[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't take p4k very seriously but does this deserve a 6.2?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: e95ebca3.jpg (113 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
e95ebca3.jpg
113 KB, 680x680
I don't take p4k very seriously but does this deserve a 6.2?
>>
>>63753525
I gave it a 4/10, so yeah, its fucking awful
>>
Pitchfork should have given it a 7.2 instead, that's more fair. Like you mentioned though, Pitchfork is irrelevant.
>>
Yes. Pinkerton fans are so delusional they'll take anything that remotely sounds like Pinkerton and say "omfg Weezer is back holy shit" when they're really still the same band they've been for the past fifteen years.
>>
File: 1455666430611.jpg (21 KB, 206x206) Image search: [Google]
1455666430611.jpg
21 KB, 206x206
I'd argue even less. Weezer is an awful band and has always thrived on whatever current trend they can play their awful music around. they're really no better than a buttrock band
>>
>>63753525
This deserves a 9/10

It's amazing to me and I love it
>>
>>63753538
>>63753553
>>63753576
>>
>>63753576
That's your opinion and I respect it. I enjoyed this album a lot.
>>
desu
baka
senpai
cuck
>>
>>63753580
you have the taste of a middle schooler. Congratz
>>
>>63753599
>>
>>63753580
me too anon. Fuck the haterzz.
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 640x489) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 640x489
>>63753599
I think pic related has made my point

Have a good day anon
>>
I don't like Weezer that much, but I would've given that album 7+, or not less than 6.5 for sure.
>>
It's a solid 7/10 album. Nothing wrong here.
>>
Weezer fans have every right to be excited. No one knows better than a weezer fan how much it sucked to be a weezer fan since basically 2001. Now with ewbaite and especially white we finally have two albums worthy of sitting alongside their first two. At the end of the day it's still just power pop, but I can't help letting the 14 year old in me who knew every word to those first two albums feel really good about this
>>
>>63753599
You know how Middle Schoolers taste?
>>
Looks like Fantano Liked it
>>
File: devito.png (133 KB, 245x269) Image search: [Google]
devito.png
133 KB, 245x269
>>63753599
>Congratz
>>
Yeah it's really nothing special.

And none of the songs are on par with their first two albums so shut the fuck up
>>
Pitchfork saw 'White" and immediately knew they would not give it a good score
>>
>>63754597
>1 april
don't take anything anyone says seriously
>>
>>63755139
Kek
>>
this album sounds like it's stuck in the early 2000s. literal garbage
>>
>>63753576
Oh yeah, this album sounds modern af. >>63753553
Oh yeah, this is in no way an improvement over Raditude and Hurley and Make Believe.
>>63753599
Middle Schoolers don't listen to Weezer anymore.
>>63754597
He did, but this a meme referring to "Damn Daniel" which Weezer endorsed in their LA Girlz video
>>63755075
Endless Bummer and LA Girlz are. King of The World is in ways superior to some earlier material.
>>
>>63755139
LUL
>>
>>63753525
No it doesn't. It's a completely backhanded review.
>>
I think a 7 would have been more appropriate, but it's not an egregiously bad score. Zoe has given worse to better.
>>
>>63753576
This. Weezer has never been good
>>
>>63755240
>>63755452
Damn... I meant to post this one.
>>
Yes, if we aren't punishing albums for being extremely derivative then we should be punishing them for being stuck in the past.
>>
>I only listed to patrician bands like WEEZER
>>
>>63755139
Pretty much this
>>
>/mu/ hates weezer now
What happened?
>>
>>63755634
No one cares about being patrician anymore.
>>
>>63755774

Nobody hates Weezer at all, and that's coming from someone who agrees with the review and saw them perform the songs in a career-spanning set Wednesday night. The whole point wasn't that they suck; it's that at this point, we settle for less. Because as much as fans try to deny it, they will never reach their former glory.

Much of Rivers' appeal stems from his relatability as an underdog and a "beta." At the time they came up, the band were an alternative to edgy Nirvana and the bro-y Chili Peppers, who had feelings and got rekt by qts, who liked action figures and kitty pryde. He's also well-versed in (and obsessed with) writing a good pop song.

