misty is good
>The Replacements are only liked by people trying to prove something
>King Krule is terrible
>Emo is the only viable genre of rock still putting out worthwhile releases
>Boards of Canada and Aphex twin are both incredibly overrated
>>
>>63846363
Sinatra was making albums in the 50s
>>
>>63845573
Nope. Dude's got charisma, but his musicology is quite poor and he doesn't even make up for that by describing music well. Also, his ability to interpret lyrics or any subtext really is hilariously bad.

Moving on...

The Wall sucks

Most post-rock is mostly pretentious shite with very few highlights

The Stooges original trilogy is the greatest music ever made. Music could have just stopped after 1973 and we'd be fine.

Tom Waits is the greatest songwriter of our time

Yeezus is an incredibly important hip hop album
>>
>>63845573
Niggers are ruining modern music
>>
>>63846382
95% of modern music only exists because of ''niggers''
>>
Yeezus>MBDTF
>>
90% of blues musicians were just as bad thieves as LZ were, musically and lyrically.
>>
>>63846364
>2016
>not being able to post right

wow!

>>63846377
"Most"
"Rock"
"Reading the post you are replying to"

>>63846380
>Tom Waits is the greatest songwriter of our time
honestly tho

>Yeezus is an incredibly important hip hop album
how
>>
>>63846377
But unlike Dylan or Zappa he wasn't writing anything on them. He was one of the first recording artists to use albums as artistic statements though, that's true.
>>
All women care about your social statues as a musician more than anything else. She doesn’t care at all about how good you are at writing/composing songs.
Being a technically skilled musician might get you laid if you are lucky, but she will get bored and think you are a loser if you aren’t a popular musician
>>
>>63846402
I don't know, that bit about Yeezus is just me fucking around.
>>
LCD Soundsystem is shit
If you think Weezer was ever good, I will never take your opinion on any music seriously
Gorillaz is shit
Blur is shit
The Smiths have like only 6 good songs and do not have an album better than a 6.5 to 7
David Bowie only has three good albums: Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Blackstar
>>
>>63846324

Good opportunity for an entry into this thread:

DOUBLE ALBUMS AREN'T INNOVATIONS. WHY IN THE FUCK WOULD MERELY HAVING ENOUGH SONGS TO FILL A DOUBLE ALBUM BE AN INNOVATION.
>>
>>63846460
That edgy guy from p4k Chris Ott tweeted "LCD soundsystem is nostalgia music for people who never did anything with their life" and I thought that was pretty great.
>>
File: innovate.png (14 KB, 565x291) Image search: [Google]
innovate.png
14 KB, 565x291
>>63846487
https://www.google.com/search?q=innovating&oq=innovating&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
>>
Sunday at the Village Vanguard is the best jazz album ever
>>
File: 1403297295350.jpg (51 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1403297295350.jpg
51 KB, 640x480
>>63846390
>95%
>swallowing this indoctrination propaganda

keep buying rap albums, Blake, you're the ideal goyim

keep giving the nigger every hard-earned dollar your white grandparents fought and died for

the niggers just deserve it more, they were kings after all
>>
>>63846507

Not him but he clearly meant important or groundbreaking.
>>
>>63846443
Not every women has a shitty attitude about music. Of course it is possible to make a song that she actually really loves. But it’s not likely because there are tons of songs out there
>>
>>63846443
>All women care about is money.

FTFY
>>
>>63846507
To put enough music on two vinyl isn't innovative as you think.
>>
>>63846515
>not waltz for debby
>>
>noise is a legitimate genre
>pulse demon isn't a bad album
>lonerism is 9/10
>some Kpop idol groups make good music
>>
>>63846548
Women aren’t sexually attracted to money. But they will put out for money. But they will cheat on their provider easily if they aren’t attracted to him.
Women do get off on social statues, but even that is not as primal as pure physical attraction
>>
>>63846539
>>63846549
it changed the album format entirely and the idea of what a musical album is. Every album before Blonde on Blonde or Freak Out was "a collection of songs under 45 minutes." The double album opened to flood gates for an album to expand beyond that.

