[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Elton John vs Billy Joel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: d9s9.jpg (35 KB, 587x245) Image search: [Google]
d9s9.jpg
35 KB, 587x245
Who sucks harder? I think We Didn't Start The Fire is one of the most horrible songs ever recorded.

If you had to pick one of the two to listen to on a desert island, what would it be?
>>
GODFATHER OF GRIND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLuiVJBZyVM

2:00
>>
>hating on based elton

What are you, some kind of faggot?
>>
>He hasn't heard the live at sigma sound studios sessions
>>
Both were better at ballads than rockers, except Elton's rockers were actually not bad (aside from Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting which is a sorry Rolling Stones imitation) while Billy's attempts at rock (mainly on Glass Houses and Storm Front) were just lulzy.

70s Elton wasn't a bad glam rocker but he really didn't touch Bowie for edgy, revolutionary music.
>>
>>63798660
I agree. I mean, yeah I guess Elton wasn't a bad Jerry Lee Lewis imitator back in the day just as Mark Bolan wasn't bad at resurrecting rockabilly guitar, but neither him or BJ were exactly great at rock-and-roll.
>>
Here in the Big Apple, Billy Joel is a deity and the radio stations play his shit constantly so I want to slit my wrists whenever I hear Piano Man, Scenes From An Italian Restaurant, or Uptown Girl. It's no different than when I lived in San Fran and the radio stations played Journey all the time. Except Journey is a band composed of four people while Billy Joel is one guy with a raging ego which makes him far easier to hate.
>>
Elton was responsible for the lion king soundtrack, and that's a good film.
>>
Eh, at least Elton's songs never had the same pretentiousness about them. Billy Joel epitomizes the smug, self-aggrandizing baby boomer.
>>
Billy Joel has been married to and had sex with some of the hottest women on Earth. Elton John is married to and has had sex with a really ugly man. I know what I'm picking.
>>
>>63798827
all the while pretending not to care
>>
I hate Uptown Girl so freaking much. It's all the worst aspects of the 80s in one song.
>>
Billy Joel has any number of horrifying songs like Piano Man, Allentown, Uptown Girl, and We Didn't Start The Fire. He also has some songs that might be good if they hadn't been destroyed by overplay like An Innocent Man, Vienna, Pressure, and New York State Of Mind.

I object to Elton John's existence on a more fundamental level - he has exactly two indispensable songs, Tiny Dancer and Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters. The rest is just over-the-top flamboyance, camp, and cheese. Even worse when he Disneyfied himself. No, sorry. Fuck his stupid glasses, fuck Levon, and fuck Crocodile Rock.

And don't even get me into the vomit that is Nikita.
>>
Billy Joel had good songs into the 90s. Elton hasn't done squat since Ford was president, also his voice is awful now. I don't hate Piano Man or Uptown Girl or understand why they are hated. No idea how well Billy's voice has held up. I imagine his drinking habit can't be doing him any favors.
>>
'We Didn't Start the Fire' is rip-off of 'Dancing in the Dark'
>>
>>63798777
I still say EJ is more of a vain prick than Joel, but then that comes with the territory of being a gay man.

>Billy Joel simply grew a beard when he began going bald
>Elton initially tried to hide his thinning hair with huge sunglasses, then later switched to hair transplants/weaves when they became available
>Billy Joel has never tried to correct his baldness with toupees/weaves/transplants and even joked about it
>Elton John said it would be unthinkable for him to be seen in public without hair
>Billy Joel had an album Piano Man
>Elton John had an album Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player
>Billy Joel attempted suicide by drinking furniture polish
>Elton John attempted suicide by swallowing painkillers and leaping into a swimming pool
>earlier comment about Billy Joel having sex with supermodels instead of fat gay men

Then again, if I had to buy a greatest hits CDs from either of the two, I'd probably go with Elton's.
>>
Elton's produced more vapid insufferability, more cotton candy, but only because Billy Joel's music is so relentlessly pathological. My bias towards singer-songwriter makes me want to give it to Joel, but the guy really is driven by hate. I guess Elton is better. Ugh.
>>
Elton John made some fantastic albums in the 70s despite having one of the worst songwriters of all time. Honky Chateau and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road are fantastic albums if you ignore the lyrics and the albums surrounding them have an assortment of fine songs.

I like Billy Joel for his one-off New Wave record with Sometimes A Fantasy, Sleeping With The Television On, and All For Leyna being highlights but the embarrassment to quality ratio in his catalog is disturbingly large.

So, Elton is better IMO.
>>
Rocket Man is a classic song, I think Bernie Taupin was trying to warn his charge about his drug intake. Elton has many other goodies while Billy Joel doesn't move me at all.
>>
Billy Joel is great at devising melodies, which he unfortunately always ruins with his awful, formulaic nostalgia exercises, never once going outside the safe conventions of those genres. He had his moments, especially on the 70s albums when he played up/emphasized his New Yorker origins more. By the time Reagan was president, Joel had just about completely perfected his hit machine only for it to be brought down by insufferable annoyingness (Bruce Springsteen did likewise but he had further to fall than BJ and also had more artistic imagination).

Elton John in the 70s was a a titan of glam rock and Beatles-style pop which managed to appeal both to women through its cuteness and to men through its rockiness. This belies the fact that his post-1976 output is mostly forgettable and the B-sides from his 71-76 period are generally meh (and even some of the hits).
>>
>>63799317
I never understood the fixation with Elton's singles, to me his rock numbers seem like a mediocre ripoff of The Band which in of themselves were overrated. Far better were his ballads, some of which were released as singles however the bulk of them are deep album cuts. Captain Fantastic is a top 5 album of its decade for sure. He did began losing it with Island Girl and turned into forgettable pablum afterwards. Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word is his last great song.
>>
>>63799020
>he has exactly two indispensable songs, Tiny Dancer and Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters.

>what is Rocket Man
>>
>people hate either billy joel or elton john or both

What the fuck is going on? Is this normal? Am I a dadrocker by accident? I love these guys.
>>
The Stranger is a decent album and the title track is fantastic, but Elton John is the ultimately more respectable artist.
>>
Yellow Brick Road is a legit good album
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.