[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Makes fun classic rock by calling it "dad rock"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
File: ir.jpg (37 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
ir.jpg
37 KB, 460x276
>Makes fun classic rock by calling it "dad rock"
>listens to the beach boys
>>
By Dad Rock, we mean shit like Bon Jovi, Kiss, Van Halen, hair metal in general, because those bands have no substance compared to the Beach Boys
>>
There's a reason pretty much any crowd digs or at least appreciate the Beach Boys

Is it me or have the boys had more staying power than Beatles?
More kids are into Beach Boys today and their influence on indie music is profound
>>
the beach boys are grandpa rock not dad rock
>>
>>63761158
>Is it me or have the boys had more staying power than Beatles?
It's just you. Alot of people just think they're a tacky surf band that only sings gimmick songs about surfing.

/mu/ is the exception. /mu/ definitely loves The Beach Boys more than The Beatles.
>>
>>63761218
Yeah I can tell you haven't listened to the Beach Boys.
>>
>>63761158
I wouldnt try to compare their fanbases these days

just enjoy, appreciate and maybe take influence
>>
>>63761244
I have. The people who say they're a tacky surf band generally haven't though.
>>
>>63761178
definitely
>>
>>63761254
>The people who say they're a tacky surf band generally haven't though.

They've been a tacky surf band for most of their career, that's simply undeniable
>>
>>63761254
>>63761218
Pet Sounds has sold something like 200k copies in the past 10 years. And BDW is taken pretty seriously as a composer by any music fan
>>
>>63760384
Who's that fat guy second to the left?
>>
>>63761254
And that's why they are circle-jerked in music circles just because they had a baroque pop phase (DUDE WALL OF SOUND LMAO) and the back-story of Smile and Brian Wilson's mental decline. But the "Fucking normies REEEE" don't know about it.
>>
>>63761333
That's Carl u dip

Also based Davis Starks on the left
>>
>>63761304
they were only doing surf songs for the first half of the 60s.
>>
File: untitled2.png (67 KB, 539x467) Image search: [Google]
untitled2.png
67 KB, 539x467
>>63761368
>Davis Starks

Damn dude, you fucking massacred his name.
>>
>>63761360
Yeah all of those academic papers on why PS is one of the best and most influential records of all time is just some online circle jerk. All of those people recognizing his compositional and production ability is just one big circle jerk

Get fucked, this is Beach Boy country, I own this board, and I'm getting sick of pesky kids like you getting in my way, so back off before you get bruised.
>>
>>63761369
What is Kokomo? It isn't surf-cars-girls but it's cheesy beach-like music for sure
>>
>>63761452
Only one Beach Boy was involved in the writing and his name rhymed with Bike Glove
>>
>>63761429
I actually agree about Brian's compositional abilties and think Pet Sounds is a fine album for whatever trend they hopped on for that time but I think that some of you either discovered this album on your "own" here after growing up with the impression that its "DUDE SURFING AND GIRLS LMAO" then to find out they went through a "patrician" phase or you were so messed up at some party that the former who discovered it on their "own" played it at a hipster party out in the city and you're like minds blown like "DUDE THIS ISN'T SURFING AND GIRLS LMAO"
>>
>>63761568
Not him, but you need a break from this board. It looks like you've forgotten how to have a normal conversation.
>>
>>63761600
You need to take a break from your Beach Boys memeposting hugbox threads
>>
IM GETTIN BUGGED DRIVIN DOWN THE SAME OLD STRIP
>>
>>63761452
>Kokomo
That song came out in the 80s without Brian Wilson having anything to do with it. Brian and Al are the genuises behind The Beach Boys.
>>
>>63761820
>forgetting ol brucey

But really all of the members played an important part. Mike was the hip dude that sung about what all the kids wanted to do after school. Dennis was the image, the real Beach Boy, the heart throb that sold a lot of concert tickets. Carl brought the rock n roll factor. AL brought the folk influences. And they all had angelic voices
>>
>>63761099
I dont think youve ever listened to a Van Halen album.
>>
>>63761941
van halen was a racist just like clapton. Good musician none the less.
>>
Listening to dad rock is fine occasionally, you're just a massive pleb if it's the only thing you'll listen to, doubly so if you didn't grow up in the era when they were actually innovative musicians.
>>
>>63760384
Brian looks so much like his current day self here
>>
>>63762292
He's still a kid lmao
>>
>>63761254
I'll give you the fact that for some time they weren't a tacky surf band and we're playing som pretty forward thinking pop music but that's like a hole in the middle of their entire discography. In the beginning they were a tacky surf band and then they did the Pet Sounds phase then they went right on back to tacky surf band.
>>
>>63762035
>the current year
>not being a racist
>>
I WISH
>>
>>63760384
Beach Boys arent dad rock. They never get played on classic rock stations. I consider guitar rock from 70 80s to be dad rock
>>
>>63761099
>Van Halen
>no substance

Fuck off
>>
>>63763547
It's true lol
>>
>>63761178
indeed
>>
>>63762417
62-64
>surf/car songs. a number of brilliant b-sides
65-67
>tremendous creative output. Baroque and psychedelic rock. some of the best music ever recorded
67-68
>laid back lofi. back to the basics. Brian's chill out music
69-74
>rest of the band step up to fill the void left by Brians low input. great underrated albums made during this time
75-on
>band is pretty much done. except for the great Love You, they are now a nostalgia band
>>
>beach boys
>rock

Lol
>>
>>63761820
>forgetting handy landy
>>
>>63761360
fuck off you stupid idiot
>>
>>63763985
essentially exactly this
>>
>>63764548
shut up nerd
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.