But even beyond that, by creating a concept around the album Freak Out, he also changed the idea for what an album should or has to be. An album can tell a story, have a theme, or be made with the album in mind and not just the individual tracks. Albums would no longer have to be "45s but bigger." This philosophy directly influenced sgt. Pepper's and so on. If you want a more tangible example of this, check out the album he made directly after that.
>>
If you care what any reviewer says, especially over your own opinion you should kill yourself.
>>
>>63846610
A women might cheat on her financial provider for a guy who is socially popular. And get off on the fact that he is popular.
But she would cheat on both those guys for a tall ,strong, good looking man
>>
>>63846625
Sinatra and Guthrie both made concept albums before him.
>>
>>63846625
Highway 61 Revisited was actually the first album that Dylan at least got serious about the album as a concept. He supposedly listened to every possible tracklisting before putting out the final version.

But I do agree with you overall about Freak Out and Blonde on Blonde being more important to albums.
>>
Viper fucking sucks ass
>>
>>63846642
Sometimes women will get off on money. But it’s not the most strong sexual fetish for them. Most women lose respect for men who give them money or spend money on them. They start to see him as a cuckold or a tool
>>
Overall, the 80's were the best decade for music
>>
>>63846690
not edgy and perhaps the most agreeable opinion in this thread
>>
>>63846625
Pet Sounds came out before Freak Out and can be dubbed a "concept album". Also Face to Face was released right after Freak Out and is a concept album.

Good job being a retard and derailing this thread tho
>>
>>63846625
>An album can tell a story, have a theme, or be made with the album in mind and not just the individual tracks

Dude, just shut up.
>>
The second summer of love starting in '88 was the most important era in modern European music culture as it took the American based house and techno and fused it with European attitudes, prowess and compositional excellence to forefront the run of the music that followed on through the rave era, the 90s progression of techno, house, and of course breakbeat hardcore, jungle and all the genres and fusions that followed

Dance music of the 1990s largely rejected the simple, jovial, hedonistic approach to body movement that had ruled since James Brown invented funk music in the 1960s. Disco, techno and house had simply imported new technologies (both for rhythm and arrangements) into the paradigm of funk. The 1990s continued that process, one of the most important ideas to come out of Britain was jungle or drum & bass, a syncopated, polyrhythmic and frantic variant of house, a fusion of hip-hop and techno that relied on extremely fast drum-machines, epileptic breakbeats and huge bass lines.

Few genres of popular music underwent so many changes and reached such ambitious heights as jungle did. Within a few years, jungle musicians were already composing abstract and ambient pieces, integrating breakbeats with pop vocals, adopting jazz improvisation Thanks to ever more intricate beats and to free structures borrowed from jazz, jungle music rapidly became the foundation for a new kind of avantgarde music, pursued by the most austere of the genre's visionaries

It both cemented the death of and proved without doubt that outside of America, the dark ages of rock were dead and merely a passing fad and the progression of funk, soul and rhythm and blues, and via proxy, the music of Jamaica and the influence of hip hop on dance music and indeed hip hop itself showed that electronic music was the natural progression and the rock of the 60s and 70s was a waste of time and a step backwards in music progression.
>>
>>63846690
I agree. People who say that decade was shit are either just people who only like straight-up rock or just look at the surface-level popular shit.
>>
painting with was not poppy enough
>>
In the Wee Small Hours is the ninth studio album by American vocalist Frank Sinatra. It was released in April 1955 on Capitol Records, produced by Voyle Gilmore with arrangements by Nelson Riddle. All the songs on the album deal with specific themes such as loneliness, introspection, lost love, failed relationships, depression and night-life; as a result, In the Wee Small Hours has been called one of the first concept albums.
>>
>>63846746
This is probably the edgiest opinion yet
>>
>>63846669
>He supposedly listened to every possible track listing before putting out the final version
shows that Dylan was a thorough and thoughtful songwriter, but I don't agree this made it a concept album

>>63846660
I would disagree Guthrie had the conceptualization in mind, and more or less just happened to write every song about how the depression sucked, because that was every song he wrote (love him tho). To an extent I would argue this about In the Wee Small Hours.

Even if these were concept albums before Freak Out, Zappa's album had the most impact in this format as "conceptual" and other artists like the Beatles took from him to make concept albums.

>>63846720
>Pet Sounds came out before Freak Out and can be dubbed a "concept album"
What's the concept then?