Some people say Matt Sharp was the secret to the band's early genius, and I partially agree. But I think it's got more to do with the fact that the lightning-in-a-bottle quality of those two albums showcased that balance of mass appeal and social awkwardness in a way they could never again repeat.

As for why Rivers led the band astray after those 2 albums, I have a few theories.

One is he grew up, got married, and have kids, at which point he divorced from his muse (loneliness). People like white because it's "emotional like pinkerton" and the lyrics are quirky, but I don't hear that anger, that contempt. It feels like character acting and fanservice.

And while we're talking fanservice, that's the other reason White isn't as good as people say it is. I know- "Do You Wanna Get High" sounds like a pinkerton song. That's the point. But at least on the album, the band joked about the pandering, and then avoided it by writing some of their most developed stuff in years ("The British Are Coming" is so great.)

tldr; White's ok. But if literally any other band made this album, we would be writing it off as bland indie pop-rock. The fan bias is showing.
>>
>>63756311

*had kids

sorry, typo
>>
What band today is the Weezer of our time?
>>
>>63756433
I used to think it was Surfer Blood, but they didn't work out.

So I guess..
Sheer Mag
Modern Baseball
Beach Slang
+@
>>
>>63756311
His appeal is subjective and not a valid critique to what the White Album which is 10 SONGS. It's silly to be P4K about it.
>>
>>63756590

you aren't seeing my point. I'm saying that the songs lack the introspection, and that they don't reflect experience in the way that the old material did.
He's trying to play a character and tell a love story from a bleeding-heart perspective. He's writing a record from the kids' point of view. But is that why we listen to weezer? To hear them try and appropriate others' experience? To be the beach boys, as they so clearly want to be?
>>
Easily a solid B+ on the general power pop scale and it might be an actual 8/10 for Weezer diehards because the album goes down so easy!
>>
>>63756433
the Thermals obviously
>>
>>63756888
Dude stop writing like you're a good at it i.e. a p4k reviewer. They're having perspective on how crazy Southern Cali is. That's all this album is. A fly on the wall.
>>
>>63755139
Heh
>>
>>63756511
Well, Surfer Blood had one great album so they're still a contender, that's all Weezer ever did
>>
>>63757015

>>63757015

"Dude stop writing like you're a good at it i.e. a p4k reviewer"

I see we've got a writer in our midst.

Just curious, what are your favorite songs? And if you didn't know it was Weezer, would you still like it the same?
>>
>>63755139
Excellent work anon
>>
>>63757361
LA Girlz and Endless Bummer. I'd actually be blown away if another band came out with those songs and Weezer wasn't already a thing. I don't have unrealistic expectations for random bands. That's that the problem, obviously, is that people like have resorted to calling a fun and gorgeous album like this mediocre because Weezer made the best two Pop records of the 90s. Y'all and can't even admit that though because putting a band like Weezer on the top of your list makes you look less serious or whatever due to the bullshit stigma associated with Weezer since day 1.
>>
>>63757597

What makes you think I'm being contrarian for shits and giggles? Everything Will Be Alright in the End was one of my top 5 favorite albums of 2014. I just think this is a step back.

But at the same time I'm guilty of the same bias. We all are. Everyone's criteria for a good weezer song is different, but I just don't see anyone running back to "Wind in Our Sail," "Jacked Up," "Thank God for Girls," or "California Kids" anytime soon.

That's 4 bad-to-mediocre tracks on a 10-track album, so a 6-7. Last album had 3-5 mediocre cuts, and it was longer. So that's my math.

Anyway, I appreciate comparing notes and the chance to debate.
>>
6/10 album
8/10 Weezer album

Reviewers aren't taking it within the context of "Blue and Pinkerton are very important albums to me and I want Rivers to succeed" like a lot of us are.
>>
>>63756511
Modern Baseball for sure.
>>
>>63753553

This sounds nothing like Pinkerton

If anything the line is it sounds like Blue
>>
>>63756311
well put imo
>>
>>63756511
Yep, but add FIDLAR. Their song "Awkward" is literally the same chords as Undone
>>
>>63755139
ZING
>>
>>63756311
This is super well written and I totally agree.

Except I don't get the appeal of "The British Are Coming" even though so many anons seem to really like it.

What's the appeal?
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.