>Good job being a retard and derailing this thread tho
lmao I'm the OP and people were asking about my edgy opinions and now I'm explaining them.

>>63846758
see above
>>63846728
>the average Zappa hater
>>
>108 replies
>29 posters
>>
>>63846767
>>63846758
retard
>>
nobody over 20 likes death grips
>>
>>63846767
>because that was every song he wrote (love him tho)
Dust Bowl Ballads was specifically about the Dust Bowl and came out in Guthrie's lifetime.
>>
Virling is frowned upon on this site but it's the only way to breakout of the bandcamp/soundcloud bubble
>>
>>63846625

Lee Hazlewood's "Trouble in a Lonesome Town" was a concept album before Blonde on Blonde. Now, it's not great, but it's a concept album. Even earlier: Man in Space With Sounds from 1960.
>>
There isn't enough new political music being made right now
>>
>>63846777
nice trips, but it's because people keep disagreeing with my hot opinons but have failed to prove me wrong.

Sorry man.

>>63846780
>average Zappa hater

>>63846786
what about Death Grips' dad.

>>63846788
I suppose you're correct.

MY REAL ARGUMENT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO SAY THIS WHOLE TIME BUT SUCK AT PHRASING: I still think Zappa was more influential in terms of what a "concept" for an album is and broke the bounds for what an album was supposed to be with Freak Out like no album before.
>>
>>63846767
Not a Zappa hater. Just over the concept of them and sick of people about "muh albums".vI could go on but I'll save that for another derailment thread.
>>
tumblr has better music taste than /mu/
i wish riff raff had died at 15 and never made music
>>
>>63846746
This is an opinion I can get behind. I think just dropping all the experimental stuff now and just making pure pop records would be the way forward for AnCo.
>>
>>63846837
I think the proggy "muh albums" mentality is dumb occasionally, but I'm just arguing Zappa's amazing range of influence, which is hard to deny considering how many people have the "muh albums" mentality, yes? Not arguing that "you can only listen to whole albums" like some progdad or something.
>>
twin infinitives is fucking great, better than tmr
here comes the indian >sung tongs
zen arcade is overrated
lazer guided melodies > ladies and gents...
sebadoh > dinosaur jr.
wowee zowee is kinda boring
>>
>>63846838
Not even.

Tumblr is just less pretetnous and it also depends on what part of tumblr you're on, I know parts of tumblr that fawn over Lana Del Rey and I know parts that love hardcore.

When you say tumblr I for the most part like of kids you like Halsey and Vans Warp Tour-core and that shit is trash.
>>
>a silver mt zion is better than godspeed just because of fuck off get free
>caress of steel is the best rush album
thats all i can really think of for now
>>
>>63846799

Agreed but probably not for the reasons people think.
>>
>>63845573
I wanna know what you think of Velvet Underground OP
>>
>>63846917
and also folk punk is probably the best genre of music right now
>>
Hip hop gets memed at for not being art and not being music because its mostly true.

Hip hop/rap has possibly the lowest barrier of entry in all of music next to the kazoo, which combined with its popularity makes it a breeding ground for trendy no-effort no-talent garbage to not only succeed, but dominate the genre and bleed into the rest of pop music. There are so many layers of "muh celebrity hip hop persona" to cover up so much objectively awful music that even /mu/ consistently falls for it. Pretty soon hip hop will be even cringier than metal and kpop combined.
>>
>>63846945
Their first two albums are two of the most important in rock history and their other two are pretty mediocre, but still good.

WL/WH > VU&N
>>
>>63845868
This. Since I Left You is a remarkable album.
>>
>>63846964
Not everything has to be highbrow snotty bullshit.

Hip Hop is just fun. Hip hop will never be as cringy as Kpop or Metal because both of those were outsider things to begin with.
>>
>>63847034
There is such a good thing as fun hip hop thats actually good, stop acting like they're mutually exclusive so you can defend stupid trendy garbage, its so old.
>>
>all music is subjective and trying to argue even that BOTDF is worse than Wagner is a pointless endeavor
>"getting in to" an album isn't a thing. If you don't like it at first and just keep listening to it for days straight because a Japanese image board told you, you still won't actually appreciate it, the album is just giving yourself Stockholm syndrome
>irony in music other than forms of dramatic irony are complete bullshit and a sign that the writer is a talentless hack
>there is no music that requires intelligence to appreciate
>>
>>63846966
Great opinions all around OP
>>
I like kpop, a lot even
>>
>>63847091
ty
>>
>>63847056
Alright mr. snotty booty.

what is "fun hip hop thats actually good" and you were the one acting like they're exclusive also that being said this site tends to disregard non high brow music.
>>
>>63846799
hip-hop has to be the genre to do it I guess

Sleaford Mods is kind of political at times but maybe more cultural? Good critiques anyway.
>>
>>63847071
Taste is subjective, music isn't compositionally speaking.
>>
File: What the hell happened.jpg (330 KB, 1000x746) Image search: [Google]
What the hell happened.jpg
330 KB, 1000x746
>>63846336
>Scaruffi's such a wonderful source that even wikipedia doesn't acknowledge him as policy.

That only further legitimizes him.
>>
There are better genres than rock and all you faggots need to accept it
>>
>>63847232
I don't listen to genres, I listen to music.
>>
>>63846263
>>Unwound is okay but pretty overrated on this board
anon....
>>
>>63845573
>ITCOCK
kek how have I never noticed this

But I have to disagree, those three are their best but not their only good ones imo
>>
Mark Snow is the greatest instrumental composer working in the film industry; today or at any time before or from now.
>>
>>63847284
listening to movie music

>>>/tv/

now faggot
>>
>>63847134
A lot of the most beloved hip hop artists are pretty comedic or even silly. Some of the ones I like are Kanye, DOOM, El-P, Kool Keith, and Das Racist.

>this site tends to disregard non high brow music
No they just treat fun albums they like with respect, just like any other good album
>>
>>63847323
someone hasn't listened to the amelie ost
>>
>>63847323
Well technically he isn't in the film industry at all.

Check his "career":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Snow
>>
>>63847366
Not really people constantly shit on Rocky or Thug or Future. Those are fun, but they're not talking about getting up like Kedrick.

Also Doom is trash he and Keith Kool are not what comes to mind when I think of fun hip hop
>>
>>63847459
>doom
>fun hip hop
what happened to you as a child?
>>
>>63845573
i dont want to be laurens tampon boy
>>
>>63845573

>>The Undertale OST was one of the best albums of 2015 by far
I have to agree, love playing Fallen Down (Reprise) on piano and flute. the game is also really good, it's the fanbase part that makes me cringe

>>Frank Zappa is the greatest musician ever. Not just in terms of influence and innovation, but he has more good albums than any artist ever
never been a fan of him

>>95% of all "indie" music is aesthetic garbage for crosely-donning teens including probably every band you thought of when I said the word
objectively correct

>>Ambient music is garbage
no

>>Phillip Glass is a hack
he's aight

>>Since I Left You is terrible
it's aight

>>GY!BE has never had a bad album. Every single one is at least 7/10
the definition of a 7/10 band my man

>>Scaruffi is right 70% of the time when it comes to any album pre-2000s
don't care for reviewers

>>Anthony Fantano is a good reviewer and deserves the acclaim he has
no

>>If you took every good Kanye song out of his whole discography you would have one album
he always have some fillers but that's not true

>>Reddit is ruining /mu/ (see fans of the above artist) but the term is used so falsely the issue can never be addressed properly
true

>>There are maybe 4 good popular post-rock bands ever
depends what's "popular" for u

>>There are no good model jazz albums
modal*. false.

>>Moondog is the best popular composer from the 20th century
depends what's "popular" for u

>>The Olivia Tremor Control suck
fuck no

>>Most prog is ass
modern prog - yes; but there are tons of branches of prog so I can't agree

>>There are no enjoyable microtonal albums
Ivor Darreg - Detwelvulate! is fantastic

>>RYM is the best way by far to discover music
esoteric charts are the best

omitted the ones I didn't listen to/don't have a strong opinion on
>>
I prefer /mu/ to Rym in terms of music discovering
>>
>>63846602
all correct
>>
>>63848042
If you been here long enough you'll porbably end up being spoofed by people who discover there music on rym
>>
>>63848097
>there

their
>>
Ariel Pink>Beethoven
Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.